Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

So, what new ways/hardware/software is out there for recording video? Mac/Pc

MarkOfOdessy 11:10 PM - 5 April, 2010
Thanks. Looking to make a promotional video mix to hand out on dvd. I use Mac and/or PC : )
Jay Sol 11:31 PM - 5 April, 2010
there is a dope program called "search"
Jay Sol 11:32 PM - 5 April, 2010
naw, j/k with ya man. everyone else does it and no one did it yet.

screenflow....nuff said...
MarkOfOdessy 11:42 PM - 5 April, 2010
I said new ways... Screenflow would be an old program (in which I own,) maybe I should buy a sense of humor. Thanks anyway?
DVDJ ©RUSH 3:06 AM - 6 April, 2010
play nice boys... I use a hardware dvd recorder from best buy $169 it does really well for me. Don't have the model no in front of me at this time but i like it can finalize right after completion of the mix and only takes about five min. It's about the same size as an actual DvD not much bigger...
MarkOfOdessy 4:01 AM - 6 April, 2010
Thanks DvdJ, no hard feeling Jay Sol... I just forgot to put the ; ) after, "I should buy a sense of humor." It's all good!

Anyway, (to clarify) I'm looking at getting this accessories.us.dell.com and would like to buy some kind of new hardware to record myself live at gigs. Now I can use one of my other laptops (hope not to.) Wanted to see if anyone has came across a newer/better/easier way to record.
Jay Sol 7:25 AM - 6 April, 2010
sorry, i didn't assume that you were on screenflow my bad. but since you own it, what don't you like about it or what do you wish it implemented that would cause you to look for something new? i mean, for me, its simple, good quality, and self contained within my laptop. i don't have to rip a dvd, i don't have to import from a memory card. i really wouldn't look for anything else unless it lacked a feature that i needed / wanted or was unstable with my current configuration.

i hope someone else can be of more assistance than me.
MarkOfOdessy 8:02 AM - 6 April, 2010
Screenflow is cool, but it is internal program. I'm sure my mac can handle video and screenflow @ the same time, but I never tried it. I use it for other stuff. I wouldn't want it taking any of my CPU power.

2.2/ 2gb/ 640 Pro.
MarkOfOdessy 8:50 AM - 6 April, 2010
I upgraded to 2.1 (only $29,) seems to work well. I have to test more tomorrow, but I'm encoding a mix I just did for testing. I'll burn it to a dvd and see if it'll do the job (as far picture quality goes.) I would still like to see if anyone has found a good external hardware out there?
Dj Nyce 2:07 PM - 6 April, 2010
i haven't heard of anything. everybody here seems to use some software (screenflow, camtasia) or hardware (dvd recorder, capture card). Some people use MixEmergency too as it can record your ME set.

which model mbp do you have (MBXXXX)? it may have enough juice to run screenflow and video-sl.
MarkOfOdessy 2:53 PM - 6 April, 2010
Screenflow works cool. I've used elgato in the past, but was looking for something hdmi. I have the newest 2.26 model (It's just about do for an update.) Come to think about it, I got screenflow to use with video sl, never did, I don't know why. I used it for a few army classes and then never seen it again. I had to pull it from an old master back up drive. Has anyone ever used screenflow for a full 4 to 6 hr set?
djnak 4:24 PM - 6 April, 2010
Quote:
Screenflow is cool, but it is internal program. I'm sure my mac can handle video and screenflow @ the same time, but I never tried it. I use it for other stuff. I wouldn't want it taking any of my CPU power.

screenflow takes little resourses when recording ive recorded many 4-5 hour gigs with out a single glitch(vsl runs as if no other programs is running)
Jay Sol 5:13 PM - 6 April, 2010
please refer to my previous post..."nuff said" :-) just messin with ya. i like how you knocked my post but yet you never used it for vsl. so, technically, screenflow would be a "new way" for you =P

anyway, screenflow is great, like mentioned before it uses little resources (aside from when you render), you can get great quality, and its all internal. no hooking shit up, just click and go. the trick i use when i record is to record the mic input, as well as record the mix in my 57. i'll sync the audio together then delete the mic input audio.
Joshua Carl 5:23 PM - 6 April, 2010
www.sonystyle.com

some people were singing this units praise... the older model is only 150.00

I actually bought this to broadcast the webshow:
www.startech.com (40.00)
it comes with a program called GRABBER DELUXE... which is a recording program.
(obviously u need a 2nd laptop/tower)
but it seems like the settings are pretty proper for recording...
I havent tried it though...yet.

but for 40.00 worst case scenario you can record videos for web-quality
popnwave 6:07 PM - 6 April, 2010
I use that Sony settup recorder in the club all the time with no issues.
MarkOfOdessy 4:14 AM - 7 April, 2010

This looks dope.
dvdjcrush 6:01 AM - 7 April, 2010
Quote:

This is what i use and you can use DL DVDs for real this is dope and no wait to render as long as screen flow

only about five minute and you have dvd in hand
a-swift 3:06 PM - 9 April, 2010
Quote:
Thanks. Looking to make a promotional video mix to hand out on dvd. I use Mac and/or PC : )

I'm still using all the old ways of recording. Which means, I capture the video output of my laptop and record it. The only difference is now I can do it in HD and SD.
VJ Justin Allen 3:43 PM - 9 April, 2010
lol I am the same way a-swift. I actually grab the composite images out of my V-4 and bring them into another laptop (via firewire interface) and capture them live.

I use to use a Sony DSR-11 because it's small but that because old re-capturing the tapes.
VJ Justin Allen 3:44 PM - 9 April, 2010
I should say I grab the s-video output from the V-4, which has any composite images that is my output. I usually use a camera, a graphics program and vsl together.
a-swift 1:14 AM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
lol I am the same way a-swift. I actually grab the composite images out of my V-4 and bring them into another laptop (via firewire interface) and capture them live.

I use to use a Sony DSR-11 because it's small but that because old re-capturing the tapes.

This is exactly how I recorded my first demo mix. It's so simple but people like to complicate things.
MarkOfOdessy 3:08 AM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

This is exactly how I recorded my first demo mix. It's so simple but people like to complicate things.

That's dope, it's not about complicating things, but about trying to utilize hardware/ software I already own. If I were to buy a new items for the task I would want them to be the latest and greatest (why I asked the question)
MarkOfOdessy 4:34 AM - 12 April, 2010
Ok, So, what's the best way to export from screenflow? I don't care how long it takes or how big the file is, I just want it to look the best it can on a DVD. I just did a 49 min mix and exported it via Apple TV = 329.7MB.
DJCheLu 11:25 PM - 13 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I'm still using all the old ways of recording. Which means, I capture the video output of my laptop and record it. The only difference is now I can do it in HD and SD.

Are you using something with an hdmi input on it? Just curious, cant find anything affordable with that as an option.
MarkOfOdessy 1:28 AM - 14 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you using something with an hdmi input on it? Just curious, cant find anything affordable with that as an option.

Not yet man. I was hoping to find something here, but I'll keep you updated for sure. We added HDMI outputs to are video so it's only a matter of time.
a-swift 8:41 AM - 14 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. I can record HDMI, DVI, SDI, etc. The reason you can't find anything affordable is because an affordable HD recorder does not exist. They are $3k at the very low end. I don't consider HDV recorders HD because they are not full raster, although you probably could find an HDV recorder for $1500-$2500 but none of them would have HDMI input.

Currently, for standalone HDMI recording, the Convergent Designs nanoFlash is the best options. I think it's around $3k. If you don't go that route, then you'll be fiddling with Black Magic capture card or something, trying to get it to work while kicking yourself at the gig for not getting a small, self contained, easy to use solution like the nanoFlash.

The cost of HD recorders is definitely a reason to stick with SD recorders.
MarkOfOdessy 3:57 PM - 14 April, 2010
3k? Yeah screenflow will do the job lol idc for hd, I was just looking for something that would record from an hdmi input. Guess it's out of the question.
VJ Justin Allen 4:01 PM - 15 April, 2010
Very interesting discussion this was. Here is a brand new announced product that may be a cheap solution

gizmodo.com
VJ Justin Allen 4:02 PM - 15 April, 2010
All the tech info right here:

www.blackmagic-design.com
DJCheLu 8:47 PM - 15 April, 2010
Sweet just have to find a usb 3.0 adapter for the dell and that would be perfect. Thank you
dj vmb 8:46 PM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
Very interesting discussion this was. Here is a brand new announced product that may be a cheap solution

gizmodo.com

nice!
edmund skillary 11:15 PM - 20 April, 2010
hi

i use screenflow and have had good results.

but tonight when i'm recording it's making the video stagger

i've turned everything off except VSL and SF, there's plenty of space on both my internal and external drives,restarted etc

running a fast macbook pro,SL version 1.9.2 and VSL 1.2

any ideas what's up ?

thanks
DJCheLu 8:49 PM - 22 April, 2010
Quote:

Anyone tried this yet? What USB 3.0 adapter are you using with your macs?
VJ Justin Allen 11:32 PM - 22 April, 2010
It has not been released yet. Beginning of Summertime.
MarkOfOdessy 6:17 PM - 30 April, 2010
Anyways, here's what the practice dvd looks like. www.zshare.net <-- Ipod friendly

I had to use my old drops, but it's all good. Need to work on the logo placement a little. The dvd promo will be clean. This is dirty (friend took it to vegas)
popnwave 8:35 PM - 30 April, 2010
What I want is something like my settop DVD recorder but it dumps it on a SSD or memory card that I can edit later when I get home with chapters, etc. I guess it's too specific of a request as of now. I don't see why something with a 16-32GB drive couldn't do this for under $200 that the Sony recorder does.
DJCheLu 8:19 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Anyways, here's what the practice dvd looks like. www.zshare.net <-- Ipod friendly

I had to use my old drops, but it's all good. Need to work on the logo placement a little. The dvd promo will be clean. This is dirty (friend took it to vegas)

Can you upload that somewhere, the download is over two hours. Or i can just dl it later lol
MarkOfOdessy 9:44 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Can you upload that somewhere, the download is over two hours. Or i can just dl it later lol

Wow! I didn't know that. Yeah man, I'm open to any ideas. I'm not sure where to get a faster link. I have my own website, but yet to learn how to upload my work for ya.
DJ MDX 10:59 PM - 10 May, 2010
Quote:

My local Pro Video Dealer should have some in stock next week.

I just purchased a brand new MacBookPro with a ExpressCard/34 Slot - any suggestions as for 3.0 USB??
DJ MDX 8:45 PM - 11 May, 2010
Well so far I have not found anything compatible with Mac
DjCA_704 7:13 AM - 12 May, 2010
DJ MDX Screenflow is the best trust me I was in the same boat. If you are interested I will show you some of the work that it does. or how to set it up.
DJ MDX 11:51 AM - 12 May, 2010
Yes, please show me some of the work it does - thanks!
GRiNDBoX 10:38 PM - 12 May, 2010
then put some tutorials..:)