DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

slipmats- Butter rugs or table cloths?

DJ Dac 9:15 PM - 13 July, 2010
ok time to buy new slipmats, from what I'm seeing butter rugs are all the rage.... but who knows, there all 15 bucks for a pair. recommendations?????????????
djsatony 9:17 PM - 13 July, 2010
do you scratch or mix more? I've never tried the butter rugs but I have the table cloths. They are slippery as shit and I can never mix with them well. I only use them when I scratch.
DJ Dac 9:20 PM - 13 July, 2010
i want a happy medium, the current old crappy ones i have (don't know what they are) blow for scratching, but mixing is the most important part of my day... if you take out the slip sheets is it a little more sticky?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:23 PM - 13 July, 2010
i want to try those dr suzuki mix edition mats, anyone used them?? Right now im using some butter rugs with a heavy slimat over them, great feel
DJ Dac 9:27 PM - 13 July, 2010
i have always used a cheap pair of slipmats and never really thought about it, lately they are starting to fall apart, im just noticing there is a huge selection and not really sure where i want to go with this, granted its only 15 dollars but its a fairly important part of the set up and it might be whats hampering some of my scratching since something just doesn't seem right with them...
djsatony 9:29 PM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
i want a happy medium, the current old crappy ones i have (don't know what they are) blow for scratching, but mixing is the most important part of my day... if you take out the slip sheets is it a little more sticky?

even without the slip sheets it's slippery as hell.. trust me you should go with dr. suzuki's mix edition. It's great for mixing and scratching. i think it's a little more expensive though..
DJ Dac 9:31 PM - 13 July, 2010
well when compared to the thousands of dollars worth of equipment sitting around 20 bucks is a drop in the bucket, any cheap websites i should be looking for?
djsatony 9:33 PM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
i want to try those dr suzuki mix edition mats, anyone used them?? Right now im using some butter rugs with a heavy slimat over them, great feel

The mix edition is great! perfect for both scratching and mixing.
DLBreaks 10:10 PM - 13 July, 2010
butter rugs all the way.. i have both, butter rugs and table cloths.. butter rugs ftw.. i even love djing live with the butter rugs.
dirtyonekanobi 10:37 PM - 13 July, 2010
Personally, I use the suzuki's. I use them without the wax paper underneath. Works GREAT for me both mixing & scratching. They were a little too slippery with the wax paper.
DLBreaks 10:39 PM - 13 July, 2010
thats the ones i got is the suzuki ones but liked the feel of the butter rugs way better and i even use wax paper underneath the butter rugs cause when i do fast stabs and chirps it helps
Djaward 10:47 PM - 13 July, 2010
TRIP MATTS are the way to go. Those are the ones with a swirl.
Cyberia 11:45 PM - 13 July, 2010
Dr. Suzuki mats's (either Table Cloth or Mix Edition) are WAY better quality then Butter Rugz. Butter Rugz are so thin that quick backspins produce vibration noise and taking the record off the platter leads to the slipmat coming off with it 90% of the time! I used to swear by Butter Rugz too because of Q-Bert using them, but after they started fraying at the center hole and edges, I was willing to try Table Cloth's. I'll never go back. There's a reason why the only official Serato slipmat ever made was on a Table Cloth, quality. The thickness, material and fact that they are produced in Japan, are all factors that lead to better performance. Butter on the rug leads to oily stains, Table Cloth's keep you clean and fresh... you decide.
dirtyonekanobi 12:57 AM - 14 July, 2010
and not to jock-ride or anything, but ^^ Cyberia's youtube vidz are sick enough to endorse whatever!
Watchwww.youtube.com
Cyberia 1:21 AM - 14 July, 2010
Quote:
and not to jock-ride or anything, but ^^ Cyberia's youtube vidz are sick enough to endorse whatever!
Watchwww.youtube.com

Thanks alot man. I am honored to be complimented. By the way those are Table Cloth's under those records...lol.
dirtyonekanobi 2:46 AM - 14 July, 2010
Same ones I have... but my cuts don't sound like that homie!
xplycyt 3:34 AM - 14 July, 2010
Quote:

your mats must be faulty...
nonplus 4:20 AM - 14 July, 2010
Quote:
Butter on the rug leads to oily stains, Table Cloth's keep you clean and fresh... you decide.

i've had the same pair of butter rugs for the last 3 years... you just sold me on some table cloths, especially if the cut down on backspin rumble.

here's a tip to eliminate friction between your platter and slipmat:
spray armor all on a rag and apply it to your platter like you would your car interior. it will make bad mats work well and good mats slicker than shit.
dirtyonekanobi 1:34 PM - 14 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

your mats must be faulty...

good mats, faulty skills lol
Djcracker 7:59 PM - 14 July, 2010
Tablecloths are the Grandmasters.

I have 5 turntables and they all have the glow in the dark Tablecloths. The best turntable slip mats ever made.

When i use tablecloths this song plays in my head.
Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj Nyce 7:00 PM - 16 July, 2010
what about the frosted plates with or without flying carpets?
Dj Nyce 7:10 PM - 16 July, 2010
nevermind...frosted plates are just butter rugs+flying carpets.
n:deuce 12:24 AM - 17 July, 2010
where can you find the dr suzuki mix edition mats?
DJ Shady Lady 12:33 AM - 17 July, 2010
butter rugs ftw
_Stuart 3:38 PM - 17 July, 2010
i use frosted plates with a flying carpet underneath.
i find that this way when mixing with vinyl, when you change a record the frosted plate stays on the platter and does not stick to the back of the vinyl.
if i just use the frosted plate then more often than not it comes off with the vinyl :(
DJ Prinvale` 5:06 PM - 17 July, 2010
I've been usin the stock mats that come w/ 1200's for 10 years. Guess once you're used to it...
gotchuckz 11:01 PM - 6 September, 2010
i just bought butter rugs v2 for my m5g's. big improvement and feels much better than the stock technics slipmats/transparent sheet.

the platter on the m5g's feels heavier and not as loose as the mk5's/mk II's.
Cyberia 1:44 AM - 7 September, 2010
There are new slipmats from D-Styles and Dr. Suzuki coming soon.
ninos 2:36 AM - 7 September, 2010
Quote:
There are new slipmats from D-Styles and Dr. Suzuki coming soon.

WWWOOOOOOOOOO cant wait! ive been usuing the version 2 tablecloths ones for a few months now, their great. cant wait to see what their coming up with :)
K DoGG 9:27 AM - 7 September, 2010
Where can i buy tablecloths? was given some serato ones at a demo a few years ago... best slipmats ever.
Cyberia 11:17 AM - 7 September, 2010
Quote:
Where can i buy tablecloths? was given some serato ones at a demo a few years ago... best slipmats ever.

Guitar Center, PSSL and Turntable Lab are just some of the places you can get them.
dj synystr 1:08 PM - 7 September, 2010
i use butter rugs and i scratch mix do it all. they work well and keep your record lower on the platter which helps IMO a bit too.
Booyah 3:48 PM - 7 September, 2010
TableCloths, I just use the double wax paper and use the J Dilla Donut Shop slipmats and its smooth sailing scratching and mixing. Give your had movement a fluent comfortable feel
The New Guy 5:08 AM - 8 September, 2010
I use Butter Rugs but I think I should change them. All I do is mix and some times its too slippery haha
Cyberia 5:47 AM - 8 September, 2010
Quote:
I use Butter Rugs but I think I should change them. All I do is mix and some times its too slippery haha

Try Dr. Suzuki Mix Editions. Nice and thicker material for a more "controlled" feel.
IAMDJDK 2:21 AM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
Personally, I use the suzuki's. I use them without the wax paper underneath. Works GREAT for me both mixing & scratching. They were a little too slippery with the wax paper.

I use the Tablecloths without the wax paper as well. Even though I can mix with the wax paper underneath, I feel like my mixing is better with them off.
Hype Mike 2:47 AM - 5 April, 2014
I've used several different types and brands of slipmats. And when it comes down to it, its really all about personal preference. I've used the butter rugs on top of glowtronics slipmats as well as tablecloths on top of some glowtronics. I like the feel that the tablecloths give you for scratching. Amd they are equally good for mixing. The only issue is the hole in the center of the tablecloth that wears out after constant use. As for the butter rugs, it does create a bit of vibrations on back spins and frays after constant use. But if I had to give any kind of advice on the matter, I would say use some glowtronics with some tablecloths and just one slip sheet in between the table cloth and the glowtronics slip mat. I've found that to be a fair balance between scratching and mixing with minimal feedback or vibration.