DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

CROWD HYPE - Party Up and Be Faithful

RAYSH 12:31 PM - 11 January, 2011
In my experience, there's few songs that you can play after dropping these two bombs, they are tried and tested and work EVERY TIME, always get the best reaction an most hype.

How do you top this? What songs do you follow up after these? It's hard to maintain such hype - so i thought I'd share some of my secrets, and I HOPE YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE TOO

Lean Back Partybeak
Jump Around
Crazy in Love Partybreak (especially for girls)
Let me clear my throat
Ante Up (younger crowds tend to appreciate this less i find)
Hypnotize Biggie
Hollaboyz Partybreak (Show me Love in the club - 50 cent thing)

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE
DJ Alkemy 12:39 PM - 11 January, 2011
I think there comes a time when certain tracks need to be put to rest. Not timeless classics but stuff like Be Faithful, Let Me Clear My Throat and them god awful party breaks. If you want to maintain hype then why not make your own party break?. Get the accapella to Ante Up, get another hype beat it matches well with and scratch the "Uh Yo" parts of Ante Up (at the start) and then drop it in over the track, all the while scratching little parts. Its a bit more original than dropping party breaks that 50m + DJ's do worldwide.
RAYSH 12:56 PM - 11 January, 2011
^^ I did my own partybreak too - mixed "get low" with "move bitch" - works a treat every time.

BUT FOR THE OTHER DJ'S ---- What would you add to this category?
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:25 PM - 11 January, 2011
Quote:
I think there comes a time when certain tracks need to be put to rest. Not timeless classics but stuff like Be Faithful, Let Me Clear My Throat and them god awful party breaks. If you want to maintain hype then why not make your own party break?. Get the accapella to Ante Up, get another hype beat it matches well with and scratch the "Uh Yo" parts of Ante Up (at the start) and then drop it in over the track, all the while scratching little parts. Its a bit more original than dropping party breaks that 50m + DJ's do worldwide.

+1
RAYSH 2:01 PM - 11 January, 2011
In australia crowd's arn't very educated with hip hop, so all of these "overplayed partybreaks" would still be fresh, which is why im keen to know what other tracks are good for hype
BattleFunk 2:25 PM - 11 January, 2011
Why don't we just make you a big list of bangers to play so you don't have to do any work?
RAYSH 2:29 PM - 11 January, 2011
trust me, i'm always looking, scanning, recordpools, blogs everything... I DO put in hard work finding stuff, this thread is an extension of that work...after all, that's what these forums are about, - DJ's coming together, sharing ideas helping eachother etc
DJ Benny B NYC 3:08 PM - 11 January, 2011
play one party break and then back to normal songs. i never play like 5 party breaks in a row...
DJ Alkemy 4:17 PM - 11 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

+1

A +1 from Bezzle, I am truly honoured lol.

Hey Raysh, I thought Australia were pretty up on their Hip-Hop?. But yeah, if they aint then Im sure them party breaks would go down alright. I havn't been able to make myself play them tracks in 4+ years, they go right through me.
Doctorjon 4:43 PM - 11 January, 2011
The only and I mean only party breaks i play are safdsre. Other than that i loop all acapella samples and mix my own beats in.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:46 PM - 11 January, 2011
Quote:
The only and I mean only party breaks i play are safdsre. Other than that i loop all acapella samples and mix my own beats in.

+1 safdsre is a sure thing every time
Doctorjon 4:48 PM - 11 January, 2011
^^^^ ultraaaaaaa combo
DJ Alkemy 5:17 PM - 11 January, 2011
Im not too impressed with safdsre party breaks to be honest
DJ Remy USA 6:29 PM - 11 January, 2011
i still play be faithful its a classic party break but it shouldnt be the highlight of your set. Actually be faithful is my 1130 track it usually gets the crowd ready for whatever im throw down next
RAYSH 8:50 PM - 11 January, 2011
Quote:
Hey Raysh, I thought Australia were pretty up on their Hip-Hop?. But yeah, if they aint then Im sure them party breaks would go down alright. I havn't been able to make myself play them tracks in 4+ years, they go right through me.

not at all... if you think of sydney as greater new york, i would live in the 'Greenwich Connecticut' area where all the suburban white kids live... there are some areas with alot of Polynesian and aboriginals... this would be the 'brooklyn' area aka western suburbs.

but where i live, if i played ANYTHING on hot97 they wouldn't have a clue. teach me how to douggie and blow the whistle are unheard of. in fact, i played that black and yellow song, and ppl looked at me like "wtf is this"
RAYSH 8:52 PM - 11 January, 2011
Quote:
safdsre

im not too familiar with this, ill check this out - basically all i do is go on crooklyn clan and look at thier top 100 partybreaks to keep up to date
Audio1 9:00 PM - 11 January, 2011
Quote:
play one party break and then back to normal songs. i never play like 5 party breaks in a row...
All that needs to be said on this topic. Try playing 0 party breaks if at all possible.
pdidy 10:43 PM - 11 January, 2011
RAYSH...I'm from Brooklyn and stuff like Be Faithful and Let Me Clear My Throat are certified Classics, and some party breaks still work in many parties and clubs. So my point is , play what you want because most djs on this forum have no idea what really works in another djs town, city, state or county. Also keep in mind that many of these djs are BURNED OUT and disgruntled....lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:48 PM - 11 January, 2011
Quote:

play what you want because most djs on this forum have no idea what really works in another djs town, city, state or county

+1000000000000000000000000000, its so funney to hear from some guys on here, "Dude your wack for playing wack ass lil wayne" as im posting a set list from a new orleans gig lol
pdidy 10:57 PM - 11 January, 2011
An safdsre remixes dont work for the clientele i work for and just about every dj on here would have his next baby....go figure....lol
DJ Alkemy 11:16 PM - 11 January, 2011
Quote:
Also keep in mind that many of these djs are BURNED OUT and disgruntled....lol

Thats me right there
nik39 12:01 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
I think there comes a time when certain tracks need to be put to rest. Not timeless classics but stuff like Be Faithful, Let Me Clear My Throat and them god awful party breaks.
nik39 12:02 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
I think there comes a time when certain tracks need to be put to rest. Not timeless classics but stuff like Be Faithful, Let Me Clear My Throat and them god awful party breaks.

+1
RAYSH 12:21 AM - 12 January, 2011
Pdidy, I agree with you for the most part. Naturally there are gonna be songs that are limited to east coast / west coast... but surely, there must be a few classics that are universally appreciated for example, every single track I listed at the beginning of this thread
DJ Deebar 12:33 AM - 12 January, 2011
Ei, guys.. have you heard some music that we called "budots"? it is like a instrumental mix.. i'll upload some if im not so busy.. it can energize party people..
pdidy 1:17 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
Pdidy, I agree with you for the most part. Naturally there are gonna be songs that are limited to east coast / west coast... but surely, there must be a few classics that are universally appreciated for example, every single track I listed at the beginning of this thread

Sure there are but you need to do your homework.....
Quote:
trust me, i'm always looking, scanning, recordpools, blogs everything... I DO put in hard work finding stuff, this thread is an extension of that work...after all, that's what these forums are about, - DJ's coming together, sharing ideas helping eachother etc

I think you may be under the wrong impression of what should be expected on THIS forum. You should expect help and discussions regarding serato scratchlive. This forum may not be the best place to expect the sharing of musical ideas or songs. Many here will help lead you in the right direction without doing the real work for you. Its like tough love, not hate.
I did a search for party breaks an found this serato.com . This thread has alot of real bangers, even nik39 liked it...lol.
nik39 1:34 AM - 12 January, 2011
Ugh... shame on me ;)
pdidy 1:37 AM - 12 January, 2011
Then go here for alot of hiphop classic must haves serato.com
RAYSH 1:39 AM - 12 January, 2011
thanks homie
pdidy 1:45 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
thanks homie

No prob...It may take some time but Once your done, how about you post back with the tracks you choose. That could be interesting...lol
pdidy 1:47 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
Ugh... shame on me ;)

dont front u like dat shit...lol
nik39 2:03 AM - 12 January, 2011
Nah, this might have been an exception but I cant tell you why.. cause yi cant recall those tracks.

I played Be Faithfull probably less than 3 times in my life. Its really the absolute last, last rssort... like when the crowd does not dig any of your music. Of course that track wont work universally... only stupid hiphop crowds will shake their asses.
pdidy 2:11 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
.. only stupid hiphop crowds will shake their asses.

So you dont like people that shake their asses to hiphop????? or are u just in a bad mood....lol
nik39 2:13 AM - 12 January, 2011
I should have emphasized "stupid". HipHop crowds which are stupid will shake their asses to it.
DJMark 3:20 AM - 12 January, 2011
"Be Faithful" is to me the single worst musical abortion so far in the 21st century.

But yes, it has real "fucking stupid drunken idiot" appeal, I'll give it that.
RAYSH 3:21 AM - 12 January, 2011
it never fails me, but then again, i play to drunken white kids 3 times a week lol
DJMark 3:22 AM - 12 January, 2011
I maybe should have added "coked up".
RAYSH 3:25 AM - 12 January, 2011
its so fun to mix in as well - as soon as you hear scoop say "bass drop!" everybody goes insane, its one of those instantly recognisable parts of a song.

same goes with the very beginning of lean back, or the first few beats of party up and hypnotize - BOOM - instant hype
pdidy 3:38 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
its so fun to mix in as well - as soon as you hear scoop say "bass drop!" everybody goes insane, its one of those instantly recognisable parts of a song.

same goes with the very beginning of lean back, or the first few beats of party up and hypnotize - BOOM - instant hype

An in 5 yrs you too will have what i call dj BURN OUT...So Enjoy the music while you still can....lol
RAYSH 3:40 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
dj BURN OUT

is that where you get tired of playing the same shit over and over untill you start to actually hate the song?

if so, i think i already suffer from it! playing those tracks 3 times a week, there's no way i would listen to any song i play out for my own pleasure, its like watching the same movie over and over and over
pdidy 3:44 AM - 12 January, 2011
YES...an some djs get it worse than others but it will happen.
RAYSH 3:58 AM - 12 January, 2011
i find it kicks in once you start getting regular gigs, but when you first start out, its like the most amazing adrenaline rush. Party Up by DMX used to be my FAVORITE song - now its like "ok, i've heard this a million times but i still have to play it because the crowd wil love it and it's my job"
DJ Leon Smith 4:31 AM - 12 January, 2011
Australia is up on hiphop, don't underestimate your crowd. Our DJs really need to move on from these played-out tracks though. I haven't played Be Faithful for years (and not because it's necessarily a horrible club track either, only because I know that the DJ before me probably played it and two of the DJs after me will drop it as well. And Party Up, and Jump Around, etc).

There's a hundred thousand trillion hype tracks to choose from, no need to keep going back to the same three or four every night. If more DJs played something a bit more fresh you'd eventually train the ears of the crowd to enjoy a more diverse selection of music.
Audio1 4:36 AM - 12 January, 2011
What I tell newer DJ's is to try playing originals and rocking the party vs taking the easy route and just play party breaks.
DJMark 6:17 AM - 12 January, 2011
"DJ Burnout" and "Having Musical Taste" are separate issues that should not be confused.
djpuma_gemini 6:31 AM - 12 January, 2011
one party break and out, but I rarely ever play party breaks, if ever. Don't think I've ever played be faithul. I did drop it takes two into rock your body, but it was a transition and not FMS hyped.
nik39 11:39 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
What I tell newer DJ's is to try playing originals

The thing is that the audience recognizes the party-break more than the original. Yes, I play the original. If it is less of a party playing the originals - fine, I can live with that. At least I do not sound like a robot.
DJ Benny B NYC 3:56 PM - 12 January, 2011
every time i dj at a spot owned by australians or with australian staff i try to avoid hip hop bc in the past they have always hated it. thia is in nyc. ive literally had australian people come up to me and be like, "yeahhh, in australia we dont really like hip-hop."
DJ Benny B NYC 3:58 PM - 12 January, 2011
i gotta agree with the bk dude who said be faithful and clear my throat are classics, but im also from bk so go figure...

basically if you are a good dj you can play corny tracks and make it all sound right. just keep practicing.
DJ Remy USA 5:44 PM - 12 January, 2011
be faithful = equal instant packed dance floor. what do with the crowd after that is what separates the men from the mice
Audio1 6:13 PM - 12 January, 2011
Rule of thumb: Play a party break and go into the next cut... No need for party break megamixes. People arent really looking for party breaks in any clubs, unless you are on the east coast, where I've seen people go off to them.
Audio1 6:13 PM - 12 January, 2011
In general, DJ's who play non-stop party breaks are seen as corny and cookie cutter. If you play them, use them wisely and program them accordingly into your sets.
KYLE SMILE 6:15 PM - 12 January, 2011
I think if you're a commercial dj then you're a commercial dj, you can't really get too stuck up about someone playing a track that's overplayed but still huge like anything fatman scoop touches.

Big ones here in the UK....

Usher - Yeah
Fatman Scoop - Be Faithful
Ice Cube - You Can Do It
Mark Morrison - Return of the Mac
Flo Rida - Low (Probably the biggest rnb/hip-hop track still?!)
Christina Aguilera - Dirrty

....also, what's a party break? i'm assuming its what we call a bootleg? The acapella from one track over another?
Audio1 6:18 PM - 12 January, 2011
Party Breaks = Anything with Fat Man Scoop, Lil Jon or any bootleg record with cut up vocal chants/samples called "Hype".
KYLE SMILE 6:38 PM - 12 January, 2011
Ah right, they definitely work over here but agreed - you can't do a full set with them over every track.
RAYSH 4:32 AM - 13 January, 2011
I've been clubbing / Djing in sydney for 5 years and have not heard ANYTHING you would find on crooklyn clan, DMS etc - partybreaks are unheard of down under.

Everytime I drop one, its totally new to the crowd and they love it - that hollaboyz partybreak espescially

The australian scene is totally different - rarely do you find turntables in clubs now. its ALL CDJ'S and by far the most popular genre of music is electronic dance music. Pretty racist - don't really like hip hop lol

I've been to america quite a few times and heard how you guys mix. your industry standard is very different to our industry standard
RAYSH 4:36 AM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
what's a party break?

these are quintessential partybreaks

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Leon Smith 8:53 AM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
I've been clubbing / Djing in sydney for 5 years and have not heard ANYTHING you would find on crooklyn clan, DMS etc - partybreaks are unheard of down under.

Everytime I drop one, its totally new to the crowd and they love it - that hollaboyz partybreak espescially

The australian scene is totally different - rarely do you find turntables in clubs now. its ALL CDJ'S and by far the most popular genre of music is electronic dance music. Pretty racist - don't really like hip hop lol

I've been to america quite a few times and heard how you guys mix. your industry standard is very different to our industry standard

I really don't know what to say to this. Every DJ I know has probably hundreds of Crooklyn Clan records on vinyl (shoutout to Anthem Records RIP) and there are plenty of CC tracks/blends/party breaks that are massive club hits with instant recognition, saying that party breaks are unheard of down here is ridiculous. Also, every club I work at has 1200s and CDJs (if it's one or the other it's 1200s) and I can usually get away with playing anything from Bun B to Britney Spears - sure, EDM is popular right now but it's by no means the only thing that gets a positive reaction from crowds.

I'm not going to be that dickhead who says you're making this up about the scene in Australia, but I do think you're generalising about your experiences and when you project them onto the entire country, it's not right.
RAYSH 12:24 PM - 13 January, 2011
sure i am generalizing a bit, but read what i said... sydney, not the whole of australia. seldom do you find 1200's in clubs here, and if you do, theyre likely to be broken / unused.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:09 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:

really......buying tickets to australia to be a headliner!!!!
Logisticalstyles 4:32 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

really......buying tickets to australia to be a headliner!!!!

I was thinking the same thing. I have a few DJ buddies that have been to Australia and they say it's the best.
DJ Remy USA 4:36 PM - 13 January, 2011
Yo Im down to go crash Australia just get me a plane ticket and a hotel room nothing fancy and I will DJ for free....seriously who doesnt love Australia
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:39 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
Yo Im down to go crash Australia just get me a plane ticket and a hotel room nothing fancy and I will DJ for free....seriously who doesnt love Australia

We should organise a scratchlive.com australian tour LOL
DJ Deebar 4:47 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:

Oh Yeah! nice Idea comes to your mind....
DJ Remy USA 4:48 PM - 13 January, 2011
dont test me bezzle cause I will do it. If we could get a sponsor Im down to crash it up. Anyone is Australia wanna sponser me and bezzle some plane tickets to Australia?
nik39 4:50 PM - 13 January, 2011
Sure, if you can get him not to post on the forum anymore I'll be glad to sponsor the tickets for Bezzle.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:51 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
dont test me bezzle cause I will do it. If we could get a sponsor Im down to crash it up. Anyone is Australia wanna sponser me and bezzle some plane tickets to Australia?

im down apparently all we have to do is print out that playlist from the top 40 tracks from the tunnel and we are SURE to be a hit!!!! ITLL BE EPIC