DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Guys - it is time to change your DJ names

Eduardo Serrano 6:46 PM - 27 October, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.1.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.4
---

I used to be DJ Eduardo "Boom Box" Serrano. Then I changed it to DJ Eduardo Serrano, now it is only Eduardo Serrano

Why you might ask?

Think about it, the best DJs out there don't use "DJ" in their names, right? And they don’t use weird names Like Dj crono, DJ escrit, DJ latsy, DJ botdom, DJ tik tok, DJ lark.

Let’s start thinking thet we are the best DJs out there; besides it looks\sounds cleaner.

Here are some of the best DJs in the world and what is in their DJ name? Their First Name and tehir Last Name, that’s it

Tiesto
Armin Van Buuren
David Guetta
Deadmau5
Paul Van Dyk
Louie DeVito
Ferry Corsten
Roger Sanchez
Eric Prydz
Robbie Rivera
David Morales and uh, oh yeah, Eduardo Serrano :)

Any comments?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:51 PM - 27 October, 2010
This should really go in the dj discussion area.

I'll move it. Good thread though, interesting point.
6:51 PM, 27 Oct 2010
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
Eduardo Serrano 6:52 PM - 27 October, 2010
Thank you Chad, where do I get to that discusion.
Logisticalstyles 7:08 PM - 27 October, 2010
Some of those names are not their birth names.

I once had my phone number on my banner at a bar I dj'ed at and it was not a good idea. People were calling all the time for the dumbest stuff. In this day and age of the internet, the last thing I want to do is give my Government name out to a bunch of drunks. Not everyone is going to be an adoring fan.
Eduardo Serrano 7:16 PM - 27 October, 2010
True, I can see your point. I guess for some Name and Last Name won't work.
Loopman 7:18 PM - 27 October, 2010
I see what music you like but ever heard of Dj Jazzy Jeff, Dj Klever, Dj Craze, Dj Spinbad, Dj AM, Dj Maseo and uh, oh yeah, Dj Eduardo Serrano :) ? and yeah the list goes on..

I guarantee that it isn't your dj/producer name that will get you over the top!!

good luck with picking your name :) I had mine since 95 and not gonna change it, and no it don't have Dj infront of it either - do you think that is why I made my living of it the last 15 years :D ?!?!?
DJ Pullout 7:19 PM - 27 October, 2010
yup... or even giving out a business card with your cell on it.... Ive had assholes calling me in the dead of the night. Mostly because they think my DJ name is hysterical. lol.
Eduardo Serrano 7:28 PM - 27 October, 2010
LOL, that is funny Pullout.
Eduardo Serrano 7:29 PM - 27 October, 2010
Thanks for the comment Loopman -
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:33 PM - 27 October, 2010
Quote:
And they don’t use weird names Like Dj crono, DJ escrit, DJ latsy, DJ botdom, DJ tik tok, DJ lark.
Here are some of the best DJs in the world and what is in their DJ name? Their First Name and tehir Last Name, that’s it

Deadmau5
Any comments?

you ruined your whole point right there...is Deadmau5 his first or last name?? Its damn weird
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:34 PM - 27 October, 2010
Quote:
I used to be DJ Eduardo "Boom Box" Serrano. Then I changed it to DJ Eduardo Serrano, now it is only Eduardo Serrano

Why you might ask?

Think about it, the best DJs out there don't use "DJ" in their names, right? And they don’t use weird names Like Dj crono, DJ escrit, DJ latsy, DJ botdom, DJ tik tok, DJ lark.

Let’s start thinking thet we are the best DJs out there; besides it looks\sounds cleaner.

Tiesto
Armin Van Buuren
David Guetta
Deadmau5
Paul Van Dyk
Louie DeVito
Ferry Corsten
Roger Sanchez
Eric Prydz
Robbie Rivera

Any comments?

also as a side comment fromt he list you posted the reason none of them have DJ in front of their name is because for the most part their PRODUCERS, djing is just how they put their music on display\a performance piece.
Black Science 7:35 PM - 27 October, 2010
Quote:

Tiesto
Armin Van Buuren
David Guetta
Deadmau5
Paul Van Dyk
Louie DeVito
Ferry Corsten
Roger Sanchez
Eric Prydz
Robbie Rivera

Any comments?

Yes, I have a comment: Last time I checked, overall popularity/name recognition/etc. doesn't necessarily equate being "the best" within any given field. One only needs to look at McDonald's as a perfect example of proof this.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:37 PM - 27 October, 2010
also tiesto isnt tiestos real name either his Tijs Michiel Verwest and he also goes by other alieses such as DJ TIESTO , Allure, Da Joker, Drumfire, Handover Circuit, Paradise In Dubs, Passenger, Roze, Steve Forte Rio, Stray Dog, Tom Ace, Wild Bunch
djchrischip 7:38 PM - 27 October, 2010
im actually tryin to change mine but idk wat i want it to be
Eduardo Serrano 7:38 PM - 27 October, 2010
Ignore Deadmau5 Dj-M.Bezzle, I didnt meanto put him in the list
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:38 PM - 27 October, 2010
Quote:
Ignore Deadmau5

i try to
Eduardo Serrano 7:39 PM - 27 October, 2010
LOL, I love his music thou
dj chonga 1:59 AM - 1 February, 2012
same here
slimmjimm 2:13 AM - 1 February, 2012
Old thread is old.
dj_soo 3:42 AM - 1 February, 2012
haha

is there anything douchier than a dj using his first and last name? Note it's usually eurotrance guys or progressive house guys...
DJ Tecniq 4:41 AM - 1 February, 2012
Quote:
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.1.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.4
---

Why you might ask?

Tiesto
Armin Van Buuren
David Guetta
Deadmau5
Paul Van Dyk
Louie DeVito
Ferry Corsten
Roger Sanchez
Eric Prydz
Robbie Rivera

Any comments?
Personally I would prefer DJ Serrano over first and last... "It's DJ Serrano using Serato on the 1's & 2's"
sixxx 4:43 AM - 1 February, 2012
Well, I'll keep using my first and middle names as my DJ name....

DJ Sixxx. :)

nm
DJ Tecniq 4:48 AM - 1 February, 2012
And this thread can work both ways..there are succesful dj's with the normal "DJ-Name" and then there's others with first and last which are all mainly house or edm dj's if that's what you're going for. For example my dj name is DJ Tecniq but I could also drop the dj the next time I market myself as "Tecniq"..I don't really think it makes a difference
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:31 AM - 1 February, 2012
I think there is something to be said for finding a DJ name that is catchy and one that people will remember, but at the end of the day, a good DJ name will only get you so far, its the skills and selection that will stick in peoples minds.

In all facets of music, there are DJs that stick DJ in front of their name, or don't, and are successful for mostly other reasons than their name.
Groove Factor 2:15 PM - 2 February, 2012
Did he just call Louie Devito one of the best DJs in the world?

LMFAO
DJ Remy USA 3:03 PM - 2 February, 2012
when I first started I went through about 4 DJ names before I finally settle on what I have now its my name with DJ in front of it.
Bigga Bounce Ent 6:16 PM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
I think there is something to be said for finding a DJ name that is catchy and one that people will remember, but at the end of the day, a good DJ name will only get you so far, its the marketing, networking, and promo that will stick in peoples minds.

In all facets of music, there are DJs that stick DJ in front of their name, or don't, and are successful for mostly other reasons than their name.

FIXED
DJ Michael Basic 6:40 PM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
Did he just call Louie Devito one of the best DJs in the world?

LMFAO

No, he didn't JUST call Louie Devito one of the best DJs in the world...he did it about 2 years ago.
Groove Factor 6:43 PM - 2 February, 2012
Oh that changes everything. Got it.
DJ Michael Basic 7:01 PM - 2 February, 2012
Haha...old ass thread.
ral 8:10 PM - 2 February, 2012
op must be a relative of roman zerano

serato.com
Dj JesC 8:45 PM - 2 February, 2012
ok then I want to change my dj name to Jes-C or Jesse O'rosco Pico Train

necroposting rules.
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:06 PM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
I think there is something to be said for finding a DJ name that is catchy and one that people will remember, but at the end of the day, a good DJ name will only get you so far, its the marketing, networking, and promo that will stick in peoples minds.

FIXED

Ha! You are probably not wrong these days..but I like to think peeps with true skills gather long term respect in the game, as opposed to DJs that create a whole lot of hype and only get short term fame.

I might just be dreaming though.
DJ Remy USA 9:27 PM - 2 February, 2012
^^^^^this how long can these guys without skills keep up the gimmick. I understand certain guys are in their position because they paid dues waaaaay back in the day. A lot of DJs at least in the hiphop world are solidified because they are playing all the hot street records and getting there name hot that way.
Bigga Bounce Ent 12:09 AM - 3 February, 2012
^^^ In my area NOT AT ALL the case! I wish it were, about 50% of the dj's round here would be done for. But alas it's not. It's all about how many friends you have on FB and how many bad mixes you can throw up on pod o matic.

Like i said I wish it were different...but it's not.
DJ Remy USA 4:00 AM - 3 February, 2012
Funny you mention Facebook I had a owner reach out to me. She wanted to book me and she was very excited. She then says "I went to your facebook page and I see you have a lot of friends" I'm like ok and......Facebook friends doesn't translate to getting people in the door
Bigga Bounce Ent 6:38 PM - 3 February, 2012
Quote:
Facebook friends doesn't translate to getting people in the door

totally agree, but bullshit baffles brains!
Papa Midnight 7:09 PM - 3 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Facebook friends doesn't translate to getting people in the door

totally agree, but bullshit baffles brains!

Money talks but bullshit walks...

Anyway, I've seen people with thousands of friends (quite literally upwards of 3,000 "friends") come around and start sending spamming invites to events and still not even come close to bringing 20 people to an event - and on a Saturday night at that.
DJWALDO 10:09 PM - 3 February, 2012
celebrities have fans and followers... djs have people that clicked "like" just to stop receiving the invite to the page....
Eduardo Serrano 8:29 PM - 1 March, 2012
I love all the comments, keep them coming..
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:33 PM - 1 March, 2012
lol, since this thread started, I've changed my DJ name. lulz.

Not playing the genre anymore that my name for the past 12 years has been associated with....... but if you're in town march 31st, catch Olcyrus and the Compound crew open it up for Hive......... and then I'll let the name die.......... until I get talked into another "one more set" sometime later this year or next.
echa1945mf 8:35 PM - 1 March, 2012
i have actually no idea the correlation between facebook friends and getting people in T_T , i have never ever been asked how many friends i have in facebook by anybody's booking me LOL
echa1945mf 8:36 PM - 1 March, 2012
i barely touch my facebook LOL my manager does, i just do tweets LOL
Eduardo Serrano 9:06 PM - 1 March, 2012
What is the name Chad?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:52 PM - 1 March, 2012
I'm using ChadS now since

A) most people here / in the industry ect know me by that name.... Wonder why? lol
B) playing different genres than my old alias
C) it's fun not having name recognition because you actually have to work to make people dance as opposed to being a headliner and getting courtesy dancing if the show stinks. How many headliners have you seen blowing up a 5,000 person party but nearly trainwrecking every mix..... no matter people are still dancing.
D) I though one more reason would make this list sound more official ;)
Eduardo Serrano 12:35 AM - 3 March, 2012
Very true!
Dj JesC 1:55 AM - 3 March, 2012
so can i drop the DJ from my profile name here and be known as "JesC" ?
DJ Reflex 6:59 AM - 11 March, 2012
Got my DJ name 18 years ago from the font that I used to make my first business cards. REFLEX was the name of the cheesy font style on my dad's Commodore computer. I don't go by DJ Reflex, just Reflex DJ Service. Then again, I only run a mobile business on the side... no international club stuff.

BTW. JesC is still catchy. Eduardo Serrano is cool too, but without some sort of funky spelling or a title, you could be running a law firm or something. I wouldn't know that you were a DJ supreme. I'm sure your cards or flyers have some great graphics that might point out your DJ status.
Mr. Goodkat 10:00 AM - 11 March, 2012
'boom box' was just a dumb name.
Steve Dub. 10:19 AM - 11 March, 2012
Too bad theres already a more established DJ Reflex.
echa1945mf 12:03 PM - 11 March, 2012
dj facebender sounds good
DJ Remy USA 1:52 PM - 11 March, 2012
Quote:

father of 12..lol
echa1945mf 3:54 PM - 11 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

father of 12..lol

single father of 12

LMAO!! simons face when richie hawtin drop is priceless
Hassle 1:06 PM - 12 March, 2012
I try to avoid the 'DJ' in front of my name as well on posters and flyers. My boy recently changed his DJ name from DJ JE$$ROTULL to just 'I Am Jesse'. I like it.
Eduardo Serrano 9:34 PM - 1 April, 2012
Nice, I guess there is all for all tastes, it is all about having fun with your name.
Drew18880 6:41 PM - 4 May, 2012
What's your opinions on DJ Anthony Wild?
ced_so_thoed 6:48 PM - 4 May, 2012
ay
I've always been Ceddy Ced, Tha Hustla's DJ. And when I'm battling my name is Godzilla. Godzilla was my childhood hero and I can make the comparison of him and a battle dj. But I never liked the name DJ Ceddy Ced. So whenever someone made a flier saying DJ CeddY Ced or said that i would have to correct them. Took a while but now folks got it right.
yep
CBSDJDAVE 1:41 AM - 31 July, 2014
I dont like my DJ name, I go by Dj Dave, real name Dave Gonzales, i was thinking of DJ Gonzo, but i really dont like that also, i have looking to change it many years but no luck yet, i been thinking about my real name with something else, need suggestions.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:05 AM - 31 July, 2014
DJ Gonzo is the winner. Snatch it up before somebody else does...
DJ Reflex 4:07 AM - 31 July, 2014
3.bp.blogspot.com

Good look for any DJ!
DJ Remix Detroit 1:22 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
I dont like my DJ name, I go by Dj Dave, real name Dave Gonzales, i was thinking of DJ Gonzo, but i really dont like that also, i have looking to change it many years but no luck yet, i been thinking about my real name with something else, need suggestions.

What about DJ Dave G?
 6 3:14 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
DJ Gonzo is the winner. Snatch it up before somebody else does...

Hopefully that was sarcasm. I know 2 DJ Gonzos already

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:25 PM - 31 July, 2014
Dj gonzo 3
sumoJr 3:57 PM - 31 July, 2014
dj fozzie bear
DJ Reflex 9:14 PM - 31 July, 2014
Dr. Tooth?!?! Heck, we could do a whole Muppets theme!
 6 3:46 AM - 1 August, 2014
DJ Badguy. It's pronounced BadGee. It's French. nm
CBSDJDAVE 6:33 AM - 1 August, 2014
Lol
Jumbo Boogie 11:40 AM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:

GONZILLA!......aahhhhh run!
 6 11:04 PM - 1 August, 2014
lol @ Gonzilla

nm