DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Lil' Jon headlining massive rave party. Sellout move or genius marketing?

Eric N 7:01 PM - 6 October, 2010
www.nwtekno.org

Here in Seattle, the rave scene goes through peaks and valleys over long periods of time. Back in the day (mid-90s), USC put on the biggest parties... the most known series being Freaknight (the annual halloween party).

Back then, they would bring out oldskool hip hop acts like Digital Underground, Pharcyde, or Run DMC in addition to all of the EDM headliners and local EDM guys. This would not only make for a diverse lineup, but would also get them a LOT more heads, since they would have essentially two different demographics showing up at the same party.

For the last few years, they have been sticking to just bigger-name EDM acts (BT, Prodigy, etc) for their shows... and while they have put on killer events, attendance has not been as solid as it was many years ago. The scene as a whole is smaller now than it was back then though, to be fair. Even without Lil Jon, the show has a killer lineup with Infected Mushroom, Steve Aoki, and a bunch of other top-notch bookings, but even so I bet their numbers would have been similar to the last couple of years once it was all counted. There are only so many people into EDM in the area and it's not the "next big thing" to the media like it was 15 years ago.

I have to wonder if the Lil' Jon booking is an attempt to revitalize attendance for Seattle raves in general... if they are thinking that they will pull a bunch of underage heads JUST to see Lil' Jon that will then start coming back week after week to check out other parties.

Even if that wasn't the INTENDED goal back in the 90s, it certainly worked that way. People would come out either to see the hip hop act (if there was one) or to shut up a friend who wouldn't stop talking about "OMG you gotta come check out these parties", and they would roll balls, have a great time, and become converts and insta-ravers.

I am kinda iffy on the whole thing. There are too many underage prostitots and lingerie-vers at shows already... you bring in a "crunk crowd" and mix that with the stuff that is available at parties... who knows what kinda shit could pop off. E-tarded thizz gangsters = FAIL lol.

I think it could be a good move for boosting numbers overall across the scene, but at what cost?

What do you guys think?
Banana_Peter 7:12 PM - 6 October, 2010
I doubt real "hood mofos (since I can't use the N word anymore here)" would show up to a rave party. I wouldn't if I was a "crunk mofo"
Eric N 7:19 PM - 6 October, 2010
I dunno, if past trends are any indication... you'd be surprised. Then again, Lil' Jon is not Tech9yne lol. I don't think he is gonna pull out the super-thugs so much, but definitely a more urban-radio/suburban thug type crowd than would otherwise show up.

I would bet good money that they pull WAY more people this year, and that an entry or exit poll would confirm that a TON of people came just for Lil' Jon.
Wazo 7:27 PM - 6 October, 2010
that party looks so dope!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:29 PM - 6 October, 2010
Quote:
I doubt real "hood mofos (since I can't use the N word anymore here)" would show up to a rave party. I wouldn't if I was a "crunk mofo"

+1

Yall do realise lil jon was a bad ass EDM DJ in ATL BEFORE he introduced crunkness to the world right
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:31 PM - 6 October, 2010
I also think if anyones going to this just to see lil jon thell be damn dissappointed
Eric N 7:35 PM - 6 October, 2010
Quote:

Yall do realise lil jon was a bad ass EDM DJ in ATL BEFORE he introduced crunkness to the world right

You and I know that, but the army of eleventeen year olds that are going to show up for this just know him as "that guy who goes YEEEEAAAHHH!" ;)

Quote:

I also think if anyones going to this just to see lil jon thell be damn dissappointed

There aren't a lot of big all ages shows with urban headliners 'round these parts lol. You usually have to be 21+ to see something like a Lil Jon DJ set in Seattle. I would bet that the people who buy tickets TO see him will not be disappointed, just like the crowd went nuts for Grandmaster Flash in February even though he didn't mix 2 records the whole time he was on. People want what they are fed to believe is hot, not what actually is.
Banana_Peter 7:57 PM - 6 October, 2010
I'd go. They never have crap like this in Dallas. This city blows, I need to move...
Eric N 8:03 PM - 6 October, 2010
Quote:

Also, to be fair, this isn't your typical shitty venue, sweaty basement "rave party". It falls into the rave category because 90% of the performers do, and because it will have lasers and all of the other "neccessary elements", but this is a full-scale event.

This is at WaMu theater (which is attached to the Seahawks Stadium) and this party is usually advertised in print media, radio commercials, and even on the sides of Metro buses some years.
djpuma_gemini 8:25 PM - 6 October, 2010
I'm spinning that night but if I wasn't I probably would go.

Did you hear lil jon spin at this years spring break. he was banging out the electro heaters, so I think it's a smart move.

Not sure how many people from Seattle would go just for lil jon. I'm sure a lot of people from Tacoma would drive up to see him.
Eric N 8:30 PM - 6 October, 2010
Word, I have heard that he throws down with the electro. I'm at the Muckleshoot that night or I would check it out just for shits and giggles.

Side note to Puma - I see you've been at Masa lately... love that place! Did a Friday there a couple months ago and it was off the heezy. :)
DiGiTALRiCE 10:03 PM - 6 October, 2010
i wanna go!
Chad S. 10:06 PM - 6 October, 2010
lol, total USC move though. Think of the crossover. Can't wait to see thugs giving hugs. lulz

USC always has the biggest and best annual parties though. Freaknight use to be my favorite event every year
skinnyguy 10:24 PM - 6 October, 2010
.....and in other news, qbert spins electro...
DJ Michael Basic 1:07 AM - 7 October, 2010
The electro Qbert was talking about was the Cybertron - Clear type electro.
DiGiTALRiCE 2:52 PM - 7 October, 2010
who's qbert?
O.B.1 5:14 PM - 7 October, 2010
Since all of Lil' Jon's new tracks are of the up-tempo variety, compared to his older stuff.
I think he will fit right in, as well as bring in a more diverse crowd.
To answer your initial question, I would say it's a little of both.
I'm not really a huge fan of his new stuff, (the music is OK, but his voice gets annoying, and his lyrics aren't the most innovative)
D-Look 5:23 PM - 7 October, 2010
Lil Jon has hardly any appeal at all in the urban scene in Seattle. That hardcore Down South/crunk following that he harbored in the past is now on to Gucci Mane and Plies. I think it's a great move for USC, his appeal is to the uptempo format Top 40 scene, who will love "Shots" but not quite hipster enough to know a Steve Aoki remix. I hear he has rocks partys on the tables. I'll be in attendance, sounds fun.
DiGiTALRiCE 5:35 PM - 7 October, 2010
I saw lil jon at edc, he looked scary when he stopped the music , got on the mic and told everyone to"calm the fuck down" and that the people jumping the fences were "fucking up the party" something about seeing a black guy on the big led screen yell "calm the fuck down" scared us.
Eric N 5:36 PM - 7 October, 2010
Good points. Get Low, Saltshaker, etc etc. still work for me at most spots around here, though. LOL. But then, I am not really playing super-hood spots most of the time...
DJ'Que 5:43 PM - 7 October, 2010
Yeah good move. I djed a few of the usc partys the last one i did was with redman that fool is crazy he real down to earth, he kicked it with us all day. He dated my home girl, and moved her to ny.
Eric N 5:47 PM - 7 October, 2010
When did USC bring out Redman? I musta been asleep that year lol. You know we are talking about United States of Consciousness in Seattle, and not University of Southern California, right? :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:47 PM - 7 October, 2010
Quote:
(since I can't use the N word anymore here)"

Why would you want to?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:24 PM - 7 October, 2010
Quote:
Lil Jon has hardly any appeal at all in the urban scene in Seattle. That hardcore Down South/crunk following that he harbored in the past is now on to Gucci Mane and Plies. I think it's a great move for USC, his appeal is to the uptempo format Top 40 scene, who will love "Shots" but not quite hipster enough to know a Steve Aoki remix. I hear he has rocks partys on the tables. I'll be in attendance, sounds fun.

this is acutually right on point, i remeber when he 1st started doin LMFAO uptempo type joints i got excited because i thought it would make it acceptable for the mainstream and hood crowds...instead they just moved on and you really dont get the fan support you did with his old stuff now
Banana_Peter 10:46 PM - 7 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Why would you want to?

I get my point across with words
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:55 PM - 7 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why would you want to?

So you would need to use THAT particular word?
Banana_Peter 3:20 PM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why would you want to?

Yes because "real hood N'z" don't listen to rave.
It doesn't sound hard when I say "real hood mofos" don't listen to rave
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:43 PM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why would you want to?

Yes because "real hood N'z" don't listen to rave.
It doesn't sound hard when I say "real hood mofos" don't listen to rave

****Blank Stare****
DJSHARK 4:49 PM - 8 October, 2010
I just saw him at opera in Atlanta last week and I must say I was really expecting a better performance.The mixes were 8 bars or less, the music cutt out about 50 times and all he said was "put your fuckin hands up" about 100times.Now please dont take this as hate because Im a huge lil jon fan and he did rock the crowd.As a dj perspective the skill level could be compared to someone who had been dj'ing for about a year.
Eric N 4:52 PM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
I just saw him at opera in Atlanta last week and I must say I was really expecting a better performance.The mixes were 8 bars or less, the music cutt out about 50 times and all he said was "put your fuckin hands up" about 100times.Now please dont take this as hate because Im a huge lil jon fan and he did rock the crowd.As a dj perspective the skill level could be compared to someone who had been dj'ing for about a year.

That's exactly how Grandmaster Flash was... only he didn't even attempt to do 8 bars of mixing at any point during his set. He would play a verse or two, stop or backspin the record, get on the mic and do the hype thing, and baby scratch in another track. Rinse and repeat for 2 hours. It's sad that these cats get huge money to put on sub-par performances. :( But most of the crowd doesn't know the difference or care.
skinnyguy 10:02 PM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:

and apparently Crystal Method...my gf got a couple clips of him at Rain.
DJ Michael Basic 10:39 PM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

and apparently Crystal Method...my gf got a couple clips of him at Rain.

pretty sure the Crystal Method was played by Scotty Boy and Qbert scratched over it...i could be remembering wrong though. Qbert didn't really mix at all...he had an ipod hooked up with some music that he scratched over, then scotty boy came on and DJ'd to keep the crowd going while qbert scratched.
AN!M4T0R 12:35 AM - 9 October, 2010
Lil Jon joined Steve Aoki at last years EDC during his set. He sure can hype a crowd. A damn good MC
skinnyguy 12:37 PM - 9 October, 2010
ah. well, i guess i'll never know unless i was there.
DJSHARK 5:12 AM - 10 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

That's exactly how Grandmaster Flash was... only he didn't even attempt to do 8 bars of mixing at any point during his set. He would play a verse or two, stop or backspin the record, get on the mic and do the hype thing, and baby scratch in another track. Rinse and repeat for 2 hours. It's sad that these cats get huge money to put on sub-par performances. :( But most of the crowd doesn't know the difference or care.

Sad but true and I find its only real dj's that know and care.