Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

DONGLE please serato

credentia1 10:47 AM - 17 March, 2010
I realise your software is free but I think alot of people really want to use serato with the new cdj900/2000's without the hassle of the sl1/3 box.

The quickest way I can see around this problem is to supply for purchase a small usb dongle maybe with a threw USB input (so it only takes one usb spot) so Serato can connect directly to the new cdj's.

I see other companies working in with the new technology and would hate serato to be left behind. I know a few djs that have bought into other systems purely for this ease of use fact.

What do you think!?
skinnyguy 7:52 PM - 17 March, 2010
think of the sl1/3 as the dongle...
credentia1 11:55 AM - 18 March, 2010
Damn thats a big and invconvenient dongle :) !!
Anonymo 3:13 PM - 18 March, 2010
From what I can tell you're asking to compress the SL1/3 box into a dongle, which I assume Serato/Rane would do if it was possible.
baseline 10:07 PM - 18 March, 2010
How does the sound get out of Serato if you're only using a dongle?
Laz219 1:19 AM - 19 March, 2010
The CDJs have interfaces built into them.
credentia1 5:36 AM - 20 March, 2010
Yeh you use the CDJ interface, the dongle is just a means to stop pirating of software etc. (in other words serato still makes money they we get the convenience of plugging straight into the CDJs with a million rca cords etc and the hassle that this brings when changing over from other djs)
credentia1 5:37 AM - 20 March, 2010
woops typos, i means we get the convenience WITHOUT a million cords etc
credentia1 5:37 AM - 20 March, 2010
woops typo again derrrr i meant meant hahaa
browny 11:25 AM - 20 March, 2010
if they can just get it so the sl1/3 box can be the dongle im happy! to be able to plug my mac into the cdjs with a usb and not lots of rca leads would be a god send! its a pain changing djs now and can cause problems.
browny 11:25 AM - 20 March, 2010
if they can just get it so the sl1/3 box can be the dongle im happy! to be able to plug my mac into the cdjs with a usb and not lots of rca leads would be a god send! its a pain changing djs now and can cause problems.
Steffen Hoppe 7:56 PM - 23 March, 2010
hey guys this will not happen :P

I'm not really experienced in writing cracks and stuff but if you just have an dongle you can emulate it i think...this means that you can easily crack the software...

further on...if you can affort a pair of cdj 2000's you might also have enough money for an sl-3 which leads you to having to plug 4 rca wires instead of 2...i think this is possible for everybody who can connect an USB-Cable to his MacBook ;)
djdannyd 8:13 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
...if you can affort a pair of cdj 2000's you might also have enough money for an sl-3

If I stop eating out 3 times a week and cut down on my alcohol intake for 2.5 months i could afford the SL-3 without stopping payments on my bills, mortgage etc....
DJ Stoyvo 12:56 PM - 26 March, 2010
Why a dongle? Why not have an option to switch audio output from your SL1/Sl3 to CDJ2000 or CDJ900? I think this would be a great idea! That way we save money and not buy a dongle, AND we can choose the audio output :D
djtoast 2:29 PM - 27 March, 2010
Quote:
Damn thats a big and invconvenient dongle :) !!

you never broke your back carrying 400 records to gigs, i'm thinking
credentia1 11:49 AM - 28 March, 2010
no but it is the 21 century
djdannyd 8:49 PM - 28 March, 2010
Quote:
no but it is the 21 century

lol
Laz219 12:49 PM - 30 March, 2010
Stovyo- because still still need something to "unlock" Scratch Live, although seeing as the software is supposed to be free that could technically be an option. I highly doubt Serato would really like to open the software like that though o that anybody that just happens to have certain CD players got it.

CDJ-400s are a good example, natively supported but they still require Rane hardware.
WarpNote 2:33 PM - 30 March, 2010
credentia1, how much would you be willing to pay for a dongle?

My guess is if they actually made it (dont think they'll do),
they would need to price it quite high and you would actually
just buy a SL box anyway....
DJ Stoyvo 3:29 PM - 30 March, 2010
Quote:
Stovyo- because still still need something to "unlock" Scratch Live, although seeing as the software is supposed to be free that could technically be an option. I highly doubt Serato would really like to open the software like that though o that anybody that just happens to have certain CD players got it.

CDJ-400s are a good example, natively supported but they still require Rane hardware.

You didn't really understand. I mean, why buy another dongle if you can just plug in your SL1 or SL3 and choose output from the CDJ-2000 in setup? There's no point to spending money on something to enable the program if you already have hardware to do that. We just need an option to send audio to a different output ;)
Laz219 5:46 AM - 31 March, 2010
Ah ok, I thought you were suggesting just have a check box so open the program up for use with them.
My mistake.
welly 7:02 AM - 31 March, 2010
Never mind CDJ's! What about us vinyl junkies!

Keep it real serato, some of us don't want to use CDJ's.
Laz219 11:31 AM - 31 March, 2010
How does that affect this feature request at all?
credentia1 12:22 AM - 2 April, 2010
Im thinkinig it should come with the sl4 :)
ekwipt 2:50 AM - 2 April, 2010
The dongle would work, but would take another usb port, which sux for MBP.

To stop crackers etc though i think it would need a double level of security, Serato would have to certify certain control surfaces/CDJs etc, sort of how Traktor works with mixers.

So Pioneer CDJ2000 would be certified, the program would first look at that and then use the dongle which would get shipped with Serato/Rane sound products SL1, SL3, SIXTY-EIGHT etc.

It would be a frikin headache to send to old users though?

To carry a SL3, when only wanting to use CDJ2000 would sort of negate the purpose of them in the first place, don't you think, unless you could use four decks with SL3 and two CDJ2000, that would be sweeet
credentia1 2:55 AM - 2 April, 2010
agreed though I guess when they release SL4 (assuming they do) it could be included. I'm sure this would also promote many old sl1 users to upgrade
credentia1 12:01 PM - 8 August, 2010
i would pay for an sl4 if it came with it
BriChi 1:39 PM - 8 August, 2010
Quote:
The dongle would work, but would take another usb port, which sux for MBP.

why? you wouldnt be using the sl box so that frees up a port, so you are using the same amount of ports you used to

also, would be cool if you just needed the dongle to start the software, once open, you can unplug the dongle to free up the port.

OR

Just do a activation key like Video SL does
credentia1 6:19 AM - 10 August, 2010
it wouldn't take up another port, it would take the port of the sl box or even not be needed at all if you could just open the app with it
Mr Wilks 5:00 PM - 10 August, 2010
Is Scratch not licensed to Rane? If so, then the onus would be on Rane to manufacture the dongle and not Serato.

I know Itch is licensed to various manufacturers but i'm pretty sure any hardware connected to Scratch to unlock the program is manufactured by Rane as an exclusive partnership. So Serato only provide the software "Scratch" to work with Rane's hardware.

So come on Rane... (maybe?)
credentia1 6:29 AM - 11 August, 2010
so they wouldn't really want a dongle method but rather to sell more rane hardware, so possibly this won't happen?
gevola 7:35 AM - 11 August, 2010
Quote:
If so, then the onus would be on Rane to manufacture the dongle and not Serato.

USB dongle are too easy to crack,
Mr Wilks 10:47 AM - 11 August, 2010
I'd say it wouldn't happen as Rane want to sell the SL1/SL3 and as Gevola says, USB dongles can have their security compromised with the right know how but Gevola, i take it you haven't seen the ilok that that protects their high end plug-ins? Some of them plug-ins cost more than an SL1 with Scratch Live! Pitch 'n Time is $799 so Scratch Live wouldn't be a problem on ilok serato.com

There would also have to be new audio options in the software too and that would make it easier to use any sound card with Scatch Live, defeating the purpose of the Rane licensing on their sound cards (or "dongles" for want of a better word).

So if Serato added a dropdown in the menu that you could select a different sound card and pay Rane $XX per Scratch Live sold (for what they would have made on hardware), then that's really the only way.

To be honest, Serato and Rane only have the concern about their own equipment but i can imagine many people having problems with other sound cards and filling up the boards with "my M-Audio Conectiv isn't playing ball" or "my Maya isn't recognised" diluting their resources from Scratch/Itch development.

Besides, i kinda like being in a "Scratch Live owners club"... i feel kinda snooty knowing i have a premium, respected product :)
Mr Wilks 10:49 AM - 11 August, 2010
*That was meant to include the line "not that ilok doesn't have it's problems too".
gevola 11:34 AM - 11 August, 2010
Quote:
I'd say it wouldn't happen as Rane want to sell the SL1/SL3 and as Gevola says, USB dongles can have their security compromised with the right know how but Gevola, i take it you haven't seen the ilok that that protects their high end plug-ins? Some of them plug-ins cost more than an SL1 with Scratch Live! Pitch 'n Time is $799 so Scratch Live wouldn't be a problem on ilok serato.com

Mr. Wilks, I agree with you .. I'm me too happy playing Pioneer CDJ2000 without the SL1 / SL3 keys.
But ilok is used only for "plug ins" product.
If you search on internet you will find many "cracked" version of Tracktor Pro / Virtual DJ.
I do not know how these companies are able to withstand such losses.
However they do it there.
Moreover remeber that Serato SL1 works with the latest version of Serato Scratch Live 2.1 ( all upgrade are free ) ..
So the only solution, is that, like what was done with ITCH, is to make an agreement with Rane/Serato and other companies for the distribution of Scratch Live.
gevola 11:35 AM - 11 August, 2010
* Moreover remeber that Rane SL1 works with the latest version of Serato Scratch Live 2.1 ( all upgrade are free ) ..
Mr Wilks 5:57 PM - 11 August, 2010
Yeah, i see it's for plug-ins now. Maybe it can run full programs too? I looked at the ilok wiki site and it lists many other vendors so not sure? Hope so.

It's an option they could look at i suppose as it would open up the Pio 400/900/2000 market and Rane can reap some cash on the way.

Smiles all around! :)
credentia1 11:47 PM - 11 August, 2010
Im just thinking as popularity for the new 900/2000's grow, it would be a great option for serato to offer an integrated solution. New owners of these cdjs are not going to go out and buy a sl3 box BUT if serato offered a boxless integration I could see serato reaping the benifits over using that crappy rekordbox program....

I really hope they go this way, because since I got some 2000s, half the time i'm not bothered to plug in serato etc and just play direct from usb......BUT if all i needed to do was plug in a usb, i would always have serato running
VJ Justin Allen 12:11 AM - 12 August, 2010
Actually the USB Dongle (iLok or whatever) option would be a financial success for Rane / Serato. It's hard to lose an SL1 / SL3 box, they are kinda big. But a USB Dongle...lol Lose them / break them all the time!

More loses = more sales :)
credentia1 12:41 AM - 12 August, 2010
true true....... winks at serato team ..... please :)
djdannyd 1:30 AM - 12 August, 2010
Quote:
Actually the USB Dongle (iLok or whatever) option would be a financial success for Rane / Serato. It's hard to lose an SL1 / SL3 box, they are kinda big. But a USB Dongle...lol Lose them / break them all the time!

More loses = more sales :)

what would be the estimated cost?

dub and krypt spend more on CV than the amount of people will spend on this "dongle"
VJ Justin Allen 1:30 AM - 12 August, 2010
They could even structure the deal like this:

SL1 with dongle is $700.00
SL3 with dongle is $900.00
Replacement dongle with confirmed ownership is $300.00

The SL1 / SL3 are still useable as backups and Rane can still deplete their existing stock.

The replacement dongle could be an iLok type dongle that needs to be initialized via the internet. When a replacement is sent out it refuses to activate the original dongle.

All dongles need to be hooked up to the internet once every 30 days for verification.

Could people but a dongle and sell the SL1 / SL3 thereby removing revenue from Rane? Yep and that's the drawback at this time with this type of set-up.

Maybe you have to have both the SL1 / SL3 box AND the dongle plugged into the computer at the same time once a month in order for it to be authorized. That would work better.
djdannyd 1:54 AM - 12 August, 2010
really? $700 for the sl-1? besides i don't hook up my laptop to the internet at all.

Also would it make business sense to have a product that unlocks all of the software's features for $500 less (than the sl-3) based on your structure?
credentia1 4:44 AM - 12 August, 2010
Maybe the dongle comes out with the sl4 only and no replacement dongle is available if you loose it (to stop people taking advantage of the system.)

Would still be worth it to me
VJ Justin Allen 12:54 PM - 12 August, 2010
It's $700 for the SL-1 AND the dongle.

And you would not have to use the laptop you use for playing with. Using an iLok type of dongle it just needs to be plugged into any laptop and when the SL1/SL3 is attached with it authorizes the iLok dongle for another 30 days.

It's really simple. A pain I can see...but simple.
VJ Justin Allen 12:55 PM - 12 August, 2010
AH, the SL4 with the detachable dongle that nestles inside of it. for storage and authorizations :)