DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Spinning with glasses

SloDeck 1:30 PM - 1 June, 2007
OK, So I have been avoiding getting my eyes checked for a while now, and it has been getting worse. So I finally got my eyes tested and now have glasses to wear 80% of he time.

This is prolly the only downside I have found to SSL so far, that I could get away without glasses on vinyl because the print was bigger and I just knew what record it was because of the sleeve.

I need to wear them playing but I have to say I have never seen a DJ play with glasses on, (They prolly exist, I just have never noticed)I know Jazzy Jeff wears glasses but I've never seen him wearing them while playing.

I tried a session today but kept having to take them off and work round my headphones with them. Does anyone have any tips that might make the transition easier?
boabmatic 1:40 PM - 1 June, 2007
get contact lenses :) thats my solution
MusicMeister 4:08 PM - 1 June, 2007
There's a couple things you can do...

The sport glasses w/ a headband
The 'clip to your nose' type (if you can find them)
Go to a single cup headphone
Go to in-ear monitors

The problem is the ear piece gets bumped by the headphones...

After a while you'll get used to it or adjust your equipment to compensate for wearing them... but don't play around... your vision is important and if you need to wear glasses then do so.
dj skraps 4:15 PM - 1 June, 2007
I wear glasses...never had a problem with it...i think u just need to get used to it....just give it a while.
djn 4:18 PM - 1 June, 2007
I weak glasses. You just need to adjust a little to how you wear your headphones. And not be bothered by the fact that your glasses might get knocked/tilted from pressure by your headphones. I'm sure I look stupid sometimes with my glasses sitting at a 45 degree angle due to headphones in the middle of the mix, but whatever.
DJ-A 4:19 PM - 1 June, 2007
have you ever done a gig outside in the sun? i wear contacts, but can relate with sunglasses... if i'm outside and the sun is out, i have sunglasses on.

cant imagine glasses being any worse than sunglasses
djwhynot 4:28 PM - 1 June, 2007
you dj so bad that you need glasses
dj KarrsiN 4:48 PM - 1 June, 2007
Quote:

I need to wear them playing but I have to say I have never seen a DJ play with glasses on, (They prolly exist, I just have never noticed)I know Jazzy Jeff wears glasses but I've never seen him wearing them while playing.

LOL! This made me laugh, you make it seem as if people who wear glasses are like aliens or something. I don't think its serato's fault you have to wear glasses to read their screen. It's mother nature's fault. I've never had problems djn' while wearing glasses, like people say, u simply have to get accustom to wearing them.

Or you may consider purchasing one of those screen magnifiers:

www.discountofficesupplies.com
dj KarrsiN 4:53 PM - 1 June, 2007
DeezNotes 4:59 PM - 1 June, 2007
Quote:
you dj so bad that you need glasses

I have adjusted to Jazzy Jeff's method of headphones around the neck and lifting the cup to my ear when needed or blasting them if needed. Problem is, you can't wear ALL headphones like this. Another problem is, when there is no monitor (or not enough of a monitor to hear properly), I have to put the headphones on one ear or sometimes halfway on one ear. I noticed J Rocc always has the headphones on and never touches them.

You get used to it after a while. Give it time. The Jeff method worked the best when first adjusting.
DeezNotes 5:00 PM - 1 June, 2007
Oh, and I quoted that cause it was funny.
DJ Autograph 5:26 PM - 1 June, 2007
I had to get contacts because the room would get so hot when I used to dj back in college I wouldn't be able to see shit. Contacts are the way to go bro...
dj_soo 5:36 PM - 1 June, 2007
i dj with glasses all the time with no problems.
SloDeck 5:54 PM - 1 June, 2007
Thanks Guys I though it would just be an adjust thing, Just after my first jam with them on I kinda freaked. I'm not sure contacts are an option for me as I have heard a couple of people mention the haze/fog machine giving their eyes hell, something about the fluid drying their contacts out.
poloi3eai2 5:55 PM - 1 June, 2007
Get some Rec Specs! Some Horace Grant joints!!
dj skraps 6:01 PM - 1 June, 2007
Quote:
Get some Rec Specs! Some Horace Grant joints!!

ya those are the shit!!
CMOS 6:03 PM - 1 June, 2007
I rock the gazelles while spinning. I had to buy new headphones though, ones that dont grip so tight to my ears, the old stantons i had were digging the earpiece of my glasses into my head.
Alixx J 6:27 PM - 1 June, 2007
i wear contacts, but sometimes in a smokey club, they can start to irritate
Pete Moss 4:36 AM - 2 June, 2007
I've been wearing glasses so long, they're almost a trademark. I tried contacts for a year or two and hated them.
FlexyD 4:49 AM - 2 June, 2007
I've worn glasses since I was a kid and I have no problems, I've never spun without my glasses on lol, you'll be fine.
nobspangle 4:40 PM - 2 June, 2007
you could always get a monocle.
djned 4:05 PM - 24 October, 2014
Hey guys i've been searching for a while a brand of sunglasses that will allow me to keep my sets during daytime (i'm working on a cruise ship, and most of my sets are outside in full sunlight). With normal sunglasses i can't see properly, especially on Serato Dj (grey on grey-just great :) :)). Any recommendations ? Thank you !
Jumbo Boogie 10:30 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
Hey guys i've been searching for a while a brand of sunglasses that will allow me to keep my sets during daytime (i'm working on a cruise ship, and most of my sets are outside in full sunlight). With normal sunglasses i can't see properly, especially on Serato Dj (grey on grey-just great :) :)). Any recommendations ? Thank you !

Tifosi sunglasses with Fototec lenses.
djned 4:39 PM - 27 October, 2014
Thank you Jumbo, i will give them a try.
Taipanic 5:24 PM - 27 October, 2014
Are you also inverting the colors on your screen? If not, that will make a huge difference.
djned 5:28 PM - 27 October, 2014
I am using Windows so this feature is not available, sorry :)
Taipanic 6:30 PM - 27 October, 2014
Take a look at this:
www.wikihow.com

(Haven't used this myself)
djned 6:47 PM - 27 October, 2014
Thanks !
DJ Inubito 5:28 PM - 30 October, 2014
I've been playing with glasses since I started. Does me fine. :P