Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Do you guys still Hype the crowd with the mic??

DJCheLu 7:43 AM - 15 February, 2011
I always let the music hype the crowd personally, but now that i am doing video it seems like there is too much going on with midi controllers etc etc. I went to a club the other night and saw the dj just spinning audio but yelling something on the mic every 5 minutes to try and hype the crowd, couldnt tell if the crowd cared or could careless.

You guys doing video mc your own shows?
DJ Quartz 2:33 PM - 15 February, 2011
From experience the crowd likes when the DJ gets on the Mic and talks to them. If you have a MC, he or she has to be in tune in the crowd or they get annoyed.
djpuma_gemini 4:35 PM - 15 February, 2011
Mc'ing crowd works on the East, Does not necessarily work on West.
Most of us on the West don't ever get on the mic.
djbigboy 4:42 PM - 15 February, 2011
Yes, but not excessively.
DJSIXX 5:37 PM - 15 February, 2011
i do
djnak 8:23 PM - 15 February, 2011
Quote:
Yes, but not excessively.

+1

When its needed or called for, I do not abuse the mic.I personally can not stand a dj who talks to much but well placed/worded hype is a blessing and can do wonders with the crowd.
Joshua Carl 8:42 PM - 15 February, 2011
what I generally apply in most faucets of DJ'ing is what annoys me when Im out.
(disclaimer...not that I think is the be-all-end-all of what is to-do or not-to-do)

but over use of the mic annoys the SHIT out of me.
but even more-so as a dj using the mic to hide your shitty mixing.
or using the mic when the track is in full swing.

Ive always felt that the window for mic use is short on purpose.
and if you have an MC being able to stress the way that THIS particular crowd
reacts to on the mic is vital....he needs to understand, when he's been yelling
for 30 seconds, and people are rolling their eyes, leaving the dancefloor Im gonna
drop out of the loop and goto the track.

in alot of respects its alot like reading the crowd for your programming.
you have to know, or at least test the waters to see if its that kinda crowd that
is gonna get hype off some mic work...and if its NOT...dont FORCE IT!
Ive seen some leftfield shit on the mic. some worked, some didnt.
Ive seen dudes singing the track hooks, shouting out, by name , every single person
in the VIP....and at the end of the day, no matter what happens....
DONT GIVE THE MIC TO THE PROMOTERS!

I will say this, in my experience the mic-work in a straight up hiphop/reggae room is 100x different that any other.....
differenct
DjBoozie 4:38 AM - 16 February, 2011
Never Have Never Will...I just let the music do that.
Dj Nyce 11:27 PM - 16 February, 2011
always have, always will
djbigboy 11:52 PM - 16 February, 2011
I think any dj who dismisses the mic as not necessary is missing an important piece in their dj game....when I first started, I knew it was my weakness, so in college, I took communication classes, radio etc...but just because you can speak on mic means that you should....in most cases, less is more...
djpuma_gemini 11:59 PM - 16 February, 2011
last call for alcohol, last call for alcohol.
Joshua Carl 12:14 AM - 17 February, 2011
"no gentlemen on the stage please.."

"someone get that fat bitch off the stage too"
DJCheLu 1:09 AM - 17 February, 2011
^^LOL well yea saying last call and stuff is a given. IM talking about the djs who yell out City Names, Shoutouts to Crews no one knows, Shouting out your dj name multiple times (I just put my logo on the screens), pointing out hot girls, yelling out facebook urls. etc etc.
DJMark 1:44 AM - 17 February, 2011
The more retarded the crowd, the better the "yelling on the mic" thing will work.
DJ'Que 2:47 AM - 17 February, 2011
From The Wc. Whats A Mic. Havent Ran Across One.
DjFelixFresh 7:26 PM - 17 February, 2011
i rock strip clubs. So I have to rock the mic. haha
DJCheLu 10:06 PM - 17 February, 2011
Quote:
i rock strip clubs. So I have to rock the mic. haha

Man so you have to say "Did you see the spread on Candy, give it up to her mother for raising such a fine woman" hahhaah
djpuma_gemini 10:24 PM - 17 February, 2011
"here comes Bernadette, she has daddy issues and loves long walks around the stage"
Christopher2 1:02 AM - 18 February, 2011
Attention pussy shoppers!
Take advantage of our penny pussy sale!
If you buy one piece of pussy at the regular price, you get another piece of pussy of equal or lesser value for only a penny!
Try and beat pussy for a penny!
If you can find cheaper pussy anywhere else, f*ck it!

Works better on the mic.
DJ Quartz 1:06 AM - 18 February, 2011
Ha ha ha ha, that was a funny part of the movie.
DjFelixFresh 5:53 PM - 18 February, 2011
haha your guys are funny but yeah to almost everything. I have to be as corny as possible. Guys seem to respond better to that kinda stuff. The girls never pay attention, so I get away with saying allot.
O.B.1 5:40 AM - 20 February, 2011
depends on the venue, but generally I agree with the `less is more` but some is necessary` mentality. Some clubs have you in an isolated booth where the crowd never sees you. But at a wedding/strip-club type of event your mic skills (confident public speaking ability) are more important than deck skills. I know these two examples are extreme ends of the spectrum, but it never hurts to improve upon your vocal abilities. Key word: confident

lol at me comparing a wedding to a strip-club, but there are some similarities to the way a DJ would approach it...
DjFelixFresh 4:36 PM - 20 February, 2011
I agree with OB1. I can rock the tables too, so dont think im just a microwave dj. But all I do at the strippy is just play the song. No mix no nothing just talk, drink and cue up the next song.
DJCrank 8:42 PM - 21 February, 2011
I think using the Mic Controls the crowd. You tell them what you want them to do. Sometimes you have to tell them to dance or tip the bartender or whatever. I learned to use the mic when Nelly "Hot in Here" came out. I told this chic to take off her clothes and she took her top off. Dont be afraid of the mic, embrace the Mic. If you think you sound corny on the mic then you probably sound corny in normal conversation...LMAO
Ryan Michaels 5:45 AM - 14 March, 2011
The MIC = Power And Pussy DJ's AND MC's Always Keep This Thought In Mind !!!!!! LOL
Culprit 2:57 PM - 14 March, 2011
When I can I try to bring my own mc, and yes I think on the west coast rocking the mic is still a requirement. Only problem is once you start, everyone wants to do it. That's why it's better to bring a friend along, you rock the mic and have him be the bad guy for the night.
DJCrank 3:38 PM - 14 March, 2011
Man learn how to do that stuff yourself and keep the money in your pocket. I spun at a club once where they had their own hype man(MC), I told them I didnt need him, they said well they still got to pay him out of my check. They pay this clown $100 a week to yell in the mic. I told them I dont need a hype man and that I wanted that money, they said NO. So instead of making $400, I only got $300. I said since yall were gonna pay him anyway, I told him to take the night off and I turned his mic off. I dont need some idiot with bad timing yelling over my scratches, blends and mixes.
Culprit 4:11 PM - 14 March, 2011
It really depends on who you work with I guess. I dont work well with everyone just the mc's I know well. I am a team player tho.
Ryan Michaels 5:26 PM - 14 March, 2011
Quote:
Man learn how to do that stuff yourself and keep the money in your pocket. I spun at a club once where they had their own hype man(MC), I told them I didnt need him, they said well they still got to pay him out of my check. They pay this clown $100 a week to yell in the mic. I told them I dont need a hype man and that I wanted that money, they said NO. So instead of making $400, I only got $300. I said since yall were gonna pay him anyway, I told him to take the night off and I turned his mic off. I dont need some idiot with bad timing yelling over my scratches, blends and mixes.

Thats rite just turn his mic off let him figure out what happen to his mic hahahahah
DouggyFresh 10:28 PM - 20 March, 2011
It depends on the venue and your skills. I like to let the music do the work, but I do work with MC's and they drive me FUCKING CRAZY!!! The club set me up with last year's Spring Break hype man, and after opening at 9pm, before 10pm he had said "Put your hands up" about 300 times. The manager grabbed his mic, brought it to me and said "Do not give him back the mic." He was replaced before 11pm by the other hype man who luckily was coming in for a couple drinks.

My biggest complaint is I always do inter-song instrumental beds every few songs for the hype guy, and it seems invariably, he starts talking over the end of the verse and leaves me with 16 bars of instrumental nothingness.

I do a lot of work with dirty south urban crowds doing 10-1am openings, and have no problem getting a room full of people to go pretty insane without playing peak hour heaters and not even picking up the mic. Then the other DJ's and MC's come in and do the mic thing (usually making a joke about me having to go find where the wireless mic is because I haven't even turned it on yet).

I think I'd use the mic more myself but I don't think I sound good on the mic while trying to do hype. I sound more like a DJ drop / stripclub voice. I do recordings for phone systems as well. I record my own DJ drops also.

I'm trying to improve it for the club, but usually its "If you lost your cell phone please come to the DJ booth, we have it" kind of thing.
DJ Sainte 12:16 AM - 21 March, 2011
Always. Early on when there are few people on the dance floor to remind people of our drink specials & up coming events, than later on just to hype the crowd, maybe every 9-10 song. Some songs just lend themselves to MCing & hyping, ex: DJ Khadled - "All I Do Win"
DeeJay Vibez 11:56 PM - 19 December, 2014
Hello Guys this is DJ Vibez from The Gambia.....actually i have always thought about this Hype thing and just like yall have siad, sometimes its good and sometimes it distracting to the deejay....and you really dont know how to work with a hype man, its even more difficult because you both wont have an understanding....Have being wit some that went bad and i had to call the manager to get the guy outta the booth.....and i have being with some that really do help hyped the crowd and it worked. I think just like someone said it makes sense when you doing hiphop or dancehall....Hyping does blend with genre of music like that.....
Thats my opinion though....nice to learn from you guys....I am happy i found this forum
Culprit 9:01 PM - 20 December, 2014
The biggest complaint I have is people talking way too much on the microphone. I mean, us DJs are blending the songs so an mc isn't really necessary but still good to have for major announcements and a general hype. The talking over every other song is the problem. I go usually every 20 minutes with a 2 or 3 liner and that's it