DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Traktor Scratch Pro 2 announced (videos)

VJ Justin Allen 3:21 PM - 10 February, 2011
I am actually very surprised they did not add video capabilities.
howcome 3:50 PM - 10 February, 2011
Yep, scratching my head over no video.
dirtyonekanobi 3:51 PM - 10 February, 2011
man that's a lot of stuff going on!
DJ_Gr0wTesK 4:21 PM - 10 February, 2011
I'm pretty sure that 90 percent of DJs arent spinning video. Rafik's set in the first video was cool
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:49 PM - 10 February, 2011
wow nice videos. the videos SOLD me. but im sticking with my scratchlive.

there getting above serato these days aint they. im hearing alot of ppl making the switch.

i guess when they do video it will blow video sl under the carpet. and then alot will move over.

hmmm shame. hope serato step up there game on the bug fixes and making better drivers for there hardware, and make scratchlive more stable.
KYLE SMILE 5:02 PM - 10 February, 2011
Excited, i switched 2 months back and can't wait for the upgrade. Still have my SSL as a backup but Traktor are killing it.
Konix 5:11 PM - 10 February, 2011
Ean Golden's video gives some more detailed info... Watchwww.youtube.com
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:22 PM - 10 February, 2011
fook me traktor is in a totaly different legue to serato. All those options. wonder how stable itis and how well there drivers are and the latency.

tobe fare i supose if serato made high quality vids of people using there software it would prob look just as good lol.
snob dee-jays 5:23 PM - 10 February, 2011
they stole the coloured waveforms.
snob dee-jays 5:24 PM - 10 February, 2011
and the clean gui look!
DJBlisk 5:36 PM - 10 February, 2011
Wow
DjWoody 5:44 PM - 10 February, 2011
It looks pretty sweet. Can't wait to download the demo.
Polanka 5:50 PM - 10 February, 2011
Man I am seriously thinking of switching! If they did video I would switch today hands down. Traktor is really stepping up its game! I am downloading the demo as i type.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:59 PM - 10 February, 2011
im acutually fairly confuse don all the shit they have now
DJ Quartz 6:00 PM - 10 February, 2011
The one thing that SSL needs is further zooming. What I have noticed is the waveforms are larger and fast at high resolutions. The vinyl feels directly coupled with the waveform.

Wereas in SSL you have the cache option which fills up the screen but the long waveform view is too long.

I would rather have other controls added to the deck and have a larger shorter waveform view.

That's just my $0.02

Here is what I experienced versus now using both

- No Video
- Sample Decks kills off two virtual decks vs SP-6 is a separate module rack and I can see tempo sync coming to the SP-6 very soon.
- External controllers are necessary for controls where as the 57SL can do alot, more than I even first experienced.
- No Bridge for multi-track recording, it's very handy actually
- Cover Art is using non-standard frames since Traktor Pro 1, so you can't export it to other applications, same with Stripes/Overviews
- Database management with Itch Sync + Analyze is much much easier
- If you tune SSL correctly, the tracking quality is the same
- Hi-Fi resampler makes cuts sound really really authentic
- Whitelabel.net
- Crazy control vinyl selection (If you're a vinyl junkie)
- Effects are good, can't argue that but SSL will get there. They are not too bad already.
- I do miss the playlist vs crate option at times for specific functions. For example a rotating preparation list however the prepare window is very handy.
- Customization of the GUI is a very good feature especially in the virtual decks so you can see more info. SSL could benefit from this for sure.
- No offline player layout, asked for years. Really like it in SSL.
- The audio 8 is crisp but the 57SL sounds damn good too and is standardized, no settings to play around with, etc. Same with the SL boxes.

There's a few more but I just wanted to talk from experience.

It's a wicked product too but there features lacking that I needed to take certain things to the next level for me and just some the services I wanted to add.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:00 PM - 10 February, 2011
Sorry for thick ass question. But can u buy just the new software and use the sl-3 as a soundcard? Or to new to know yet?
DJ Quartz 6:00 PM - 10 February, 2011
No you can't
DJ Quartz 6:03 PM - 10 February, 2011
It's just funny being over here now because SSL has opened doors for me is a different way.

Where as Maschine is going to nuture my production career. Not to mention get it into Ableton and mess with the bridge to see what is possible.
DJ_Gr0wTesK 6:05 PM - 10 February, 2011
yeah you can quartz, I think he's asking if you can use TP2 (not scratch) with an SL3 and the answer is yes to that
RogerRabbit 6:07 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
The one thing that SSL needs is further zooming. What I have noticed is the waveforms are larger and fast at high resolutions. The vinyl feels directly coupled with the waveform.

Wereas in SSL you have the cache option which fills up the screen but the long waveform view is too long.

I would rather have other controls added to the deck and have a larger shorter waveform view.

That's just my $0.02

Here is what I experienced versus now using both

- No Video
- Sample Decks kills off two virtual decks vs SP-6 is a separate module rack and I can see tempo sync coming to the SP-6 very soon.
- External controllers are necessary for controls where as the 57SL can do alot, more than I even first experienced.
- No Bridge for multi-track recording, it's very handy actually
- Cover Art is using non-standard frames since Traktor Pro 1, so you can't export it to other applications, same with Stripes/Overviews
- Database management with Itch Sync + Analyze is much much easier
- If you tune SSL correctly, the tracking quality is the same
- Hi-Fi resampler makes cuts sound really really authentic
- Whitelabel.net
- Crazy control vinyl selection (If you're a vinyl junkie)
- Effects are good, can't argue that but SSL will get there. They are not too bad already.
- I do miss the playlist vs crate option at times for specific functions. For example a rotating preparation list however the prepare window is very handy.
- Customization of the GUI is a very good feature especially in the virtual decks so you can see more info. SSL could benefit from this for sure.
- No offline player layout, asked for years. Really like it in SSL.
- The audio 8 is crisp but the 57SL sounds damn good too and is standardized, no settings to play around with, etc. Same with the SL boxes.

There's a few more but I just wanted to talk from experience.

It's a wicked product too but there features lacking that I needed to take certain things to the next level for me and just some the services I wanted to add.

But this doesn't apply to the new traktor scratch..
DJ Quartz 6:07 PM - 10 February, 2011
Well yeah of course, without timecode control yes.

You can pretty much use any soundcard with ASIO drivers for internal playback, just not time control.

Only certified mixers can do that.
SeriousCyrus 6:08 PM - 10 February, 2011
that is pretty damn cool. Would love a loop recorder, among many of the other things in those vids.
Polanka 6:10 PM - 10 February, 2011
S
Quote:
yeah you can quartz, I think he's asking if you can use TP2 (not scratch) with an SL3 and the answer is yes to that

I am buying it today if it will work with my SL3.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:11 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
Well yeah of course, without timecode control yes.

You can pretty much use any soundcard with ASIO drivers for internal playback, just not time control.

Only certified mixers can do that.

Yes but if im reading that right timecode dosent have anything to do with scratch2 anyway, timecode comes into play with tracktor scratch 2 right, also the mixer dosent matter its the soundcard that matters
DJ Quartz 6:12 PM - 10 February, 2011
I was just going to mention this is why I have Audio 4's because they have headphone outputs.

The Audio 8 also has a mic channel but I have one of those Blue condensor mic's for interviews, freestyles, etc.

So the Audio 4 is a good interface for mobile recording type use other than Traktor Scratch Duo.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:12 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
that is pretty damn cool. Would love a loop recorder, among many of the other things in those vids.

besides the loop recorder (which is bad ass) what else is new\impressive
DJ Quartz 6:13 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:

HOLD UP!!

Double check with Serato support because I remember reading in the 2.2 beta posts that someone had problems getting the SL3 to work with Traktor.
Polanka 6:18 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
HOLD UP!!

Double check with Serato support because I remember reading in the 2.2 beta posts that someone had problems getting the SL3 to work with Traktor.

Thanks for the heads up.
DJ Quartz 6:20 PM - 10 February, 2011
NP man
Konix 6:20 PM - 10 February, 2011
You can use the SL3's ASIO/CoreAudio drivers with regular Traktor Pro yes, but NOT for Traktor Scratch Pro/timecode vinyl control, only NI's soundcards or certifed mixers work for timecode control.

Unless you get the cracked version...
DJ Quartz 6:21 PM - 10 February, 2011
@ Konix,

What I meant is someone had problems getting it to recognize in Traktor itself even with the current ASIO drivers.

I didn't try myself because without Timecode control it was completely pointless in my eyes.

However, if it's been fixed I stand corrected.
mastermind 6:22 PM - 10 February, 2011
wow.... konix you are a rebel
Konix 6:23 PM - 10 February, 2011
I've tested my SL3 and 68 fine with Traktor, so yes. But I'm using Mac/CoreAudio, not PC/ASIO.
SeriousCyrus 6:24 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
besides the loop recorder (which is bad ass) what else is new\impressive

Was trying to keep up with it all. Was doing some cool stuff with the loop recorder, dropping it into a sample slot, then adding a filter to just the new sample. It looked like he was adding cues or loops to the sample, not quite sure, adding more control. I know a lot here won't like it, but it's got autsync on the TTs.

The interface looks very like SSL, I liked the long waveform being directly below the zoomed ones, sounds silly, but I think that's a really good place to have it.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:39 PM - 10 February, 2011
Thanks for the sl-3 debate lol. Now i know so no timecode controll with sl-3 guna stick with scratchlive :-) least 2012 might be a good year new video sl n more scratchlive features and lets hope serato spend the hole of 2011 on stability and bug fixing.
DjWoody 6:39 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
The interface looks very like SSL, I liked the long waveform being directly below the zoomed ones, sounds silly, but I think that's a really good place to have it.

You've always been able to get the interface to look like SSL. It's always been customizable, they just added a preset so you don't have to set it your self.
DjWoody 6:40 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
S
Quote:

Download the trial before you buy.
Polanka 8:13 PM - 10 February, 2011
The trial for the Traktor 2 is on available yet. I cant wait to test it out as soon as its released.
grrillatactics 8:21 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
Excited, i switched 2 months back and can't wait for the upgrade. Still have my SSL as a backup but Traktor are killing it.

I'm in the same boat. Switched at the start of January and am really liking TSP, but my DJ mixer is the 57, so I can always fall back on SSL in a pinch. Nice looking upgrade as well.
DJ Quartz 8:21 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
You've always been able to get the interface to look like SSL. It's always been customizable, they just added a preset so you don't have to set it your self.

Except for the colored waveforms and you can't stack them.
grrillatactics 8:29 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
The trial for the Traktor 2 is on available yet. I cant wait to test it out as soon as its released.

According to the mods over at the NI forum, the trial won't be available until April 1st, same day as the official release of T2.
DjWoody 8:48 PM - 10 February, 2011
Wow! NI is offering a pretty good discount for previous owners. If you own Traktor Scratch Pro with an Audio 8 and you want to a HARDWARE upgrade to Traktor Scratch Pro 2 with the Audio 1, you only pay $449. That's a $220 discount! Serato doesn't do that!
DjWoody 8:49 PM - 10 February, 2011
Ooops *Audio 10
DJ Jonasty 9:22 PM - 10 February, 2011
I'm upgRading my to. For $79 bones, no worries. But unless they have improved hid with cdj 2k I'll stick with ssl
Rob Pointer 9:28 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
It's just funny being over here now because SSL has opened doors for me is a different way.

Where as Maschine is going to nuture my production career. Not to mention get it into Ableton and mess with the bridge to see what is possible.

I am totally the same. I remember you posting over on the NI Traktor forums. Weren't you always asking for more Traktor certified mixers?

lol
grrillatactics 9:30 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
Wow! NI is offering a pretty good discount for previous owners. If you own Traktor Scratch Pro with an Audio 8 and you want to a HARDWARE upgrade to Traktor Scratch Pro 2 with the Audio 1, you only pay $449. That's a $220 discount! Serato doesn't do that!

Yeah, it is a pretty nice deal for the hardware upgrade, and one that has gone largely unnoticed on the NI forum today, with people instead whining about having to pay for a new soundcard (which many don't really need to upgrade to anyway)...

In truth, the average user would probably be fine just upgrading the software, too, which is only an $79 upgrade, which isn't too bad either, especially for those that bought TSP during the 1/2 off sale (like me)!
dirtyonekanobi 9:34 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:

So the Audio 4 is a good interface for mobile recording type use other than Traktor Scratch Duo.

The old Audio4 was AWFUL for recording. There was no way to adjust the levels of incoming digital signals and they came in very very low - IE recording a mix, or sampling from a source other than vinyl. However, I used it for ripping vinyl and it sounds good.
DJ Quartz 9:38 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
I am totally the same. I remember you posting over on the NI Traktor forums. Weren't you always asking for more Traktor certified mixers?

Yep, but a 2-channel mixer specifically = 57SL so I decided to stop asking.

Quote:
he old Audio4 was AWFUL for recording. There was no way to adjust the levels of incoming digital signals and they came in very very low - IE recording a mix, or sampling from a source other than vinyl. However, I used it for ripping vinyl and it sounds good.

The one I have works perfect with my Teac tape deck/cd unit for remastering in Audition, etc...
DJ Quartz 9:40 PM - 10 February, 2011
The other one will be used with my laptop for Maschine when I'm away from home.

My away from home setup...

NS7 + Itch / Itch 2.0 or SSL depending on what happens.
Blue Snowflake USB condensor Microphone
Maschine + Audio 4 DJ for beat production since you have phono/cd plus headphone out.
DJ Quartz 9:42 PM - 10 February, 2011
TTM57SL + SSL + VSL + The Bridge is my new studio DJ setup and main road setup.
djdannyd 9:43 PM - 10 February, 2011
I don't use Itch, but is Itch 2.0 out yet?
ninos 9:43 PM - 10 February, 2011
traktor looks pretty sick not gunna lie. i love how you can change the colors of everything to your own personal likeing. not enough for me to switch tho. i love my 57 and SSL.
djdannyd 9:44 PM - 10 February, 2011
Ninos, that's exactly what I thought. My 2 year old likes all the color schemes...
mkdva 9:50 PM - 10 February, 2011
Traktor Scratch PRO2 Full Version $669 / 599 € vs SL3 700$ / 700€ vs SL4 900$ / 900€
Traktor Scratch DUO2 Full Version $399 / 349€ vs SL1 540$ / 540€
Anyway, I'm gonna wait to see if something like TTM58 or Empath SL will appear soon.
djdannyd 9:57 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
Anyway, I'm gonna wait to see if something like TTM58 or Empath SL will appear soon.

you'll be waiting a looooooooooooooooong time.....
Evon 10:06 PM - 10 February, 2011
Really impressed by NI. The UI looks amazing. Too bad I can't afford more gear now :(
Hopefully Serato will answer. Got a feeling they do. Been quiet on the forum lateley. They must be working on something great:=)
mkdva 10:26 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

you'll be waiting a looooooooooooooooong time.....

Yes, I need time to save some money. A lot of money. Already have 10$.
DJ Quartz 10:46 PM - 10 February, 2011
Itch 2.0 is not out yet, that was a 'in future' statement.
snob dee-jays 11:08 PM - 10 February, 2011
the day that i wil switch to traktor is the day that i get deaf in the ears.
so i can use sync for a reason :p

not even then because i bought ableton.
Laz219 11:09 PM - 10 February, 2011
As much as this version of Traktor does look a lot nicer (than before, the old interface was a mess) I can't see a single thing in it I'd actually use that SSL doesn't have.
smokeyjoe 11:12 PM - 10 February, 2011
You got to laugh if you have bought the s4 and you want the timecode option it another $139

lol
C. William 11:17 PM - 10 February, 2011
The GUI design is sick
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:25 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
You got to laugh if you have bought the s4 and you want the timecode option it another $139

lol

y ai was just reading that, thats crazy like heres a live 4 channel mixer BUT your gonna need to fork out another $139 to use 2 of the 4 channels
DJ_Gr0wTesK 11:26 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:

lol

if you own both the s4 and TSP then the update is free.

if you own an S4 without previously owning tsp then you pay 140 for that functionality.
Mr Wilks 11:58 PM - 10 February, 2011
I took advantage of the half price deal in November and i'll upgrade. I've not used it much since i got it as i missed SL's detailed waveforms. I'll definitely be upgrading as this adds what i want now.

In Scratch Live i never want sync in the virtual decks but i do in the sampler. Traktor Pro 2 will add this and i'll try it,

SL will always be my number one but now Native have really stepped up their game with this release and i'll try it live.

Have they plagiarised Scratch Live? Elements of it, maybe.
Am i bothered? Not really as i have both to choose from (three if you count Torq 2.0)

Oh and i do live the detailed waveforms. They look a lil' better than SL's now! Shame as i always banged on how accurate SL's was... i think Serato will respond sooner or later and that's gotta be exciting as i'm also planning on getting the SL4.
djdannyd 12:14 AM - 11 February, 2011
I also got the 1/2 off deal late last year. I've been using it since, I really don't miss SSL; I am doing just fine with TSP. I am getting good use out of it and will upgrade since it already paid for itself and then some.

Waiting for "The next big thing" from Serato so I can go back...but at this point, I am not easily impressed anymore.
Polanka 12:21 AM - 11 February, 2011
I hope Serato is woking on a Video Sl update. Its been a long time since the last release. Native Instruments has done a great job with TP2. As soon as they officially release it I am buying it, just to see how it performs live.
serkan 12:26 AM - 11 February, 2011
Damn, NI did some really good things with TSP2.

- coloured waveforms
- clean GUI (compared to TSP, not SL)
- they already have FLAC support and a better keylock

...and I have a TS certified mixer so I could get a TSP2 upgrade for €299!
I don't know about switching.
But I'm definitely will get the upgrade pack while keeping my Rane SL1.
dj pesh 12:29 AM - 11 February, 2011
I gotta say it does look good. Wouldnt mind having a play on it.
DJ Remy USA 12:35 AM - 11 February, 2011
I just got my 57 last month. I been using SSL for like 3 years now and I have owned traktor for about 2 years and still havent used it longer than a week. Ima give it a try but really all SSL needs to compete is more cue points and sync for the sampler. Which I see coming soon before the year is out. I like the competition for SSL helps them stay relevant but I think SSL has there own thing going with ableton and the bridge so this Traktors response imo
DJ_Gr0wTesK 12:41 AM - 11 February, 2011
who is really using the bridge like that though? I'm still waiting to be impressed by that (so far the only videos Ive seen is of people launching loops etc (which is exactly what the sample decks in tp2 are doing). TP2 is now offering the ability for 4 sample decks with 4 samples each in them, i can see some cool stuff coming from that
Mr Wilks 12:53 AM - 11 February, 2011
Once sync is released in SL SP-6 then it will do what TSP sampler does. I can only hope they do and SOON.

We can already drag a loop into a sample slot and have it play exactly the same (and more). It's just the sync it's missing. It will come eventually as beat grids are there already.

It's interesting in how the response from Scratch Live users is pretty positive about the Traktor release but in the Traktor forums the first few pages seem i little uninspired by the release. I think they expected a lil' more (maybe i did as an SL user). Especially down the Maschine V's The Bridge route.
Mr Wilks 12:54 AM - 11 February, 2011
Oh and SL's 6 sample banks x4 will be better...
Laz219 1:00 AM - 11 February, 2011
I Think it's just the way things go Mr Wilks, whenever a new version of SSL is released even with a ton of new and requested features people always pick the negatives and what is missing.

I Don't think there is anything really that huge for existing TSP users though, new soundcards and a nicer GUI seems to be the core of it.
DJ_Gr0wTesK 1:03 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:

how will they be better?
Mr Wilks 1:06 AM - 11 February, 2011
Totally agree Laz219.

For a $79 upgrade fee...

New waveforms
Four new effects
Better customisation of the screen
Sample recorder

Did i miss something out?
DJ_Gr0wTesK 1:09 AM - 11 February, 2011
sample players and loop recorder are two separate features
Mr Wilks 1:10 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

how will they be better?

Well if the sync is enabled (which i was talking about a few posts up but forgot to put on that post - oops) then they will perform kinda the same functionality but have x4 more banks A-B-C-D to load more samples in. There are loads of additional features in the SL sample player and the Traktor sample player. The only additional benefit is recording a loop from an external source.
Mike_P 1:35 AM - 11 February, 2011
is it just me or does there seem to be a whole hell of a lot of hardware that needs to be implemented to take advantage of all they're pushing?
Anu 1:40 AM - 11 February, 2011
I would like to see what CPU load is with the sample decks and efx going....

The Bridge is murdering my MBP 2.4 CPU....
DJ_Gr0wTesK 1:42 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
is it just me or does there seem to be a whole hell of a lot of hardware that needs to be implemented to take advantage of all they're pushing?

what do you mean? the sound cards take care of the audio part, and the keyboard or whatever midi controllers
DJ Quartz 1:49 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
how will they be better?

24 banks instead of just 8
Mike_P 2:27 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

what do you mean? the sound cards take care of the audio part, and the keyboard or whatever midi controllers

Exactly, a lot of controllers
DJ Quartz 2:30 AM - 11 February, 2011
Interesting Audio 10 5-IN / 5-OUT single USB port vs SL4 5-IN / 5-OUT two USB ports.
DJ_Gr0wTesK 3:05 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly, a lot of controllers

well i mean, it's up to each individual dj to determine what functionality he wants and how he wants to access it. Choices.
bartmixer 3:42 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Interesting Audio 10 5-IN / 5-OUT single USB port vs SL4 5-IN / 5-OUT two USB ports.

Yes but the price will not be the same !!!!
RogerRabbit 5:40 AM - 11 February, 2011
Competition is a good thing.. I was thinking of upgrading to a sl3 but now I am not so sure...
RAYSH 5:40 AM - 11 February, 2011
i'm not sure wether i interpreted this correctly, but from the first video, it appears that you can load a song into a deck (or what we know as the shortcut shift+left / right arrow) and not only would the track automatically play, but also be in sync. would i be correct in saying this? If so, you could mix ridiculously fast.

I also noticed you can record internally without having to hook up another rca to aux. would be good if you could do this in SL in the next update
DJ_Gr0wTesK 5:46 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
i'm not sure wether i interpreted this correctly, but from the first video, it appears that you can load a song into a deck (or what we know as the shortcut shift+left / right arrow) and not only would the track automatically play, but also be in sync. would i be correct in saying this? If so, you could mix ridiculously fast.

yeah that's exactly what's going on. It basically moves the pitch fader for you automatically and all you need to do is match phases

Quote:

I also noticed you can record internally without having to hook up another rca to aux. would be good if you could do this in SL in the next update

you can only record internally like that if you're mixing internally
Henry GQ 5:53 AM - 11 February, 2011
if traktor did video, i would be temped to check it out as well. would be interesting if Mix Emergency collaborated with them. that..... would..... be... very interesting
RAYSH 5:53 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

yeah that's exactly what's going on. It basically moves the pitch fader for you automatically and all you need to do is match phases

holy cow! that IS impressive. I wish you could do this in SL - yes i know we have the bridge, but having it internally as a feature is just WOW. Rane / Serato...please take note!
DJ_Gr0wTesK 5:55 AM - 11 February, 2011
it's what everyone calls "auto sync" and hates on, I dont see when as all it's doing is matching BPMs, but it's cool to hate sync on the serato forums

that is until Scratch Live gets it haha
RAYSH 5:59 AM - 11 February, 2011
don't want to digress - but isn't the bridge more or less auto syc - you pre-warp the sample in ableton and trigger it with a midi controller - that is auto syc!
DjWoody 6:13 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
don't want to digress - but isn't the bridge more or less auto syc - you pre-warp the sample in ableton and trigger it with a midi controller - that is auto syc!

Yes, it even has a sync button. Scratch Live already has Sync built in and most DJ's use it every day, but for some reason Serato DJ's don't want to admit it. It's called Vertical Waveforms.
RAYSH 6:19 AM - 11 February, 2011
hahahaha so true^^^
RAYSH 6:21 AM - 11 February, 2011
it doesn't look like the new traktor has an option for vertical waveforms. they copied SL's color waveforms, but they didn't copy the option to "visually beatmatch" by having side by side waveforms like SL
RogerRabbit 6:22 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
it doesn't look like the new traktor has an option for vertical waveforms. they copied SL's color waveforms, but they didn't copy the option to "visually beatmatch" by having side by side waveforms like SL

maybe in 2.3..
DJ_Gr0wTesK 6:25 AM - 11 February, 2011
I doubt NI will ever stack the waveforms. The feel that it's unnecessary (which it is) especially with their phase meter and sync, but it would be nice to have the option in TSP.
RogerRabbit 6:27 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
I doubt NI will ever stack the waveforms. The feel that it's unnecessary (which it is) especially with their phase meter and sync, but it would be nice to have the option in TSP.

True.. I love the effects in their software...
DjWoody 6:31 AM - 11 February, 2011
If you hide the phase meter and the sync button, it's just like you should. You have to use your ears to mix.
RogerRabbit 6:40 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
If you hide the phase meter and the sync button, it's just like you should. You have to use your ears to mix.

Not other sync debate please..

Tracktor had sync for years - so it shouldn't be much of an issue... But all the other new features/new hardware they implemented which makes the product more interesting..
DjWoody 6:47 AM - 11 February, 2011
Ha! I'm not debating anything, I'm just mentioning how you can turn Sync off.

Speaking of hardware, I'm surprised no one has mentioned they got rid of their core cables and they're back to normal RCA's. That's a HUGE + in my book. I hated those cables.
RAYSH 10:15 AM - 11 February, 2011
So the way I'm interpreting it is that the phase meter is traktors equivalent to the paralleled waveforms in SL

is it that little bar above the waveform in traktor? is that it?
RAYSH 10:16 AM - 11 February, 2011
***So the way I'm interpreting it is that the phase meter is traktor IS equivalent to the paralleled waveforms in SL

is it that little bar above the waveform in traktor?
Mr Wilks 10:26 AM - 11 February, 2011
I'd say it's pretty similar RAYSH.

They don't look the same but you use them the same as you would when you "waveride" in Scratch Live.

I turn them off when i use TSP but it's a good option to have for people beginning.
RAYSH 10:29 AM - 11 February, 2011
would it be easier / more intuitive to use than "waveriding" in SSL?
blackavenger 10:33 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
I can see tempo sync coming to the SP-6 very soon.

Keep dreaming....I've been (still am) requesting that since the SP-6 was first announced!
Mr Wilks 10:40 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
would it be easier / more intuitive to use than "waveriding" in SSL?

It's pretty much the same to be honest. There is a bar that starts in the middle on the downbeat. Then as it slips out, the bar moves to the left or to the right depending if the track is too fast or too slow. As the track slips further out then it moves further across the bar. Nudge the record until the bar returns to the middle.

It's exactly the same principle as when the waveform moved to the left or right in Scratch Live.
RAYSH 10:56 AM - 11 February, 2011
i gotta say say, and serato staffers will hate me saying this on these forums, but after seeing those videos i'm very keen to get traktor. or at least give it a try. I wonder if its just "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence"
Mr Wilks 11:13 AM - 11 February, 2011
I didn't make the switch permanently but i did buy TSP with the Audio 8 during their sale and used it live for about a week.

The new version of TSP 2 will make me use it more. I won't switch but i will use them both in different situations.

TSP has many features SL doesn't but the core basics in SL are better than TSP for ease of use.

The best thing to do is download the trial on April 1st and play. I think you'll like it but whether or not you make the switch is another matter. Personally, if SL incorporated sync to the sampler then i'd probably stick with SL but i think that TSP could become my new EDM tool now due to a more features that i would actually use. Who knows? I love SL but i'm in the lucky position of owning both so i can just use what i see fit at the time.

Just my 2p worth
RAYSH 11:25 AM - 11 February, 2011
Wilks, what do you play more? EDM or Hip Hop?
Mr Wilks 11:28 AM - 11 February, 2011
Oh and i do think that there is a renewed "buzz" surrounding TSP that had died down after the initial video. That was partially due to a lack of concrete info but still, the buzz had simmered after a while.

The same will happen again when Serato unveil a new feature to keep existing users happy and the "buzz" will be back but on these forums.

I just can't wait to see the new feature Serato unleash on us next. It won't be any time soon but you can bet that in Serato HQ there will be a whiteboard with a product roadmap on it and there will be lots of ideas and some will have been written in green or red... maybe even circled!
Mr Wilks 11:30 AM - 11 February, 2011
I play EDM and party with some classics to cheesy pop thrown in.

This weekend is a 80's weekend for me with a few good 80's retro stars here too so i'll be doing a classic 80's club/pop mix.

It's a popular UK holiday company/destination.
blackavenger 11:36 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
I just got my 57 last month. I been using SSL for like 3 years now and I have owned traktor for about 2 years and still havent used it longer than a week. Ima give it a try but really all SSL needs to compete is more cue points and sync for the sampler. Which I see coming soon before the year is out. I like the competition for SSL helps them stay relevant but I think SSL has there own thing going with ableton and the bridge so this Traktors response imo

Sure, ScratchLIVE & Ableton is dope, but it's also a hefty investment! TSP2 & Machine gives you essentially the same functionality, at a much, much lower price!

I'll probably snatch the demo...use it on my TS Certified mixer (I already sold my previously purchased TSP system). If I like it, I'll buy it. Traktor Scratch Pro offers now offers many of the features I/We have been requesting of Serato for years.....

1. Better Keylock Algorithm
2. FLAC support
3 Tempo-Sync'd Sample Players
4. Sample Players are Recorders as well.....so cool!
5. More User Customization
6. In-Depth Internal Effects (not so important to me, but it's nice that they're there)

I sure hope the reason that Serato have been MIA from the forums is because they too are working on a game changer....'cause if not, there will be many peeps jumping ship now!

I'm still up in the air about it......I hated my TSP, but those new features sure are nice!
RAYSH 11:42 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
I play EDM

from your experience of using both systems,would you say that serato is more hip hop-friendly?
Mr Wilks 11:53 AM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I play EDM

from your experience of using both systems,would you say that serato is more hip hop-friendly?

From my own experience Raysh, Scratch Live is better for hip-hop and Traktor for EDM.

It's only my personal preference and some may (and will) disagree. I use Scratch Live for EDM too so i'm happy with both in any situation.

Hope that helps.
Evon 11:53 AM - 11 February, 2011
Must say I'm tempted to buy the S4 with timecode license. Then I can rock the turntables on two decks and midi jogweels on the other two and only bring the S4 to gigs, leaving my heavy babies at home. To me this seem like the ultimate setup.
If this new software is reliable with all these new features Serato does have a lot of work to do.
Its getting to a point where its not really a competition anymore. Both Traktor and Serato are equally stable. Traktor got more features. Traktor is cheaper. Traktor got more flexibility deck control and midi out.
To choose anything else but traktor at the moment doesn't seem logical to me.
If you asked me a year ago I was confident I had the best DVS, Now it feels like I have the second best unfortunately :(

Quote:

It is a workaround for this. If you load a song to a deck first and then drag it to sample player It will stay in exsact BPM. But using turntables you will have to nudge here and there to keep it in sync because of the drift.
Mr Wilks 12:00 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:

If this new software is reliable with all these new features Serato does have a lot of work to do.
Its getting to a point where its not really a competition anymore. Both Traktor and Serato are equally stable. Traktor got more features. Traktor is cheaper. Traktor got more flexibility deck control and midi out.
If you asked me a year ago I was confident I had the best DVS, Now it feels like I have the second best unfortunately :(

Quote:

It is a workaround for this. If you load a song to a deck first and then drag it to sample player It will stay in exsact BPM. But using turntables you will have to nudge here and there to keep it in sync because of the drift.

I agree with you Evon in every way there.

Oh and i also use that method for looping in the SP-6 and it works fine. It's just pretty frustrating knowing there are beatgrids in my songs and the SP-6 can't use them :(
RAYSH 12:29 PM - 11 February, 2011
maybe this is a plausible theory - one of the key components of the bridge is to launch synced samples. so having the SP-6 synced would make one of the main features of the bridge redundant THEREFORE pissing off people at ableton. maybe serato just don't want to step on anyone's toes?
DJ Quartz 12:50 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
maybe this is a plausible theory - one of the key components of the bridge is to launch synced samples. so having the SP-6 synced would make one of the main features of the bridge redundant THEREFORE pissing off people at ableton. maybe serato just don't want to step on anyone's toes?

The Bridge can be used for MUCH more than just syncing samples. They could do it and it wouldn't be killing Bridge.

I like the SP-6 better because you have 24 banks vs 8 and you still have four decks available if you want.
RAYSH 12:54 PM - 11 February, 2011
im happy that once you buy your SL1/3/4 you are making an investment for future software updates. let's hope that serato try to one-up native instruments in the coming updates by implementing such things.

something i've been wondering... who is the bigger company with more money and resources - native instruments or serato?
blackavenger 1:09 PM - 11 February, 2011
^ Definitely, Native ^
Mr Wilks 1:10 PM - 11 February, 2011
It's gotta be Native Instruments. They sell plenty of other studio plug-in's and software plus make money from upgrades.

With the Rane/Serato relationship they will do a deal and split money between the two but with Native they get to keep all the cash. It's a win/win for them.
RAYSH 1:15 PM - 11 February, 2011
and how ironic is it that serato is BY FAR the most popular DVS
KYLE SMILE 1:54 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:

It's not ironic, cos it's not?
skratchworx 2:05 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:

That does rather depend on the region. In Europe it's an entirely different matter.
RAYSH 2:18 PM - 11 February, 2011
i wonder what the comparison is worldwide
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:34 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:

How many video effects does traktor come with??....oh...ya thats right nevermind :P
skratchworx 2:53 PM - 11 February, 2011
But don't you have to pay £200/$200 to buy Video-SL to use them?

Just how popular is video right now anyway? We know NI are looking at it, but it's a long way from mainstream.
Mr Wilks 2:56 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

How many video effects does traktor come with??....oh...ya thats right nevermind :P

Should we really compare the two in this situation? I'm asking as i don't really know if to or not as in reality it's exactly same amount of video effects in Traktor as Scratch Live (zero) due to video not actually being a part of Scratch Live but as a separate program that installs separately and plugs-in. That and the $199 price tag on top.

I'm all for SL but don't think the video side could be compared fairly as technically they both don't do video. I think that's the best way of putting it.
Mr Wilks 2:57 PM - 11 February, 2011
Beaten to it by Scratchworx by a second!
Mr Wilks 3:02 PM - 11 February, 2011
I don't know anyone using video in the north of the UK from memory. I want to eventually create a set up and use The Bridge, an SL4 and Video SL with two of us in a similar fashion to 2 many DJ's.

We tried video at two venues at our holiday park and both hold just under 2000 people each. People just stop and watch the screens if it's too good and when you can get Arkaos for the price of Video SL that made more sense for us.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:24 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Should we really compare the two in this situation? I'm asking as i don't really know if to or not as in reality it's exactly same amount of video effects in Traktor as Scratch Live (zero) due to video not actually being a part of Scratch Live but as a separate program that installs separately and plugs-in. That and the $199 price tag on top.

kinda like all the upgrade fees when going from TSP1 to TSP 2, and the upgrade fee to use your other 2 channels on the S4?

Quote:

I'm all for SL but don't think the video side could be compared fairly as technically they both don't do video

thats the point
DJ_Gr0wTesK 3:32 PM - 11 February, 2011
well when you bought the S4, you bout the S4. you CAN use the 4 channels of the S4 in the new TP2 software (which is a FREE upgrade for S4 owners).

if you're an S4 owner and you want SCRATCH functionality (which not everyone does, and which is a pretty big NEW feature to the S4) then you pay an upgrade fee
DJ_Gr0wTesK 3:50 PM - 11 February, 2011
and sure NI has you pay for updates, but you pretty much have to pay to use the new features of scratch live as well. Want a 3rd deck? need an SL3. Want the bridge? need an sl3 & ableton live. Want a 4th deck? need an SL4 or 68.

and the upgrade prices on Rane's hardware is far more expensive than NI's
Mr Wilks 3:52 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

kinda like all the upgrade fees when going from TSP1 to TSP 2, and the upgrade fee to use your other 2 channels on the S4?

Quote:

I'm all for SL but don't think the video side could be compared fairly as technically they both don't do video

thats the point

Upgrade fees are always optional as TSP 1 will be still functional. I think as SL users we forget that most software all over the net is a paid upgrade. We get many new toys to play with but never really think about how lucky we are.

Would SL be as popular if they introduced upgrade fees? Yes.
It's not stopped Native from closing the gap.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:54 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Want the bridge? need an sl3 & ableton live.

since when do you need a SL3 to sue the bridge??
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:54 PM - 11 February, 2011
*use
RogerRabbit 3:54 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Upgrade fees are always optional as TSP 1 will be still functional. I think as SL users we forget that most software all over the net is a paid upgrade. We get many new toys to play with but never really think about how lucky we are.

Yeah - people always bitching about upgrade fees - like they not getting paid at there gigs..
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:57 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah - people always bitching about upgrade fees - like they not getting paid at there gigs..

LMFAO,,,god i love these threads their such a circle of insanity

Me: Ill stick with SL because it can do video
Traktorboy: BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR VIDEO
Me: Well you have to pay for all updated to traktor
Traktorboy: People are always bitching about having to pay for things

or the classic

Traktorboy: Traktor does SOOO much more than SL
Me: It dosent do video though
Traktorboy: Why are you talking about video Traktor dosent even do that so its pointless to talk about

RogerRabbit 4:01 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

or the classic

Traktorboy: Why are you talking about video Traktor dosent even do that so its pointless to talk about

We you need video - stick with ssl - its pretty simple..

If you don't need video - traktor is a GREAT alternative..

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself - on why you should stick to ssl..
DJ Quartz 4:07 PM - 11 February, 2011
Someone mentioned Mix Emergency, I asked Inklen about Traktor support before I made my final decision and they said No.
Evon 4:07 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:

Maybe in the US. Not so sure about Europe. More djs are starting to use Traktor here.
Mr Wilks 4:09 PM - 11 February, 2011
I don't mind throwing a few quid at an upgrade if it fulfilled my needs. I'd love it for free but that ain't gonna happen as regards to Native.

Just thought i'd add that i love my SL1 and will be upgrading to an SL4 as said a few posts up as i want to do video eventually. I've had TSP with an Audio 8 for three months and used it for a week... MAX. I will be upgrading though as i want to learn TSP as well now i can sync my samples and do a Bridge style set :)

For someone who doesn't use video in their sets then Traktor can't be ignored now. For those that do want video then you have the choice of SSL too. Horses for courses.

I love choice me xx
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:18 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

or the classic

We you need video - stick with ssl - its pretty simple..

If you don't need video - traktor is a GREAT alternative..

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself - on why you should stick to ssl..

im not trying to convinve anything i have both im just trying to add facts to the converation instead of blindly jumping around singing unjust praises and rubbing my nipples to the video like so many others in here are doing
DJ Quartz 4:18 PM - 11 February, 2011
@ Mr Wilks,

You don't have to have a SL4 or TTM57 to do video. You can do video with SL1/SL3...
Mr Wilks 4:22 PM - 11 February, 2011
Neon v2 is an open source VJ app that seems fine. Maybe it can be adapted to read live timecode like Mix Emergency was?

Worth a shot for the Traktor heads that may want video.
Evon 4:27 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:

I was thinking the same. Just bought a macbook and now the bridge works great for me. with synch and everyting. Lots of possibilities with the bridge. The major drawback with the bridge is that you can't load song into the bridge from Serato library. This was/is a is a huge dissapointment for me.
peds 4:28 PM - 11 February, 2011
still can't help that sync'in feeling .

the first vid watch at 2 minutes in

Watchwww.youtube.com

it still cheats, and puts me right off
Mr Wilks 4:30 PM - 11 February, 2011
@ DJ Quartz

It's really an excuse to get an upgrade really as i want to do a performance piece with two DJ's and The Bridge + video.

I think there could be something really creative come from it and couple that with the cheeky lil' APC 40 and i'm laughing.
Mr Wilks 4:33 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
The major drawback with the bridge is that you can't load song into the bridge from Serato library. This was/is a is a huge dissapointment for me.

I think this will come with a later version as i'd like that too.
Caliber 4:42 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I play EDM

From my own experience Raysh, Scratch Live is better for hip-hop and Traktor for EDM.

It's only my personal preference and some may (and will) disagree. I use Scratch Live for EDM too so i'm happy with both in any situation.

Hope that helps.

This has been far discussed over the years and I must say that none of the software is better for either genre. It's like saying that turntables is for hip hop djs and cd players for EDM djs. The preference depends on the individual. EDM djs prefer traktor because of the 4 decks, effects and sync features, whereas hiphop djs don't care to much about the effects and sync feature cuz most just scratch and play 2 decks. Both programs play every genre there is. People only complain because they get all confused about beating gridding in traktor and put it down.

Traktor is an amazing program, its only downfall is the workflow sucks. So fellow djs please stop saying traktor is better for EDM and ssl is better for hip hop
Evon 4:44 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Don't wanna start a autosync debate. But traktor having it is only another incentive to buy Traktor. Hopefully Serato will add it soon.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:51 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

you know what I noticed about this video....

RAFIK REDLINING THE FUCK OUT OF HIS MIXER LOL
snob dee-jays 5:10 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
I would like to see what CPU load is with the sample decks and efx going....

The Bridge is murdering my MBP 2.4 CPU....

good point, you can ad a lot of bells and whistles but it wil cost you CPU usage.
nothing worst than stuttering software in a hot club.
DJ_Gr0wTesK 5:40 PM - 11 February, 2011
The bridge is also TWO seperate full fledged audio applications
Polanka 6:07 PM - 11 February, 2011
Didn't the guy who made the bridge work for Native Instruments before?
Polanka 6:08 PM - 11 February, 2011
Sorry the guy who made Ableton.
Mr Wilks 6:08 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I play EDM

Hope that helps.

This has been far discussed over the years and I must say that none of the software is better for either genre. It's like saying that turntables is for hip hop djs and cd players for EDM djs. The preference depends on the individual. EDM djs prefer traktor because of the 4 decks, effects and sync features, whereas hiphop djs don't care to much about the effects and sync feature cuz most just scratch and play 2 decks. Both programs play every genre there is. People only complain because they get all confused about beating gridding in traktor and put it down.

Traktor is an amazing program, its only downfall is the workflow sucks. So fellow djs please stop saying traktor is better for EDM and ssl is better for hip hop

I agree as you basically summarised what i initially wrote. I stated that it was down to (my) personal preference as i own both programs and i gave my own experience from which Raysh asked based on my personal opinion. I use SSL for EDM as that's what floats my boat. My flatmate is a TSP person through and through. We both spin EDM and chart music in UK clubs up and down the country and both swear by our tools of choice. He hates SSL as there isn't enough automation where as i love it as i have to do the work. It's all about choice. He's more creative than me with loops where as i have to be more cautious due to no sync in the sample deck. As i also own TSP too so i could use it as well but I don't.

None of the software is better for either genre? I'd whole heartedly say that Traktor is more tailored towards the EDM end of the scale. It's designed from the start for all genres but excels above the other DVS systems in EDM due to the extra bells and whistles.
TSP does hip-hop and every other genre and it does it very well indeed and is as good as SSL but there are more 'toys' in TSP for EDM users to tweak.
It's a fact that SSL doesn't have sync and TSP does. From the off that makes TSP better suited to EDM and sequencing in an environment where scratching isn't always carried out.

It's a known fact that SSL has a few less toys for EDM users to play with 'out of the box' unless you count The Bridge which will be about £259 on additional software if your not lucky enough to own Ableton Live 8. This means that 'out of the box' it lacks some EDM tools that Traktor has. Any software with the word "Scratch" in it is appealing to Hip-Hop DJ's and that's the truth. EDM DJ's don't scratch so it's not aimed at them. Traktor Scratch Pro is actually a plug-in on top of the regular flavoured Traktor Pro. If you don't have supported hardware, it won't work.
In my initial post i did state Traktor and not Traktor Scratch Pro (as there is is no external timecode support in Pro, just Scratch Pro).

Traktor Pro also covers the S4 which has EDM in it's DNA from the very start. I wouldn't think it's small jog wheels would turn on a turntablist!
Polanka 6:11 PM - 11 February, 2011
Native Instruments should partner with Inklen to release a Video plug in for TSP2. That would be killer!
Mr Wilks 6:15 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Native Instruments should partner with Inklen to release a Video plug in for TSP2. That would be killer!

I kinda agree with that. If they don't do it themselves then get Serato's rival in on the act!

I think Native Instruments like to do everything in-house though as all the money goes to them!
DJ Remy USA 6:27 PM - 11 February, 2011
this thread is going no where. either use traktor or use SL or use Torq or use vinyl or use CDs. This is waste of time poeple
blackavenger 6:33 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
this thread is going no where. either use traktor or use SL or use Torq or use vinyl or use CDs. This is waste of time poeple

It's not a waste of time to discuss TSP2's new features though. I do, however, agree with dropping the whole fanboyism = my DVS is better than your DVS bullshit.
Mr Wilks 6:36 PM - 11 February, 2011
This thread is to talk about Traktor Scratch Pro, it's new features, where they can be used, what people was expecting and the pro's & con's of it.

I think the thread is generating good discussion from people who either own it or are curious as to how this will measure up to Scratch Live.
Mr Wilks 6:38 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

It's not a waste of time to discuss TSP2's new features though. I do, however, agree with dropping the whole fanboyism = my DVS is better than your DVS bullshit.

I agree with the fanboyism bit.

I have SSL, TSP & Torq and find positives and negatives in them all. I preference SSL but will use the others if needs be.
DJ Remy USA 6:44 PM - 11 February, 2011
I know its a free forum and all but if you come here talking about other products that directly compete with SSL of course its gonna bring the fan boys out no matter what. Maybe this should be moved to "off topic discussion"
blackavenger 9:49 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
I know its a free forum and all but if you come here talking about other products that directly compete with SSL of course its gonna bring the fan boys out no matter what. Maybe this should be moved to "off topic discussion"

perhaps it should.
DJ_Gr0wTesK 9:54 PM - 11 February, 2011
other DVS software falls under "Djing discussion" I'm pretty sure
RogerRabbit 10:01 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

perhaps it should.

I think close-minded fanboys visit that section of the forum also :) Besides it's about a dj product - so its good right here..
blackavenger 10:14 PM - 11 February, 2011
You are right....LOL...Closed Minded Fanboys do lurk in every corner!
RAYSH 7:23 AM - 12 February, 2011
very quick question: what system is better for hip hop mixing with CDJs?
nik39 11:14 AM - 12 February, 2011
DJ_Gr0wTesK :
Quote:
you pretty much have to pay to use the new features of scratch live as well. Want a 3rd deck? need an SL3. Want the bridge? need an sl3 & ableton live. Want a 4th deck? need an SL4 or 68.

Sorry, that's utter crap.

Of course if you have a two channel soundcard, there is not way that a free software upgrade could magically add new outputs. Now let's check what happened with the SL3:
They released the SL3 - no 3rd deck.

In a later released updated a 3rd deck option has been added *for free*

Quote:
and the upgrade prices on Rane's hardware is far more expensive than NI's

You're comparing apple and oranges. Hardware vs Software upgrades.

Quote:
Want the bridge?

Yes.

Quote:
need an sl3

Bullsh*t.

Quote:
& ableton live.

ORLY? Guess what.. The Bridge bridges the gap from Scratch Live to Ableton Live. Of course you need both - that's Scratch Live *and* Ableton Live. But if you owned both before - The Bridge itself is completely free of charge.

Quote:
Upgrade fees are always optional as TSP 1 will be still functional.

Yes and no. Bug fixes will only happen on the latest products. So people with existing Traktor 3.x can't effectively use it because - there are still bugs, which NI wouldn't fix in the Traktor 3.x branch (makes sense). So you are kind of forced to upgrade at some point.

Quote:
The bridge is also TWO seperate full fledged audio applications

... and?

Sometimes...
serkan 11:47 AM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:

Quote:

That does rather depend on the region. In Europe it's an entirely different matter.

It's funny how people keep thinking that. Sure, Traktor is widespread - but without timecode control.
I'm in North Germany and when it comes down to DVS use I have seen only one DJ (in my whole life) who uses TSP but at least(!) 50 with ScratchLive.

So from my experience SL rules over TSP in a veeeeeery comfortable way.
Go to Youtube and watch videos of normal DJ gigs (no showcases). The only ones using TSP are the ones directly promoted by NI. But whether it's a big festival or just a small party in the most fu**ed up club, it's always SL!
echa1945mf 11:53 AM - 12 February, 2011
as a former traktor user , i wont change back to traktor, in love with serato for the stability ... dont need fx , i got a kaos pad LOL
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:01 PM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
traktor looks pretty sick not gunna lie. i love how you can change the colors of everything to your own personal likeing. not enough for me to switch tho. i love my 57 and SSL.

You know, this is the reason I haven't gone past 1.9.2.

I am not feeling the "Updated" GUI.
serkan 2:14 PM - 12 February, 2011
One of the few things that pushed me to SL in the first place - and that I still have the biggest respect for - is Serato's upgrade policy.

You can still use TSP 1 bla...? Come on!
If you bought the SL1 the very first day it came out you can STILL (after SEVEN! years) use the newest version of ScratchLive... the SP6, (underrated) FX, The Bridge, MIDI, etc. by downloading the newest version for FREE!

Just as nick39 said:
You can't upgrade to more channels with a software update.
You can't use The Bridge if you don't own two seperate proprietary software.

But the SL users never had to pay for any update if they didn't need/want to.
RAYSH 3:04 PM - 12 February, 2011
^Which is why SSL is more expensive than TSP... youre paying for the investment
Mr Wilks 3:12 PM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:

Upgrade fees are always optional as TSP 1 will be still functional.

Yes and no. Bug fixes will only happen on the latest products. So people with existing Traktor 3.x can't effectively use it because - there are still bugs, which NI wouldn't fix in the Traktor 3.x branch (makes sense). So you are kind of forced to upgrade at some point.

Did Native give the Traktor 3 upgrade for free to get them onto Traktor Pro and the latest version? That was my understanding around it but i believe a few didn't take the free upgrade as they lost the Native Mix function in TSP.

Quote:

You can still use TSP 1 bla...? Come on!

TSP (Traktor Scratch Pro) is the most current version and and works as intended alongside Serato's Scratch Live on my laptop. I have no need to upgrade but i may do just to see the waveforms and get a beat synced sampler.
nik39 4:27 PM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
Did Native give the Traktor 3 upgrade for free to get them onto Traktor Pro and the latest version?

Not sure what you mean. NI has some kind of grace update policy. Something like: If you bought Traktor 3 in the last 3 months, then this new Traktor Pro Upgrade is for free for you."

I like the marketing videos from NI - excellent. But some statements are really pure marketing talk - at best.

Esp. the "we won't charge for updates"-policy announcement. What happened with that?

Now don't come to me with the "it is a new product"-excuse. You already used it when you changed from Traktor Scratch to Traktor Scratch "Pro".

BTW: If Traktor Scratch "Pro" is the "Pro" edition, can I safely assume the previous version called Traktor Scratch was the Traktor Scratch Amateur version?

Marketing bullsh*t.
DJ_Gr0wTesK 5:20 PM - 12 February, 2011
He commented that the bridge was murdering his cpu, so I made the statement that the bridge is TWO programs.

that doesnt make sense @nik39? wouldnt running two programs be a little more intense than one self contained program?

and maybe I was mistaken about using the bridge with the SL1. But since it only has two stereo outs, where does ableton's out come from?
serkan 6:45 PM - 12 February, 2011
I didn't do a lot with The Bridge yet (because I don't know jack about using Ableton Live) but at least you can load your Ableton project into one of the decks.
Mr Wilks 7:06 PM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Did Native give the Traktor 3 upgrade for free to get them onto Traktor Pro and the latest version?

Not sure what you mean. NI has some kind of grace update policy. Something like: If you bought Traktor 3 in the last 3 months, then this new Traktor Pro Upgrade is for free for you."

I like the marketing videos from NI - excellent. But some statements are really pure marketing talk - at best.

Esp. the "we won't charge for updates"-policy announcement. What happened with that?

Now don't come to me with the "it is a new product"-excuse. You already used it when you changed from Traktor Scratch to Traktor Scratch "Pro".

BTW: If Traktor Scratch "Pro" is the "Pro" edition, can I safely assume the previous version called Traktor Scratch was the Traktor Scratch Amateur version?

Marketing bullsh*t.

Totally agree with that.

My flatmate that uses Traktor also said they said they wouldn't charge for updates but when we tried to find reference to it, we couldn't. We knew we'd heard it before but any reference to it is hard to track down.

I think they would only wriggle out of the statement anyway by saying...

Update = Bug fixes
Upgrade = New features

That's how i've interpreted it anyway.
nik39 8:29 PM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
that doesnt make sense @nik39? wouldnt running two programs be a little more intense than one self contained program?

Did I disagree? Please think about your arguments before you post them.

Quote:
and maybe I was mistaken about using the bridge with the SL1. But since it only has two stereo outs, where does ableton's out come from?

That's up to you. You decide whether you want it coming out of the left or right deck.

That was easy, right?

And dont try to be smart by asking "huh? i want more decks and The Bridge!". You want *more* hardware - you have to *pay* for it. Simple as that.

Quote:
they said they wouldn't charge for updates but when we tried to find reference to it, we couldn't. We knew we'd heard it before but any reference to it is hard to track down.

Same here. I can't find any official response now. Fact is - again users have to shell out for a new version. An SL1 user from 2004 didnt have to pay a single cent for all the new SL features.
RogerRabbit 8:38 PM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
Same here. I can't find any official response now. Fact is - again users have to shell out for a new version. An SL1 user from 2004 didnt have to pay a single cent for all the new SL features.

So from a business perspective, which company is smarter? :)
Dj Ace 8:55 PM - 12 February, 2011
The point is from the user perspective...
and re-useability
serato is the truth and I think MOST don't e
Dj Ace 8:56 PM - 12 February, 2011
even know how to use the features it has already LOL
Dj Ace 8:56 PM - 12 February, 2011
let's see how tight traktor is when i
Dj Ace 8:57 PM - 12 February, 2011
it finally comes out...sorry for the multiple post I keep hitting enter on accident
Dj Ace 9:00 PM - 12 February, 2011
DjWoody 9:11 PM - 12 February, 2011

That video has been discussed before. In that video, NI is trying to sell the X1 to Serato users, not Traktor.
Dj Ace 10:02 PM - 12 February, 2011
it shows what can be done with serato effects and cue points...
Dj Ace 10:02 PM - 12 February, 2011
has nothing to do with the x1 since its just a controller
nik39 10:26 PM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

So from a business perspective, which company is smarter? :)

Money wise?

You know, in the short term ripping off customers is not good for your image. Long term satisfaction means something different.

The current problem with Scratch Live however is that it has been know for stability - Serato is on the best way to damage this reputation. The last versions have been doo doo for not only a very few.
DJ Quartz 11:01 PM - 12 February, 2011
To be completely honest I like how the SSL GUI doesn't drastically change. You don't have to relearn the application everytime there is a major feature upgrade.

It's standardized and consistent. I like that. Could it use some updating, yes. But don't over do it.
DjWoody 1:09 AM - 13 February, 2011
Quote:

It has everything to do with the X1. If you can't see that, you have issues.
Henry GQ 1:45 AM - 13 February, 2011
i think traktor had to do something to grab peoples attention. and this might do it
Dj Ace 2:03 AM - 13 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

It has everything to do with the X1. If you can't see that, you have issues.

you have issues....

I am stating why I put the vid up t show off serato effects!
Mr Wilks 2:49 PM - 13 February, 2011
Quote:

they said they wouldn't charge for updates but when we tried to find reference to it, we couldn't. We knew we'd heard it before but any reference to it is hard to track down.

I'm still rocking the SL1 (until the SL4 comes out) but i'm curious as to how the new TSP version 2.0 will imitate SSL as it now has the two features i loved in SSL (sampler & coloured waveforms). I'll but it to try.

I think the reason N.I. have got away with the update pricing for so long is that they can charge for upgrades and it has no impact on sales of it's product at all. More so that i see people switch to it. Maybe people whinge a bit but still buy it as they are die hard fans and just see it as a small fee they can shell out for to gain a few extra features.

I noticed the upgrade fee has no real negativity attached to it and it actually improves sales of Traktor with every new version as the SSL/TSP gap closes. I can't ever see them cutting off that cash cow. It wouldn't make sense and would be a bad business decision if they did drop paid for updates as it wouldn't switch SSL users just for that carrot. They are onto a good thing as they have a loyal fan base that will be prepared to upgrade no matter what.

So my question to the good people of Serato-land... if Serato decided to change their policy and charge for a new version of Scratch Live (note: not that they ever will!) with a few more requested features in it like sync or something like that, would you stick with the software you know and love or will you stick a toe in the water and try another company that also charges for updates? (as it's pretty much the norm with DJ software).
Mr Wilks 3:57 PM - 13 February, 2011
I cocked up the last quote as it's nik39's first paragraph. I should also should have said "i'll buy it to try it" too.

I'm a silly sausage.
nik39 5:25 PM - 13 February, 2011
Personally I dont mind paying for plug in type of functions.

Make autosync a paid plugin

Make an ass kicking pitch and time paid plug in.

Etc.

Those who need it can decide than whether its worth the money. Those who dont want it, can still benefit from free updates (and bug fixes).

At the end... most of us here are at a point where they dont care about a hundred bucks more or less. But its the business ethics which bother me. I am 99.9% sure that an NI moderator said that they changed their update-charge policy.

And well I know a lot of users here who were burned before by the product which was there before Traktor Scratch by NI and Stanton.
serkan 6:09 PM - 13 February, 2011
Quote:

Personally I dont mind paying for plug in type of functions.

101% agree!

Keep SL the simple and stable application it is and let the people mix-and-match the features they want/need.
Mr Wilks 7:27 PM - 13 February, 2011
I'd love a Pitch 'n' Time plug-in for SSL and i always imagined the sync (if ever included) as a separate plug-in.

Hopefully this will be Serato's next move.
Mr Wilks 7:28 PM - 13 February, 2011
...and i think it was a moderator that once stated the new update policy.
blackavenger 9:32 PM - 13 February, 2011
Quote:
Those who need it can decide than whether its worth the money. Those who dont want it, can still benefit from free updates (and bug fixes).

I concur.
al83 12:41 AM - 14 February, 2011
can't believe they didn't improve the library management, if they ever did i would seriously consider switching - but then again these forums and awesome tech support direct from developers is something that i could never give up, and something NI just cant rival.
Mr Wilks 4:47 AM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
can't believe they didn't improve the library management, if they ever did i would seriously consider switching - but then again these forums and awesome tech support direct from developers is something that i could never give up, and something NI just cant rival.

+1 on all that.

I can't think of another company that are as involved with their customers as Serato.

You can't put a price on that.
RogerRabbit 5:05 AM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

+1 on all that.

I can't think of another company that are as involved with their customers as Serato.

BS- people just love free shit..
blackavenger 1:55 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:

This is the NUMBER ONE REASON I've stuck with Serato thus far! I bought TSP, and found their Customer Service to be virtually non-existent.

Quote:

When it comes to my gear, I don't mind paying for feature upgrades......I was the one proposing ( www.serato.com ) that Serato begin offering purchasable plugins for FLAC, Keylock, and Tempo-Sync'd SP-6. So to say that I only stick w' Serato 'cause I want free shit is ridiculous. I'm sure many would agree with me, perhaps not the majority, but many non-the-less.
RogerRabbit 3:09 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
When it comes to my gear, I don't mind paying for feature upgrades......I was the one proposing ( www.serato.com ) that Serato begin offering purchasable plugins for FLAC, Keylock, and Tempo-Sync'd SP-6. So to say that I only stick w' Serato 'cause I want free shit is ridiculous. I'm sure many would agree with me, perhaps not the majority, but many non-the-less.

Ha you're hopeful of free shit.. And none agree with you, your the only one pushing for flac :)
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:54 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

+1 on all that.

Thats why i stick with rane and serato....FREE STICKERS!!
grrillatactics 4:33 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:

On a side note, I have received free stickers with every NI product that I have purchased with the sole exception of the X1 (Maschine, Komplete and every complete upgrade, TSP all come with a sheet of stickers).

But I stil love that Rane sent everyone who voted in the 57SL tshirt design poll. Very nice move, although after a few years, my shirt is getting worn out... Need a repalcement!

Quote:

This video really has a ton to do with the X1, as Faust and Shortee are using the standard mapping for Serato that comes with the X1 and also demonstrates that the controller can be used with both Traktor (in its various forms) as well as SSL to add more control to the features included in the program. Saying that the video has nothing to do with the X1 because it's "just a controller" is missing the point of the video; it would be the same as saying that this video (Watchwww.youtube.com) has nothing to do with the APC40 becuase it is just a controller when the point of the video (just like the Faust & Shortee X1 video) is to show that the controller provides an ergonomic controller that, right out of the box, provides direct hands-on control of the best and/or most popular features of whatever DVS system that you choose. But this is just my opinion and you are obviously free to disagree.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:45 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:

On a side note, I have received free stickers with every NI product that I have purchased with the sole exception of the X1 (Maschine, Komplete and every complete upgrade, TSP all come with a sheet of stickers).

If they came with a product they are not very "free"...rane sent me stickers with NO PURCHASE
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:55 PM - 14 February, 2011
ya massive big up to rane and serato.... im just saying that the ni video is really good and for the first time made me want to have it. But i know serato/rane and love these forums and how helpfull these guys are.
Quote:
Quote:

If they came with a product they are not very "free"...rane sent me stickers with NO PURCHASE

They sent me free vinyl, free t-shirts, free stickers and free software updates. and a nice 3year warrenty on the hardware. that's why i love my serato rane.

serato/rane need to step up there promo/marketing videos BIG TIME THOW!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:01 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
ya massive big up to rane and serato.... im just saying that the ni video is really good and for the first time made me want to have it. But i know serato/rane and love these forums and how helpfull these guys are.
Quote:

Quote:

They sent me free vinyl, free t-shirts, free stickers and free software updates. and a nice 3year warrenty on the hardware. that's why i love my serato rane.

serato/rane need to step up there promo/marketing videos BIG TIME THOW!!!!

i do agree that MOST of the NI videos make me want to purchase those products
Mr Wilks 7:44 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

+1 on all that.

I'm not inclined to agree there. There is a sign a few miles from me by the road that says "FREE MANURE".

I don't love/want that.
blackavenger 8:24 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
I'm not inclined to agree there. There is a sign a few miles from me by the road that says "FREE MANURE".

I don't love/want that.

Ha!
Dj Ace 5:14 AM - 15 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

But I stil love that Rane sent everyone who voted in the 57SL tshirt design poll. Very nice move, although after a few years, my shirt is getting worn out... Need a repalcement!

Quote:

This video really has a ton to do with the X1, as Faust and Shortee are using the standard mapping for Serato that comes with the X1 and also demonstrates that the controller can be used with both Traktor (in its various forms) as well as SSL to add more control to the features included in the program. Saying that the video has nothing to do with the X1 because it's "just a controller" is missing the point of the video; it would be the same as saying that this video (Watchwww.youtube.com ) has nothing to do with the APC40 becuase it is just a controller when the point of the video (just like the Faust & Shortee X1 video) is to show that the controller provides an ergonomic controller that, right out of the box, provides direct hands-on control of the best and/or most popular features of whatever DVS system that you choose. But this is just my opinion and you are obviously free to disagree.

again I posted the vid to show off serato effects...geez
Dj Ace 5:15 AM - 15 February, 2011
the REASON I posted it not the point of the video and a midi controller is nothing without software but the better designed the better you will perform of course
Polanka 4:43 PM - 15 February, 2011
Nice Vid DJ Ace!
djcrap 7:30 AM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Rane sent me stickers and 3 fader knobs for the ttm57 for free...:)
Jensen Määäm 9:20 AM - 16 February, 2011
This conversation in here sounds like:
My DVS good, my DVS bad...
my DVS can do things I can't even put in words
my DVS is better than yours...

And talking about free stickers is just ridiculous!
mkdva 10:31 AM - 16 February, 2011
Jensen, is the NI headquarter in your neighbourhood?
Jensen Määäm 10:34 AM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:
Jensen, is the NI headquarter in your neighbourhood?

They are in Berlin and somewhere in the US.
I'm in Berlin, yes. But the only thing I have to do with them...I bought an Traktor X1.
RAYSH 12:09 PM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:
This conversation in here sounds like:
My DVS good, my DVS bad...
my DVS can do things I can't even put in words
my DVS is better than yours...

And talking about free stickers is just ridiculous!

AGREED. needs to stay on topic
Evon 12:22 PM - 16 February, 2011
It was easier before when you just have the Pioneer CDJs and technics. Every DJ used the same equip and every dj was given equal opportunity to show their skill on the industry standard, the limitation didn't come from the equipment used because everybody was using the same setup, rather the skill to use the equipment available to them

Nowadays you have more opportunities and different approaches to djing. Djs customise their setup with different controllers, DVS, Softwares like ableton and sometimes live instruments. Now Djs see their limitations in their setup compared to other setups. Its a equipment race out there, and everyone is afraid to fall behind.

You should have seen the NI forum when the bridge was announced, It was crazy. Many people threatening to jump ship. Now the tables turned a little. And its going to keep turning forever or one is going to loose.
I'm pretty sure the Serato team aren't sitting back and chilling while the competition adding feature after feature. In a Oligopoly market like the DVS/dj market. The competitors has to constantly keep up and respont to their competitors. I'm pretty sure all these features that are missing will eventually come.
The 2.2 update was a major bugfixes update for stability. Maybe the next one will be a more feature oriented update :)
Stability is priority number one. Then new features. And that is how it should be.

And by the way. I think we pretty much got all the features that are mentioned with the bridge, You got the loop recorder in ableton too, I just don't know how to use it properly yet.
I'm gonna settle with the bridge for a while and experiment with ableton. I think this is the ultimate setup if you wanna get creative, just a steep learning curve for ableton, thats all.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:53 PM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:

Another intriguing comment - "People if they are using Traktor or Ableton, they can just plug straight in". Clearly it has USB and MIDI, but this does rather indicate that it's Traktor ready, if not certified. I noted some comments on the Youtube clip about the Pizza guy reference being a shout to the NI forums. So it may well be that you can leave your shiny new Traktor Audio 10 interface at home. Christ knows we need some certified mixers out there.

So thinking about this a little more, Pioneer and Native Instruments are currently snuggling up together very nicely, and both have quite a tight grip independently on at least the European club market

interesting tidbit of info from skratchworks on the new pioneer mixer
Rob Pointer 4:53 PM - 16 February, 2011
Pioneer is obviously seeing the benefit in working with Serato as well given their new HW controller offerings.

The problem is mostly likely the Rane exclusivity with Serato, right?

Problem is a strong word though - maybe there is flexibility to have Itch work with the new mixer as well. If Pioneer did that, they'd have the market sewn up with a dual capability plug and play mixer that serviced both platforms - but I would guess it would need two USB inputs like the SL4 to make it seamless between two people switching despite their platform of choice.
serkan 5:30 PM - 16 February, 2011
There is Rane exclusivity with ScratchLive, not Serato.

Rumours say (didn't check if there was an official announcement yet) that the new DJM-900 Nexus will be TS certified.
There are some very hard times ahead for Serato if this was right :(
nik39 5:37 PM - 16 February, 2011
Indeed.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:32 PM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:

Rumours say (didn't check if there was an official announcement yet) that the new DJM-900 Nexus will be TS certified.

Im in no way a bandwagon jumper, im not one of these guys who sees a new feature on a new DVS and screams the end is near for serato or that im jumping ship, but i do tip my hat to the guys at NI, theyve been playing a hell of a hand recently.
Rob Pointer 6:39 PM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:

well, I'm not gonna hold my breath on this, then Pioneer could at least/possibly have the Nexus be both Itch and Traktor certified.

They have every incentive to do that beyond having NI try to pressure them to be exclusive to Traktor.

Maybe with Itch 2.0 and a firmware upgrade for the Nexus if it isn't already compatible.

who knows, but it would make complete financial sense for Pioneer to do this. They would kill just about every manufacturer - including the A&H Xone series simply because of the ease of use.

but it probably isn't gonna happen.
al83 7:08 PM - 16 February, 2011
I really can't see the Nexus being exclusive to Traktor, what if for example A&H bring out a mixer that is both Traktor & Serato, surely then that would sink the Nexus? Pioneer would want to make it as future proof as possible and would have no interest in not supporting as many formats as possible.
Rob Pointer 7:45 PM - 16 February, 2011
That makes sense.... but sometimes that factor does not the rule the day when you are dealing with (possibly) complex business relationships and contractual obligations.
ekwipt 11:50 PM - 17 February, 2011
IMO thats the main problem with Serato Scratch Live, it was useful to have an exclusivity with Rane in the past, but I'd say in 95% of the clubs in Australia have either a DJM800 or A&H Xone92. I know it takes a long time for clubs to upgrade equipment (Nexus & DB:4), but most likely T2 will be around for at least 2 years before a another paid upgrade, during that time it's going to be a lot easier to bring a laptop, plug a few USB cables and start your set.

The Nexus may not be exclusive to Traktor, I'm guessing Rekordbox will work fine since it's a Pioneer/Mixvibes product and im pretty sure Torq will support the new mixers, but I very much doubt Serato is going to be fully supported, that is to say you'll be able to leave a SL4 etc at home.
Polanka 12:50 AM - 18 February, 2011
The Nexus is going to be expensive!
blackavenger 3:18 AM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
The Nexus is going to be expensive!

Yeah, it's $2,400 US.......a little too rich for my blood!
nik39 3:30 AM - 18 February, 2011
That's less than a 68, right?
blackavenger 4:20 AM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
That's less than a 68, right?

Yeah, about $200 less. I won't be getting a 68 anytime soon either ;)
DJ Remy USA 4:43 AM - 18 February, 2011
Im good the only way I will even touch that thing is if its already installed somewhere. I never really liked the faders on pioneers. To thin for me.
DJ P Dot 6:35 AM - 18 February, 2011
street price of the djm-900 will be $1,900-1,999 and not $2,400 which makes it quite a bit cheaper than the sixty-eight. but then again it doesnt have the dual usb interface.
Dj Ace 6:39 AM - 18 February, 2011
I paid 2100 for my 68
blackavenger 9:25 AM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
street price of the djm-900 will be $1,900-1,999 and not $2,400 which makes it quite a bit cheaper than the sixty-eight. but then again it doesnt have the dual usb interface.

That's good to know.....it definitely makes it more attractive.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:41 AM - 18 February, 2011
in the UK DJM-900-NEXUS is £ 1,599.00

and the rane sixty eight is £2,199.00

So ya a load different. and in the UK clubs would go for the pioneer.
nik39 10:02 AM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
in the UK DJM-900-NEXUS is £ 1,599.00

and the rane sixty eight is £2,199.00

Ugh...
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:03 AM - 18 February, 2011
yep thats how much the stores sell them for? does this seem wrong then?
grrillatactics 5:11 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
The Nexus may not be exclusive to Traktor, I'm guessing Rekordbox will work fine since it's a Pioneer/Mixvibes product and im pretty sure Torq will support the new mixers, but I very much doubt Serato is going to be fully supported, that is to say you'll be able to leave a SL4 etc at home.

The one thing to keep in mind, though, is that a lot of venues have been convinced to buy a Rane/SSL interface and already have those plugged into their current Pioneers or A&H mixers (although obviously you may find different in your area), so connecting an SL-4 (or -1 or -3) won't be an issue as most venues will already have one connected, and now, once it is connected correctly once, there will be no need to disconnect it as there will be no need to plug in one of the NI interfaces as they can just plug direct into the mixer. Also factor in that you can run one USB to your Rane interface, and another to the 900 mixer as your Ableton Live audio out for increased flexibility of your audio routing when using the Bridge. Sounds like a win to me.

IMO this is a good development overall. While there are some drawbacks to the Rane/SSL exclusivity deal, it has been a great benefit to both companies overall over the years and I doubt we'll see that change any time soon.
Dj BuddyLove 4:57 PM - 22 February, 2011
im not making the switch just yet but i will purchase TSP 2
ive finally want the best of both worlds..
Dj BuddyLove 4:58 PM - 22 February, 2011
^I (not) ive
DINOBLUNT 5:10 PM - 2 April, 2011
I'm about to make the switch just in spite! I've been playing out flawlessly with my SL1 box for years but now that I just got a new laptop (Intel i7 processor and 6GB DDR3 RAM) I come to find that the SL1 is completely incompatable with the i line of processors and my understanding is Serato has known about this issue for a while now and still have yet to develop a fix.
thebuttonfreak 5:45 PM - 2 April, 2011
That isn't trying to be a smart question it is a smart question. If it come out of one of the other channels for the bridge with an internal volume to bring it in and out, then it stands to reason that this could be the case for a 3rd deck. SO his point is true. You have to pay for new features. Which btw - there is nothing wrong with. I want the guys at Serato to be profitable. ANd while you can nitpick the details of what defines a "new" feature in practice if you are an SL1 user and you want the 3rd or 4th deck or the bridge then it ends up costing you money.

Quote:

And dont try to be smart by asking "huh? i want more decks and The Bridge!". You want *more* hardware - you have to *pay* for it. Simple as that.
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:54 PM - 2 April, 2011
downloaded the traktor scratch pro 2 demo....... Back to Serato Scratchlive :-)
Mr Wilks 1:44 PM - 3 April, 2011
I'll try it later today.

My flatmate swears by it and downloaded it the hour it came out. I'll do it today and have a play. I do have Scratch Pro (Audio 8) as well as Scratch Live as i like to waste money on toys...

If i like it it's only about £50 (ish) upgrade so good for a mess about it's inexpensive and after watching my flatmate with the sample deck it's tight.
He's the creative type the juices everything from the software and he loves it.

I won't switch but i know all i can from Scratch and will now see how creative i can get recording live loops on the fly and not have to trim in Ableton first.

Wilksie
DR KING 11:39 PM - 8 April, 2011
hello i used both traktor scratch and serato scratch live and i will be fair.. to me serato has the edge in terms of the whole feeling using the software.. color wave forms, crates easy and lovely library search.. that kinda thing. BUT traktor scratch to me is tighter a bit tighter with the latency and the sound quality of scratching traktor has the upperhand. I have slowed down my platter using my hand like reallly slow and i heard the word of the artiste very slowly... with serato this doesnt happen down to a certain speed. thats from my research .. with sl1 and audio 4, i have a sl3 now.

Serato has the best customer service and with serato u get upgrades free of cost, while traktor you have to pay to step up, which i think is non sense and greedy and that is another reason y i am not into traktor again.

Serato gives you everything u need to scratch and overall i rate it over the traktor for scratching purposes... although traktor has a bit tighter setup.. i dont think that extra can override me from serato... i had traktor first.. then i went to serato and now i do not want to look back. cheers
redworm_666 6:17 AM - 1 June, 2011
i'm a new SSL user, i bought TTM 57SL a week ago just to upgrade my mixer from DJM 400. i was gonna get the DJM 909 but got the TTM57 instead because of the magnetic faders plus the honor to try out SSL. i have been a TSP user from the start. so i had compare both DVS. one thing i notice is the most basic vinyl feel SSL is a bit heavier than TSP to scratch with. i don't know if it's just me. maybe you guys can try it out. even dj qbert i think felt it. but i like the TTM 57 onboard controls nothing can beat that plus having the best faders in the market. sound quality on the 57 is superb. is use TSP2 as my DVS and use my 57 just for the mixer part. TSP2 makes beat matching flawless and you can focus on remixing live. for that's more fun to do.
redworm_666 6:20 AM - 1 June, 2011
what i do like about SSL is it support NOvation Dicer and KONTROL X1 by native instruments. don't know about MASCHINE. while the TTM 57 does not support TSP2 for it's onboard controls. (i do own all these contollers)
redworm_666 6:25 AM - 1 June, 2011
i think Serato should open it's doors to users like us and not restrict us by using their product EXCLUSIVELY for serato. like NI did on their products e.g KONTROL X1, MASCHINE if not. i really would love to use TTM 57 onboard controls with TSP2 and SSL with NI MASCHINE.
redworm_666 6:32 AM - 1 June, 2011
specially the DJM T1 is about to come out.TTM 57SL will be put to the test against PIONEER and NI. this is gonna be a good one. i would guess that the T1 will have the advantage no doubt.no more group buttons as per TTM 57 6 group buttons the T1 is all laid out without hassle of switching. magnetic faders??? it has it. i wanna see it both head to head.