Serato Video and Video-SL General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.
If you require help for Serato Video or Video-SL please create a help request.

Tips for buying a new projector

DeejayRanj 10:05 PM - 23 March, 2010
So i started vjing with plasmas, now i want to get into using projectors for bigger crowds. What should i look out for when buying one? I'm thinking of buying a used one because I'm probaly not gonna use it as much. What brands and quality do you guys recommend? I use hdmi connections btw. Thanks
Mr. $weetlife 10:23 PM - 23 March, 2010
Optomas are good and not outrageously expensive. I did a lot of research and settled on one. I've loved it and use it for my Friday gig.
DeejayRanj 10:29 PM - 23 March, 2010
What specs should i look out for? There are some venues where the lights aren't gonna be turned off. I am a mobile dj as well, so i will be using it for slideshows, announcements, etc.
Rebelguy 10:54 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
What specs should i look out for? There are some venues where the lights aren't gonna be turned off. I am a mobile dj as well, so i will be using it for slideshows, announcements, etc.

If the lights are going to be on then 3000 Lumens should be a bare minimum. Anything less will get pretty washed out. Another thing to consider is projector throw. Most of the time in hotels you have a very limited amount of space so a standard projector shooting on a 6x8 screen will require 12-15 feet in front or behind the screen to get that image size. Is this going to work for your events?

You can pick up a good quality short throw projector for around $800.
DJLRock 12:02 AM - 24 March, 2010
short throw and 3k lumens. check out benq
dvdj havoc 12:02 AM - 24 March, 2010
ih have 4 optoma pro150s 2,800 lumens and they are truly amazing. you can get 2 of them for under a thousand. and they have plenty of aspect ratios in case screen size is limited
Rebelguy 1:12 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
and they have plenty of aspect ratios in case screen size is limited

I am not sure what this means exactly. Changing the aspect ratio will not compensate for projection distance that much. Besides you will be cropping a lot off the video.
DJMark 1:22 AM - 24 March, 2010
One other thing to research before buying: what will the ongoing costs be for bulb replacements, and how easy are they to find when needed?
DeejayRanj 1:33 AM - 24 March, 2010
I'm looking at the lamp hours as well. I heard they get pretty expensive to replace.
is sony bravio any good? oh yeah I'm a noob so i have no idea are all projectors rear view or is that the screen? lol

are any of these good?

sacramento.craigslist.org

sacramento.craigslist.org

my price range is from $400-600

thanks
dvdj havoc 1:55 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
and they have plenty of aspect ratios in case screen size is limited

I am not sure what this means exactly. Changing the aspect ratio will not compensate for projection distance that much. Besides you will be cropping a lot off the video.

what i mean is you can go widescreen(16x9) or full screen (4.3)
only when zoom inside the projector you will crop video. i dont have this problem with these. mainly when i use my edirol v4, the camera picture is so much biggerthen that of the video . thats when you can tell if the picture is being cropped
DeejayRanj 11:51 AM - 28 March, 2010
I'm looking at the lamp hours as well. I heard they get pretty expensive to replace.
is sony bravio any good? oh yeah I'm a noob so i have no idea are all projectors rear view or is that the screen? lol
dvdj havoc 8:51 PM - 28 March, 2010
most lamps go to almost 3000 hours. after that it all depends on the model of the projector. mine are between 150 and 250 for a new bulb.
Rick Hodgkins 9:41 PM - 28 March, 2010
I now have a pair of 4k Sanyos and love them.
Prepare for outside shows with sunsets and shadows with plenty of power.

By the time lamps are due, they are clogged up, may be overheating and have optics out of adjustment. I would plan for now, not later. Smoke used to kill these things.

I will never own another DLP projector.
If you've ever had a color wheel explode, you know why.

Always have a spare projector.
I lost two at one gig once, the DLP and a Hitachi that only wanted to work flipped upside down and would go lamp off in the normal position.
That one is retired to home studio upside down duty.
dvdj havoc 6:21 PM - 29 March, 2010
dam. thats crazy
dj hes 11:01 PM - 29 March, 2010
I have a benq Short thow projector and it is pretty dope, works really well at short distance, down side, you cant zoom in or out at all. i got mine for $680 i think.

I also have an HP projector (HP MP3320 Mobile Projector) that i got from the the wife's dad for free! (got 2 of em actually, 1st one's color wheel shattered)

as long as the room is not bright, most projectors nowadays will work fine considering 99% of the videos are only 640x480.......
Joshua Carl 11:23 PM - 29 March, 2010
one of the rooms I work at wanted to add a projecter in the 800-1200 market.

these are what I came up with:

www.google.com

www.google.com

www.google.com

www.google.com

www.google.com

(only 700.00...even though the lumens are low)
www.google.com

www.google.com

www.google.com

www.google.com

www.google.com

I popped my projector bulb cherry Saturday... MINE EXPLODED 2 HOURS INTO
the gig!
DeejayRanj 10:51 AM - 30 March, 2010
Thanks guys for the help. so i should stay away from DLP projectors? and how do i look out for ones with bad color wheels? i'm about 50% sure, ill be getting a used one. just because how many times im gonna be using it and to get better specs for the price.
Rick Hodgkins 12:32 PM - 30 March, 2010
www.dlptvreview.com

Digital Light Processing (DLP) is a trademark owned by Texas Instruments, representing a technology used in some TVs and video projectors. It was originally developed in 1987 by Dr. Larry Hornbeck of Texas Instruments.

DLP is used in DLP front projectors (small standalone projection units) and DLP rear projection television.

DLP, along with LCD and LCoS, are the current display technologies behind rear-projection television, having supplanted CRT rear projectors. These rear-projection technologies compete against LCD and plasma flat panel displays in the HDTV market.

DLP uses color wheels.

Then they go, the projector is lost.
Great picture quality, but my experience wasn't a good one.

People worry more about bulb life usually, but this is a greater concern particularly if a road machine. I would classify them as "fragile" based on the kind care mine got and failed. It was a Optoma EZ Pro 750 2k lumen I believe.
www.projectorcentral.com (1600 Lmn)
Excellent site for information btw.

Here is a calculator that will help you decide on power and features.
www.projectorcentral.com

I did side by side comparison when I had both and found the difference small and really unsure of which one was better lcd or dlp.

LCD will give you a more obvious screen door effect if you are too close, but also seemed clearer and brighter at a distance.

B&H is also a good source for gear.

Second hand would scare me unless you personally know the history and treatment of the projection application.
DeejayRanj 12:45 PM - 30 March, 2010
Thanks i'm looking at the website right now. So i still dont get are all projector rear-view or is that the screen? lol to me the answer seems obvious but just want to make sure.
Rick Hodgkins 12:54 PM - 30 March, 2010
You can use them front or rear or upside down, its all settings.

Screens are normally rear projection that use translucent material and front uses a reflective type, neither has anything to do with the projector.
It totally depends on the application ie: ceiling mount/front projection or dance floor screen with the projector 12-15' behind the screen.
DeejayRanj 12:58 PM - 30 March, 2010
Thanks
DeejayRanj 1:01 PM - 30 March, 2010
Oh yeah, What portable screens do you recommend? I like Dj Screens but dont really like all the corners. Looking for something affordable and elegant.
Rick Hodgkins 7:19 PM - 30 March, 2010
Screenworks fast fold 6x8 is my busiest.
As for elegant, thats done with full or half dress kits (lower skirt only)
If you are doing formal events under 100 ppl the front view roll up with skirt does it pretty well and affordable.

It depends on what you are expecting to do with it.

For smaller gigs I use an lcd on a pole mount, to larger using 2 9x12 rear projection.

Also bear in mind that bigger screens take two people to set up.
Another reason that 6x8 is so busy.

www.thescreenworks.com

These people have been good to me.
They carry all brands and have parts support and even cleaning available.
Had good luck with used screen parts also, and fast.
skinnyguy 7:29 PM - 30 March, 2010
dj screens now have a kit to make things look nicer.

josh - more like your cherry exploded =P