DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RED BULL THRE3 STYLE US

DJ Pryme 12:46 AM - 3 March, 2010
I know that some of you know about the Reb Bull Thre3style competition going on right now in the states. There were/are heats happening in L.A., Charlotte, Dallas, Nashville, Denver, Birmingham, Orlando, Phoenix, Miami, Houston, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, St. Louis and Cincinnati.

WHAT:
Red Bull Thre3Style is an innovative concept that gives highly skilled DJs a platform to battle, perform, gain notoriety and express themselves in a party atmosphere. Unlike other DJ battles that are based on more technical aspects, this is a creative and unique format that seeks to find the DJ that has best perfected the true art of how to rock the party. Eight of Los Angeles’ top DJs will fight for the crowd’s favor, each with a 15 minute set that MUST contain at least three different musical genres (with no mixing programs allowed). A panel of music industry judges will select the winners based on track selection, creativity, mixing skills, stage presence and crowd reaction.

Red Bull Thre3style is an international event series, and will feature 14 events across the United States, culminating in the U.S. National Finals in Denver on October 7. In addition to Los Angeles, cities participating include: Charlotte, Dallas, Nashville, Denver, Birmingham, Orlando, Phoenix, Miami, Houston, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, St. Louis and Cincinnati. The winner from the U.S. National Finals will advance to compete in the Global Finals in Paris, France, where they will compete against the winners from twelve countries: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Columbia, Ecuador, France, Japan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ABOUT ALL THIS! I know some of you heard about the L.A. heat with Fashen, morse code, etc etc etc.... SOUND OFF!

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

GET EM!
djchope 1:47 AM - 3 March, 2010
soo..no c-ray-toe?
djchope 2:03 AM - 3 March, 2010
how can we get more info?or better yet.sign up?
DCD 3:02 AM - 3 March, 2010
They all look so bored.
Z0nkers 3:21 AM - 3 March, 2010
i know about it, but don't follow any of those things....got a Q though, no mixing programs allowed? so cd's and original pressings only? no serato or anyting else?
Z0nkers 3:21 AM - 3 March, 2010
i know about it, but don't follow any of those things....got a Q though, no mixing programs allowed? so cd's and original pressings only? no serato or anyting else?
Z0nkers 3:29 AM - 3 March, 2010
ah nvm.. i just watched the first video and saw the laptop. so what software is allowed then?
DJ_Phenom 3:36 AM - 3 March, 2010
^ yeah bout to say fashen was rockin his MBP in the very first vid...
Trackfeen 4:27 AM - 3 March, 2010
they are basically saying.. "VDJ users not apply" lol
djchase 7:22 AM - 3 March, 2010
speaking of which lol ive gotta do one this friday in london ontario canada...
DjSugarDaddy 12:19 PM - 3 March, 2010
whts the schedule for the US dates?
DJDeluchi 1:59 PM - 3 March, 2010
serato allowed

Watchwww.vimeo.com
DJ DisGrace 2:11 PM - 3 March, 2010
yup serato is allowed.... the events in Canada are Rane sponsored - the equipment provided is a TTM57SL and two Technics 1200s.

It seems like this event is turning into the new DMC battle - as far as popularity goes.... I organized DMC battles in 2006 and 2007, but in 2008 I couldn't find enough guys that wanted to strictly use was (everyone wanted serato). Also, if you ask your average partygoer to name a dj competition, I will bet that the majority will say the Redbull Threestyle over the DMCs.

I myself would prefer to see DMCs as the paradigm of dj battles (although I wouldn't have a chance in hell of winning!) but the Redbull contest has gained a lot of support in the last couple years..... Wish me luck my local Redbull battle is tomorrow!!!

P.S. When will the first video battles start? My whole set could easily be made into a video set.... hmmmm... *thinking*
DJ DisGrace 2:12 PM - 3 March, 2010
*strictly use wax*
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:42 PM - 3 March, 2010
FUCK WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT HTIS EARLIER...........they have a leg of the comp in birmingham and apparently from the website noone showed up...i coulda been a reigonal winner by default
djchope 4:52 PM - 3 March, 2010
anyone know how we can sign up?
HYDRO MATIC 4:54 PM - 3 March, 2010
^^^^
what website did you use...I wanna sign up for Orlando...but searched for 30 mins so far and no mention of the competition except for the Canada dates???
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:56 PM - 3 March, 2010
redbullthre3styleusa.com

no clue how to sign up....this isnt being promoted very well, i had to do a google image search and find a flier to find this site......and this site has little to no value
freshtodeath 5:16 PM - 3 March, 2010
go fashen!
HYDRO MATIC 5:30 PM - 3 March, 2010
man anybody get a sign up number let me know...Im already planning the 2 1/2 hour drive down NOW!!! Id hate to have to go just hoping to compete...
HYDRO MATIC 5:31 PM - 3 March, 2010
And thanks for the site... Bezzle....

and why do they look so bored in that clip above...man!!!
DJ DisGrace 6:13 PM - 3 March, 2010
Here's all the Threestyle Canada videos to date.... they don't look as bored ;)

Watchvimeo.com
Audio1 6:24 PM - 3 March, 2010
no signups....
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:25 PM - 3 March, 2010
Quote:
no signups....

a staple of any great contest for sure lol
Audio1 6:28 PM - 3 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
no signups....

Great DJ's on the LA heat, but yeah... I hear that its a test run to see how popular it would be stateside. Hopefully 2011 they do it proper and actually let folks signup.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:41 PM - 3 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
no signups....

Great DJ's on the LA heat, but yeah... I hear that its a test run to see how popular it would be stateside. Hopefully 2011 they do it proper and actually let folks signup.

it just kinda seems ass backwards....the description of the contest is

Quote:

Red Bull Thre3Style is an innovative concept that gives highly skilled DJs a platform to battle, perform, gain notoriety and express themselves in a party atmosphere

so they pick talented DJs to be in it?? If your talented and known enough to get elected for this contest odds are you A)dont need the notoriety B) Probably already have a platform to express themselves in a party atmosphere.....odds are thats what your doing already lol
HYDRO MATIC 9:50 PM - 3 March, 2010
...Ive called the club and the local promoter for that night...they say they are booked but to talk to the redbull rep... so well see what happens.....
Audio1 10:02 PM - 3 March, 2010
Quote:

Quote:

Red Bull Thre3Style is an innovative concept that gives highly skilled DJs a platform to battle, perform, gain notoriety and express themselves in a party atmosphere

so they pick talented DJs to be in it?? If your talented and known enough to get elected for this contest odds are you A)dont need the notoriety B) Probably already have a platform to express themselves in a party atmosphere.....odds are thats what your doing already lol
Im glad im not the only one who thinks its a bit unfair to even call it a battle...
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:03 PM - 3 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Im glad im not the only one who thinks its a bit unfair to even call it a battle...

i would call it a showcase
Kool DJ Sheak One 10:11 PM - 3 March, 2010
Handpicking already established Djs to "battle"?
Meh.
I call shenanagins.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:14 PM - 3 March, 2010
lol

We thank you all for comming out tonight and supporting local talent these guys worked really hard and they really need the exposure cause one of them may be THE next big thing.....First contestant Jazzy Jeff
djchase 10:29 PM - 3 March, 2010
Quote:
no signups....

One of my boys called me "hey wanna be the redbull compition" k was like shit yeah he had already put my name down lol
Logisticalstyles 10:51 PM - 3 March, 2010
Corporate sponsored DJ battles generally suck because the sponsor really doesn't care about the music. They just want publicity.
DJ DisGrace 11:29 PM - 3 March, 2010
my local elimination round is 7 nobody's (including me) and a national DMC champion...

2nd place ain't bad!
DJ GRIAL 8:00 AM - 4 March, 2010
They called me a couple of weeks ago to see if I wanted to participate but I was already booked for March 27.
Z0nkers 8:46 AM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
Corporate sponsored DJ battles generally suck because the sponsor really doesn't care about the music. They just want publicity.

exactly. and the reason why i dont bother with these types of gigs is because they arent so much about you 15mins of fame on stage, its about which dj brings most of their friends that night to cheer him on and act like they like you more than anyone else so you win.

its nothing more than a promoters dream. everythgn is comped (free)m the entertainers play for free and bring their own clientelle. the reason why they are poorly advertised is because most of that is done for them through word of mouth from those directly involved.

promoters make a pile of $$ off these things. they've been around for many years and some like thre3 style capitalized on a greatmoney making tool by landing major spondors
DjSugarDaddy 10:46 AM - 4 March, 2010
guys I was runner up in one of the Canadian ones, we were all like you guys were right now, we didnt know what was up with this or what to expect but beleive me, this is fun and the next big thing, trust me, you want to enter this and or go to it if you like partyrockin!

its getting huge in canada and i expect it to do the same in every other country soon enough, hmmm i wonder if we can get gold in this event too? LOL

i still dont know what the usa dates are, i'd like to go to one, anybody know the schedule, and geez if somebody is gonna bail out or not show up or they dont have enuff dj's, PLEASE let me know and I'd love to come! :)
DJ GRIAL 11:07 AM - 4 March, 2010
I just gave away a spot in Dallas, is all full now.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:27 PM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
trust me, you want to enter this and or go to it if you like partyrockin!

your absolutley right....to bad theres no way to do it
Audio1 2:37 PM - 4 March, 2010
To our Canadian friends, The US competitions didnt have any signups... Red Bull has been handpicking people it seems.
HYDRO MATIC 3:40 PM - 4 March, 2010
and the comp they are grabbing aint all that....sigh...at least in some spots...
slimmjimm 4:29 PM - 4 March, 2010
Hmm, sounds like fun. I would not come close to winning however it would probably be a good time. No signups? Booooooo.
DJ Greg J 5:33 PM - 4 March, 2010
they're missing a lot of cities. no San Francisco OR NYC?
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:36 PM - 4 March, 2010
im suprised they have on in birmingham (its advertised but i dont see an entry for the city on their site)but not atlanta
Audio1 10:02 PM - 4 March, 2010
What weve gathered locally out here is

CANADA = REAL COMPETITION + SHOWCASES
US = SHOWCASES + TEST RUN (to see success level)

My word to RED BULL is to have let people sign up, Just like we did on the DMC and ITF days....
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:04 PM - 4 March, 2010
+1
dj_innovate 1:26 AM - 5 March, 2010
I was at the LA event last week. It was a GREAT turnout with over 1,000 people. Hosted at the Playhouse in hollywood, one of my fav. venues. Luckily, I was able to get in though Fashen's guestlist. The event wasn't well announced, mostly spread through word of mouth and twitter posts from other DJs. The DJs are all pretty impressive except for 1.

There were a handfull of DJs that are under the management of Deckstar. I spoke to one of my friends and asked him why he wasn't in the battle since he does a lot of events for Redbull Corp. He said they select DJs that have a following and a name, but can't have DJs who spin for them cause of conflict of interests. A bit unfair in my opinion. I hope next years battles allow open application and a screening process for others to "make it" into the scene, but this battle is def. something to witness.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:31 PM - 5 March, 2010
Quote:
He said they select DJs that have a following and a name.

I see why they do this but for me that takes all the fun out of the battle, the excitment comes from knowing some dude you may never heard of can go up there and dominate, plus in the contest description it says it gives " highly skilled DJs a platform to battle, perform, gain notoriety and express themselves in a party atmosphere".....if you have a big name and following why do you need this show to gain notoriety or need it as a platform to rock a party......RROLLERGOD FOR 2011 RED BULL THRE3 STYLE US!!!!!!!!
DjWoody 3:13 PM - 5 March, 2010
I'm sure Red Bull didn't want to go through 1,000,000 shitty mixes! lol.. It's still unfair though. Looking through the LA Event pics, it looks like it was your typical Hollywood crowd. I didn't even know about this, I would've liked to go check it out.

www.urb.com
www.facebook.com

Anyhow, check out what Morse Code said....

-------------
Is this a shock for you, how do you feel about the win?

I’m excited, I feel great about the win! I was more shocked about the fact that a couple of my DJ friends were barely preping their crates as they came into the battle.

How did you prepare for your set? What strategy did you have coming into the battle tonight?

I did not really do a lot of prep work. I basically already had a set prepared. I skimmed down a 30-minute set I had previously saved. The one thing I did was to practice my full set for two hours and then practice it again in the dark. I pretended to be in a club atmosphere.haha… I knew the crowd participation would be the key factor, so I did my best to work the crowd in between tracks. I knew if I got the crowd, I would get the big points from the judges. I tried to give the judges a little bit of everything.
-------------