Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Should I upgrade my macbook 13" white from 2gb to 4gb ram?

respectskills 6:05 PM - 14 April, 2010
Should I upgrade my macbook 13" white from 2gb to 4gb ram?
the reason I ask is because I have noticed when using the NSFX every once in awhile the music/sound will jump when I am scrolling through the various effects.

Take note: I know that only once usb port on the macbook 13" white is powered so YES I did purchase a "powered" usb hub but it still happens.

If you guys think I should upgrade do you recommend me doing the upgrade myself or go to an apple store?

thanks!
Cid K 6:07 PM - 14 April, 2010
Yeah id go for the 4GB upgrade.
respectskills 6:10 PM - 14 April, 2010
how much of a difference will it make?
kraal 6:51 PM - 14 April, 2010
Quote:
how much of a difference will it make?

you will probably not notice a damn thing :)
respectskills 7:21 PM - 14 April, 2010
Kraal ha ha you funny maaan! However I respect your opinion.

Do you have any suggestions about the hiccup while playing with nsfx? Is there a BETTER powered usb hub available?

the reason I ask folks is because I go crazy on the NS7 quick mixes, rolls, efx tons of things. I get bored just blending to tracks together so I like to go WILD! I need some suggestions to prevent sound hiccups...

anyone?
czar 7:24 PM - 14 April, 2010
get a mac. some people here say macs "just work" or something like that..
respectskills 7:25 PM - 14 April, 2010
I am using a "mac"
czar 7:25 PM - 14 April, 2010
seriously: try upgrading the ram man. If it doesn't solve the issue. do a clean install of the OS..

is your processor 2.0GHZ?

*I think u get a 30 day no question asked return on ram anyways, so u cant lose anything trying if it helps..
czar 7:26 PM - 14 April, 2010
just buy it from a store and not online so u can return it fast if you need to instead of waiting weeks from an online site.
czar 7:27 PM - 14 April, 2010
oh yea dont say ur mac fails on these forum or anywhere else some people will pay hit-men to bury you.
respectskills 7:29 PM - 14 April, 2010
the 30 day no questions thing helps...thanks!
processor is 2.26GHZ

just did a clean install of snow leopard and I have never used the computer to go on line or do anything other than run serato itch.

any BEST powered usb hubs or does that even matter?
kraal 7:29 PM - 14 April, 2010
what are your computer specs?
kraal 7:32 PM - 14 April, 2010
is it an actual audio drop out or just a visual screen stutter?
respectskills 7:34 PM - 14 April, 2010
macbook 13" white 2.26ghz dual core nothing is running except itch. I am aware that it only has two usb ports I use the closest port (to me) to run my ns7 and the other to plug in the nsfx

I have tried to run the nsfx with and without the powered hub with the same results.

the screen will stutter sometimes but mainly its the music that will glitch or stutter for a very quick sec
kraal 7:46 PM - 14 April, 2010
i would start a help thread before spending any money and pinpoint the issue
respectskills 7:57 PM - 14 April, 2010
will do THANKS!
CAW 11:08 PM - 14 April, 2010
Are you running any other apps while ITCH is running? If it's just basic background OS stuff and ITCH, then I doubt you'll see any difference going from 2GB to 4GB. ITCH isn't really a memory hog on its own, so the main thing the extra memory will get you is file system cache. Except that the nature of DJing is such that the file system cache isn't going to get you many wins, either, since you don't tend to repeat tracks during a single set.

Here's something to check: Open Activity Monitor (in Applications->Utilities) when you have ITCH and whatever else you normally have open running. Click on the "System Memory" button at the bottom. You will see a pie chart of your system. If the "Free" value is >0, you have free memory available still on your machine. (Free memory also doubles as the file system cache memory.) The other stats to check are "Page outs" and "Swap used". If these are >0, then your system is memory starved and will benefit from additional RAM. If they are 0, then additional RAM is not gong to help you.
controversial 1:28 PM - 17 September, 2010
I was in the same situation as you and I upgraded my ram and ended up fixing all my issues, like skipping while i went thru effects or i would search for songs in my big library and it would just hang. I tried everything when I only had 2 gigs of ram like turn off wifi and close everything but it would still give me issues, now that I have 4 gigs im able to even download a song from itunes if im at a party and i don't have a song that customers want to hear with no issues at all. you can monitor your ram use by typing in monitor on your finder window and click on system monitor and you'll see how much ram you are using.
marcA 1:36 PM - 17 September, 2010
if the OSX version 32 bit, then i wonder how OSX handles all mem above 2GB
in windows 32 bit it doesn't help adding 2GB , it simply can't be used by itch
controversial 1:47 PM - 17 September, 2010
I have the 13 inch unibody titanium 2.4 intel core duo 4 gb of 1067 ddr3 ram running mac osx 10.5.8
seratosnatch 9:48 PM - 17 September, 2010
If it only happens with Itch, it is not the Mac.
paty 10:54 PM - 17 September, 2010
I have a 13 inch white macbook 2,26 ghz intel with 8 gb of 1067 ddr3 ram and it's works very well.
lofty 11:02 PM - 18 September, 2010
My white mac is 2.16 with 2 gig ram
Runs itch flawlessly with buffer at 1 (vci 300)

I did notice a difference when I switched my music library from internal to external FireWire.

This mac also runs video ssl no problem.

If ya got FireWire use it.
Dj Beware 2:04 PM - 19 September, 2010
@lofty What difference did you experience when you started using FIrewire?
Numark, Support
sbangs 7:18 PM - 20 September, 2010
Upgrading your mac's ram is a good idea when it runs out it will try to use your harddrive to boost it its also a good idea to keep at least 20% of your internal drive free for times when your mac needs a little boost.
dj flevar 1:46 PM - 3 April, 2015
am trying to buy a used one with ssd over 400 gb and di ram is 2gb am i good to go