Scratch Live Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Scratch Live?

Bold BPM and Auto Sync

djslimdog 6:00 AM - 2 August, 2010
Would like to see the BPM's bolded on the decks so it is easier to see when your adjusting the pitches. Also would like to see an autosync since I get some drifting when my tracks are beat matched. Thanks.
AKIEM 8:42 AM - 2 August, 2010
-you have to keep adjusting the speed with your fingers as you mix
-use your ears instead of looking at the screen
djslimdog 6:50 PM - 2 August, 2010
That's what I do, but it would be nice if Serato could do it for you. You know what I mean? Free your hands up to do more such as effects or use Ableton with the Bridge.
AKIEM 8:49 PM - 2 August, 2010
it would be nice if Serato would DJ for you?
Jesus Christ 9:41 PM - 2 August, 2010
Quote:
Would like to see the BPM's bolded on the decks so it is easier to see when your adjusting the pitches. Also would like to see an autosync since I get some drifting when my tracks are beat matched. Thanks.

onfinite.com

and it begins.
djslimdog 1:19 AM - 3 August, 2010
Wow akiem- yes it would. thanks for your great input.

Jesus Christ- you're right- here it goes. I love how anytime someone suggests a feature that Itch and other programs have- they get attacked. Nothing more to say since this is how it's going to be. Unless we have to challege akiem to a DJ battle to prove we can beat match.
marz21 1:58 AM - 3 August, 2010
the lack of auto sync is what separates serato from "the other guys." With auto sync ON, it takes away the entire skill and essentially turns it into a playlist program...

And its not ANYTIME someone comes up with a suggestion, it's just THIS suggestion... It's just the one suggestion that most of the people who went with serato over traktor or torq or whatever wants to LEAVE OFF of future releases because it essentially compromises the art form of being able to match beats AND pick tracks AND scratch. Quick loops... FINE, Skipless scratching on REL mode... FINE, but you take out the need to essentially match beats and let the computer do it for you, and you've knocked the mountain that best of the best DJ's stand on and it waters down the product on the whole...
AKIEM 2:15 AM - 3 August, 2010
Quote:

Jesus Christ- you're right- here it goes. I love how anytime someone suggests a feature that Itch and other programs have- they get attacked. Nothing more to say since this is how it's going to be. Unless we have to challege akiem to a DJ battle to prove we can beat match.

I dont care if you can beatmatch, scratch or DJ better than me. And I dont care how you DJ, press buttons or not.

let me rephrase for you:
it would be nice if Serato would DJ(in the classic sense) for you?

SSL is like a Ferrari, meant to be driven, steering wheel, shifting gears, all that shit. Get you a token and hop a ride on the train - you will have plenty of time to play with your iphone, read a book, kiss your girl(or)guyfriend.....

SSL was built to emulate VINYL - why not use the softwares that already do and were built to do what you are asking for - ITCH, Ableton, Traktor etc......

not that this ground hasnt been covered plenty
Jesus Christ 5:16 AM - 3 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I dont care if you can beatmatch, scratch or DJ better than me. And I dont care how you DJ, press buttons or not.

let me rephrase for you:
it would be nice if Serato would DJ(in the classic sense) for you?

SSL is like a Ferrari, meant to be driven, steering wheel, shifting gears, all that shit. Get you a token and hop a ride on the train - you will have plenty of time to play with your iphone, read a book, kiss your girl(or)guyfriend.....

SSL was built to emulate VINYL - why not use the softwares that already do and were built to do what you are asking for - ITCH, Ableton, Traktor etc......

not that this ground hasnt been covered plenty

Fucking AMEN!!!
dizzyrocks2001 1:28 PM - 3 August, 2010
Here's my two cents worth... I've been spinning for about 25 years so obviously I started out on vinyl. For the last couple of years I've been using Virtual DJ. Using VDJ made me lazy because it's features are geared towards the software mixing for you with a heavy emphasis on sync features, overlapping waveforms and the beat grid. I recently switched over to ITCH because I bought a pair of Numark V7's and VDJ works like crap with the V7's. Long story short, I like that ITCH forces you to mix by ear more than VDJ. I still use the sync feature in ITCH but only to quickly get my two tracks at the same approximate BPM when I want to do super-quick mixes, and then I adjust on-the-fly from there. What I like is that now I actually have to "DJ" and I'm not staring into the screen like a zombie.

If you use the sync feature with Serato there is still going to be a little bit of drift... which is a good thing, it will teach you to rely more on your ears and "feel" the music rather than mixing mathematically like a robot.

BTW, despite what the fanboys over at the VDJ forum say, ITCH is awesome! When I criticized VDJ for not working with the V7's (like they claimed they would before I bought the units) I was dragged over hot coals and ganged up on. And I never even said VDJ sucked, I just pointed out that it doesn't work with the V7's.
Evon 1:45 PM - 3 August, 2010
I like to beatmatch 2 decs. But would be nice to be able to autosynch 3 and 4 th deck to Deck A or B. Think its too risky to play more than 3 decs using turntables. Scratch Djs probably don't mind but think many EDM Dj's would think this is handy. Controlling 4 decs just takes too much time. If you mixing 4 decs selecting right beats, acapellas, loops takes more than enough time as is.
This is probably also one of reason why djs in Europe use traktor and American djs uses Serato. EDM music is much bigger here.

It would be nice to be able to use Serto the same way Richie Hawtin is using Traktor in this case.

Watchwww.youtube.com

When the bridge is out this won't be any issue anymore (I hope) But would be nice to synch deck C and D to either A or B. Also be able to synch Sampleplayer to one of the decks.
AKIEM 5:56 PM - 3 August, 2010
how about five decks, or six decks, or twenty decks?????

use Ableton, use Traktor, use ITCH, use etc. etc. etc.
brkdncr 1:01 AM - 9 August, 2010
Many top DJ/producers are using other software because they aren't just the DJ, they are the source of music.

For instance, let's say there's a track that has a good 64 beats that you want to remix live while it's mixing into another track. With other software (traktor) you align the beat grid then let the songs keep in sync, while you start a loop, the pump either effects or new sounds in.

With serato, I'm asking myself "why am i still trying to keep the beats matched? i'd rather be manipulating the existing tracks.

Now don't get me wrong, i love pushing vinyl around, but in order to do what I want I went and purchased traktor (not tracktor scratch, which costs more to allow timecoded control)

I'll still use serato for pure DJ sets. The interface is easy, the software works great. But for more involved "live" sets I'll need to use traktor and not even use timecode control, relying only beat grids.

Besides, it's not like setting up beatgrids is simple. The software usually doesn't know which beat is the correct downbeat when there's lots going on. I have come across a lot of my tracks that require beat grid finesse to get them mixing right in Traktor.

The people that are saying "Keep serato pure!" is an odd mantra to stand behind. You should be saying "Keep my options open!" This is similar to the argument that CDJ's should only have "vinyl" mode, which is ridiculous. Each artist has a different sound, uses their equipment/instruments differently, and should have as many options available to express their work. Failure to do that is either laziness or ignorance.
AKIEM 1:32 AM - 9 August, 2010
you are missing the point.

Ask yourself what Scratch Live was built to do.
Now ask yourself - is what you want fundamentally different?
Now ask yourself - if Serato built an entirely different platform better suited for what you are asking. And ask yourself did they team up with arguably the best software out that does all the things you are asking for and bond them together with a bridge?

you can build a truck on a Corvette chassi, but why not just get the truck built on the truck chassi (especially from the same company in the first place)???
AKIEM 1:34 AM - 9 August, 2010
in other words between the Ableton Bridge and ITCH, why would you want SSL to do all this syncing grid auto stuff as well?
brkdncr 5:24 AM - 9 August, 2010
Dj'ing and the automotive industry have very little in common.

Serato is arguably the best product on the market, that's why I, and many others, would want it to do more...because the engineers and programmers behind Serato are the best.

Serato was designed to allow DJ's to do things easier. Why is there so much resistance to automatic beat sync? It's not going to make crappy DJ's any better. If someone doesn't want to use it, they won't have too.

Besides, can anyone honestly say they would stop using Serato if it had automatic beat sync?
AKIEM 8:10 AM - 9 August, 2010
Quote:
Dj'ing and the automotive industry have very little in common.

But there are concepts of operation and design that can be used interchangeably.

Quote:

Serato is arguably the best product on the market, that's why I, and many others, would want it to do more...because the engineers and programmers behind Serato are the best.

Serato was designed to allow DJ's to do things easier. Why is there so much resistance to automatic beat sync? It's not going to make crappy DJ's any better. If someone doesn't want to use it, they won't have too.

Besides, can anyone honestly say they would stop using Serato if it had automatic beat sync?

I would quit using Scratch Live, any Serato program, or any program by any company whatsoever that tossed everything requested into it.

Serato is a software company. Since you want auto-sync made by Serato - they have a program called ITCH with your auto-sync built into it.

Does it make sense for Serato (the company) to take all the features that they built into ITCH and dump those into Scratch Live? Two different programs with the same functions??
Deejay_Soze 1:08 AM - 11 August, 2010
I'm Djing for 19 years, EDM only and i'm using SSL for 2 years now. Most of my friends all use traktor as well as 90% of the famous dj's overhere. And like said above, EDM is bigger here in europe than in the states.

If it's that big a deal that you can't use autosync to be a DJ, Why don't add a function, when using autosync, the screencolors invert or get very bright, so everybody know's you are not beatmatching.. everybody knows..he's not a real DJ.. NOT!

Don't get me wrong, after so many years of DJ'ing, i can't do a descent scratch in a DJ set so i have great respect for people who can. I'm just not up for it. But i can beatmatch and make people dance their ass off, in my way. EDM or not, Each his own.

That said, i think anyone who pays for the SSL system can ask for updates like this and don't need to be shot down for it. EDM requires to be tweaked while mixing, autosynced looping, EFX's etc.. and this is hard work to keep 2 or maybe 3 decks beatmatched in a mix of 4+ minutes.. you simply put to much time in keeping things sync'd and you loose the oppurtunity to be creative with your EFX's.. and that's what the crowd wants, you to be different with the tracks..

Why i don't use traktor? Because i like serato, it's stable, the multicolor waveforms, and overview of crates, etc..and because it's my choice.
I'm very happy with the 2.0 update, EFX's was a must and looking forward to the bridge!

What i mean with the autosync looping:
Whilest in the mix, a track get's to the end and i selected 2 buttons on my midi controller to be a 4 bar and 8 bar loop.
If i'm slighly off when pressing the button (probbably because i was correcting a track ;)) The loop doesn't start on the nearest beat but where you pressed the button, so everytime it's loops i have to spin it to keep it synced.
So that results in not using the loop function because you have to be right on the milisecond to press the button and you don't want to fuck up yur mix.

PROMOSET:

soundcloud.com
AKIEM 2:33 AM - 11 August, 2010
I think the reason it gets 'shot down' is that there is a class of wannabe DJs who want auto-sync because they CANT mix. Its not that they want to use the extra time that an auto-sync might give you to do extra cool shit. Its because they dont care about learning anything about DJing and take every shortcut possible. This mentality is a detriment to the DJ culture and profession.

I bet that most of the DJs shooting down the idea will also respect a DJ who does use some sort of sync or any other type of auto feature in order push the craft further. If a DJ is doing all sorts of 'live remixing' and creative sound modification I doubt anyone is going to hate on it with "hey he didnt match those samples!"

But if its a guy who cant blend two simular tracks and is complaining about it 'going out of sync after he matched the bpm by looking at the screen' its a different story.
Mr Wilks 11:16 AM - 11 August, 2010
Maybe Serato should make a new DJ software for use with turntable control, geared up for EDM like Traktor Scratch Pro? And as said, maybe a different look too?

Itch = Controller based (Auto Mix possible)
Scratch Live = Hip-hop/Purists (Keep it simple!)
Scratch Dance? = EDM (A product to rival Traktor with auto mix and beat grids?)

I'll stick with my Scratch Live for EDM thanks, but this will keep the "auto mix" peeps at bay and away from Scratch Live and onto a product they can enjoy as much as i so Scratch.

Simples.
AKIEM 12:43 PM - 11 August, 2010
Quote:
Maybe Serato should make a new DJ software for use with turntable control, geared up for EDM like Traktor Scratch Pro? And as said, maybe a different look too?

Thats the other thing. It seems like people just want the Serato name, instead of just choosing the software with the wanted features. Is Traktor really that unstable? Because the only other thing 'auto-sync-wanters' seem to want to use 'Serato' for is the name. Yes, they want Traktor built by Serato.

Quote:

Itch = Controller based (Auto Mix possible)
Scratch Live = Hip-hop/Purists (Keep it simple!)
Scratch Dance? = EDM (A product to rival Traktor with auto mix and beat grids?)

I'll stick with my Scratch Live for EDM thanks, but this will keep the "auto mix" peeps at bay and away from Scratch Live and onto a product they can enjoy as much as i so Scratch.

Simples.

Wont the Bridge trump Traktor when it comes to 'auto-sync'? you will get all the syncing you want. Doesnt Ableton Live rival Traktors auto mix and beat grids?

Quote:

Seriously? If you cant learn how to manually keep two records beat matched without too much trouble you would probably be better off with something else.
s3kn0tr0n1c 12:50 PM - 11 August, 2010
USE YOUR EARS FOR BEATMATCHING.

yes im shouting ;)

sure for a quick reference check the screen for bpm but for precise beat matching its all about EARS.
Mr Wilks 5:43 PM - 11 August, 2010
Completely agree Akiem.

The amount of times someone leans over the DJ box, takes a look at my software and says "that's Virtual DJ, that is! I have it at home!". It's triggers like that that cause the red mist to descend and i need to take a lil' time out before i connect a weighty Sure SM58 to their skull!

The addition of Ableton Live will keep the beat sync'ers happy as you can add tracks to your sets as it's not just for sounds. I think they will use Scratch Live in a whole new "credible" way if they purchase Ableton Live 8. Just save your tracks you want to mix with as an Ableton project and you should be able to open them up in Scratch.

The Bridge won't just trump Traktor... it will destroy it.

I personally can't wait for The Bridge as i'm excited to live remix in perfect sync but i'll never use it to drop whole tracks in. Maybe acapellas but never a full song as for me (personally) i love to beat match.

I also don't think Traktor is that unstable now. I know they have had issues in the past but i think they have pretty much nailed it now. I'd probably say it's more reliable than my Scratch Live 2.1 as that's the buggiest pre-release i've ever had the misfortune to play with (no disrespect Serato - I still love you!).

I also own Torq (just for the conectiv but got the vinyl pack as you may as well!) and that has auto mix. I pressed it once to see how accurate it was. Not bad, but no match for my ears.
I've spun EDM for 20 years now and it's my personal preference to use Scratch over Traktor or Torq. My flatmate uses Traktor and swears by it. It's just not for me.

On another note and not to fault one of my personal DJ hero's but i've had the pleasure to DJ alongside Alistair Whitehead a few times and he turns up with a Mac and a Novation launchpad. Everything is played through Ableton and warped ready to go. This is a DJ i love for the music selection and bought all his Fantazia albums back in the mid 90's. I wouldn't want to start a war by saying he's cheating as the crowd know no different from his set to mine but i know i worked 110% live in Scratch for four hours using my ears and when he takes over he presses play at the right time (and it's quantized too!). Each to their own i suppose but it's that self satisfaction knowing i'm doing it live. Do the 2300 people in front of me care? No.

And about the BPM's... surely they are big enough as they are but i suppose if you can't see them properly then why not make them into bold type? It won't affect me at all as i barely use them. Maybe a quick glance to get them in the right pitch area every so often but that's it. On a previous beta they was big and bold IIRC and got reduced in size due to public demand. people power, eh? lol :)
Mr Wilks 5:54 PM - 11 August, 2010
Oh yeah!

And i agree too about wanting the Serato name. It's a prestigious marque in the DJ world and is highly regarded. Without sounding like a fanboi, i wouldn't touch anything else although Traktor is adding new features constantly, i was tempted to try Traktor Scratch Pro with the Audio 8 but declined when i seen the price.

No thanks!
AKIEM 9:46 AM - 17 August, 2010
true
Evon 7:14 PM - 17 August, 2010
Give me 1 dj that actually plays 4 decs without using traktor?
Serato deliver a quality product and that is why I haven't jumped ship just yet.
But I see more and more that Traktor is also a quality product.
As it is now traktor edm djs can do awsome stuff that a Serato DJ would just dream of doing.
Every Edm dj should embrace autosync because it gives you possibilities. The bridge is one step. But would really see some sort of sync between decks and sample player as well.
Crowd doesn't give a shit about beatmatching, I don't think less of a dj if he uses a dvs with autosync if he does stuff that weights up for it. (like playing 4 decs and do awsome effects) But using autosync on 2 decs and not not doing much I would say is a lazy DJ
Evon 7:20 PM - 17 August, 2010
Pls don't make me consider buying the S4 traktor controller...
Mr Wilks 7:32 PM - 17 August, 2010
I was looking at the S4 about an hour ago after hearing Torq is also getting an overhaul and moving to Germany with the AIR team involved. Interesting.

I also own Torq.
Deejay_Soze 8:22 PM - 17 August, 2010
nice remark about the sync between decks and sample player.. forget to mention that in my post ;) It would be a bless indeed to have those two in sync, otherwise the sampler has no use for me and is disabled.

I think there are lots of things that should change in SSL in order to perform a better act (or at least have the possibilty to activate them)
It has crossed mind my to switch to traktor, but still holding on to SSL, for now.

I'm waiting on the bridge update, very curious about that, because i'm producing as well.

But i think any kind of autosync will be out of the question because this community is so full of hate for it..
AKIEM 10:51 PM - 17 August, 2010
What exactly is it that you can do with Traktor that you cant do with Ableton (the bridge)??
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:25 AM - 18 August, 2010
Quote:
jeff milligan

maybe one day i will too, until then im rocking 3 decks(working hard to do so) all manually.
thebuttonfreak 8:23 AM - 18 August, 2010
I do everything you can do in traktor with an apc40 and serato in int mode. looping, effects ect... and my timing has gotten amazing, You don't need autosync. And most of the time 4 decks at the same time sounds like shit.
Deejay_Soze 12:27 PM - 18 August, 2010
i don't kno yet what you can do with the bridge.. it isn't out yet.. so i can't compare.

"Quote:
jeff milligan
"
==> diden't kno the guy but watch a video on you tube ( Watchwww.youtube.com )
big respect to do that with 4 decks, EDM style.. but i think there are very few EDM dj's who can do that with 4 decks without auto sync. I can do this with 3 decks, but then i have to keep focused on keeping them in sync so no time for EFX or sampler..

buttonfreak: i'm buying the apc as well, as soon as the bridge comes out. And yes, you probbably will be able to sync the tracks you load in ableton, but i like to have control over my tracks via the control vinyls and not thru buttons.
3 or 4 decks can sound awesome if you pick the right tracks for doing that, like minimal or a little techno..
Evon 3:12 PM - 18 August, 2010
Quote:
What exactly is it that you can do with Traktor that you cant do with Ableton (the bridge)??

Hopefully when the bridge is finish it will close the gap between Serato and Traktor. The bridge is the reason for why I haven't spent my cash on another DVS so far. As it is right now you can't load tracks from the Serato library to the bridge. You have to load clips and tracks via Ableton library.
Also, in order for the autosync to work you need to set warp markers in Ableton and beatgrids in Serato in order to get it to work properly. If you have 10 000 + songs which is not unusual for a DJ, it takes ages to warp and grid all these songs.
This is why I would like autosync betweed decs and sampleplayer.
But I'm confident the Serato team will address these issues later on when the first stage of bridge is finished ;)

The Jeff Milligan video is awsome btw.
Al DZ 6:13 AM - 20 August, 2010
Let me throw my two cents in this discussion. If Serato wanted to add auto sync to scratch live, they would have done it by now. The BPM counter on the SL decks and on your mixer (if it has one) plus two good ears are plenty to be a good DJ. Stop asking Serato to change SL. Many of you are saying that traktor does this and that but the bottom line you guys are still using SL to dj. Don't use or buy the product if it does not have the features you want or like.
Evon 8:57 AM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:
Let me throw my two cents in this discussion. If Serato wanted to add auto sync to scratch live, they would have done it by now. The BPM counter on the SL decks and on your mixer (if it has one) plus two good ears are plenty to be a good DJ. Stop asking Serato to change SL. Many of you are saying that traktor does this and that but the bottom line you guys are still using SL to dj. Don't use or buy the product if it does not have the features you want or like.

Yes I still use serato because I think it is a quality product. You can call me a fanboi or a loyal customer if you like. But I see that other Dj friends doing with traktor that a Serato dj have troubble doing (unless your name is Jeff Milligan) have made me more curious on Traktor latly. And the news about the S4 coming and new software with on the fly looping and sync 4 decs got me even more curious because it fit my needs better.
The reason Why I haven't jumped ship yet is because of the bridge and I want to see what it brings to the table before I do any hasty decitions.
If serato wan't their segment to be scratch djs fine. But if they wan't to have a decent market share amongst EDM djs or loose market share, they need to step their game up.
Deejay_Soze 9:31 AM - 20 August, 2010
+1 ^^
radikarl 10:45 AM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:
nice remark about the sync between decks and sample player.. forget to mention that in my post ;) It would be a bless indeed to have those two in sync, otherwise the sampler has no use for me and is disabled.

this can be done
play a track on a deck, pull it to a sample player and stop the deck. it keeps playing in the sample player if you do it right.
then load a new track to that deck and sync it manually to the track playing in sample player.
or use some midi hardware to bend and pitch the playing sample on the fly

i wonder if they discuss like that on the traktor forums
"serato has this and that, we want it"
i guess at the end its all good for us, the customers of either product.
Deejay_Soze 11:32 AM - 20 August, 2010
I don't tested that yet but the idea is, when your playing a track, get in a breakdown and suddenly i got a clear moment and i want to put in a vocal sample or drum riff i made in ableton.. then there's no time to do what you are explaining.. could work though. Would be easier if you could assign the sampler to sync with deck A or B..

And no they probbably don't have this kind of disccusion over there because the can sync ;)

whatever, it's an endless discussion over here, and the funny thing is, that there's been only response from users and not from serato staff..

just waiting on the bridge, see what that will give me to put something extra in my dj sets. If it's not what i'm looking for, i'll probbably jump to traktor. (that one user less that nags for the autosync feature so... everybody happy!)
ZESH! 7:02 PM - 20 August, 2010
How many PHUKKKKEEEEN times do I have to see another thread about Auto-Stink?

Are you serious??? You want a BOLDER BPM AND Auto-Stink so you can do more creative stuff?
If you can't be creative enough to hold a mix down, HOW in the name of Good DJing could you POSSIBLY try something like push another button to turn on the echo?

I don't like telling other DJs they suck, I'm all for helping a fellow Spinner out, but what you're asking for is so immature. Get out of your ameteur mentality and practice.

I've heard many arguements on auto-stink, both sides valid in many ways, but a BOLDER BPM in addition to auto-stink?

Lay your DJing sweat-band down and step way from the tables.
DJ Liav 9:09 PM - 20 August, 2010
We want DJs "In the Mix" not "in the song selection"

Akiem, I'm with you. Serato is great just the way it is. Keep doin what you're doing.

If you're into other stuff like sync than use another software. No one will judge you LOL. If the Serato name is so important to you, I have a sticker I can give you, you can stick it on the laptop.

Do you go up to Kia and tell them to start building Luxury Cars? No, because Kia is known as an economy car. Go To BMW, Mercedez etc.
Ian Saunders 5:59 PM - 21 August, 2010
Serato started as a basic two deck system but has progressed with the times by introducing the SP6 sampler, DJ FX and the the new SL3. If a DJ is good enough to push the boundaries while utilizing these tools do you really think they want to waste time to beat match each track during a set and then to keep tweaking the decks to keep the mix? It limits the potential having to worry about the BPM.

Quote:

If you can't be creative enough to hold a mix down, HOW in the name of Good DJing could you POSSIBLY try something like push another button to turn on the echo?

I don't like telling other DJs they suck, I'm all for helping a fellow Spinner out, but what you're asking for is so immature. Get out of your ameteur mentality and practice.

You really haven't given this discussion much thought with your narrow minded comments. You've just jumped on the "Auto-Stink" band wagon. Check out the link below and see for yourself the creative window this feature would open for Serato users.

I've been DJing for 20 years and I'm confident enough to drop a track straight into the mix and bpm it while the audience hears it but if I wanted to take my sets to the next level.....ie 2 tracks in the mix, loop samples and FX on playing then I'd be limited to what I could do.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Jesus Christ 6:04 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
Serato started as a basic two deck system but has progressed with the times by introducing the SP6 sampler, DJ FX and the the new SL3. If a DJ is good enough to push the boundaries while utilizing these tools do you really think they want to waste time to beat match each track during a set and then to keep tweaking the decks to keep the mix? It limits the potential having to worry about the BPM.

Quote:

You really haven't given this discussion much thought with your narrow minded comments. You've just jumped on the "Auto-Stink" band wagon. Check out the link below and see for yourself the creative window this feature would open for Serato users.

I've been DJing for 20 years and I'm confident enough to drop a track straight into the mix and bpm it while the audience hears it but if I wanted to take my sets to the next level.....ie 2 tracks in the mix, loop samples and FX on playing then I'd be limited to what I could do.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Why not just use ableton and The Bridge to sync your tracks? Better yet, if you're really going to stop giving a shit about ACTUAL DJ'ing, then just pre-record your set and pretend you're doing it live. You'll gain the same respect from other DJ's doing that as you would using an auto-sync mechanism.
ZESH! 6:41 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com
I'm all for autosyncing samples. I've mentioned it in the past. Ask around Ian, I'm driving the "Auto-Stink" Wagon, not just hopping on it.

@ 3:37 of the video..."With the S4, you can even spin a full set just using loops, and you're still doing it in the style of a REAL DJ"
I'm sold...I've always wondered what it was like to rock a party in the style of a REAL DJ
Deejay_Soze 7:30 PM - 21 August, 2010
that were some mature replies & comparensences.. i don't kno but as i last recall this topic was called: Scratch live feaure SUGGESTIONS

As neither Akiem, ZESH! or Jesus Christ seem to work for Rane industries, i think its not their call to make. Ok, dearly noted that you guys don't want autosync feature tellin it once would be sufficient.

You guys simply don't understand what we EDM dj's need to tweak our mixes. It's not that i don't have time to push a button or turn a knob while mixing, it's just annoing when your tracks get "drifting" and you have to adjust just slightly to get it corrected, you're away from your midi-controller to finish your EFX build up or whatever you were doing at the moment.

Same deal with sampler, needs to be able to sync to a deck, looping needs to loop at nearest beat and not a moment you push the button. If you are slighly off when pushing (like 1or2ms) and it's an 8bar loop, every time it loops, you have to swing your deck to keep it in sync. And that results in not dearing to use the loop player in the mix because you have a chance to f*ck it up.

And believe me, i also have totally no respect for people simply mixing 2 tracks in sync and doing nothing special with it or with their set, that's something my mom can do to, blindfolded.

i'm beatmatching since i was 13 years old, but that's not all that makes you a DJ, Track selection and timing for mixing is what makes you a good DJ IMHO.

personally, i like the idea of mr Wilks, maybe another version of SSL for EDM, with a distinctive difference in the GUI.. I think that would make everybody happy?

ohyeah, btw, i'm driving a KIA ;)
ZESH! 7:48 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
And believe me, i also have totally no respect for people simply mixing 2 tracks in sync and doing nothing special with it or with their set, that's something my mom can do to, blindfolded.
Perhaps your mom should teach some of these **cough**DJs how it's done.

I could be wrong, but not a single Beatmatching thread has been started by an EDM DJ for use of more than 2 decks.

All by people who want the software to do it for them for 2.

So imagine the lack of respect that I HAVE for those who don't even want to accomplish this basic yet important concept on their own.
Deejay_Soze 8:28 PM - 21 August, 2010
Yes maybe she should, just send me an email if needed ;)

I don't want to do the software to do the work for me, i can & like beatmatching (check my webspace for music), it's just i want to have the option to use it when needed; like mixing 3 or 4 decks.

I don't care if they put it in or not, i just think it's not fair how everybody is reacting to this.. Like mentioned above it's just ignorant in this day and age, software and technologie, it's a simple feature and people wanna use it. And by the way, if you are in to music, you even hear it in a dj set when somebody plays in autosync.

I think in my case, what's really bothering me is the sampler and looper issue. But i think (hope) that will be solved with the Bridge.
ZESH! 9:14 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
Yes maybe she should, just send me an email if needed ;)

Touché!
Deejay_Soze 10:05 PM - 21 August, 2010
:)

just noticed that there's a public beta out for the Bridge?

hell yeah! :p
AKIEM 9:42 AM - 22 August, 2010
the Bridge
this argument is now moot
howcome 6:37 PM - 22 August, 2010
The Bridge is not the same as autosync. The beatgrids now in SL are used with The Bridge but it seems to be the first step to autosync. I bet you they have a working autosync developed that they have not released. They should sell autosync as a plugin to make some money. And sell new boxes with autosync as a separate product like SL EDM. And no they should not make it identifiable by some stupid screen trick so all of the bitter "old school" or "real dj's" can feel better about themselves while they are standing near the booth in fake indignation while the "fake" dj is getting paid. I can't believe some of you would try to deny Serato new customers so you can feel superior.
radikarl 6:42 PM - 22 August, 2010
*stops tracking*
Mr Wilks 8:58 PM - 22 August, 2010
To Serato... Release it as a plug-in so if you want it, it's there if you don't then your free to use the system you already know and love.

I don't need auto sync myself so why not bring out the EDM edition/plug-in? It's not a screen trick i had in mind... it's something that's laid out a little different and with EDM in mind from the off, rather than a back seat to turntablists. Traditional users can't complain as it's effectively a new product based on Scratch but embraces EDM players more.

I hope you can see i'm trying to be impartial as i hate upsetting people.
Serato have made it clear that by integrating Ableton that's their nod towards sync. Whether that's just the start of their auto sync integration or their working on more remains to be seen. Personally i think that's as far as we'll go in Scratch regarding auto sync as Ableton is a credible addition but not fully integrating it. Who knows? Anyway...

*Joke alert*

When you do activate the plug-in the screen goes bright pink and a sample plays from the SP-6 "WARNING! WARNING! THE DJ IN THE BOOTH IS NOT REALLY MIXING... HE'S A LIAR, A FRAUD AND A CHEAT!"... and all in perfect sync with the music!

*pushes tongue firmly in cheek*
AKIEM 11:18 AM - 24 August, 2010
the Bridge

what is it that 'auto-sync' does that Ableton does not?
Evon 12:11 PM - 24 August, 2010
Quote:
the Bridge

what is it that 'auto-sync' does that Ableton does not?

With Ableton you have to warp and beatgrid every song in order for it to work. You also have to go through Ableton in order to load songs and clips into the bridge. You can not use Serato library to load tracks. In my Setup I have most songs in one folder and let my Serato smartcrates sort it all out.
So lets say I have 10 000 songs I want to prepare sorting/prepare beatgrid/warps in Ableton 5 min each song means I have to spend over 800 Hours warping songs.
You see my point?
I'm pretty sure bridge is going to be a great tool. It's still in beta and these are issues for later stages. But for now I would like Autosync because I wan't to mix more decs and utilize the SP-6 alot more.
AKIEM 4:29 PM - 24 August, 2010
so if Ableton were able to load from the SSL library...

and could "sync" less accurately (without warping) which I think it does...

how would/could auto-sync work without firsts warping the files?
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:50 AM - 25 August, 2010
i would think it is impossible to sync without using grids.....

even if auto sync was between decks and sp6 you would still need to warp/grid them in SL.
Evon 7:59 PM - 25 August, 2010
Quote:

even if auto sync was between decks and sp6 you would still need to warp/grid them in SL.

Maybe. I'm not sure how it works. But I do know it works in Virtual DJ without warping/griding. So I see no reason why Serato shouldn't be able to do the same.
Maybe it's different programming or something in Serato, I don't know.
Rolland 1:13 PM - 11 November, 2010
do you all think that auto syncing means djing? djing is coming from disc jockey ing and beleave me i heard a lot of good synchronized sets where the discjockeying was shit..
dont just have battle in mind let the others speak to bring it forward.
@ jesus christ your jokes are childish.. first you should learn how to synchronize before posting shit around here..
Jesus Christ 12:05 AM - 12 November, 2010
Welcome to 3 months ago. The time difference between USA and Germany must be bigger than I thought.
greenman 12:22 AM - 4 December, 2010
working with grids is stressful.
be it traktor, ableton or scratch, if you want auto sync you need to prepare.

the problem is that the battle is unfair. traktor djs beatsync and have more time to do other stuff. serato djs must care about the mix. i dont like the oh-so-clean mixes, still i dont want the program to make the choice for me.

as with beat grid it seems technically possible, it is not understandable why sync works with ableton, but not in internal mode with mp3 decks
Laz219 12:26 PM - 5 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe. I'm not sure how it works. But I do know it works in Virtual DJ without warping/griding. So I see no reason why Serato shouldn't be able to do the same.
Maybe it's different programming or something in Serato, I don't know.

Works in VirtualDJ isn't particularly true, maybe for a second. Although even then half the time it will read the second beat as the first so it'll be kick over snare. As far as I can tell VDJ is just auto-beatgrid effectively and is exceptionally inaccurate.