Serato Video and Video-SL Help

Need help with Video-SL and Serato Video?

Outputting Video SL to projector

Product
Video-SL
Version
Video-SL
Scratch Live
Hardware
iPad mini
Computer
Mac
OS
Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
Platform
-
DJ Tecniq 10:28 PM - 12 July, 2010
Product: video-sl
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.3
---

I need some help guys, I just took a picture of the clubs projector outputs for my seconday source. I'm using a new 15" mbp i7 as my main video output. Looking at the description below can you tell me what cables I would need or best connection to hook into? My mbp only has a mini display port, i'm not sure there's any other inputs. I'm hoping I don't have to convert the signal and just stay digital. Is this possible. It's seems the projector has many connection options. I'm not sure where to start.

img265.imagevenue.com

S-Video, Component Video, VGA in, M1 Signal In, RS-232, VGA Out.
Michael R 2:36 AM - 13 July, 2010
Hi DJ Tecniq,

S-Video, Component and VGA are all analog formats, whereas M1 is digital. I must admit that I'm not familiar with the M1 format, so I can't offer much advice on it. Apple don't appear to make a Mini Display-Port to M1 adapter, so I don't think you'd be able to connect to that without doing a chain of conversion (e.g. Mini Display-Port to DVI, DVI to M1). There is a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter (store.apple.com), so you could connect from your MacBook Pro to the VGA input on the projector using a VGA cable.

If you want more info on all these display formats please check out these links:

Mini DisplayPort -> en.wikipedia.org

VGA -> en.wikipedia.org

M1 -> en.wikipedia.org

Component Video -> en.wikipedia.org

S-Video -> en.wikipedia.org
Dj Boogie B (636/314) 3:42 PM - 13 July, 2010
I GOT THE SAME ISSUE.... looks like we gotta do mini displayport to vga, then buy the vga-s-video converter box for around $200. unless u can use hdmi, then just the mini displayport to hdmi.... anything besides hdmi is gunna be an analog signal as the minidisplay will be a digital. You could possibly get like 3-4 converters, but that wont give you jack shit for qaulity and will be nasty looking....
DJ Tecniq 6:57 PM - 13 July, 2010
shit this sux. So if I tried mini displayport to vga it would not work? It's starting to seem like video sl is not all worth it. What's the cheapest high quality converter to buy?
DJ Tecniq 7:17 PM - 13 July, 2010
What I'm asking is if I bout the minidisplayport to vga adapter then used a male vga cable then connected that to the vga in on the projector it would work correct? Or would I still need a converter box to output the signal?
carter 7:28 PM - 13 July, 2010
Vga to Vga you won't need a convertor.
DJ Tecniq 7:29 PM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
I GOT THE SAME ISSUE.... looks like we gotta do mini displayport to vga, then buy the vga-s-video converter box for around $200. unless u can use hdmi, then just the mini displayport to hdmi.... anything besides hdmi is gunna be an analog signal as the minidisplay will be a digital. You could possibly get like 3-4 converters, but that wont give you jack shit for qaulity and will be nasty looking....
No I believe both of us just need the minidisplay port to vga adaptor, then a male to male vga cable and it should work fine. The adaptor should convert the signal unless i am mistaken.
DJ Tecniq 7:30 PM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
Vga to Vga you won't need a convertor.
ahh that's the answer i was looking for. Then this is def better than spending $200 on a converter box. Is VGA the best quality thou?
carter 7:36 PM - 13 July, 2010
Go VGA to VGA for the projector. If you have more than one buy a a VGA splitter/amplifier like the Kramer VP-2 or VP-3. VGA will give you the best quality depending on the specs of the projector. Recommended display settings for VSL is either 640x480, 720x480 or 800x600. Increasing to 1280x720 (720) or 1920x1080 (1080) won't do anything to enhance the picture.

@Tecniq, VGA to convertor to S-video or component would be your best bet. Look at the Avermedia Quickplay or the Avermedia Key Micro. Quickplay takes up a USB slot while the Micro requires an external power source. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. And there are also other options out there for converting the signal. You'll just have to search and find them on here.
DJ Tecniq 7:55 PM - 13 July, 2010
@Tecniq, VGA to convertor to S-video or component would be your best bet. Look at the Avermedia Quickplay or the Avermedia Key Micro. Quickplay takes up a USB slot while the Micro requires an external power source. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. And there are also other options out there for converting the signal. You'll just have to search and find them on here.I think i'll just buy the adaptor then just go vga to vga into the projector. it's a pretty high quality projector I don't think i'll lose quality unless u recommend I do Vga to s-video or component.
DJ Tecniq 7:56 PM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
@Tecniq, VGA to convertor to S-video or component would be your best bet. Look at the Avermedia Quickplay or the Avermedia Key Micro. Quickplay takes up a USB slot while the Micro requires an external power source. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. And there are also other options out there for converting the signal. You'll just have to search and find them on here.
I think i'll just buy the adaptor then just go vga to vga into the projector. it's a pretty high quality projector I don't think i'll lose quality unless u recommend I do Vga to s-video or component.

*edit*
carter 8:00 PM - 13 July, 2010
sorry that was supposed to be @Boogie.
DJ Tecniq 8:03 PM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
sorry that was supposed to be @Boogie.
figured so. thanx for the help carter. I knew i was on the right track just needed the right knowledge to get there
DJ Tecniq 8:08 PM - 13 July, 2010
One more question do they make a minidisplay port to vga male & female adaptor for apple? cause i can use either on the projector
DJ Tecniq 8:18 PM - 13 July, 2010
Nm. i anwswered my own question as I see they do make both adaptors.
DJ Tecniq 8:25 PM - 13 July, 2010
screw paying $30 bucks for that adaptor, I found them hella cheaper on ebay brand new