Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

itunes playlists not showing

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
mansq 2:12 PM - 19 June, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.0
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: vista32
---

when i turn on serato, my itunes playlists does not show. the library and all the tracks are still there in library and all. but the playlists from itunes are not on the main display. i am running itunes 9.0
djrick1 7:30 PM - 20 June, 2010
I'm having the exact problem with 2.0. Everything was fine with 1.9. I think this might be an issue that Serato might have to look into. My problem is like yours but worse. The new songs that I add in iTunes don't appear in Serato. About half my songs don't display in Serato. Don't know what else to do. I've tried everything!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:19 AM - 21 June, 2010
Hey mansq,

Just to double check, your iTunes library shows up in Scratch Live but your iTunes' playlists don't? You need to click the white arrow that is on the iTunes Library crate in Scratch Live. This will expand it you should see your itunes playlists. Is this the problem?

Let me know if this is not it, in which case it may be you have a corrupt iTunes XML file, which is easy to fix :)

Hey djrick1,

Could you please try this : Rescan iTunes ID3 tags

1. Close all programs.
2. Open up iTunes.
3. Click on your 'music' to show all the songs in your library.
4. Select all (apple+a Mac)
5. Ctrl+mouse button on the highlighted area.
6. Select 'get info' from the drop down menu.
7. Click 'yes' when asked if you want to edit multiple items.
8. Click 'ok' at the bottom of the edit page.
9. Close iTunes completely
10. Open SSL

Does this fix it?
djrick1 5:08 AM - 21 June, 2010
Loigan, thanks for the help. But still nothing. I did exactly as you said. I even installed the newest version of iTunes that came out today. I have around 23000 songs, but on Serato I only get around 11000. Nothing that I add new comes out.

Don't know what else to try. I've even reinstalled both programs and redone the database files a few times.

I have all my music on an external hard drive. Is there anything special I might have to do because of this?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 5:42 AM - 21 June, 2010
Hey djrick1,

When Scratch Live isn't reading ALL of your iTunes music usually refreshing the iTunes ID3 tags (as you have just done) fixes it. But that's okay I'm sure this isn't a major and we can fix it :)

It's possible that you may have a corrupt iTunes XML file - this is the file that Scratch Live reads for songs that are in iTunes. You haven't told me if you have a PC or a MAC but making a new iTunes XML is basically the same for both.

Recreate iTunes XML : Close Scratch Live and Itunes. Go to (My) Music > Itunes and rename the file iTunes Music Library (XML document) to Old_iTunes Music Library. Now open iTunes then Scratch Live. In the Scratch Live setup screen go to the Library tab and un-check 'read itunes library' then re-check it.

Do ALL the iTunes songs appear now?

If they don't :

What file type are the songs that don't appear?
Do you have a PC or MAC and what system format is your external HD? (NTFS / Fat32 etc)

Cheers :)
djrick1 1:21 AM - 22 June, 2010
I'm using Windows Vista and all my music is on my FAT32 external drive. I have MP3's, WMA's, M4p's, and M4a's on this drive. I've noticed that it doesn't matter the file type. I'm missing all kinds of files.

I have noticed a few things: I've been using music with that latin n with the squiggly line on top for years. Also vowels with accents over them. Never had a problem with any of these. But I do have quite a few. I also noticed a song that I got from iTunes that is a capital A with some kind of a weird line on top. Don't know if this might affect it.

I have recreated the iTunes library file a few times. That hasn't worked. When I have iTunes reread all the songs, it puts the library files on the external hard drive. Then when I start SSL, it doesn't find them there. I've taken that XML file and copied it to the correct folder in the My Music folder so SSL can find it, but then it finds the same thing: only about half the songs. I have also recreated the SSL database v2 several times and this hasn't worked either.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:24 AM - 22 June, 2010
It seems the latest 9. version of iTunes is giving us a bit of trouble. So it's possible it may have something to do with that. I'm downloading the latest version now so i'll have a go at replicating the problem you're getting.

Quote:
I have noticed a few things: I've been using music with that latin n with the squiggly line on top for years. Also vowels with accents over them. Never had a problem with any of these. But I do have quite a few. I also noticed a song that I got from iTunes that is a capital A with some kind of a weird line on top. Don't know if this might affect it.

Okay that's interesting. We had a problem with previous versions of Scratch Live where if there were foreign characters like this then there would be an error message and Scratch Live would not read any iTunes songs after it tried to read one of these. However this was fixed in Scratch Live version 2.0...

1/. What version of Scratch Live are you running?
2/. With the tracks that have squiggly lines / funny characters etc, do they appear in Scratch Live or are they part of the group of tracks that don't appear?
3/. Can you identify anything similar / peculiar about the tracks that don't show in Scratch Live? Are you able to attach one to this thread so i can take a look at it.

Apologies for how long this is taking, hopefully we will have it fixed asap! :)

Thanks for your patience!
dj tsontko 5:10 AM - 22 June, 2010
I am having the same problem. two weeks ago itunes was working fine with serato. Now I have no play list. reinstaled Itunes and serato and the playlist dont show up.

I am running a pc window vista
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 5:39 AM - 22 June, 2010
Hey dj tsontko,

Exactly what version of iTunes are you currently running?

Have you tried what i mentioned earlier in the thread :

1. Close all programs (including Scratch Live)
2. Open up iTunes.
3. Click on your 'music' to show all the songs in your library.
4. Select all (Control + a)
5. Right-click on the highlighted area.
6. Select 'get info' from the drop down menu.
7. Click 'yes' when asked if you want to edit multiple items.
8. Click 'ok' at the bottom of the edit page.
9. Close iTunes completely
10. Open Scratch LIVE

If this does not fix it could you please start a new help thread - (by all means still follow this one!). Just so i can keep track of different people's problems. Although it may seem you have the same problem often it turns out they are completely different. Cheers :)
djrick1 5:48 PM - 22 June, 2010
I am using Windows Vista, SSL 2.0, and the newest iTunes that just got released las Sunday.

Everything was fine with SSL 1.9. When I installed 2.0 is when all my playlists and half my songs went missing.

My tracks with foreign characters do appear in SSL. That's why I didn't think that was the problem.

Of the 11000 songs I'm missing, there doesn't seem to be any pattern in common. They are mostly MP3's, with some WMA's and a few M4a's. I am missing some of each.
Robert Brito 12:41 AM - 23 June, 2010
Just had a bit of a nightmarish scenario playing live last saturday.

Me and my buddy both run our music and playlists off of itunes playlists both saved to our respective lacie externals. We both use the same laptop (MacBook Pro intel core duo, Mac OSX 10.4 tiger)

His entire library is composed of wav files, and mine is a mixture of wav's and 320 mp3's (among some whitelabel tunes)

Serato is set up to read the itunes library

Now 2 weeks before last week we both switched between our libraries back and forth rather seamlessly by first closing the current playlist (eg mine) and opening his itunes library first by holding down the option button. As soon as the library is open then we would re-open serato and his library and his playlists would display with all his songs

This happened all night rather seamlessly until last saturday. At first all the playlists would be there but all tunes had been wiped out clean when we'd switch between my playlist and his. we'd close serato and reopen several times and then some cuts (a handful) would start to show. Eventually all of them did show (I physically dragged his tunes from the directory into the serato library and"re-imported" his tunes).

After that we were cool and went to eat, starting it up again in the middle of the gig it was back to square 1! everything was wiped out!! So he's playing backup vinyl and I'm repeating the process from before and indeed they EVENTUALLY showed up, but never risked closing serato again. I had to play my night from the directory and probably like 60% of my tunes were not there. If not more :S
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:19 AM - 23 June, 2010
Hey Robert Brito,

Are you still having this problem? if so, could you please start a new help thread (copy and past your comment into a new one). Your problem is likely to be different to this and it will be easier for us to help you in a new thread. Cheers :)

djrick1,

Can you please try rolling back to Scratch Live 1.9.1 and see if this fixes it : www.serato.com . It would be good if you could have both versions on your computer while we solve this problem (if you don't already). To have two versions on your computer follow this link : serato.com

If this doesn't fix it can you please upload your iTunes XML file to this thread so we can take a look at it.

Cheers :)
mansq 6:48 AM - 23 June, 2010
logan d,

thanks for trying to look into the problem. but its still there. most of the music is still there in library but not all. just compared the number of tracks on itunes and the number of tracks on ssl. they dont match. ssl showing a lot less tracks than itunes. and the playlists still not coming out. tried rescanning my id3 tags, didnt work. also tried recreating the itunes library xml file. also didnt work. appreciate what you've done so far. i'll keep checking on this thread if you find something new. thanks

mansq
11:10 PM, 23 Jun 2010
djrick1 attached a file: iTunes Library.xml
Download· Permalink
djrick1 11:16 PM - 23 June, 2010
I tried 1.9 again a few days ago. Nothing. Same result.

Here's my library file.

thanks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:28 AM - 24 June, 2010
Hey djrick1,

We ran the XML file through an XML validater and the following file seems to be the culprit :

Name: Dancing queen (Instrumental)
Artist: Kryptonite�
Location: /G:/Music/Downloads/Kryptonite_-_Dancing_Queen__12___Dee_Jay_1982_/Kry
ptonite- Dancing Queen (12'' Dee Jay 1982)/B. Dancing Queen (Instrumental).mp3

Please delete this file from iTunes. Make sure Scratch Live is closed. Does this fix the problem?
djrick1 3:45 PM - 25 June, 2010
Wow! That worked like a charm! Deleted the song, rescanned library, all of a sudden SSL found all my songs and playlists again. You've made me a very happy DJ. Incredible how one little file can cause such damage.

Thanks a million!

***Mansq, sorry I jumped on your thread here, but I was desperate. Good luck solving your issue.
mansq 6:57 AM - 26 June, 2010
djrick,, no problem man. glad to know your problems fixed.

logan, however my problem's still there. we've tried to run my xml file through w3schools online xml validator at www.w3schools.com which reported no errors. so my itunes playlists is still not there and so are some of my music. pls let me know what else i can do. thanks again. mansq.
mansq 8:33 AM - 26 June, 2010
ok, i have now resolved this problem. the error was some strange characters in a composer field of itunes library.xml file. i changed that data slightly in itunes and had it recreate it's library xml file. serato now reads all tracks and playlists.

a quick how to, for finding the problem track (i wish serato's xml parser would give better user feedback here). you'll have to know a little xml for this guide...

1. look at serrato's Library list (the incomplete one), find the track with the highest id (# column) - take note that tracks song, artist or album, any word or phrase that uniquely identifies the track
2. open WordPad, CTRL-F with that unique identifier (song, album or artist)
3. if WordPad finds the string, you are at that point in the document that contains the last track that serato could still successfully read before the parser error-ed out
4. the next track in the xml document should be the one causing the problem!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:59 AM - 28 June, 2010
Hey mansq,

Sorry for the late reply, it was the weekend here in New Zealand.

Quote:
ok, i have now resolved this problem. the error was some strange characters in a composer field of itunes library.xml file. i changed that data slightly in itunes and had it recreate it's library xml file. serato now reads all tracks and playlists.

This is actually what i thought djrick1 had before we figured it out. I'm glad you got it sorted. The method you described is one way of finding out what track it stopped at, however running it through an XML validator should have worked. I don't know why it didn't. Anyway, thanks for letting us know! :)