Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Link matching songs

dj_phonetic 11:09 AM - 17 September, 2010
It would be great to have a feature which allows you to link songs to another song, so that when you select a song the predefined linked songs automatically show up in a eg split screen view of the file browser.
-> less searching
-> better library organization
-> more intuitive sets
-> less time with hands on keyboard
marcA 12:19 PM - 17 September, 2010
+1
kraal 1:02 PM - 17 September, 2010
sort of like the genius search in itunes?
dj_phonetic 1:23 PM - 17 September, 2010
Quite of, but you previously linked the tracks together. So you when you realize that eg track A and track B play well along with track C and you link these songs, everytime you select track C the browser automatically shows up track A & B. And if you select track A or B the browser automatically shows track C. I think (im not a programmer) this feature might not be very difficult to implement.. :)
marcA 1:33 PM - 17 September, 2010
the problem with these kind of constructions is how many levels deep you want to see... and you don't want cyclic links either...
dj_phonetic 1:40 PM - 17 September, 2010
...And if you select track A or B the browser automatically shows track C... Not deeper than this
The browser shouldnt make suggestions it should only show what you defined as linked or matching.
I often mix different genres and i have a large library.. So its hard for me to remember which songs fit well to others. Crates are to restrictive for me.
marcA 1:44 PM - 17 September, 2010
or sometimes you know a good song but can't remember the title and performer...
dj_phonetic 4:41 PM - 17 September, 2010
Yeah... F***
I'm shure this feature could help to avoid such stuations
kraal 5:09 PM - 17 September, 2010
i think this is a good idea.... maybe we should all start putting how it will benifit and how it will actually work in this thread and come up with a complete 'feature request'
dj_phonetic 5:33 PM - 17 September, 2010
Cool, let's work it out..
kraal 5:56 PM - 17 September, 2010
ok here is my thoughts :
the songs will be linked how? I mean right now with the color tab you can already link songs. But what we want is an extra window that opens so if i click on a song in a folder if i have 'show linked songs' selected in the setup menu. I will not lose the focus of the current crate but a will have a split screen like when the 'history' is open.

next how do you link songs?
could use color tab or maybe in offline mode you can just drag a song on top of a song to link it?
elsupermang 11:48 PM - 17 September, 2010
I think it would be an awesome feature, called Mixouts. When you scroll over a song a small window can show 4-5 songs you used to mixout the current song. I think this what Rapid Evolution was meant for but its so clunky to use another program plus the interface isn't great.
dj_phonetic 6:22 AM - 18 September, 2010
The prepare window would be cool to link the songs together. You simply select a song/s, drag it over another one and hold eg the alt key and the songs are linked together..
marcA 9:41 AM - 18 September, 2010
Quote:
next how do you link songs?

well maybe the first column of the crate has a clickable '+' sign or something like that which initiates the link track process... seems very doable
when linked a jump to linked track will be handy so you can link that track to another etc etc
so building a tree with branches and leafs :)
dj_phonetic 10:18 AM - 26 October, 2010
I think a crate where the matching songs for the playing track are shown would be cool. or a button in the prepare window which shows the linked songs
maestromind 4:19 PM - 26 October, 2010
This is a brilliant idea.
I like having the idea of having linked songs come up in a secondary list like History/Prepare.
My suggestion is to also have an "autolink" option where similar songs are picked automatically based on bpm and key (with maybe additional filters for genre, etc.)
thebeatworx 12:15 AM - 27 October, 2010
Write it down in comments ID3 tag. That way when you search a song, you can see what other songs you've mixed in with it in the comments.

...BTW... I get it... less typing etc.. etc... etc.. But c'mon... what's next... automix the linked songs?

Remember, it takes one programmer to write a few lines of code to put us out of a job...

...and before I get the backlash of, "well computers don't have soul / heart", I say this, how many DJs out there actually have soul or heart? How many of us are just going out and dropping DJ friendly edits in our sets back to back or just mixing the latest radio hits like a robot? (Like a G6 actually... lol)
kraal 12:31 AM - 27 October, 2010
Quote:
Write it down in comments ID3 tag. That way when you search a song, you can see what other songs you've mixed in with it in the comments.

)

with this feature you can use it as a set building aide. so i see it as something that isnt permanent always this song or that song
maestromind 1:46 AM - 27 October, 2010
Quote:

Remember, it takes one programmer to write a few lines of code to put us out of a job...

If that was the case we'd already all be out of a job. Last time I used VirtualDJ it had a pretty great automix feature and MixVibes can even do different beatmatched transitions based on BPMs if I recall correctly.

The fact is, a lot of people could put together a set and play it on autopilot, or with very limited skill on software they bought for $60. A lot of people can also change their own oil - but still pay $50 for the dealership to do it. The same is true for PJ "playlist jockeys".

We should welcome software that makes our lives easier (ITCH being a clear example) by taking care of the mundane tasks. Quite frankly if you're a full-time DJ, or even a serious amateur, then you should have learned enough skills to be better than a PJ with automix. If that's the case then this is a good thing - the guys with no talent will get less gigs since customers will be able to do what they do themselves. True talent will always get paid, however. You just gotta keep getting better and learning. This is true of any job.
kraal 1:56 AM - 27 October, 2010
i like how dj's are scared that computers will take their jobs --- if you are afraid of automix software you need to up your game
thebeatworx 4:42 AM - 27 October, 2010
I'm a big proponent on djing and turntablism as an artform... and more and more often I see the culture of djing deteriorating as Djs become more and more dependent on technology. I'm not afraid of losing my job as a DJ... but as a software developer I can see how making software and hardware more accessible and affordable to the public can eventually lead to some Djs losing their jobs.... plus it would be pretty lucrative... you don't think its happening? Well ask yourself how many more noobie Djs are out there now with the advent of controllers and mp3s... I'm sure you know how much money is made from the mobile scene... imagine if more and more people found out how easy it is to tprogram all radio hits into a mix for their house party for $50?so I completely agree.... work on your game because there are a lot more Djs out there now who are mixing for pennies... and even cheaper software solutions for you average listener / potenitial client.
kraal 4:57 AM - 27 October, 2010
this is the last i will say on this cause we are derailing the point of this post ( sorry for that) but i am one of those dj's that have got more jobs with my controller set up than i have with my turntables --- just like my art career all my art is done on computer ( with technology) i see no reason to not want the advancement of technology even if it allows someone else to get a job
DJ Cs 10:48 PM - 27 October, 2010
Quote:

...BTW... I get it... less typing etc.. etc... etc.. But c'mon... what's next... automix the linked songs?

...and before I get the backlash of, "well computers don't have soul / heart", I say this, how many DJs out there actually have soul or heart? How many of us are just going out and dropping DJ friendly edits in our sets back to back or just mixing the latest radio hits like a robot? (Like a G6 actually... lol)

When I first started reading this, I thought you could just have it linked in the comments field. It's a rarely used field by most DJ's other than to list abberations in a track for me.

It would work like this. Each song would have a maximum of three links (could be more).

Start out with track 1, then select track 2....Track 1 would have one link, (track 2).... track 2 would have three links (track 1 and track3, plus alternate if needed), Track three would have three links (Track 2 and track 4, plus an alternate if needed).
basic info could be entered into comments field, whether it be programmed to be song name, artists, etc OR the linking (for programming purposes) could be a file descriptor like...1025, or 3a01. This descriptor would be tagged to a song in comment section which can be looked up.

I'm sure this explanation doesn't make much sense, but the idea is a good one and can be implemented.
nik39 11:26 AM - 29 October, 2010
There is an ongoing discussion (for about 4 years?) about this feature in this thread:
www.serato.com <- click
kraal 11:43 AM - 29 October, 2010
Quote:
There is an ongoing discussion (for about 4 years?) about this feature in this thread:
www.serato.com <- click

so i guess it is very low priority or a flat out NOPE :)