Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

AMERICAN AUDIO VMS4

DJ dVO 4:32 PM - 16 January, 2010
www.skratchworx.com

By far the best looking little MIDI controller out there. Best in terms of ergonomics, functionalities and design (from the look of the pictures). Too bad it is built for Traktor. I am not a fan of it. I would definitely jump all over this if it is built for Itch. This controller makes the DX look toyish. I wonder how much effort would need to get it working with Itch. I need a 4-channel mixer with built-in decent platters and this seems to fit the bill.

Thoughts?

www.facebook.com
casket hands 5:51 PM - 16 January, 2010
My thoughts: too bad it's built for traktor
MusicDan 7:38 PM - 16 January, 2010
There is no mapping for Itch, so making it work is impossible.
djcerla 8:59 PM - 16 January, 2010
This controller looks just right.
zaguama 8:59 PM - 16 January, 2010
Traktor is not bad at all, you just need to adjust like with anything else. If you are really looking for the features the VMS4 then you should be able to adapt to the other software, theres even now a tool that converts your Serato Database into Traktor so you dont have to reanalyze all your mp3s and keep your cues.
casket hands 9:24 PM - 16 January, 2010
Pass
eric007 9:35 PM - 16 January, 2010
For $700, this is REALLY appealing. I did read that it has 10-bit resolution, not 14, like the vci300 has. I don't scratch, so I don't see that as a big deal.

Am I correct in that you can use it as a usb mixer, as well as a stand-alone mixer? That brings a whole new world of value to the picture.
DJ dVO 1:51 AM - 17 January, 2010
well that's it, for the price and the features it offers this is for sure a bargain. I currently use my NS7 for my mobile gig and it gets very heavy at the end of the night. but most importantly I need a 4-channel mixer so my other DJ can route his into it. NS7 is useless for that...

I used Traktor before and never was a fan so I switched over to SSL and now Itch. The simplicity in the GUI won me over.

I don't know, I might get it to use as a backup but not going to jump the band wagon until I know what it can do and cannot do.
Cid K 2:04 AM - 17 January, 2010
Ill pass on this one.... Am getting a Xone DX.
kraal 2:39 AM - 17 January, 2010
Quote:
I need a 4-channel mixer so my other DJ can route his into it. NS7 is useless for that...

the ns7 isnt a mixer.... a 79.00 for channel mixer will solve that issue
eric007 8:49 AM - 17 January, 2010
how is american audio as a brand? are they known for making quality stuff?

i figure it'll be march till this is on the market. by that time, we'll have itch 2.0. i wish they'd allow for a re-mapping of the vci300 to allow for 4 decks. it's not like it currently is a true 1-1 mapping (when you have to push shift, for example).

actually, can someone explain why it wouldn't work for vestax to come out with new mapping for 4 decks?
casket hands 9:00 AM - 17 January, 2010
Only 2 volume fader and 2 sets of EQs
eric007 9:02 AM - 17 January, 2010
Quote:
Only 2 volume fader and 2 sets of EQs

couldn't they set midi to do a soft pickup, or whatever the term is?
sheeno 2:57 PM - 17 January, 2010
I wish Vestax or Denon would make something like this for itch.
sheeno 3:00 PM - 17 January, 2010
I dont see a button on this to switch the controls to decks 1/3 or 2/4 either?
kraal 3:07 PM - 17 January, 2010
possibly on screen for traktor
djcerla 5:35 PM - 17 January, 2010
www.skratchworx.com

say what you want, but the thing definitely rocks! And at that price, it's a steal.
DJMIA 6:20 PM - 17 January, 2010
Check out the youtube video

Watchwww.youtube.com
kraal 7:15 PM - 17 January, 2010
wow and only 500
DJ Xio 7:57 PM - 17 January, 2010
If I were vestax... I would take not for the vci-400!
DJ Xio 7:57 PM - 17 January, 2010
*Note!
eric007 12:38 AM - 18 January, 2010
i can't get over all the features for $500. This thing squashes my vci300.
Antony Ellis 1:20 AM - 18 January, 2010
Quote:

maybe, but the quality will not match that of the VCI,
eric007 2:31 AM - 18 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

is american audio not known for making gear that lasts?
eric007 3:06 AM - 18 January, 2010
Quote:

oh...and regarding the vci quality. i'm on unit #3. my notion of vestax quality isn't stellar
Antony Ellis 10:36 AM - 18 January, 2010
As fars as im aware American Audio is not brilliant gear, they make a few Cd Decks and i think they are a bit crap!

As for your vci eric007.....you must just of been unlucky, i had one of the first vci's and i have never had 1 problem with it......touchwood!
DJ dVO 11:18 PM - 18 January, 2010
Can't go wrong for $500 with all the buttons it has! LOL.

Seriously though, just as everyone was dissing the DDM4000 and built quality and stuff, look around and it is one of the most bargain mixer out there. I would think the same can be applied here for the VMS4. So for $500, you get a so so midi controller and have completely different software, as an alternative choice!

I would get it for the shear curiosity.
spazz 4:31 AM - 19 January, 2010
Well the cool thing about controllers is that the computer and the DVS is doing most of the work. So there's really not a lot of stress put on these units like say a self-contained CD and/or media player. That's where most of the problem is with CDJs, the moving parts and any internal processing / encoding within the unit. Controllers avoid that altogether.
spazz 4:32 AM - 19 January, 2010
Sorry meant "decoding" ...
Antony Ellis 12:44 PM - 19 January, 2010
Buy it at your own risk....i wouldn't.
Onetidd 5:47 AM - 8 May, 2010
i will ^^
Onetidd 4:28 PM - 25 August, 2010
got it^^
damehype 4:33 PM - 25 August, 2010
Checke it out last Thursday at the Mobile Beat Tour stop in Houston. It's pretty slick. I'd probably use Traktor with it though.
Onetidd 4:39 PM - 25 August, 2010
I use traktor with it already^
Ragman 6:07 PM - 25 August, 2010
Onetidd what are your thoughts on it ?
Onetidd 7:47 PM - 25 August, 2010
i love it, i don't use mic (i heard some peoples having issues with it), it's very userfull it's not like a toy.. the pictures are wrong. I use the 4 channels it's pretty impressive and i will have time to learn more on it;
damehype 8:25 PM - 25 August, 2010
I used to run 4 channels with Traktor Pro on a Hercules RMX, so this should be really smooth. Perfect controller for Weddings with the two mic ins.
DJ dVO 10:55 PM - 25 August, 2010
I wonder between the VMS4 and the Traktor S4 controller which one is better in built. :)
zaguama 4:09 AM - 26 August, 2010
i can back up american audio on making great quality products, i own 2 amplifiers a VLP1500 and a VX2500 and never had a problem with either one, also used back in the days a Velocity Dual CD Player and no problems either and boy we did hammer that cd player :D, i wouldnt doubt that the VMS4 would be a great product for the price.
Onetidd 8:10 AM - 26 August, 2010
it's very a great product, many peoples use it with virtual dj but i prefer on traktor, it's a nice midi command.
Ragman 8:05 PM - 26 August, 2010
Yeh I use to rock one of their dualies back in the 90s. I used it for well over 6 years then eBay'd it for a good price. I was very close to getting the VCI300 MK2, but now it looks like it's going to come down to the MC6000, the Kontrol S4 or the VMS4. I really dig the sampler feature on the the S4. Wish Denon put out a video on the MC6000.
Eric N 5:31 PM - 28 September, 2010
I just got done watching some online vids of this thing in action, and I must say I'm seriously considering selling my VCI-300 and getting one. I only got the VCI for backup and for small shows where I don't want to bring out 1200s and a 57... but all of my shows are video and I don't like the way the VCI works with VDJ. Now that I have seen this thing doing video with VDJ AND with decent scratch performance, I am definitely intrigued...
DJ dVO 12:04 AM - 1 October, 2010
I was hoping that the VSM4 would pack with ITCH or Traktor LE but it didn't. A few other choices out there now though....
Eric N 2:50 PM - 1 October, 2010
Yeah, further research is steering me toward the Denon. Pretty much has all of the features of the VMS but in a more solid/pro configuration... plus reviews of the VMS have said the soundcard is not great.
DJ DubZillA 3:11 AM - 28 October, 2011
I just recently bought the VMS4 bundled with virtual dj. I, at first, had issues with the software due to an error on mac, but a forum on virtual dj's site solved that. Then my audio was only playing from one channel and i called american audio and they were very quick to help me resolve that setting issue. As for traktor i am looking into it and i have serato itch for other devices. I like the VMS4 so i feel like it is worth the sacrifice for the price. It beats spending 800 on a smaller Denon Rack Mountable MC6000, its very well built and the performance aspects are there. hope this helps
djetchaskratch@gmail.com 12:51 AM - 29 July, 2012
serato+records for life
jean-mehdi 8:54 PM - 9 September, 2014
Hi everyone,
that controller in my opinion is amazing,just receive mine and really think its awesome.
260 pounds on juno.com (i don t work for juno :) )
At the moment running on Mac Book Pro with Traktor 2.6.
But has many of you i have been using Serato for years and must admit that it rocks!!!
Not a big Traktor Fan but really like that controller.
also have a vci 300 mk2 and i really feel the difference .

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

We really need Serato to work with that amazing controller
Erich Zahn 5:39 AM - 18 January, 2015
Has any one tried or sucessfully mapped Serato Video 1.1 to this controller yet?