DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

PROMOTER QUESTIONS... (Percentages)

DjWoody 9:42 AM - 30 December, 2006
I know there's some of you that used to manage bars, others that promoted. What is the average percentage clubs pay promoters when there's no cover charge? What does the promoter usually pays for, and what does the club pay for? 250 Capacity.

This is what one promoter told me so far.

Venue: 300 people
NO COVER
20% Bar Sales + $500 for the expenses.

Does that sound about right? What are other deals that you guys gotten before?

Thank You!
DJ VIBE 10:53 AM - 30 December, 2006
that sounds just about right. i had a spot that just did 25% bar sales and thats it. i would take that deal and run with it
DJ d.range 4:51 AM - 2 January, 2007
stupid question: does "expenses" include the DJ? or is that limited to flyers & such??
a-swift 5:58 AM - 2 January, 2007
20% is a good percentage jesse. A lot of the clubs I know of will give promoters about 18% max, or they tier the percentage based on sales volume, usually at some ridiculous number that you'll never hit anyway.
SYK39 2:13 PM - 2 January, 2007
Quote:
20% is a good percentage jesse. A lot of the clubs I know of will give promoters about 18% max, or they tier the percentage based on sales volume, usually at some ridiculous number that you'll never hit anyway.

Thats probably bc those promoters can't negotiate for shit... Its all in the negotiations and your promises/gaurantees to the venue.
J_Static 11:37 AM - 3 January, 2007
20% sounds right, but if the bar makes more than the gurantee you agreed on then the percentage you get should go up.....

In the Bay where I DJ and assist in throwing the actual party with the promoting crews and clubs I run with it's like this:

THERE IS ALWAYS A COVER so it breaks down like this:

$500 Security Fee aka "the rental" fee
$3500 Bar Gurantee(if you surpass the gurantee the security fee gets sliced in half.
Since there is a cover and the bar belongs to the house, the promoters OWN the door.

Most of the clubs I have dealt with give the promoters the door because they know if the bars packed and that gurantee is surpassed, the bar always makes more than the door.
djlayz 5:10 PM - 3 January, 2007
I've always wondered how you keep the bar owners honest as to there sales. How do you know what was made that night? Sorry if this is an extreme newbie question
Likwid 6:11 PM - 3 January, 2007
Quote:
I've always wondered how you keep the bar owners honest as to there sales. How do you know what was made that night? Sorry if this is an extreme newbie question

Check the receipts. There's some element of trust in there, cause I'm sure they can pull an Enron if they need to. If the manager/owner is cool, you should be straight. Plus you can ballpark it.
djlayz 6:23 PM - 3 January, 2007
Thanks Likwid, is it a percentage of the bar profit or gross sales?

$5000 in gross sales = $1000 promoter?
Dj Chris Deza 8:28 PM - 3 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Check the receipts. There's some element of trust in there, cause I'm sure they can pull an Enron if they need to. If the manager/owner is cool, you should be straight. Plus you can ballpark it.

Make sure you have one of your peeps over by the bar and make sure everything is getting rung up.
Likwid 10:58 PM - 3 January, 2007
Quote:
Thanks Likwid, is it a percentage of the bar profit or gross sales?

$5000 in gross sales = $1000 promoter?

Yeah, its a % of gross.

I'm sure gross sales and net sales arent THAT different since the markup is so ridiculously high on booze. At least at most spots.
J_Static 2:04 AM - 4 January, 2007
Most owners are upfront and honest about their bar count because most of the time they want to make sure you met your bar gurantee and plus if you already own the door, then most likely like I said, the bar belongs to the house.....
Nappa 6:16 PM - 17 October, 2007
These promoters are pissing me off. I'm thinking of taking over a club one night and throwing my own event so I can see it from the other side.