DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Tracks that are difficult to mix in/out

djchope 4:45 AM - 26 April, 2010
i always have a hard time mixing rappers delight out haha seems like there is not hook on the vocals haha

your turn?
Tunecrew 4:58 AM - 26 April, 2010
mixing into Marshall Jefferson "Move Your Body" - it doesn't start on the 1 and the piano is actually horribly off beat for the first couple of measures... Ableton edit to the rescue :)

yes and +1 to Rappers Delight, it really never ends
DJ JEMZ 2:20 PM - 26 April, 2010
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine, the beggining is off beat somewhat, and you gotta keep fixing it

and def +1 also on Rappers Delight, ha!
Dj.Mojo 2:55 PM - 26 April, 2010
Stevie Wonder Superstition keeps getting fast and faster but looping helps
dj buterd hams 1:47 AM - 27 April, 2010
nas"one love" . i swear its off time
C. William 5:42 AM - 27 April, 2010
god that's so true about rapper's delight. right when i drop it everyone loves it but after that i'm like "uhhh......what do i do now"

in fact that reminds me i'm gonna go do an edit right now
OB One 4:03 PM - 27 April, 2010
In da club starts on a weird beat. .... I swear its got a 14 beat intro til the 1st vocals.
typerel 4:47 PM - 27 April, 2010
clipse - grindin'...still haven't figured out where to mix in if you start with the first beat.
dj cubicle 5:07 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
In da club starts on a weird beat. .... I swear its got a 14 beat intro til the 1st vocals.

That song is my kryptonite. Choo choo!
DJYoshi 5:11 PM - 27 April, 2010
Total - Kissing You/Oh Honey. goes fro, 64 - 90 bpm constantly
Audio1 5:21 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
i always have a hard time mixing rappers delight out haha seems like there is not hook on the vocals haha

your turn?
There is a version that has a bit of an instrumental in the middle which you can mix out of... Also, If you know the song well, You can find a nice 4-8bar portion to mix out of.
Wally Sparks 5:34 PM - 27 April, 2010
I've always had trouble with "We Gon Make It" by Jadakiss. I usually just slap it in from the first vocals. You know "fuck .. the.. frail shit".

50 Cent's "In Da Club" is a tough one also.

I used to have trouble with "Luchini" by Camp Lo but I figured that one out.
Dj.Mojo 7:16 PM - 27 April, 2010
Mixing "Shades of Jae" from Moodyman on real vinyl is also tough if you want to mix it from the beginning.
DJ Jonasty 7:22 PM - 27 April, 2010
Electric feel is a bugger of one to mix and out of so I just avoid it now.
Halfrikan 11:33 PM - 27 April, 2010
Doin it' - LL Cool J - the beat has one of the snares an 1/8 of the beat off, just a pain.

Pass the Courvoisier - Busta Rhymes " Don't this shit make...." i can never find a way to land that right, i sing it in my head over and over correctly but when it comes to make the drop i ALWAYS fuck it up
DJ Alkemy 11:41 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Doin it' - LL Cool J - the beat has one of the snares an 1/8 of the beat off, just a pain.

Pass the Courvoisier - Busta Rhymes " Don't this shit make...." i can never find a way to land that right, i sing it in my head over and over correctly but when it comes to make the drop i ALWAYS fuck it up

I used to just echo fade the "dont" part in and out then let it start then do a little scratch when it says jump, echo fade that in and out then let it drop.

A lot of old school soul stuff is a bit of a pain because of the human drummer element as it constantly fluctuates but it keeps you sharp cause your constantly adjusting.
Hassle 11:45 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
I've always had trouble with "We Gon Make It" by Jadakiss. I usually just slap it in from the first vocals. You know "fuck .. the.. frail shit".

word. I usually blend in the instrumental first, cuz its such a hot beat anyway, then a little movie skit from the sample bank followed by 'fuck...the...frail shit' lol
Corex 12:16 AM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:

I feel the exact same way on both – especially the Busta track. Every day I'm singing it to myself and it sounds like I have it right, but then I try it out it's not even close. Damn.

In Da Club is a pain in the ass too for sure.
sixxx 1:39 AM - 28 April, 2010
Those of you who have a hard time mixing in songs like In Da Club need to learn to drop, scratch or mix in the song from the first snare. Trust me. This technique is very useful AND it should be part of your arsenal of DJ tools.

Rappers Delight is an easy one now that you have Serato and you can loop. Also, you can echo out or use one of the many transitions that can be pulled off when you want to flip floors but you don't necessarily have to change the BPM.
BIGN8 4:04 AM - 28 April, 2010
+1 on the snare.

Pass the Courvoisier - Busta Rhymes " Don't this shit make...., count it off from the 1.
1....2 then drop it (Don't this...) on the 3. This works for me. Kick, snare, drop.
dj_craigmac 5:14 AM - 28 April, 2010
Single Ladies by Beyonce gives me trouble. I look Good by Charli Boy when i try to mix the vocal intro. That shit does not come in on beat
the_black_one 5:16 AM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Single Ladies by Beyonce gives me trouble. I look Good by Charli Boy when i try to mix the vocal intro. That shit does not come in on beat

the down beat is on the word "MAMMA"
DJS/R 5:56 AM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:

the "All The" part does not start the bar

So it should count:
"All the single ladies, all the single ladies, all the single ladies, all the single ladies"
______1_______2_______3________4______1
DJS/R 5:57 AM - 28 April, 2010
that came out bad, but you get the point....

You just have to count it in your head, and know that the first word is not always the first downbeat
O.B.1 7:00 AM - 28 April, 2010
just warp them in ableton...
(then you can be more creative because you're not constantly adjusting the pitch)

-but seriously "Din Daa Daa" is a motherfucker to mix!
the_black_one 7:01 AM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
just warp them in ableton...
(then you can be more creative because you're not constantly adjusting the pitch)

-but seriously "Din Daa Daa" is a motherfucker to mix!

snare is actually the downbeat
MikeNicco 1:54 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:

The high hats on this track are 16ths, but start on the 2 instead of the 1. The snares are on the 6 and 14 beat, not the usual 5 and 13.
DJ DisGrace 2:55 PM - 28 April, 2010
Keri Hilson - Turnin Me On

I couldn't even make an edit for this!! Then I found a version with a 4 bar intro.....
Djaward 3:50 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
clipse - grindin'...still haven't figured out where to mix in if you start with the first beat.

I start it on the second snare.

I have trouble with I NEED A GIRL PART II BY P.DIDDY. After Mario wynans part, its like a weird short part.

Another song is JOE BUDDEN PUMP IT UP. The chorus is short.
Audio1 4:25 PM - 28 April, 2010
Im baffled some of yall cant mix the tracks you all posted up... So many ways to mix those in... for the exception of the Moodyman DJ.Mojo posted about, The rest should be a cinch.

Here's a clever tip: USE CUE POINTS! Move the area where you want to mix in / out from.
Audio1 4:28 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Electric feel is a bugger of one to mix and out of so I just avoid it now.
Electric Feel has a 3/4 time signature so that makes it unique. You can go about this track a few ways:

1 - Make yourself an intro version
2 - Download an already existing intro version (DMS, DJ CITY, wherever)
3 - If you have to use the original, What I have done personally is loop 1 bar right before the main vocals kick in. It works to mix in with the volume fader, gradually bringing up the fader to full volume then disengaging the loop and it kicks in directly to the first major vocal of the track.

Electric Feel is a crowd and staff favorite at my Friday night residency. Pretty much anything MGMT is.
Audio1 4:30 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Those of you who have a hard time mixing in songs like In Da Club need to learn to drop, scratch or mix in the song from the first snare. Trust me. This technique is very useful AND it should be part of your arsenal of DJ tools.
Sixxx is right on this... Its all about your timing.
the_black_one 4:32 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

some people have it and some dont....... just follow the beat with your head and make the songs go along with that beat in your head
Steve Dub. 4:36 PM - 28 April, 2010
Here's one for you. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody. ha ha.
Audio1 4:39 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Here's one for you. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody. ha ha.
If you use the original, Yes, That one fluctuates all over the map. Most DJ's use a quantized Intro/Outro version of it.
OB One 4:41 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:

No kidding... Obviously we PLAY those songs on way or another (via the techniques you mentioned)... the thread title is songs that are DIFFICULT TO MIX.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:43 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

No kidding... Obviously we PLAY those songs on way or another (via the techniques you mentioned)... the thread title is songs that are DIFFICULT TO MIX.

+1 - the quote fail
OB One 5:53 PM - 28 April, 2010
Hahahha.... Damn I broke even
djchope 6:07 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Im baffled some of yall cant mix the tracks you all posted up... So many ways to mix those in... for the exception of the Moodyman DJ.Mojo posted about, The rest should be a cinch.

Here's a clever tip: USE CUE POINTS! Move the area where you want to mix in / out from.

its called "Tracks that are difficult to mix in/out" not "Tracks that we CAN"T mix"
of course we are going to find a way around it to mix it using cue point's
Audio1 8:01 PM - 28 April, 2010
Thats the best thing about DJing... Tracks that are difficult to mix... LOL
the_black_one 8:05 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:

do we need a ........"The best thing about Djing is" ?????????
the_black_one 8:06 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

do we need a ........"The best thing about Djing is" discussion ?????????

fixed
dirtyonekanobi 8:11 PM - 28 April, 2010
I got 3 give me fits - Common So far to go; Snoop & Pharell - Beautiful; Nirvana Smells like teen spirit.

+1 for mixing on the snare though. I use that if I have trouble mixing something on the "1" in in my headphones after one or 2 tries, even if I know it should work.
Audio1 8:18 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Snoop & Pharell - Beautiful
I play this in alot of sets... Scratch it in or drop it on the 6th "Oh" before the beat kicks on. LOL
Audio1 8:19 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Nirvana Smells like teen spirit
Again, Original versions will be completely offbeat.... Save the drama and use a quantized version.
dirtyonekanobi 8:39 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Again, Original versions will be completely offbeat.... Save the drama and use a quantized version.

Mos Def! I Ableton'd it a while ago when I had a gig w/a rock band. They sent me a detailed list of Must-Play rock songs, almost all of em needed warping.
Props on the Snoop info - I'm going to try that!
sixxx 8:42 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

some people have it and some dont....... just follow the beat with your head and make the songs go along with that beat in your head

The problem is too many DJ's are learning with extended intros and always learning on dropping songs on the first beat. You should be able to drops songs on just about any part of the song if your timing is right.
DJ Alkemy 8:47 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The problem is too many DJ's are learning with extended intros and always learning on dropping songs on the first beat. You should be able to drops songs on just about any part of the song if your timing is right.

Yeah, some songs you are mentioning in this thread are easy!...I mean come on, Smells Like Teen Spirit?...anyone who cant fit that nicely into a mix needs help...its got a nice little intro where you can just drop it and fade ot the track that is playing. Same with Beautiful, that is so easy...just scratch the "oh oh oh oooh" at the start, you dont need to be a great scratcher to do that.
DJS/R 8:47 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1 Up until 3 months ago I never joined a record pool and never had access to intro's/outro's... It allowed me to get creative with how I mixed songs in and out. Also, the reason I joined was for the remixes not the intro's btw.

IMO. You can have a good set using all intro's/outro's but you can have a GREAT set using the original's. Every song is different and each change is more personal.
agentorange 9:03 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:

WOW! out of all the tracks listed on here. this is the only one i can agree on. i guess i never really took the time to figure out what count it starts on. but yes, this is a thorn in my side.

all the other ones are pretty simple for the most part.

agreed with sixxx and audio1; if it ain't goin', scratch that b*tch in. it's not that hard.

but grindin - even if i scratch it in, it'll sound retarded due to it's opening bar and kick patterns. this one is tough one for me.

if anybody has any ideas on how to do this one, that'll be great. esp since ill follow the original with the remix w sean paul and busta.

but yeah i'd like to see anybody's input on "grindin". keep in mind that opening bar can be disrupting to the dancefloor.
DJUnknown 9:13 PM - 28 April, 2010
^^^Start it on the second snare
Swizzle 9:15 PM - 28 April, 2010
^^^ These songs are all similar..i.e. Grindin', In Da Club, also another one Obie Trice - The Setup. Just mix in on the snare. This would be the equivalent to where you would "Hand Clap" if you were dancing....Not where you would stomp your feet.
agentorange 9:20 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:

if i can start on the 2nd snare then why wouldn't i just start on the 1st kick!!??

cmon. is this what u do?
agentorange 9:20 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
^^^ Just mix in on the snare. This would be the equivalent to where you would "Hand Clap" if you were dancing....Not where you would stomp your feet.

wow. im a dj.... and i did not know that

/sarcasm
DJ Alkemy 9:23 PM - 28 April, 2010
Hardly ever play Grindin' anymore but if I was gonna play it I would loop the sound at the start for maybe the first two seconds...then have a cue point on the first drumbeat, scratch fade out the track that is playing while the Grindin loop plays then after 8 bars bang it in on the first beat....sounds complicated but in my head it sounds simple and that is where I do most of my mixing before I even touch the TT's lol
Swizzle 9:29 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
^^^ Just mix in on the snare. This would be the equivalent to where you would "Hand Clap" if you were dancing....Not where you would stomp your feet.

/sarcasm

Thanks for your sarcasm...you asked a serious question. I gave you a serious answer.

This forum makes me chuckle at times.
agentorange 9:38 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

/sarcasm

Thanks for your sarcasm...you asked a serious question. I gave you a serious answer.

hahahah im saying... it's like youre telling me there's a 4 count to music. i think kick/snare is pretty fundamental to anybody djing. don't chuckle.
agentorange 9:39 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Hardly ever play Grindin' anymore but if I was gonna play it I would loop the sound at the start for maybe the first two seconds...then have a cue point on the first drumbeat, scratch fade out the track that is playing while the Grindin loop plays then after 8 bars bang it in on the first beat....sounds complicated but in my head it sounds simple and that is where I do most of my mixing before I even touch the TT's lol

DING! gotcha. good answer. the neptune sound effect, before the kick starts! loop. blend. fade. unloop. begin song.

word. good format!
DJ Alkemy 9:47 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

DING! gotcha. good answer. the neptune sound effect, before the kick starts! loop. blend. fade. unloop. begin song.

word. good format!

Yeah, but I wouldnt even unloop, just have a cue point right before the first kick and when the loop is near 8 bars tap the cue point to start from the first kick...you basically got exactly what I meant though :-)
Swizzle 9:50 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

/sarcasm

hahahah im saying... it's like youre telling me there's a 4 count to music. i think kick/snare is pretty fundamental to anybody djing. don't chuckle.

If the 2nd part of my response was elementary to you or not the detailed answer you were looking for, then I hope you find the response that will help you with that track.

It would have been an A$$ move for me to say, "Find a record pool with a ready-to-go Intro for you."

The orginal comes in with Pharrell saying, "Yo, I go by the name of....."
Swizzle 9:54 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:

i think kick/snare is pretty fundamental to anybody djing.

Now you and I both know that it's not always the case on this forum.

Looks like you found your answer to you original question.
the_black_one 9:55 PM - 28 April, 2010
if you dont have timing watch this! Watchwww.youtube.com
the_black_one 9:56 PM - 28 April, 2010
^^^^ start at 4:25
Jordan Laws 10:03 PM - 28 April, 2010
If your dope, nothing is hard to mix in and out of
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:09 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
If your on dope, nothing is hard to mix in and out of

ya tweakers got it liek that
spiker6750 10:47 PM - 28 April, 2010
i always have trouble with gimmie the light for some reason
DJ Skitz (USA) 10:50 PM - 28 April, 2010
Mos def, Mr. Eon, Madd Skillz -B boy Document, and Busta Rhymes - Dangerous.

These always gave me trouble. Then I realized they actually mix really well together because they have the same off beat snares.
djchope 10:51 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
If your dope, nothing is hard to mix in and out of

is it sometimes hard to mix stuff, yes
can i do it,yes

thats if your talking about my other post haha :P
Im not going to lie, when cue'ing up a song on the other deck i do take a couple of seconds listening to it..i struggle..but can i pull it off yep.

or do you mean trainwrecking because you can sure mix in and out like that easily haha
DJS/R 10:51 PM - 28 April, 2010
Why do I feel if as though this thread is quickly turning into the older DJ's teaching the newer DJ's how to mix?
the_black_one 10:53 PM - 28 April, 2010
lol @ dj/r
djchope 10:55 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Why do I feel if as though this thread is quickly turning into the older DJ's teaching the newer DJ's how to mix?

it's not, we all struggle with some tracks..im not trippin
djchope 10:56 PM - 28 April, 2010
just because your older does not mean your better, its most likely you are but not really
haha :D
Audio1 11:02 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Mos def, Mr. Eon, Madd Skillz -B boy Document, and Busta Rhymes - Dangerous.

These always gave me trouble. Then I realized they actually mix really well together because they have the same off beat snares.
BBOY DOCUMENT (The Original) starts with some beat stutters then the rewind sample comes in (4 bar intro). Super simple to mix into... youtu.be Check the intro. 2 other places to start a mix from for this song is 0:22 & 0:27. Both are 8 beats each. If you start at 0:22 with a cue point, You can mix in 16 beats into a mix. It really depends on how you DJ tho. The beat stutters at the intro make it great for beat juggles and back spins.
Audio1 11:03 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Mos def, Mr. Eon, Madd Skillz -B boy Document
If its the BBOY Document '99 version, That one is simple to mix into. youtu.be
Audio1 11:06 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Dont think of it that way. DJing was more challenging when you werent staring at a laptop screen. LOL
the_black_one 11:07 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Dont think of it that way. DJing was more challenging when you werent staring at a laptop screen. LOL

alot more challenging!
DJ Shameless 11:07 PM - 28 April, 2010
i got caught by "I Love Rock n Roll"
when the second bar starts, theres an extra kick in there and it throws ur sync out. but if u start with the bar before the vocal starts, u all good.
djchope 11:14 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

alot more challenging!

yeah thats what i have herd a lot of times actually, i started off dj'ing using software
static.commentcamarche.net
hahahaha i know
then i move to serato..i found it difficult..i did learn to mix by eat..no waveform starring
dj's now do have it easy, but good for yall..that means yall have it easier now and yall could be better, than the new cats including myself
djchope 11:16 PM - 28 April, 2010
*ear

:P
the_black_one 11:17 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

alot more challenging!

yeah thats what i have herd a lot of times actually, i started off dj'ing using software
static.commentcamarche.net
hahahaha i know
then i move to serato..i found it difficult..i did learn to mix by eat..no waveform starring
dj's now do have it easy, but good for yall..that means yall have it easier now and yall could be better, than the new cats including myself

wow..... a humble n00b!!!! one in a million . good for you!
djchope 11:23 PM - 28 April, 2010
haha i don't think im a n00b anymore! hahaha
:P
i can actually do what a dj is supposed to do, i don't have mic skills thats about it...but ehh im not tripping about that..im working on them
dirtyonekanobi 2:48 AM - 29 April, 2010
Quote:
Yeah, some songs you are mentioning in this thread are easy!...I mean come on, Smells Like Teen Spirit?...anyone who cant fit that nicely into a mix needs help...its got a nice little intro where you can just drop it and fade ot the track that is playing. Same with Beautiful, that is so easy...just scratch the "oh oh oh oooh" at the start, you dont need to be a great scratcher to do that.

I didn't say I COULDN'T mix it homeboy, or that I HAVEN'T done it successfully, I said it was DIFFICULT. Maybe I should have added - "for me" or "at first" to the end of my post? To each his own - a lot of people find Dilla trax hard to mix, and I'm good w/those, no problem. Just gotta match the metronome in your head with the song you're working with. Since we all move to a different rhythm, some will find certain beats difficult... cool?
DJ Alkemy 2:52 AM - 29 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't say I COULDN'T mix it homeboy, or that I HAVEN'T done it successfully, I said it was DIFFICULT. Maybe I should have added - "for me" or "at first" to the end of my post? To each his own - a lot of people find Dilla trax hard to mix, and I'm good w/those, no problem. Just gotta match the metronome in your head with the song you're working with. Since we all move to a different rhythm, some will find certain beats difficult... cool?

I suppose so, because your right...I HATE mixing Dilla tracks lol
dirtyonekanobi 3:02 AM - 29 April, 2010
@ Alkemy - I was just typing this after re-reading my post. I think I came off a lil agressive and that wasn't my intent. Glad you took no offense by it! I'm just saying that everyone has their own rhythm. The Ztrip video posted above talks about that a bit - finding your soul/style.

Dilla tracks are fun homie! They are 95% snare-mixes though lol
DJ Alkemy 3:34 AM - 29 April, 2010
Quote:
@ Alkemy - I was just typing this after re-reading my post. I think I came off a lil agressive and that wasn't my intent. Glad you took no offense by it! I'm just saying that everyone has their own rhythm. The Ztrip video posted above talks about that a bit - finding your soul/style.

Dilla tracks are fun homie! They are 95% snare-mixes though lol

Its all good :-)...yeah, stuff that I find easier to mix might be harder for other DJ's, its only cause I am comfortable in my scratching that stuff like Beautiful is pretty easy for me (not saying you cant cut but some DJ's earlier in the thread mentioned it). I love Dilla but mixing his tracks with regular beats can be challenging. I ALWAYS try and start on the snare with Dilla cause his beats were purposefuly off beat at times,think he did it to mess with us heh heh
DJUnknown 3:44 PM - 29 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

if i can start on the 2nd snare then why wouldn't i just start on the 1st kick!!??

cmon. is this what u do?

I don't see the issue, I start on the second snare because who knows what they/the Neptuenes did at the start and I'm too lazy/couldn't be bothered to figure it out. So I adjust the point in the other song that I'm mixing into (the spot that I would normally mix into regularly) to compensate for the fact that I'm starting on the second snare. I guess you could start on the first snare but I do what works for me and sounds good to me. My apologies for the vague answer that was not helpful to you.
spiker6750 3:10 AM - 14 July, 2010
anyone find "the way you make me feel" by MJ hard as hell to mix?
O.B.1 3:43 AM - 14 July, 2010
^^^probably because it has a 3/4 swing (shuffle) to it, instead of a straight ahead 4/4 time...
-it will still mix with a 4/4 though...
spiker6750 3:45 AM - 14 July, 2010
really? any songs in particular you use around it?... i get a lot of requests for this song but i never seem to find a nice place to drop it
O.B.1 6:49 AM - 14 July, 2010
that is entirely up to you...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:04 PM - 14 July, 2010
RAPPER'S DELIGHT? REALLY? No....no way....

In Da Club????

Oh, man...

I know I'm not perfect, and can slip on live drummer disco jawns, but those are straight up and down cuts...

Maybe I'm missing something

***continues reading****
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:05 PM - 14 July, 2010
Quote:

Rappers Delight is an easy one now that you have Serato and you can loop. Also, you can echo out or use one of the many transitions that can be pulled off when you want to flip floors but you don't necessarily have to change the BPM.

Ok, so it's not just me....lol.

BTW, I wish I could "talk" music, like "on the 3/8 beat" or whatever it is y'all say...

Sounds cool.
R-Tistic 7:31 AM - 15 July, 2010
Quote:
really? any songs in particular you use around it?... i get a lot of requests for this song but i never seem to find a nice place to drop it

Eh, the only one that has that same kinda BPM and time signature that I play is Luther Vandross "Having a party"
a DJ 4:51 PM - 15 July, 2010
Yall are trippin.. with songs like Sugarhill gang Rapper's Delight, or anything with a shitload of verses, just count 4 bars/8bars. Shouldnt be hard, just wait for the 1 beat. Sometimes you lose count, then just wait for the next verse. Plus with Serato you can look at the screen and easily tell if it's 4 bars or 8 bars left til the next change (Ok maybe not as easy with a big song like sugar hill gang)

In Da Club, like everyone said, easy just use the snare. If you wanna drop it on the first kick and make your life complicated, its on a 1/16th beat just figure it out by using the instrumental or by singing it in your head to the beat.

And whats so hard about the Clipse song? Especially with an instrumental it should be cakey cookies. Just scratch in the 2nd snare, or if you wanna do it right just learn what offbeat it's on.

This is why people say we're not musicians, yall are complaining about simply dropping a song on a 1/16th note. Do you know how many notes musicans play on 16th notes? lol. Look there's only 3 different possibilities for offbeats.. 16th note right after the beat, upbeat (easy), or 16th note right before the next beat. Hum/beatbox/tap these to yourself. I mean I'm not gonna lie 16th note off beats are harder than simple upbeats and downbeats, but it's not THAT hard. If you can tap the beat to Tell Me When To Go you can do all the offbeats.
dj_soo 4:58 PM - 15 July, 2010
it's amazing how many DJs don't have the basic skills of counting bars and beats...

I especially find it amazing how many EDM DJs I've met who can't understand the concept that not every tune will have a clean, 8 or 16 bar intro...

I'd like to make a non-4/4 mix sometime tho... just need to dig through my music and find some appropriate tunes...
a DJ 5:02 PM - 15 July, 2010
I came off a lil harsh in my post.. I'm not denying these songs are all difficult and some annoying, but some of yall seem a little too clueless
spiker6750 5:26 PM - 15 July, 2010
nah i would definitely agree Rappers Delight and In Da Club shouldn't be a problem if you just count it out...but something about the MJ song just gets the best of me everytime
FunkyRob 6:11 PM - 15 July, 2010
The OG version of Rappers Delight has the bongo break from the beginning repeat at 4:39. I used to always try mixing the next song at that point. It was always a struggle. As far as I know the song didn't "sample" good times. They had musicians come in the studio and re-create it. So it's probably that old problem of 70's tracks using live drummers.

One that really used to mess me up back in the days was the LP version to Funkytown by Lipps Inc. The very first beat is a kick drum that plays by itself for a few beats, but after the snare comes it off by 1 beat. After a long time, I realized that I needed to start on the 2nd beat and ignore the 1st one.
dj_soo 6:50 PM - 15 July, 2010
^ stuff like that is so much easier now with cue points...
DJFUNKMIKE 12:57 AM - 29 July, 2010
i just find it strange,because ever since "in da club" came out way back, i had made it as my counting tool on any kind of genra that i play...its kinda hard to explain,but let me just put it this way,everything just falls into place....

*shake sha- sha shake that ass girl* hehe
DJFUNKMIKE 1:01 AM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
i just find it strange,because ever since "in da club" came out way back, i had made it as my counting tool on any kind of genra that i play...its kinda hard to explain,but let me just put it this way,everything just falls into place....

haha! my bad its the other 50 cent track, "Disco Inferno" bwahaha....
ninos 2:01 AM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mos Def! I Ableton'd it a while ago when I had a gig w/a rock band. They sent me a detailed list of Must-Play rock songs, almost all of em needed warping.
Props on the Snoop info - I'm going to try that!

were the hell can you get the quantized versions? lol
dj_soo 2:06 AM - 29 July, 2010
you can make it yourself.

either that or just learn to pitch ride - digital has made people too lazy and afraid of taking chances.

I remember I used to blend all sorts of rock with breaks and hip hop and now people just play quantized edits with 8-bar intros.
Bigga Bounce Ent 2:41 AM - 29 July, 2010
I find the oasis track "wonderwall" hard to mix. I can never get it right, i think it drifts a lil or something
a DJ 3:09 AM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:

Yeah this actually really helps. Use a song that you know hella well to get the rhythm right. And then try to "play"/"sing" it in your head. Or since you all think reggaeton is so simple and the beat is always the same and so easy, then you use that so you can hit the off notes. lol (this is not direct to you but to all the DJs who complain about reggaeton and then now complain about not being able to drop tracks on the right note lol)
Billy18bm 3:35 AM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
If you can tap the beat to Tell Me When To Go you can do all the offbeats.

i've always had trouble w/ 1/16th but this seriously helps.
O.B.1 4:49 AM - 29 July, 2010
^^^ also, maybe imagine a drummer playing it...

(I play the drums and it helps me alot...)
Dispo.RKS 7:30 AM - 29 July, 2010
Mike Posner-Cooler than me?? Honestly i've got dj edits but none seem to fit the bpm, i like the song a lil, but havent even had the time to mess with it to get it in a mix right
e.rich 9:13 AM - 29 July, 2010
the only way to figure it out is to try it. when i first started dj'ing i used to butcher "T.R.O.Y" every time i wanted to blend it. i'd flub it, one or two dj's in the crowd would scowl and i'd go on with my night. take chances. if you mess it up, you mess it up. learn from the mistake and move on. i used to be SO scared when i first started out but taking the chance and pushing yourself to not rely on the simple 8 bar premade edits will make you a much better dj in the long run. i think i was playing clubs for 2 years before i realized that you don't blend "poison" :-)
DJFUNKMIKE 12:19 PM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah this actually really helps. Use a song that you know hella well to get the rhythm right. And then try to "play"/"sing" it in your head. Or since you all think reggaeton is so simple and the beat is always the same and so easy, then you use that so you can hit the off notes. lol (this is not direct to you but to all the DJs who complain about reggaeton and then now complain about not being able to drop tracks on the right note lol)

Haha! exactly +1
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:20 PM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha! exactly +1

the guy who taught me to spin taught me that trick with ushers Yeah
Billy18bm 3:33 PM - 29 July, 2010
that cooler than me track in serato always gets tagged wrong. it comes up like 89 but it's really like 129
Dispo.RKS 4:39 PM - 29 July, 2010
Yea its gotta be tagged wrong or somethin but i dont play it out that often anyways to i think what i've done in the past is scratch in "If i could write you a song" Vocals while the last beat from the other song drops and just start it from there
Voyager529 9:02 PM - 30 July, 2010
Outkast's "Hey Ya" has always been a pain to beat mix 'cuz it's got two extra beats at the end of every fourth measure. About the only way I've managed to do it is to do a quick beatmix into it before the extra beats.

Joey
djchope 9:09 PM - 30 July, 2010
Quote:
Outkast's "Hey Ya" has always been a pain to beat mix 'cuz it's got two extra beats at the end of every fourth measure. About the only way I've managed to do it is to do a quick beatmix into it before the extra beats.

Joey

i scratch the "1,2,3" part in. makes it way easier
typerel 9:49 PM - 30 July, 2010
Daft Punk - Indo Silver Club
Watchwww.youtube.com

I'm sure if I really just sat down and figured where to mix in correctly, it's not that hard...but who's got time for that
Dj Shamann 10:14 PM - 30 July, 2010
Quote:
Those of you who have a hard time mixing in songs like.

Quote:
Im baffled some of yall cant mix the tracks you all posted up...

Quote:

I know I'm not perfect, and can slip on live drummer disco jawns, but those are straight up and down cuts...

I'm at a loss for words reading this thread.
DJ Ritmo 11:01 PM - 30 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Real talk sixxx. You guys on the board should always be able to find a way to mix a song in. There a plethora of transitions available from scratching to delay echo outs to turntable wind downs, etc you guys get the point.
dj cubicle 1:05 AM - 31 July, 2010
Quote:
Real talk sixxx. You guys on the board should always be able to find a way to mix a song in. There a plethora of transitions available from scratching to delay echo outs to turntable wind downs, etc you guys get the point.

Hmmm, I don't really see how any of those involve "mixing".
dj cubicle 1:07 AM - 31 July, 2010
I suppose I could just play an explosion sample as well.
Res-Q 10:59 AM - 31 July, 2010
Or just get on the mic if you're too lazy or cant mix and just shout "how you feelin' Paris/New York/LA" and drop the next track. No brainer.
MelonHead 11:36 AM - 31 July, 2010
try mixing Studio 54 oldies stuff (some of you young'ns are prbbly scratchin' your heads)... most are live band recordings... drummer sometimes slows down and speeds up again...

thanks to waveforms...:)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:19 PM - 31 July, 2010
Quote:
try mixing Studio 54 oldies stuff (some of you young'ns are prbbly scratchin' your heads)... most are live band recordings... drummer sometimes slows down and speeds up again...

thanks to waveforms...:)

Here's a link to some Studio 54 mixes

www.djjohnnym.com
DJ Alkemy 4:54 PM - 31 July, 2010
Quote:
the only way to figure it out is to try it. when i first started dj'ing i used to butcher "T.R.O.Y" every time i wanted to blend it. i'd flub it, one or two dj's in the crowd would scowl and i'd go on with my night. take chances. if you mess it up, you mess it up. learn from the mistake and move on. i used to be SO scared when i first started out but taking the chance and pushing yourself to not rely on the simple 8 bar premade edits will make you a much better dj in the long run. i think i was playing clubs for 2 years before i realized that you don't blend "poison" :-)

My favourite track of all time. What I do is drop it from the start of the sample but make sure the track Im dropping it over has the right beat tempo and no vocals in that certain part...let it ride for 8-16 bars and just scratch fade out and let "I reminisce for a sec...." drop.
djdalite 4:48 AM - 1 August, 2010
i love rock and roll - joan jett
O.B.1 9:16 AM - 1 August, 2010
Quote:

yep, definitely some odd timing going on in the chorus.
(I just keep hitting the cue point of the next song early and make it fit with Joan Jett's off time feel...)
nik39 3:10 PM - 2 August, 2010
Quote:
clipse - grindin

+1

Slum Village - Climax
nik39 3:11 PM - 2 August, 2010
(and I mean mixing without any loops/other funky digital trickery ;) )
DJDaveOtt 3:42 PM - 2 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

yep, definitely some odd timing going on in the chorus.
(I just keep hitting the cue point of the next song early and make it fit with Joan Jett's off time feel...)

I was just gonna say this one...The kick and snare switch at 16 beats on the original version..
DJ Shady Lady 9:56 PM - 2 August, 2010
maybe im retarded but what gave me problems (and isnt really as popular now) was give it to me....timbaland/timberlake. it was hard for me to find what the "1" is until im halfway thru the 1st verse. or maybe thats just me
a DJ 10:06 PM - 2 August, 2010
I think the 1 is the kick before the snare that's right before she starts her verse.
DJ Tecniq 4:03 AM - 8 September, 2010
This threads great cause alot of times i'll go through my serato list and say in my head "fuck that's a hard song to mix" but i mix it anyways cause i love the challenge. Frankly that's the only way to achieve the master of mixing.
DJ Tecniq 4:21 AM - 8 September, 2010
When im mixing and songs just aren't matching up, that's when i use bend up or bend down. best feature serato ever made!
DJFUNKMIKE 12:25 PM - 8 September, 2010
Quote:

My trick to that,is let go of the the first beat of "in d club" just before the kick of the one that ur going to mix in with....I hope it make sense,believe me its gonna fall into the right beatmix....always works for me...^^,
djchriscruz 1:02 PM - 8 September, 2010
Ghosttown DJ's - My Boo. I usually just play a version with an intro beat but I like the original version better. The original is more dramatic and gets a bigger reaction than the intro'd version. Sometimes on those nights when I feel like I'm really killing it and nothing can go wrong I drop the original but I can never drop it as smoothly as I'd like to
DJ Alkemy 4:04 PM - 8 September, 2010
Quote:
Ghosttown DJ's - My Boo. I usually just play a version with an intro beat but I like the original version better. The original is more dramatic and gets a bigger reaction than the intro'd version. Sometimes on those nights when I feel like I'm really killing it and nothing can go wrong I drop the original but I can never drop it as smoothly as I'd like to

Thats a simple one really. Just echo fade (or scratch fade) the track playing out as soon as you drop the slow bass intro on my boo. When the fade makes way and people realise what track is coming in they go wild.
DJ Tecniq 2:36 AM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Thats a simple one really. Just echo fade (or scratch fade) the track playing out as soon as you drop the slow bass intro on my boo. When the fade makes way and people realise what track is coming in they go wild.
With that track i usually have to scratch the first bass part and then fix the pitch in the right areas. If you set a cue point at the beginning that track will go all over the place because of the high & low bass tones. Soon as the bass tones change up that's when u adjust the pitch.
Concept 6:39 AM - 9 September, 2010
For me its always been Robin Thicke "Wanna Love You Girl" I swear the beat is off, but i love that track.
djlj 11:46 PM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:

I'm a bit late to the party here but I remember having nightmares with that track until I got a bit better on coming on on the "ee" of the third beat.

1 ee and ah
2 ee and ah
3 (first kick drum)
Lol 9:44 PM - 16 April, 2015
Moodymann - Third Track

Where's the first beat...??

Where do I drop it?

Dropping it at the start of the record leaves it out of sync...

Even after the darker shade of vinyl (The intro), there's no distinctive first beat... I've tried dropping it on 2 & that also, & it's still out of sync! Yet I've heard it DJ mixed in a full vinyl mix.......

HELP...???
R-Tistic 10:39 PM - 16 April, 2015
I've figured out how to mix almost every song I play, but there's some that are just harder to get to.

When I first realized that I could mix in "Hey ya" from "Happy" my head almost exploded.

Same when I realized I could bring in Prince "Let's go crazy" from Jackson 5 "ABC" at the part when they go "Shake it, shake it baby!"
Dj Mcwhite 3:54 AM - 17 April, 2015
Michael Jackson - PYT has always been hard for me to mix out, usually just end up echoing out.

Earth Wind & Fire - September is kinda tricky too
Dj Mcwhite 3:59 AM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:

For this song I just cut after the first 8 (might be 16) or so beats or just loop it.
DJ Reflex 9:13 AM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

For this song I just cut after the first 8 (might be 16) or so beats or just loop it.

Barbangerz remix... done.
Col1990 1:34 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Michael Jackson - PYT has always been hard for me to mix out, usually just end up echoing out.

PYT gets me too
R-Tistic 6:47 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

PYT gets me too

It's because it's 4/4, but uses like a six bar phrasing.

Even more confusing is Slum Village "Get dis money" which uses like 7 bar phrasing.
DJ Reflex 9:29 PM - 17 April, 2015
PYT can be looped 4/4 right after the main chorus (after the "Uh") to make it easier to mix out of.
Col1990 1:33 AM - 18 April, 2015
Thanks for letting me know I normally just drop the song in or avoid it lol
Col1990 1:40 AM - 18 April, 2015
i meant to put fade the MJ out then drop the next track in or avoid it
Katana 10:07 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:

I've never been able to figure this one out, any ideas? I'm tired of trainwrecking it lol
DJ Reflex 11:22 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I've never been able to figure this one out, any ideas? I'm tired of trainwrecking it lol

Again... Barbangerz remix.

I'm not normally a fan of all the redrums, remixes, re-edits and the like, but there are a few that just seem to work. September, Celebration, I Love Rock N Roll, Up Town Girl, and Jump (VH) are good. The same song, just added kick and intro/outro beats for mixing.

Also, looping a 4/4 beat section of the song works well too. I do this with Girls-Girls-Girls (Motley Crue) with the guitar riff in the beginning. After the first verse and chorus, just cue back to the 4/4 beat loop and mix out. Hits 'em hard on the dance floor with a quick mix of a classic 80's tune.
Col1990 1:56 PM - 16 July, 2015
Where is the downbeat on the new disclosure track holding on? At the 1st verse i have the down beat set on the word love but not sure if its right
DJ Remy USA 3:31 PM - 16 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

PYT gets me too

I loop the end of PYT pitch it down and drop the kanye song good life which uses the sample of PYT. Takes a lil practice, you can also do tone play with the end of PYT and drum it to the same tempo as good life by Kanye then just drop the Kanye on the "Like We always do it this time"
DJ Remy USA 3:33 PM - 16 July, 2015
My hardest is Joe Arroyo - Rebelion
Its Salsa and I cannot ever mix out of that tune can always mix in but I normally change genres after this tune cant get out of it.
R-Tistic 5:03 PM - 16 July, 2015
For PYT, I tend to play this Jam Session version afterwards just to mix it up and let the beat breathe - soundcloud.com
d:raf 1:17 AM - 1 August, 2015
Warning: "cheating" ahead...

Step 1: Edit the beatgrid

Step 2: Make sure the tempo is correct.

Step 3: Go to the first vocal (or the first bar of the main part of the tune). Hopefully you should have a cue point there already.

Step 4: Clear the beatgrid, and reset it at that point.

When you go back to the beginning of the song, you'll see the negative numbers on the beatgrid, essentially giving you a bar-by-bar countdown to the "main event".

Apologies if this has been posted before...
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:23 AM - 1 August, 2015
@d:raf

I use that method too with songs that have unusual structure eg 13b intro or verses.

Well I play afrobeats and there was this craze last year called "Shoki" and they made many songs using the Shoki drum pattern. You know the song is 128bpm by tapping or counting, even serato knows but for my life I can just mix in or out of the tracks.

Kesh Shoki - youtu.be

PSquare - youtu.be

Another difficult one for me is 50 cent - In Da Club. I've giving up on it already. I just drop it on "go go go go"
DJ Reflex 4:42 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
Another difficult one for me is 50 cent - In Da Club. I've giving up on it already. I just drop it on "go go go go"

Yeah - I gotta set up an 8 bar intro loop for this one on the down beat.

On a side note... I typically mix In Da Club into "Son Of A Preacher Man" to kick off my hip-hop set. The old folks are jammin' to some Dusty Springfield when the hook for In Da Club rolls in for the younger crowd. Gets 'em every time!
DJ Remy USA 6:38 AM - 2 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah - I gotta set up an 8 bar intro loop for this one on the down beat.

On a side note... I typically mix In Da Club into "Son Of A Preacher Man" to kick off my hip-hop set. The old folks are jammin' to some Dusty Springfield when the hook for In Da Club rolls in for the younger crowd. Gets 'em every time!

the first snare is your friend line them up
Katana 8:37 PM - 25 August, 2015
Anyone figured out "Hey Ya- Outkast" apart from scratching in the "1,2,3" at the beginning? Coz even when I scratch in the 1,2,3 i still have trouble mixing out of it lol
R-Tistic 8:50 PM - 25 August, 2015
Quote:
Anyone figured out "Hey Ya- Outkast" apart from scratching in the "1,2,3" at the beginning? Coz even when I scratch in the 1,2,3 i still have trouble mixing out of it lol

All I know is that it fits perfect with "Happy" and even songs like "Land of 1000 dances" LOL
DJ Matty Stiles 5:55 AM - 26 August, 2015
September no need for that beat grid stuff - count in your head. It's really simple. Put a cue point 8 bars before "do you remember". DONE
Owl G 8:48 AM - 26 August, 2015
Quote:
Even more confusing is Slum Village "Get dis money" which uses like 7 bar phrasing.

YES. I was always thinking...what the hell am I doing wrong?
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:53 AM - 26 August, 2015
Finally solved the "50cent - In Da Club" conundrum, yippee.
Even the extended intro versions i downloaded from pools didnt do the intro right.
Such a crazy beat and still works!
DJ Remy USA 12:02 AM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
Even the extended intro versions i downloaded from pools didnt do the intro right.

use the first snare and drop it on the 2.....one and two and three and four. drop between the "and two" on the snare if you get what I mean
djnak 3:19 AM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

use the first snare and drop it on the 2.....one and two and three and four. drop between the "and two" on the snare if you get what I mean

+ 1 the snare is definitely your friend on this track....

Quote:

Jack Millz made a Extended Video edit of this . his redrum is on point and keeps the original flow sound..... Theres a few others that he has reworked that kinda have that wierd hard to mix baseline...

They are all on SmashVision.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:50 PM - 29 August, 2015
Yeah. That's what I did. Used to be fooled by the first beat, but it just doesn't seat well in the blend. That snare drop works.

Thanks
Katana 9:51 PM - 31 August, 2015
Quote:
@d:raf

I use that method too with songs that have unusual structure eg 13b intro or verses.

Well I play afrobeats and there was this craze last year called "Shoki" and they made many songs using the Shoki drum pattern. You know the song is 128bpm by tapping or counting, even serato knows but for my life I can just mix in or out of the tracks.

Kesh Shoki - youtu.be

PSquare - youtu.be

Marv, i totally feel you on the Afrobeats. Dude, how do you find any decent sounding files for those songs? Getting a 320 or even a 256kbps file is almost impossible! To the point where mixing from an afrobeats song back to hiphop, rnb etc the sound quality difference is clearly noticeable. It's even worse of you're playing video
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:12 PM - 31 August, 2015
@katana not wanting to derail this thread...I buy on iTunes/Amazon. Plus i still buy CDs when they release albums

There is an Afrobeats thread on the forum be sure to track it.
DJ Matty Stiles 3:01 PM - 1 September, 2015
While on this topic what are some of the ways yall mix inner circle - sweat?
reif99 12:12 AM - 10 July, 2016
Wu Tang C.R.E.A.M

Ideas for mixing in and out or redrum anyone?
O.B.1 6:39 PM - 18 July, 2016
Hey Ya - Outkast is tricky due to not being straight forward 4 count measures.
DJ Remix Detroit 7:34 PM - 18 July, 2016
Camp Lo - Luchini
R-Tistic 8:06 PM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:

It drops in perfectly with "Happy" but can't really blend em
eugguy 9:48 PM - 18 July, 2016
"Sometimes...the most difficult track is the one that is not there." Me Fothermucker.
Ronsherick Dumas 10:43 PM - 18 July, 2016
Outkast "Whole World" is tricky to mix
djnak 3:45 AM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

It drops in perfectly with "Happy" but can't really blend em

did that one a few dozen times in my lounge spots lol lol
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:32 AM - 19 July, 2016
Happy, Hey Ya, Shake it Off

Thats my trinity right there.

Especially those nights with loads of Bachelorettes girls in the bar.
DJ Remy USA 1:37 PM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:

Mine to through some Ting Tings on next I mean if it's a Top 40 crowd
Antonio Essex 4:09 PM - 19 July, 2016
I fuck heavy with the neptunes and a lot of the tracks are syncopated. Especially the N.E.R.D. songs. When I have a few beers me and im playing a mixed crowd I'll drop Tool "stinkfist" because it has a nice groove, but the song is off beat after a while so I have to ride the pitch/jogwheel
R-Tistic 6:32 PM - 27 July, 2016
Quote:

I've argued about the Time Signature on there. Some folks said it's 3/4, some say it's 6/4, some say it's 4/4 with a shuffle beat like Latch and The way you make me feel.
O.B.1 6:40 PM - 27 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I've argued about the Time Signature on there. Some folks said it's 3/4, some say it's 6/4, some say it's 4/4 with a shuffle beat like Latch and The way you make me feel.

"Latch" and "The Way You Make Me Feel" have a 6/8 time signature or fast 3/4 time signature.
DJ Remy USA 5:14 PM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Latch" and "The Way You Make Me Feel" have a 6/8 time signature or fast 3/4 time signature.

I would disagree and say Latch is 4/4 and Ive had this argument before.
O.B.1 6:49 PM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The kick drum is 4 on the floor, but the notes between each kick are in groups of 3. Try to count it like 1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 2 - 3 - etc. and even go as far as think about how you might scratch over it. Or we can just agree to disagree...

music has rules that are sometimes meant to be broken
DJ Ravien 7:24 PM - 28 July, 2016
According to Guy Lawrence - "We just wanted to make a song in 6/8, in that time signature. You know, the swung, triplet-y kind of sound. There's hardly any other timing in dance music than 4/4, and all we wanted to do is just make a track in 6/8. That's how it started."
DJ Reflex 12:05 AM - 29 July, 2016
Not that you'd ever mix to it, but "Possum Kingdom" by The Toadies has a funky beat. Kinda like a 5/4 blend.
DJ Remy USA 1:04 AM - 29 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The kick drum is 4 on the floor, but the notes between each kick are in groups of 3. Try to count it like 1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 2 - 3 - etc. and even go as far as think about how you might scratch over it. Or we can just agree to disagree...

fair
DJ Remy USA 1:10 AM - 29 July, 2016
Im pretty music savy myself I wouldnt Im Stevie Wonder but I understand music theory and all that other intricacies involved, however I didnt think because the notes strike off beat that it changes my entire time signature of the song cause I count it and 4/4 and it still works out. The notes hit where the triplet would hit but they are not playing triplet notes if that makes sense.
slimmjimm 1:30 AM - 29 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Oooh, I'm stealing the Ting Tings, didn't even cross my mind.

There's a complete white girl power mix consisting of Happy, Hey Ya, Shake It Off, Mickey and Girlfriend that has mystic powers if done right for the right crowd.
O.B.1 5:30 PM - 2 August, 2016
Pink Floydd - Money

It has a 7/4 time which is very awkward to mix, unless you throw an extra note like hit the one twice after 7 resulting in it coming in on the 1 after 8 notes which in turn allows for mixing with a regular 4 or 8 count beat if that makes any sense.

Also a helpful hint when counting music is to count seven as "sev" for obvious reasons.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:12 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Also a helpful hint when counting music is to count seven as "sev" for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Quote:

The kick drum is 4 on the floor, but the notes between each kick are in groups of 3. Try to count it like 1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 2 - 3 - etc.

Too deep for me but I just listened to Latch - 4/4 kick but I see the melody is in 3's - interesting - never consciously noticed that
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:13 PM - 2 August, 2016
Oops quote fail ^^^
d:raf 6:26 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Latch

Reminds me Freaky Chakra's "Blacklight Fantasy" from a while back...

Watchwww.youtube.com
LoLyfe 4:37 PM - 13 August, 2016
funny I found this because I also find Hey Ya - Outkast a bitch to mix but I use a mash-up with Shake It Off now.

I have a short 80-ish bpm crate for weddings that if you guys would add to it what would you include?

Crate has:
Happy - Pharrell
Hey-Ya / Shake it Off - Outkast / Taylor S
Dear Future Husband - Meghan T
Dance with me tonight - Olly M
Mickey -Toni Basil
That's not my name - Ting Tings
nik39 12:12 PM - 15 August, 2016
Quote:
I have a short 80-ish bpm crate for weddings that if you guys would add to it what would you include?

What does that have to do with this thread's topic?
LoLyfe 2:27 PM - 15 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

What does that have to do with this thread's topic?

nik39 - you are 100000% correct. I started reading thru most of the responses and got caught up in the change of topic. I was putting together a small crate for an opening set and realized I hated the way I was throwing in the Outkast - Hey Ya track so I did a search and came across this post. While reading thru how other people are mixing it the same was as me I saw this post (quoted below) and my thought process switched over. Sorry for crossing beams.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's a complete white girl power mix consisting of Happy, Hey Ya, Shake It Off, Mickey and Girlfriend that has mystic powers if done right for the right crowd.
AndrewRivas 5:23 PM - 8 September, 2016
I'm shocked that this thread has been around since 2010 and all the trouble people have with Outkast songs that no one mentioned "International Players Anthem" and Andre 3000's 24 bar verse where he is bouncing between styles of flows with it being a long verse with no drums. Up until recently I always just skipped the 3k part and just back counted 1 for the drums into UGK.
Puggy 5:51 PM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:

September is not quantized to the beat because of live recording
Puggy 5:57 PM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LMFAOOOOO
Ollie 8:55 PM - 8 September, 2016
Run DMCs Peter Piper starting at the vocal intro.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:08 AM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:

I think the "Peter" starts on the 2 - you have to count the barely heard "NOW" (as the 1)?
Puggy 3:19 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:

I always thought the 1 was on the Piper
AndrewRivas 5:33 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

It definitely is.
Puggy 5:38 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It definitely is.

you don't even need to count it, you can feel it musically in your soul when you hear it lol
R-Tistic 6:28 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
I'm shocked that this thread has been around since 2010 and all the trouble people have with Outkast songs that no one mentioned "International Players Anthem" and Andre 3000's 24 bar verse where he is bouncing between styles of flows with it being a long verse with no drums. Up until recently I always just skipped the 3k part and just back counted 1 for the drums into UGK.

Nahhh, you just have to drop it from the top. Andre's verse is amazing and it builds into the hypeness of the drums dropping in with Pimp. It may just depend on the crowd...most crowds I have love Andre's verse and rap the entire thing, and just vibe out and prepare for the bounce that comes in with Pimp's verse.

It's essentially the same for Meek "Dreams and nightmares" except Andre's build up is better.
Puggy 7:05 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Nahhh, you just have to drop it from the top. Andre's verse is amazing and it builds into the hypeness of the drums dropping in with Pimp. It may just depend on the crowd...most crowds I have love Andre's verse and rap the entire thing, and just vibe out and prepare for the bounce that comes in with Pimp's verse.

It's essentially the same for Meek "Dreams and nightmares" except Andre's build up is better.

I would scratch the hell out of that first SO from Andre 3 stacks and bring it in with his verse
Puggy 7:07 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

The SO is also o the 4 count of the beat before the downbeat comes in on the 1 with the horns, you can easily kill the last track off with a scratch
AndrewRivas 7:24 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The SO is also o the 4 count of the beat before the downbeat comes in on the 1 with the horns, you can easily kill the last track off with a scratch

I killed (not in a good way) a few dance floors, mainly weddings, by dropping that on the one but out of the wrong tracks and then been like "fuck me" for 24bars. Now i just make sure I program right (duh) but it was a song that gave me trouble for a long time, and when i tried to overlay it, 3ks verse would give me issue keeping on beat until i realized to just focus on the background vocal. Just was a long time tough one for me.
R-Tistic 9:39 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I killed (not in a good way) a few dance floors, mainly weddings, by dropping that on the one but out of the wrong tracks and then been like "fuck me" for 24bars. Now i just make sure I program right (duh) but it was a song that gave me trouble for a long time, and when i tried to overlay it, 3ks verse would give me issue keeping on beat until i realized to just focus on the background vocal. Just was a long time tough one for me.

I mean....it's really one of those songs that has to be played for the right crowd. A lot of my crowds went to HBCU's and were in college or fresh out right when it dropped, so it's a complete staple. A crowd under like 25-27 isn't gonna get it, and even some 38, 40+ crowds won't, especially outside the South.

My boy here from L.A. (Chuck Dizzle on 92.3) actually came down the aisle to it at his own Wedding, and he lip synced Andre's verse, and the whole crowd rapped it.
DJ Remy USA 12:43 PM - 10 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

If you scatch dropping that one is crazy fun.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:19 PM - 10 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you scatch dropping that one is crazy fun.

I usually try and scratch in after mixing the Instrumental - I guess the Peter is on the one - need to listen again tonight.

I found a intro edit from some pool but I think it does some "funkymix" type stuff - need to do a re-edit,,,,
DJ Matty Stiles 2:06 PM - 8 November, 2016
man some of yall need to know how to drop before (and after) the 1

I always scratch it from the "now"

Piper is definitely on the 1
DJ Jonasty 7:54 PM - 8 November, 2016
Almost anything with Drake on it.
Kev0329 3:23 PM - 3 March, 2017
For Those Having a Hard Time Visit Selectmix.com All The Retiming of tracks is done for you and bpms are constant. best dj service for guys that could use a lil help and quality is top notch they are also doing videos now