DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

AIAIAI TMA-1

Black Science 9:34 PM - 29 October, 2010
Some of you here that know me know my preference in headphones for DJ-use is actually not to use headphones at all, but rather I go with a custom cue stick (aka lollipop, monophone, etc.) with a pair of proper booth monitors and perform the mix in open air. Lots of reasons for this choice, but that's another thread. Anyway, about half the time though, proper monitors are sadly missing when I arrive at certain gigs so I have to resort to traditional cans. Up until a short time ago I've relied on the trusty MDR-7506 from Sony for these situations. I always keep a set in my bag just in case they're needed. They've been great and I have very few complaints about them. Well, I just picked up a set of AIAIAI's new TMA-1 for gig use when a cue stick is inappropriate. The engineers/designers behind these bad boys really seem to understand the shortcomings of so many of the market's so-called "professional" headphones for DJs and have addressed them. As most here already know, the majority of current offerings are just plain consumer grade crap that's dressed up to appeal to the Fashion Conscious Crowd™ whereas these purposely go in the opposite direction (function > form). Love the anti-bling, straight forward, minimalists, no nonsense, robust design — and the sound quality/volume is downright AMAZING. Closest headphones I've heard that compare to these would be Sennheiser's HD25-1 II. Passing this info along for anyone who may be interested in the TMA-1 or in the market for DJ headphones and wasn't aware of them yet.

www.turntablelab.com

tma-1.com

Watchvimeo.com

Watchvimeo.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

www.head-fi.org

gizmodo.com

www.turntablelab.com
bill-e 9:53 PM - 29 October, 2010
:(

my aiaiai thread went nowhere...serato.com
n:deuce 12:27 AM - 30 October, 2010
nice to hear some feedback on these.
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:15 AM - 30 October, 2010
I'm sold. Those are my next cans.
Socamonarch 1:47 AM - 30 October, 2010
I have them.. Great set of Cans..
Rob Pointer 2:13 AM - 30 October, 2010
I have them as well. Really like them a lot.
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:16 AM - 30 October, 2010
Quote:

I tried
bill-e 6:00 AM - 30 October, 2010
lol thanks dub
anthracite98 1:25 AM - 31 October, 2010
Ohh those look tasty!!! Being a bigger-headed guy, I'd like to try them on somewhere first to see how comfy they are. Also, I like to monitor at very low volumes and a loss of high-end at that level might be irritating. Still, love my Xone's but these just LOOK badass!!
michaelp 4:24 AM - 31 October, 2010
I also am a big headed dude, these things are comfortable as HELL. I can use them for hours and hours and my ears don't feel it whatsoever. (This hasn't been the case with me for most headphones.) And the sound quality is great and they're loud.

I agree with the initial poster, these are great cans. And they look real cool too.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:34 AM - 31 October, 2010
It looks like they don't fold up.

What is storage like?

Do they come with a black leather bag like every other headphone?
bill-e 9:51 AM - 31 October, 2010
can anybody compare them with the obvious?

i'd like to get another set of headphones...i'm starting to get an addiction....
michaelp 3:31 PM - 31 October, 2010
As far as storage goes, I always have them around my neck or sitting on my decks at home so it's not something I've paid attention to. It comes with a soft synthetic bag. You can see the packaging in this video: Watchwww.youtube.com

I don't have experience with a ton of different headphones. I used to use the Technics headphones, which I never had any problems with, but these are more comfortable, have better isolation, look cooler, and sound better.

For casual listening headphones on my ipod, I was using the Beats by Dre Solo HD (the smaller ones, no the huge ones). The AIAIAI's are less bass heavy, probably closer to being flat (although still a little elevated on the bass), and truer to the original. I think they sound better. They're WAY more comfortable. The Beats by Dre would start to hurt my ears after an hour or two of listening, whereas I can use the AIAIAI's literally all day.

I generally hear them compared with the Sennheiser HD-25's soundwise. Most people have been saying they sound slightly better than the Sennheiser's, but I have no experience with them so I can't say myself. What I've gathered from different reviews is that the Sennheiser's are probably more of a completely flat sound, which is better for studio monitoring since that's what you want, while the AIAIAI's have slightly elevated bass levels, which sounds better to your ears. So it kind of depends on what you want. Since I'm not doing studio monitoring, and I'm also using them on my iPod (in which I have less control over the EQ), I went with the AIAIAI's.
Black Science 1:10 PM - 1 November, 2010
Quote:

I did a forum wide search here for "TMA-1" prior to posting this thread and strangely the only thread that came up was titled "so..how about some thick women?" lol serato.com :shrugs:
Black Science 1:13 PM - 1 November, 2010
Quote:
Also, I like to monitor at very low volumes and a loss of high-end at that level might be irritating.

As far as I know, all passive headphones will exhibit this type of behavior to one degree or another, but using an Empath corrects for this because it provides an independent headphone EQ feature. Very cool and useful.
Black Science 1:17 PM - 1 November, 2010
Quote:
It looks like they don't fold up.

What is storage like?

Correct, the TMA-1 does not fold. I personally have not found this to be an issue with the way I carry my gear (Headliner Stashpack). The TMA-1's thin headband and relatively small diameter cans provide a slim profile that slips in just fine. Not only that, but the material AIAIAI uses for the band is extremely flexible. I actually tried to intentionally break them by bending the band to extremes to find out how durable it was going to be before flying of to a gig somewhere. I wanted to find out prio to heading out rather than after for obvious reasons. So far, so good. They really did their homework on these. Super duper kudos AIAIAI.
Black Science 1:19 PM - 1 November, 2010
Quote:

They do come with a storage bag, but it is not leather or even fake leather like most other headphones come with — rather it is a techy type of soft material with a hefty zipper and pull tab.
Black Science 1:29 PM - 1 November, 2010
Quote:
can anybody compare them with the obvious?

If by "the obvious" you mean the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, then here's my comparison:

Comfort: Anyone who has used HD25-IIs knows they are very comfy to wear for extended times. I felt the comfort is slightly better with the TMA-1. I think this is primarily due to the cans not pressing inward as hard. You can't go wrong with either in this department.

Sound: TMA-1s sound very close to the HD25-IIs (which are phenomenal with only the bass and maybe the highs having a very slight emphasis over the Senns. I actually prefer this slight boosting a bit for DJ applications. Not sure if I would want this in the studio though or if the boost is enough to make a difference there, but I still plan o using the tried and true 7506s in the studio anyway. That's my reference in the studio and am sticking with it.
SUBSTANCE 10:46 PM - 1 November, 2010
hmmmm, I might as well stick with my HD-25 II's then.
I would rather have a flat, more accurate portrayal of the signal coming through the mixer channel. Having the headphones colour the sound in a manner different to the speakers is not something I want.
j_dim 4:42 PM - 3 November, 2010
can't dj in them. hd 25's for djing.
they are good for production, but not for djing.
djchope 5:23 PM - 3 November, 2010
can i cover these with rhinestones and bling?
thanks, i use virtual DJ
Black Science 11:24 PM - 3 November, 2010
Quote:
can i cover these with rhinestones and bling?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, included in the factory packaging along with the carry pouch, cables, extra ear pads, etc. was small a Bedazzler™ Kit. It had about 150 self-stick jewels of assorted colors and sizes and handy instruction booklet complete with example idea templates of various pre-made designs. Gotta hand it to AIAIAI, they really thought of everything when it comes to the modern professional DJ's needs. Thanks guys! Can't wait to decorate mine. :thumbsup:
[O/][iii][O/] 8:08 PM - 12 November, 2010
Just got done making a custom cable for my TMA-1s. Figured I'd share for anyone who has them (or any other headphone for that matter that uses detachable cables) and wants to upgrade from factory supplied ones.

Parts:
• Neutrik NP3RX – 90º 1/4" TRS Plug
• Neutrik NYS231B – 0º 1/8" TRS Plug
• Canare Star Quad – 21 AWG Cable

[img]i825.photobucket.com[/img]
michaelp 9:09 PM - 12 November, 2010
Those look cool. What is better about the cable, though?

My only complaint about the headphone is the lack of a right angle plug.
[O/][iii][O/] 9:54 PM - 12 November, 2010
Quote:
Those look cool. What is better about the cable, though?

My only complaint about the headphone is the lack of a right angle plug.

• Perfect length
• No kinking or coiling issues
• No adapters required
• 90º low-profile plug at mixer
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:02 PM - 12 November, 2010
• Looks dope
n:deuce 3:35 PM - 13 November, 2010
i second that
Evil_banana 4:20 PM - 13 November, 2010
Quote:
Just got done making a custom cable for my TMA-1s. Figured I'd share for anyone who has them (or any other headphone for that matter that uses detachable cables) and wants to upgrade from factory supplied ones.

Parts:

OMG! Ultimate Drewlage!

Those cans already look great, but the cable makes it close to perfection :o)

Question. I do own the HD25-13. Do these isolate better than the Sennheisers?
Do they still sit tightly as well? (I move a lot when spinning)
Proto J 9:01 AM - 25 November, 2010
^ that's my question, do they isolate better? because i use a custom ear plug in my other ear to protect it, and the magic of the sennheisers is how they protect my other ear so well.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:10 PM - 29 November, 2010
woo hoo. never thought my wife would swoop on a cyber monday deal but looks like the TMI-1s will be under my tree this year.

check it.

$50 off, ends today
www.dijitalfix.com
ninos 6:42 PM - 29 November, 2010
i cant get over about that cable mod up there ^^ its just so sexy!
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:13 PM - 29 November, 2010
Agreed...I'll be doing something similar to that ASAP.
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:14 PM - 29 November, 2010
'cept in yellow
Proto J 7:16 AM - 30 November, 2010
i really need to know if these isolate as well as the hd's...

the hd's really protect my ear.
thewevel 4:38 PM - 30 November, 2010
i was on the fence about these because of the price, but with that discount, i'm in for a pair...these better not suck.

thanks for the link dub cowboy.
[O/][iii][O/] 4:58 PM - 30 November, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Parts:

OMG! Ultimate Drewlage!

Those cans already look great, but the cable makes it close to perfection :o)

Question. I do own the HD25-13. Do these isolate better than the Sennheisers?
Do they still sit tightly as well? (I move a lot when spinning)

Quote:
^ that's my question, do they isolate better? because i use a custom ear plug in my other ear to protect it, and the magic of the sennheisers is how they protect my other ear so well.

I wouldn't say the TMA-1 isolate any better or worse than HD 25-1 II (although the Senns seem to feel like they press inward slightly tighter which may be good or bad depending on your head and preference). Not a big deal IMO either way. Both are fantastic headphones. For whatever it's worth, my head is probably average size and I wore my TMA-1s connected to my iPhone during a 5K marathon last week in 30º/misty weather and they did not slip on me once while running. I did get some funny looks though from the typical earbud crowd.
anthracite98 7:33 PM - 30 November, 2010
^^nice...

and yes thanks for the sale link; I needed a decent backup pair so between the 53's and these I say I'll have a good night either way.
Proto J 10:59 AM - 15 December, 2010
soooo...

those of you who just recently copped these, what do you think so far?
thewevel 2:19 PM - 15 December, 2010
Here's a write up I did on another forum:

Quote:
I got them today. First they're a lot louder than my Ultrasone DJ1s. I think because Ultrasone bills the DJ1s as having a feature to protect you from hearing loss, however in noisy bar/club environments it's almost next to impossible to use them. I would have the headphone volume up over 3/4ths of the way on my mixer to actually hear anything out of them. If I do that with the TMA-1s I feel pretty confident that my eardrums will shatter.

As far as sound quality it depends on what you want. The DJ1s have an exaggerated bass and treble response which sounds ok at lower volumes but causes them to distort at louder volumes (see above). The TMA-1s sound kind of muddy at lower volumes but clear up when you get loud. The bass response varies with which ear cushions you use. The leather ones are more isolating but slightly less comfortable, so you get better bass response at the cost of comfort. The foam cushions feel better but don't seal as well so you get less bass.

The TMA-1s don't collapse but they do come with a nylon carrying bag that has a giant zipper. They're pretty compact so not being able to fold them up isn't a huge deal. The materials feel pretty good, the flat black coating looks awesome. The cord is detachable as well which makes it pretty easy to replace.

Overall I would recommend them if you are ok with the flat frequency response. I think for house/electro/techno dj's they'd be perfect but for Top40/hip hop dj's they're probably not what you want. I'm going to use them for my gig tomorrow night; we'll see how that goes.

i've used them at gigs a few times and i stand by that they're really loud. i've been pretty happy with them.
dj pesh 4:50 PM - 19 May, 2011
Just bought the TMA-1's and they are awesome.
Steve Dub. 9:14 PM - 19 May, 2011
Just ordered mine today. I'll let you guys know what I think about them in comparison to my past headphones.

Sony's (forgot the model but the one's everyone used to have)
Technics (I've had both models)
Ultrasone DJ1's (my current and favorite so far, lasted me 3 years but the left side went out so I wanna try something new but they are rugged as hell)
dj pesh 11:26 PM - 19 May, 2011
Let me know what you think Steve Dub. Ive got some HD 25's but the TMA-1's sound better to me and where im from they are rare. I will put them on par with Beats by Dre Studio.
Steve Dub. 11:36 PM - 19 May, 2011
My main attraction to them are the minimalist design. I HATE the beats and other headphones with branding all over them.
the_black_one 1:49 AM - 20 May, 2011
Quote:
My main attraction to them are the minimalist design. I HATE the beats and other headphones with branding all over them.

AMEN!!!!

Finally someone that does not like the gilts and glamor of those horrible, ugly (look at me, i'm a dj headphones).
FrankC15 3:35 AM - 20 May, 2011
I have these and absolutely love them. Plus, they're a great value. About the same price as beats, but with a much better design, and better sound quality.
Steve Dub. 7:57 PM - 23 May, 2011
Got mine over the weekend. They were waiting for me when I got home on Sunday. Can't wait to use them tomorrow.
Sureshot (PA) 7:13 PM - 1 August, 2011
I just picked up a pair and they are by far the best headphones i've owned personally (SOny MDR-7506's and V700s) and the best i've heard as well (Pioneer 2ks, HD 25-1 II's and most of the other noteworthy headphones). Plus the styling and design is legit. My only complaint so far is that i've danced to the point of disconnecting them a few times. Planning to build a custom cable. Hoping the new connectoer will be a bit tighter and solve that problem, although it is definitely user error.
Steve Dub. 9:42 PM - 2 August, 2011
After having them a few months now I can say that I don't like the fact that they sit very loose on my head which is fine while spinnin but when I'm trying to listen to music with both cups on my ears they don't sit tight enough and don't drown out the outside noise very well.
Proto J 3:57 AM - 3 August, 2011
^ that's the main thing i love about the sennheisers, so i'm glad i read that, i won't be spending money on these then.

the sennheisers block outside noise so well i wear a plug in the other ear and rarely have any ringing in the ear with the headphone on it. that's important to me.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:08 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
After having them a few months now I can say that I don't like the fact that they sit very loose on my head which is fine while spinnin but when I'm trying to listen to music with both cups on my ears they don't sit tight enough and don't drown out the outside noise very well.

did you try both foams?

I don't have this issue, but I may have a big head
Sureshot (PA) 5:18 AM - 3 August, 2011
i don't have that issue. and i have a relatively small head (second to last setting on the headband).

i'm sure they're not going to be perfect for everybody though. most of you posers don't use headphones anyway.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:37 AM - 3 August, 2011
LOL
Proto J 10:12 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
i don't have that issue. and i have a relatively small head (second to last setting on the headband).

i'm sure they're not going to be perfect for everybody though. most of you posers don't use headphones anyway.

ya know, there's this new breed of DJ's around here who don't use headphones, i call 'em wave watchers. LOL! this dude showed me the screen the other day where you can view the smaller pitch increments to really lock the mix up.

they coulda never hung back in the days of vinyl and pitch chasing. LOL!

anyways, i will likely buy these headphones and give them a shot. my sennheisers are always shorting out on one side of the other and it's getting on my nerves...
Steve Dub. 2:26 PM - 3 August, 2011
I'm going back to my ultrasones and keeping these as a back up
[O/][iii][O/] 2:46 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
ya know, there's this new breed of DJ's around here who don't use headphones, i call 'em wave watchers.

Ya know, there's an older breed of DJs around too who don't use headphones. I call 'em experienced and knowing their tracks inside and out. >>> www.djforums.com
DJJorel 4:39 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
I just picked up a pair and they are by far the best headphones i've owned personally (SOny MDR-7506's and V700s) and the best i've heard as well (Pioneer 2ks, HD 25-1 II's and most of the other noteworthy headphones). Plus the styling and design is legit. My only complaint so far is that i've danced to the point of disconnecting them a few times. Planning to build a custom cable. Hoping the new connectoer will be a bit tighter and solve that problem, although it is definitely user error.

This is the only thing that annoys me about my TMA-1s...even after building a custom cable with the parts listed in an earlier post, the cable is just too easy to disconnect.

Has anybody out there come up with a viable solution to this?
[O/][iii][O/] 5:09 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

This is the only thing that annoys me about my TMA-1s...even after building a custom cable with the parts listed in an earlier post, the cable is just too easy to disconnect.

I personally have not experienced this problem. Cable (both factory original as well as custom one I made linked above) are snug as a bug and have never accidentally disconnected. You may have a pair that are out of tolerance spec on the jack receptacle. I recommend exchanging.
CMOS 7:40 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
my sennheisers are always shorting out on one side of the other and it's getting on my nerves...

Make sure the lil black n red cables are pushed all the way in, i thought my cup was going bad but it was just a loose connection.
anthracite98 8:09 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:

I was going to try velcro. Just a small strip with extra hanging off the cable tip [nm] and then the opposite velcro on the earcup to catch the overhang.
DJSHARK 1:28 AM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:

Me to
sacrilicious 10:17 PM - 15 February, 2012
Just got them based solely on reviews without having a chance to listen to them and I'm disappointed with the clarity of the sound...anyone have feedback on how long they take to break in?
matt_b 12:26 AM - 16 February, 2012
try 40 hours, go on youtube search pinknoise and play that
most importantly play them loud otherwise its going to take a lot longer to break them in.
lvmez 1:21 AM - 16 February, 2012
I bought a pair about 3 weeks ago after using technics for 6 years.

I regret not getting them sooner.