ITCH General Discussion

Talk about Serato ITCH software and controllers.
If you require help for your ITCH system please create a help request.

Whats the best computer to run Itch?

Dj Steve Mixx 11:45 PM - 7 September, 2010
Hey fellaz I'm looking to buy a new computer for my NS7. Strictly for gigs. I want to know whats the best (mod can put in their 2 pennies also) I want a trouble free or at least minimal trouble the itch's present updates. 2 choices one under $500 and one between $500 & $1000
This is going to be a long term investment i'm talking at least 3 years of worry free mixxin'..... PC Or Mac doesn't matter.

I'm Running a Dell Inspiron with the minimal dual core 2 gb ram 100 gb HD it's doing good for now a few dropouts but I need stability.
T.I.A.

Steve Mixx
czar 12:48 AM - 8 September, 2010
if you are looking for a windows machine its quite simple.

first it must have a DEDICATED video card, (not *integrated or *shared video) *one of the top reasons why unknowing people think windows laptops are bad after they buy a laptop with integrated or shared video memory. (no mac has integrated graphics, windows does because those machines are still very good for basic tasks like browsing the web, email and studying, and they are cheaper. not good for stressing work like performing live. specially if you are thinking about future proofing your purchase)

this is an article from 2007 that insinuates 10GHZ processors in 10 years so by now we are a quater down, so we can expect around 6GHZ more in 7 years. However AMD has been pushing the market very hard in the last couple of years with very good Phenom processor that are taking Intel into working harder to compete so we can only speculate so much..

news.softpedia.com

if you buy an QUAD CORE with 3GHZ processor (ex. i7, or Phenom) it could be good (if you take CARE of it) for around 7 to 10 years.. depending on how fast technology moves forward and what applications can do and how much power they will need in 7 years but I am almost sure you can hit 7 to 8 years comfortably (having enough power to work with latests *deejay and video mixing apps*)

if 10GHZ processor come out in 5 years from now, (who knows) and deejays apps become so complex that they take 8GHZ to run (highly unlikely unless you want to mix a new form of videos in 100" 3D screens, yes I said 3D) then you can use your i7 as a paper weight or a media center pc (nothing goes to waste lol. but see you would have spent double the money now so in the end you can have less of what you payed for.. I hope Im making myself clear.. YOU ARE STILL COVERED FOR AROUND 5 YEARS

an i5 should be good for around 5 years also depending on what technology has for us and your particular needs. and it would be my choice at the moment TO MIX MUSIC only because of price vs performance comparisons. I Don't think it is necessary at all to spend on an i7 just to mix music.

If you plan on staying ahead of the game in the video department and future proof your self well an i7 is the choice.

I would really skip the i3. it is just not future proofed at all for our intended use.
czar 12:57 AM - 8 September, 2010
ALSO GHZ MATTER A LOT! MORE SO THAN CORES! ALWAYS REMEMBER THE HIGHER THE GHZ THE FASTER THE PROCESSING POWER. CORES ARE BASICALLY DESIGNED TO SPREAD THE LOAD/WORK.

if you get an i7 with 1.6 GHZ an i5 with 2.6ghz will pawn it at being quicker on its feet, but the i7 will win at highly threaded apps like complex architectural designes or CAD works with thousands of things to load in a single project, or an extremely complex work of sorts.

in short. cores better at handling large loads, GHZ's better at processing the large loads fast..
Dj Steve Mixx 1:25 AM - 8 September, 2010
So an i5 with at least 2.6 ghz is good for now.... what about in macs? for camparison
breakermixer 1:34 AM - 8 September, 2010
Steve, If you are looking for stability and zero problems and you have the money buy a Mac.
czar 3:02 AM - 8 September, 2010
a somewhat important question depending on your willingness to learn would be: do you use Windows and are you comfortable with it?

Mac is proprietary so apple will have a tight control of what computers ship to consumers with and because their reputation is on the line (they are the underdog) they will be careful to not spoil the fun from the moment you unbox the laptop. (Even thought they did spoil it this year specially with a whole bunch of freezing problems)

Microsoft doesn't make their own laptops so manufacturers ex. HP will put some of their own software supposedly to enhance the experience (yea right)

The price difference where Windows is better comes at the cost of user input to get rid of unnecessary things that manufacturers bundle with Windows. You will have to do things like a clean OS install, install drivers for different components (video, soundcard, etc), and some settings configuration as soon as you unbox.

Macbook Pro
15" i5 2.53ghz plus GT 330m,4GB ram 500GB HDD 5400RPM + 2 year extended warranty

for US$2350

ASUS N73JN-X1
17.3" i5 (2.40GHz) 335M, 4GB ram, 500GB HDD 7200rpm + 3 Year *Accidental Damage* warranty

for US$1270

I tried to be as objective as possible.

It is worth noting that many people use windows and are very happy and many use Mac and are also very happy too.
KLH 3:14 AM - 8 September, 2010
Get a fast used MBP and move on.

-KLH
czar 3:17 AM - 8 September, 2010
Quote:
Steve, If you are looking for stability and zero problems and you have the money buy a Mac.

I will have to disagree with the stability comment. Everyone who has payed attention to Windows 7 knows that stability is just as good as Snow Leopard. Besides if you also pay attention to what is happening in the Mac world you can see stability issues.

discussions.apple.com

discussions.apple.com

discussions.apple.com

The zero problems running Itch is also not true whether it be the software or hardware.

www.serato.com
(I could go on picking on threads where Macs are involved.)

I have had no problems with 1.7 running on Windows 7 except for an Itch bug that doesn't allow me to change time remaining to time elapsed if there is no Key set; this problem has been acknowledged by Serato and will be fixed for the next Itch update. Apparently only the windows version has this piece of code broken and it was on Serato's side.
czar 3:20 AM - 8 September, 2010
Quote:
Get a fast used MBP and move on.

-KLH

move on until you have issues?

dont blame me for trying to be objective. if the dude wants a mac fine. I love to write and chip in. thats what he asked for.. no?
czar 3:21 AM - 8 September, 2010
www.thekickback.com

lmbo

come on people keep smiling =]
KLH 3:23 AM - 8 September, 2010
^ I didn't see the three year investment part. I dunno what I'd recommend for three years of ITCH development. In three years, I'd expect video, a sampler, and hopefully TRUE integration with other apps. That's a LOT to ask for. If that's the case, I'd go for a higher-end i7.

Consider that three years ago, the Core2Duos were just coming out...

-KLH
czar 3:26 AM - 8 September, 2010
Macs use the same hardware and drivers that Windows use.

Drivers are ported to Mac OS or to Windows OS by the hardware manufacturers.
KLH 4:12 AM - 8 September, 2010
Use your own preference of OS, Dj Steve Mixx. I don't think that you'll be able to touch an i7 for less than $1k though.

-KLH
czar 4:40 AM - 8 September, 2010
I would skip the i7 for now becasue it might be a year perhaps before we see itch video development. besides i7's are either slow and with great video cards or fast and equipped with a video cards that dont match the power of the processor (ex. GT320,GT325,Quadro)

besides who knows what itch video will need. Im pretty sure an i5 2.4ghz will do..

this is from VDJ and they do video very well..

WINDOWS
RECOMENDED system requirements:

* Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ X2
* 1024x768 SVGA video
* Multi-channel DirectX compatible soundcard
* 1024MB RAM
* 30MB free on the hard drive

Additional requirements for Video mixing:

* 2048MB (2GB) RAM
* ATI™ or NVIDIA® video card w/256MB of Dedicated DDR3 RAM
* Video card must support dual-screen output

MAC
RECOMENDED system requirements:

* Intel® processor
* Latest Mac OS X version (currently v10.6.3)
* 1024x768 SVGA video
* Multi-channel CoreAudio compatible soundcard
* 2048MB (2Gb) RAM
* 200 MB free on the hard drive

Additional requirements for Video mixing:

* ATI™ or NVIDIA® video chipset w/256MB of Dedicated DDR3 RAM
* Video must support dual-screen output

for $1000 u could get a macbook 13" screen but who wants to use a 13" screen!

the cheapest macbook pro 2.4ghz, gt 330m runs into the $2000 with the 2 extended warranty..

u can get the same specs on an ASUS N73JN-X1, slightly better video card and 17" screen perfect for video mixing with 3 year accidental protection for $1270

if the 2.4ghz processor is not enough when itch video comes out then ur macbook pro will not be enough as well. heck you can buy something useful with those extra $700.

then again it comes down to personal preference.
Kmxorbit 12:13 PM - 8 September, 2010
I use both PC and MAC for Itch, and with the knowledge and experience I have at this moment, I would go for a Mac. Mac does not need extra progs to keep it safe from virusses, or other threats... (cause there are no known threats atm.)
so you can run Itch pretty much clean on Mac. (less processes going on in the memory/processor)
I also experience less maintenance (defragging, updating etc...) on Mac then on PC.
I also notice a longer lifespan on MAC. also new progs do not require the latest macs.
And last but not least, the batteries on MAC are way more powerfull then on PC. I can run Itch on my MAC for 5 hours without powercord...

But hey, it does not mean you can't run Itch on a PC properly. As czar says, there is a price handicap for mac compared with PC's. If you feel comfortable with windows, and you don't mind PC maintenance, you can do a great deal by choosing a (correct) laptop for Itch.
djcerla 12:18 PM - 8 September, 2010
ITCH=Mac.
marcA 12:47 PM - 8 September, 2010
Quote:
ITCH=Mac.

although i'm eager to state that this is probably true, i must say that i have no issues on my dell W7 x64 machine...
i have a MBP also (2.4 core 2) and on that machine i have hickups (this is as i read here a MBP problem rather than an itch one)
so for me the experience is better on a windows machine
that said, i know my way around windows and i don't know osx at all, so maybe i'll need to find out how to load specific osx patches

bottom line, if you go for a decent machine (mbp's are real decent machines) you'll probably wont have problems...
breakermixer 2:21 PM - 8 September, 2010
Quote:
i have a MBP also (2.4 core 2) and on that machine i have hickups (this is as i read here a MBP problem rather than an itch one)

I just downgraded from Snow Leopard 10.6.4 to 10.6 and the hickups disappeared, but need more testing.
czar 3:29 PM - 8 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I just downgraded from Snow Leopard 10.6.4 to 10.6 and the hickups disappeared, but need more testing.

so tell me where's your statement to Steve that:

Quote:

come on man!
breakermixer 4:00 PM - 8 September, 2010
This problem is only a small error in the Snow Leopard 10.6.4 update. Nothing of significance and will surely be resolved shortly.
czar 4:07 PM - 8 September, 2010
ha an excuse for everything. u said, "stability and zero problems"

dont worry I understand that after spending a couple of thousand dollars it's hard to say that the purchase was not worth it.

it is not a "small" problem breakermixer so at least have decency.

some people have even downgraded and havent gotten improvements. I think it has to do with your EFI update. But why am I helping you? oh yes.. Im not bias.

Quote:
This problem is only a small error in the Snow Leopard 10.6.4 update. Nothing of significance and will surely be resolved shortly.

so tell me what is of significance. dont take me for a fool you are not the only one having problems with your mac.

explain to me what are the "big" problems you see in windows?
zaguama 5:20 PM - 8 September, 2010
i got to agree with czar, i own a MBP as well and was having bunch of issues with 10.6.4 so this is a "BIG DEAL" since the majority of people that own a mac is for AUDIO or VIDEO performance. I say this is the equivalent when a Service Pack is released in Windows and its a flood of issues that come along with it. I started reading some forums and there are several applications that started having strange behavior with 10.6.4 so very dissapointing specially to someone like me that just switched to MAC a month ago expecting the holy grail lol.
Dj Steve Mixx 6:47 PM - 8 September, 2010
WOW what great responses... The PC V Mac debate wages on...
As fas as OS i'm used to windows and right now that seems to be more stable with the latest itch update. That's why I'm leaning towards pc. I don't do vids and don't think I will in the near future, so as far as the i5, will that give me enough room for future updates and handle my needs? Another ? does getting near full capacity on the HD affect the performance of the machine greatly?
Thanks Peeps Y'all are very helpful ....
Czar you really go in on this stuff Huh.... hehe very indept. Peace
marcA 6:12 AM - 9 September, 2010
[quoteI just downgraded from Snow Leopard 10.6.4 to 10.6 and the hickups disappeared, but need more testing.
hi breaker, teach me, where do i find the version number in OSX?
breakermixer 6:23 AM - 9 September, 2010
Press the Apple logo in the menu and select "About this Mac".
czar 8:15 AM - 9 September, 2010
graphics card is behind the gt 330m by half but it is great for the money and still very audio able. not good for video mixing. US$699 Gateway NV59C57U

www.newegg.com

better than gt330m but the video chip heats a little more might suffer under hot and humid environment conditions. if your environments are well ventilated and cool. this is great for music and video. 17" US$775 Acer Aspire AS7741G-3647

www.newegg.com

this one has a better video card than the latest macbook pro from apple but a 14". good for overall environment conditions. great for music and video at US$920 ASUS K42 Series K42JV-X1

www.newegg.com

this one is the same version of the one above but 17" and faster hard drive US$999 ASUS N73JN-X1

www.newegg.com

one of the best laptops money can buy with a video chip around %66 better than the gt330m and a sata2 HDD, but it comes in at a hefty US$1775 (the price is good for the quality of the product, but why spend this much when in 6 months we will probably see the same configuration in the market for US$1100 or $1200 if not less..) unless u have a residency inside a sauna and really need this machine, buying it would be an extreme waste.

Alienware M15x Customized

img121.imageshack.us

*hard drive speed is not a "LARGE" factor so if I were you I would test the comp and if not happy spend like US$60 on a 7200 rpm disk later one and replace the one in the comp.

* ALL computers suffer under heat, no matter brand. the slimmer the form factor the more the computer is likely to suffer, good ventilation is also important so larger form factors tend to have better ventilation holes on the chassis.

*AMD products tend to warm up more than INTEL and NVIDIA products because of higher clocks and higher electricity usage. (Exceptions apply)

`It took me 2 days and 4 trips to the computer to write all this. you better appreciate it! ROLF! Im kidding its ok I spend a lot of time on my computer anyways. part of what I do..

Im also too lazy to check which one but im pretty sure one of the comps I mentioned comes with an USB3 port. further future proofing the machine www.everythingusb.com.

have fun!
czar 8:36 AM - 9 September, 2010
marcA 2:34 PM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:

well it seems i'm running 10.5.8
and i have dropouts...
what should i look for?
breakermixer 2:53 PM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:

Quote:
and i have dropouts...
what should i look for?

Well. Then no more testing :(
czar 3:30 PM - 9 September, 2010
marca are u using 1.7 or 1.5?

serato.com
marcA 3:53 PM - 9 September, 2010
1.7 of course :)
but on mac i didn't have this with 1.5 and neither with beta 2
the MBP has a 2.2 core 2 duo (i think i mentioned 2.4 previously)
and i do have to emphase that i have no knowledge of the platform itself, i'll try to install a previous version to confirm the sound drops

on windows i don't have a problem ...
czar 4:09 PM - 9 September, 2010
perhaps the problems will fade once u install 1.5?
Kmxorbit 5:02 PM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

and i have dropouts...
what should i look for?

I had a drop out too last weekend (seriuos one) on 10.5.8.
Don't have it in 1.5.
luckee_d 12:27 AM - 10 September, 2010
Get Window 7, stable as can be and not as many problem with ITCH.
MusicDan 1:52 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
www.thekickback.com

lmbo

Yo, what the F**k was that? Are you serious? You just lost all of the respect I had for you. Stop being such a dick. And don't come sending me a private message either, i didn't respond last time and I sure as hell ain't gonna do it now. IDIOT!!!
BadBoyChubs 2:13 AM - 10 September, 2010
i install 1.7 on a windows 7 and when i hook up an external, itch 1.7 crashes. never happened with 1.5
luckee_d 4:14 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
www.thekickback.com

lmbo

czar
czar
@czar, You NEED to quick spreading viruses on a trusted forum. You F*#$ing D@#K.
Send your viruses Somewhere else. You are a low down piece of crap and I curse you and your DJ skills. Cheap shit!

You need to be booted of the forum.

To all. DO NOT OPEN THE LINK ABOVE!!!
czar 5:11 AM - 10 September, 2010
woahh chill out!!!!!!!!!!!! what the heck it was a rick roll video hmmm if it has a virus please a MOD needs to delete the link! what the heck.
czar 5:18 AM - 10 September, 2010
wow yea it was definitely not doing that. it was just a video without all the messed up stuff. Im sorry guys. I dont think its a virus though but use spybot and windows defender just to be sure. I promise it wasnt doing that when I first saw and posted it. btw I did click on it right now and saw what u mean and its annoying, but not a virus. after closing the browser page everything is ok.. checking with spybot now. it looks like its annoying though. sorry guys no harm done. I was just posting the rick rolled video and it wasnt doing the whole jumping around the screen stuff. and dont u ever EVER call me a dick and insult me again. I dont do stuff like that on purpose.
czar 5:19 AM - 10 September, 2010
luckee be careful waht u wish on others often comes back to you.

musicdan are u sure im the "STUPID" one? hmmm...
czar 5:22 AM - 10 September, 2010
please MOD can you delete that link? thanks. and put a cap on these peoples mouth. its very disgusting.
luckee_d 5:30 AM - 10 September, 2010
Hey if that was unintentional than I apologize for my words to you, just my Italian blood was boiling. Still got some Jersey in me, ya know? Kaspersky said it is a verified virus and I got upset that someone would put that in a computer debate forum possibly to prove a point. I don't know, my bad dude. Hopefully you aren't infected. Again sorry for cursing you out man.
MusicDan 5:35 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
please MOD can you delete that link? thanks. and put a cap on these peoples mouth. its very disgusting.

He he he

That's funny coming from you.

As far as you not knowing, I believe you and I apologize for my rant. I am sure you can understand my reaction.
czar 5:59 AM - 10 September, 2010
musicdan

what do u mean funny coming from me?

you have never seen me insult anyone personally like this without reason and never will.

I do get very intense sometimes but never call someone a F$%#NG anything. an "IDIOT" or "cheap SH8&" that is just plain wrong. giving the benefit of the doubt is a beautiful thing.

it sucks that a well intentioned action can turn bad so easily and im sure it could happen to anyone. Im glad you do understand and apologize. thank you. =]
luckee_d 6:54 AM - 10 September, 2010
Sorry again czar :)
breakermixer 10:52 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
you have never seen me insult anyone personally like this without reason and never will.

That's not true. Since you're on this forum you have been disrespectful to many users and several times we had to inform the Serato mods. This is not a secret. You always do the same. Annoying people and then you apologize to them.

I only entered this forum to find out the news and if I can help someone, but I try not to waste too much time because most of my time is used to train with my NS7 because training is the basis of DJing, and this is a forum on DJing.

If you want to spend your time writing the Windows bible is your problem, but my advice is that if you really like the DJing stop writing endless post and dedicate yourself to train as me.

You Rick Astley link is a bad joke might have to close my browser and it is not fun :(
czar 12:10 PM - 10 September, 2010
dont tell me how to spend my time.

and no I have never used words like F&@( or SH@# to refer to someone.
Dj Steve Mixx 2:20 AM - 11 September, 2010
Ok fellaz... Czar made a mistake... all is forgiven. lets move on... I think i'm going with the pc i5. Thanks for all input. I'm looking at different brands. And as for computers Mac V. PC the whole thing comes down to personal preference as KLH said earlier in the thread. There will always be haters on both side but the bottom line is if it works for you?..... Do Your thing Brudda.
Keep the music spinnin'

Peace To All
Steve
Dj Steve Mixx 2:25 AM - 11 September, 2010
^^^^ you got to admit that Rick Roll Vid Thing is funny as Hell..... Except for the Virus of course..... The bartender kills it.... bouncing off the fence like a "pitch back".... Off the chain funny...
MusicDan 11:24 PM - 11 September, 2010
Quote:

and no I have never used words like F&@( or SH@# to refer to someone.

czar, you don't have to use words like F&@( or SH@# whem reffering to someone to belittle them, and you should very well know what I am talking about.

Quote:
musicdan

what do u mean funny coming from me?

This is the biggest lie here!!!
czar 12:13 AM - 12 September, 2010
wait actually I did have a mod write me a pm once lol but so long ago. i did apologize and it was noob of me. sry about that.

ouch I been doing so well lately that I had forgotten! thanks for reminding me grrrrrrr

but yea lets move on lol and yes I did once say something too. bah! =/
dj56_56 3:05 AM - 12 September, 2010
Dude, get the computer that better then a Mac..... a Dell XPS M1530 .. It's meant for gamers and the mean a good video card, processor. ram, etc.. Who with a Mac can really contest a XPS... who!!!! Dude, you find use one under a $1000.00
Also it has good process management.
Kmxorbit 6:44 AM - 12 September, 2010
Can we just go 'on topic' again and just answer the question of DJ Steve Mix?
Some people seem to forget it's about helping people here with their questions...

@ DJ steve mix: I use both OS systems
My conclusion Win OS vs Mac OSx:
Mac OSx:
-less maintenance
-less progs in background
-great integration with iTunes
-Itch will work on every recent mac
-expensive

Win OS:
-less expensive for sure
-need more processes in the background (like virus scanners , spam blockers, and others etc.)
-some hardware configs are better then others (in the past AMD processors were less recommended <= i don't know how it is now)
-might need tweaks on some machines (because of hardware config)
-iTunes integration sucks on Win OS

Conclusion: If you do good research about wintel machines you can buy a great config for far less money. If you like more the "it should work out of the box - feeling" and "set and forget - feeling", go mac. But it has a price...
czar 10:17 AM - 12 September, 2010
the processes in the background can all the shut off for ever by typing "msconfig" on the windows box and going to "startup" tab and disabling everything. presto!

u dont need antivirus running unless u want to visit untrusted sites like porn. spam blockers are built into the internet browser such as chrome or firefox are best. I dont know what others and etc mean. only have spybot (free) and resource friendly installed in system but also disabled in the "startup" tab so it doesnt run in the background. then run it once every 3 or 4 months to get rid of anything u might have cough from browsing untrusted sites (if any)

hardware configuration related to the software u use. say itch MODS have reported that a higher number of people using Athlon have reported problems than people using intel core 2 or other processors while traktor and vdj support the Atthlon without problems.

the tweaks that u might need to do in windows are disabling wireless lan, while you DJ, having a clean OS install with a MS original CD to rid of bloatware that comes shipped with from other manufacturer, (ex. HP), set system resources to be concentrated on "background services" from control panel, and typing "msconfig" on the windows box and going to "startup" tab and disabling everything to rid of processes running in the background for good. a lot? u tell me.
robc 2:00 PM - 12 September, 2010
It certainly seems that Itch runs better on a Windows machine

Itch 1.7 at least needs some work on osx
Kmxorbit 3:36 PM - 12 September, 2010
Windows is not new to me since I use it as from the early 90's. And I'll never state it is a bad, or a lesser OS compared with OSX. But, You describe exactly already a lot of stuff you need to do, or take care off for good performance.
There is also a need for file maintenance (defrag, and check if your HD doesn't pile up with temp files.) Windows is also known for a lot of background tasks to check all sorts of stuff (which are for some people not always necessary...)

On an a mac, you have to do none of this...

So, my point is: You can have good windows machines for Itch as long as you know what you're doing, but not everyone is a PC wizkid... For those people, a Mac is the better option... I can testify, I use both...

Another story: 1 of my best friends and DJ (also Itch user) has given away his (superiour) Dell machine and traded it for a MBP, because he wasn't busy with it. He only used it for DJ purposes and didn't use it for internet at all. But after a few days, he got messages like: "your Virusdefs are out of date", your machine is vulnerable for this and that,... It was just scary for him. And then It is dramatic to see how a Win machine behaves if you put it back online after you didn't connect to internet within the week. If you wait a month, you must wait half a day for your windows machine to update and it has to restart a few times. <= This is what I mean with maintenance on a Windows machine.

You don't have to do this sort of stuff on OSx. Leave it 2 months and it works after 30 secs of start up, and you're Dj'ing. So, For him, this was the best solution.

Anyway, I agree on 1.7 remark for OSx, I'm not fully satisfied about the performance on 1.7 on Osx. But I'm convinced this is just a temporary issue. (like the itch 64bit drivers were for Windows)
czar 4:34 PM - 12 September, 2010
u dont have to disable wireless lan? hmm interesting... u dotn have to but its best.

Mac = porn

"your Virusdefs are out of date", your machine is vulnerable for this and that,... It was just scary for him. And then It is dramatic to see how a Win machine behaves if you put it back online after you didn't connect to internet within the week. If you wait a month, you must wait half a day for your windows machine to update and it has to restart a few times. <= This is what I mean with maintenance on a Windows machine."

ah u said it SCARY hahaha

how drastic does windows behave? u talk like I didnt use windows!

half a day after a month of not using. again shows u know little about the OS therefor u can't use it. again ur fault not the OS.
czar 4:38 PM - 12 September, 2010
do me a favor run a spyware checker on ur mac and report back. ;D
breakermixer 8:26 PM - 12 September, 2010
Quote:
Mac = porn

Of course. Windows users don´t visit porn sites.
Kmxorbit 9:44 PM - 12 September, 2010
Quote:
u dont have to disable wireless lan? hmm interesting... u dotn have to but its best.

Nope on mac i don't...

Quote:
how drastic does windows behave? u talk like I didnt use windows!
half a day after a month of not using. again shows u know little about the OS therefor u can't use it. again ur fault not the OS.

You twist my words... I don't like that.
I was talking about my best friends experience, as he's not into PC use like I am.
For those people a mac is really the answer...

Anyway, it seems useless to discuss pro's and contra's with you, as you probably never used a mac before.
I said what I would like to say out of my own experience in order to help DJ steve Mix. And helping people that's were it's all about for me on this forum...
czar 6:20 AM - 13 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Mac = porn

Of course. Windows users don´t visit porn sites.

it means that its less likely to get as much spyware on mac so it could be understandable if u buy a mac because of this. in other words I am convinced that many people who have poor internet habits (porn) use windows computers and get them loaded with spyware and then once they start to use mac and do the same they see the "benefits". still spyware is there, but instead of blaming the OS becase it lasted longer without spyware they just take it to the apple shop, pay and get it fixed. happy that it took longer to mess the mac than the windows machine.. and then they get bias about which one is "better" not understanding that their usage is the one giving them problems not the actual operating systems.

I know this dude his mac is so slow and he blamed the computer itself (the hardware) because it was already "old" 2007 model... I know that it will work just fine with a clean OS install but he didnt. I dont even know what he did with the mac, I haven't seen him since then.. probably bought a new one.. theres also the thought out there that if a mac fails it must be "critical, and expensive" because some think macs are almost perfect so why even investigate what the problem could be,,,

if i seem him and he still has it im gonna offer him 200 dollars.
czar 6:29 AM - 13 September, 2010
Kmxorbit

I misread dramatic for drastic.. sorry bout that

"And then It is dramatic to see how a Win machine behaves if you put it back online after you didn't connect to internet within the week. If you wait a month, you must wait half a day for your windows machine to update and it has to restart a few times."

here u say "it is" meaning you are asserting the "fact". you didnt say " he say it was dramatic for him" you said "it is"

so what is dramatic? I dont get it. u just pop in the cable to the Ethernet hole and thats it open the web browser and use it.

also a half a day to update? did he said that it took "him" a half a day? or are u saying "it" takes a half a day?

im not trying to twist ur words really, it sounds like it is u asserting those things..

u can go a full year without updates on windows and it wont take a half a day. that is just ridiculous, unless u r using a 56k modem. which is no shame but unfair to criticize an OS based on how fast an internet connection is..
south kac 10:07 AM - 16 September, 2010
tha 1.7 is bad for mac and pc its tha itch program
Dj Steve Mixx 1:34 AM - 1 January, 2011
Hey fellaz.... Just puchased a Gateway with core i3 and 4gb ram.... 320hd

is there any problems running itch with this one?
Papa Midnight 12:46 PM - 1 January, 2011
Quote:

Without knowing the exact specs, but knowing the general range of Core i3 processor clock speeds, I can say that you meet the recommended requirements and that's it. To many environmental variables for me to say much more than that.
Dj Steve Mixx 6:50 PM - 1 January, 2011
Ok
Model - Gatway NV55C31u
Os- WSindows 7 Premiun 64 bit
Processor - intel core i3-370M processor
Graphics - Intel HD
Memory - 4gb DDR3
Storage - 320 GB

Is There Anymore info needed ?
Thanks My Brudda
Papa Midnight 10:42 PM - 1 January, 2011
Yeah, that's pretty much is indicative that you meet the necessary recommended requirements. What I meant by Environmental Variables is stuff installed on your computer, background processes, running services, etc.. Pretty much the minute, but numerable differences between everyone's installs.

I think you'll be alright, though.
klozher 4:48 AM - 19 September, 2011
I have not been hunting for red October but i have been seeking out a replacement for my dj computer. MAC power book G4 until I dropped it and now the screen does not work. I Used wifeys MBP but she doesnt like that idea to continue since there allways drinks close by. I was using my work DELL Latitude D620 and i was actually suprissed on the performance. It worked flawless and that was an early Intel core duo t5500 @ 1.66ghz with .99g ram. the graphics ran crapy but they also did on the G4. I have since baught the following within 8 days. Lenovo G560 15.6" that ireturned because when i inserted the PCI - PCMCIA adaoter the machine froze - stopped completely - returned. Lenovo Z560 - same thing the pc crashed when the card was inserted and the 10 key the "0" button is a single space. I loaded ITCH and the graphics performance was the same as my G4 and the lenovo was a I5. I bought a Fujitso AH31 i5 and all was good with express card and Itch from what i remember but i needed a bigger screen. I bought the sony vaio VPCEJ14FX/B . An expensive i3 all things considered no BT 4 usb 2.0 ports vga mdmi. Apple does spoil with all the I/O's. I loaded Itch and allwa sfinei was happy mixin it up and then it happened. The audio just started dropping out and random. I plugged in the VFX1 and shit got worse. the songs were slowing down. I disconnected the VFX1 and no change. the entie stereo output sounded as if it were going throughth e BIT CRUSHER effect. it went away afetr 3 minutes. It happened again a day later. Thasts a show stopper. How can a newer machine even have this flaw? I read the Serato recomendations for performance but why would a new machine have USB driver issues. I followwd the background priority switch and i though all was good and it happened again. Returned to FRY's and I bought another Sony now an i7 (good deal @$799.99 with a firewrie 400 mini port and 2 USB 3.0 and BT and a backlit keyboard and a nice size 10 kay with outset arrows & 500MB video card, oprical audio) I am loading itch now and have already set up the Performace options for the machine but with the i7 this is nuts. i wonder why i am doing this but the 17" mac is 2500 so there must be another option and I hope this works. The Sony is clean just on the big side. If anyone cares I will update the outcome here again. I am loading Itch 1.71 not the 2.0 yet. the basic are good for me. Oh yeah i have already updated the firmware on the VCI300 mk2 and still issues with prior machines. Does the MFG (Sony, Lenovo, toshiba etc) make there own USB drivers devices ? Better yet does anyone have a PC based set up that work flawlessly. My G4 maxxed out running the program but never dropped sound and neither did the Dell but I can not rely on the work PC to run the night gigs. any one recomend a setup?
klozher 12:55 AM - 1 October, 2011
SNAPS. STAY THE F AWAY FROM SONY VAIO. Both Laptops dropped the Audio signal. I have since bought an HP DV7 17.3" i5 2.53 ghz quad core boost to 2.8 ghz w 8 gig ram. It works. Itch runs at 8 - 10% CPU load and 25% RAM load - Laptop with extended Ram costs $640. The laptop has a cheasy speaker system Beats Audio but I must admit it sounds better than all other Laptops combined. Has a subwoofer (?) well it sounds like a decent clock radio as opposed to that thin tin sound of a laptop. OK for Bedroom playlist assembly. It should be easy to stay away from SONY laptops since they are over priced and dont give you alot for the $
EgoFlux 5:03 AM - 1 October, 2011
I have always been a Windows PC user. I understand the value and quality of a Mac, but have just never been able to afford Apple products of any sort. I use a Dell Inspiron 1764 i3 (simple dual core 2.2gig, 4GB RAM, 17.3'' screen) and it works flawlessly. I picked it up at a PC outlet store for about $680 refurbed and it runs like a dream. No audio dropouts, and it has no problem keeping up with the many tasks I find myself doing all at once. It even runs Ableton and Itch at the same time with no noticeable slowdown. So if you're more budget minded and can't afford a Mac don't hesitate to look into Windows PC at all. Most people look down on it for music purposes but it has never failed me.
EgoFlux 5:04 AM - 1 October, 2011
Quote:

I run a core i3 with 4gb ram and have no issues whatsoever. I have a Dell but I don't see the manufacturer being a major factor unless it's a cheap after market company which I don't believe Gateway is.
Dj Steve Mixx 7:55 PM - 6 October, 2011
had to tweek the system a little but this thing is runnin' pretty dope....
klozher 5:42 PM - 15 October, 2011
?to all. is there a set up where the wave graphics run smoothly? i have run itch on 12 machines and all the grapics stutter.
p25ct 1:17 AM - 28 February, 2013
Here's the machine thats the best suited for mission critical tasks like a live gig or show:

Panasonic Toughbook CF-30 MK2 with touchscreen and lighted keyboard, solid state drive, 4gb ram, windows 7, and core 2 duo processor.

These machines are used by public safety 24 hours a day 7 days a week. They dont require active fan cooling, they are unbelievably stable, have 1000nit ultra bright touchscreen displays, and are nearly indestructible. On board 3g cards available and other unique options make this an outstanding choice for a windows based machine.

Combine this with an oem vehicular docking station for external connection to all peripheral devices (computer actually locks with a key in the dock and all your serato usb and connwctions are connected to the dock so all you have to do is release the computer and walk away. Wires stay connecred for easy setup and breakdown) and heavy duty mounting hardware for your dj console makes for a professional and reliable first class setup. Literally bulletproof!

Do some research and you will be impressed. This machine stays cool without fans and runs 24 hrs a day without short or long term negative effects.

Take the time look into it and you will understand why im posting this..

Another alternative: Motorola MW800 perm mount computer.. same type build.
phatbob 1:44 AM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Here's the machine thats the best suited for mission critical tasks like a live gig or show:

Panasonic Toughbook CF-30 MK2 with touchscreen and lighted keyboard, solid state drive, 4gb ram, windows 7, and core 2 duo processor.

Wow. A C2Duo chip at less than 2ghz. 4gb ram maximum, and ancient Intel graphics. Woohoo!

Of course, if you actuall mean to be suggesting the current models, then equivalent specs to a 13" MacBook Pro costs around FOUR times the price.

So you could buy two MBPs for half the money, carry the second one as a backup, and the two combined would still weigh less than one Toughbook.

Sounds like a great choice.
pdidy 6:11 PM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Wow. A C2Duo chip at less than 2ghz. 4gb ram maximum, and ancient Intel graphics. Woohoo!

Of course, if you actuall mean to be suggesting the current models, then equivalent specs to a 13" MacBook Pro costs around FOUR times the price.

So you could buy two MBPs for half the money, carry the second one as a backup, and the two combined would still weigh less than one Toughbook.

Sounds like a great choice.
i refuse to believe dude is serious, he must be joking.....lol