DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New Macbook Pro - Configuration Reccomendations

Taipanic 3:34 PM - 8 December, 2010
Hi,

Just picked up my first Mac, a new I5 Macbook Pro 17. I plan on using this strictly for DJing, going to be moving into mixing video as well (have also purchased ME). I am very computer literate but a total Mac Newb. What are your reccomendations regarding configuration, recomended software, and anthing else.

Thanks!
Shay Manshary 3:13 PM - 9 December, 2010
the only and most important thing is to enjoy your new mac :)

you have nothing to worry about, it is perfect as is.
Dj Nyce 2:16 AM - 10 December, 2010
no configuration necessary.

but you should at minimum install caffeine, smcfancontrol and maintenance. maintenance should be either scheduled or ran periodically.
DJMark 8:32 AM - 10 December, 2010
I agree that you really don't *have* to do any real tweaking to use a Mac, but this is what I personally do...very fresh in my mind, since I spent part of the evening setting up an "emergency" OS partition on my new media drive:

1) I do a "custom" reinstall of the OS from the discs included with the Mac, leaving out all the printer drivers and extra languages. Just doing that saves 5-6gb of space.

2) I clear out everything in the Dock, except for System Preferences and the Applications, Documents and Downloads Folders. I add the "Utilities" folder next to Documents. I then set all 4 of the Dock folders to display as folders, view content as Lists (do that by right/two-finger-clicking on the folder icons in the Dock). Then I go to System Preferences/Dock, turn on "Automatically hide and show Dock", and crank up the Dock size slider.

2) Still in System Preferences, I go to Energy Saver and turn off the "Automatic Graphics Switching" (to make the computer always use the dedicated GPU). I also turn all the "sleep" options off there, and set everything the same for "battery" (that way, if the power connector gets accidentally unplugged at a gig, something unexpected won't happen with the performance of the computer when it's running off the battery).

3) still in System Preferences, in CD's and DVD's I set everything to "Ignore". (Yes the drive will still work fine, you'll just have to manually decide what to do when inserting a disc).

4) in System Preferences/Security, either disable the infrared reciever completely, or pair it with your choice of remote if you have one. Otherwise *any* Apple remote will be able to put your computer to sleep or do other stuff that you might find annoying.

5) in System Preferences/Desktop & Screen Saver, I set the screen saver to "never".

6) in System Preferences/Bluetooth, I shut off the Bluetooth radio and take the bluetooth status icon out of the Menu Bar.

7) (this is just personal preference) I go to System Preferences/Appearance, and Set "Appearance" to "Graphite".

8) this is the one thing that involves any system-level change: I go to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons, and remove the three items "com.apple.periodic-daily.plist", "com.apple.periodic-weekly.plist", and "com.apple.periodic-monthly.plist". You may want to save those to a logically-named folder in case you change your mind. That prevents the three Unix maintenance scripts from running themselves in the middle of a DJ set, something that may well happen since they're set to run in the wee hours of the morning. You can then use a third-party tool like Onyx or Cocktail to manually run those scripts.

I definitely agree that SMCFanControl is very valuable to have. Both to monitor CPU temperature and to crank up the fans when playing video for hours in a hot room.

I personally use Cocktail, Onyx, Diskwarrior, SMARTUtility and iDefrag for various maintenance functions. iDefrag is the one I use the least.
Taipanic 6:57 PM - 10 December, 2010
Thanks a lot. I figured out most of the graphics and power settings yesterday and then did a 6 hour gig last night. First time on a Mac, everything went smooth. Also played around with ME a little, think I have most of that figured out...
I still have to do research on most of the MAC software as I'm not familiar with any of it.
Res-Q 2:08 AM - 11 January, 2011
Mark, 3)
What happens when you put on a cd to play on SL? will it work?
DJMark 7:29 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
Mark, 3)
What happens when you put on a cd to play on SL? will it work?

Yes. CD's will still mount and show up on desktop, and play in SSL.
five-0h 10:30 AM - 10 July, 2014
Quote:

but you should at minimum install caffeine, smcfancontrol and maintenance. maintenance should be either scheduled or ran periodically.

I was about to download the smcfancontrol app because since I've been using Mixemergency in my mid 2010 MBP, I can't help but notice that it gets hot. However, the software site indicates that it has not been updated since 2012. Also, this thread has been closed since 2011. Does everyone (or anyone) still use these?
Taipanic 1:59 PM - 10 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I was about to download the smcfancontrol app because since I've been using Mixemergency in my mid 2010 MBP, I can't help but notice that it gets hot. However, the software site indicates that it has not been updated since 2012. Also, this thread has been closed since 2011. Does everyone (or anyone) still use these?

I use it, still works great on latest OSX for me (late 2010 MBP17)