Rane Mixers General Discussion

Talk about Rane's Mixers for Serato Scratch Live:
the Sixty-Eight, Sixty-Two, Sixty-One, and the TTM 57SL.

Rane TTM 56 vs 57sl?

omega_image 12:21 AM - 15 September, 2006
Hey Guys,

new to the board, basically figured its time to ugrade and wanted some opinions and information on the two mentioned mixers.

Currently looking at 2 options;

a.) Rane TTM 56 w/ serato + serato box

b.) Rane TTM 57sl w/ serato box

just wanted to know what (if) the key difference were between the two mixers beside the fact that i can plug my laptop into the 57sl directly.

any info would be great. thanks!
nik39 6:40 AM - 15 September, 2006
The 57SL has a lot of more functions than compared to a TTM56 and a separate SL1. It has all the controls, you dont need to touch your laptop at all. It has built-in EFX, which can be updated from your laptop! You can use it as a SL1 anyway. You can use the mixer as a 2 channel USB soundcard, recording both channels separately post-fader (great for mixtape recordings)... what did I forget? Well its a completely digital mixer which sounds great, IMHO.
dj KarrsiN 3:01 AM - 19 September, 2006
Quote:
The 57SL has a lot of more functions than compared to a TTM56 and a separate SL1. It has all the controls, you dont need to touch your laptop at all. It has built-in EFX, which can be updated from your laptop! You can use it as a SL1 anyway. You can use the mixer as a 2 channel USB soundcard, recording both channels separately post-fader (great for mixtape recordings)... what did I forget? Well its a completely digital mixer which sounds great, IMHO.

I concur! I got my 57 last week and I am very happy with it.
grrillatactics 3:11 PM - 19 September, 2006
As a former owner of a 56 and a current owner of a 57, I would have to agree with nik that the functionality of the 57 is far superior to using a 56 and SL1 with SSL. There is just a better sense of control with the 57 due to the built-in control surface. Don't forget that the 57 is essentially future-proof, in that it can be updated via firmware updates.
nobspangle 5:36 PM - 19 September, 2006
I also think that the 57 sounds a bit better, maybe it's because all the eqing and mixing happens in the digital domain.
omega_image 6:41 PM - 19 September, 2006
wicked thanks guys, looks as if i'll be splurging and grabbing the 57.
rock it 9:54 PM - 19 September, 2006
I got the 57 and now the SL1 box has been promoted to backup.
Paul M 5:06 PM - 26 September, 2006
Don't forget that the 57SL has built-in mains power supply.
thebman18 10:27 AM - 21 January, 2007
What do you guys think about the 56's fader mode options (1 & 2) and independent countour controls for A and B on the crossfader? The 57 does not have these features. Anything worth thinking twice about?
shiestO! 5:46 PM - 21 January, 2007
question: about the 57

in relative mode, are the cue point buttons (1-5 or 6-0)replaced by buttons or switches on the mixer? or will you still be hitting the keyboard keys to cue the pre-saved cue points?
Thundercat 6:00 PM - 21 January, 2007
You have to touch the keyboard to type in the search field. That's pretty much the only time I touch my computer. Everything else I do from the 57.
grrillatactics 6:49 PM - 22 January, 2007
Quote:
What do you guys think about the 56's fader mode options (1 & 2) and independent countour controls for A and B on the crossfader? The 57 does not have these features. Anything worth thinking twice about?

I don't know of anyone that made use of the fader modes on the 56. Also, I always had both sides of the crossfader on my 56 set to the fastest cut, so setting the one slider on the 57 to "fast" covers that for me as well. I would still vote the following
57>56
nik39 7:47 PM - 22 January, 2007
I just used it to train me left hand...
Loopman 8:51 PM - 22 January, 2007
the only bad thing about the 57 is that you'll have to bring it everywhere you dj because you'll refuse to work on a "regular" mixer again once you get used to the Serato controls on the 57 :)
DJ K-otik 8:14 AM - 24 January, 2007
I'm still learning to use the keyboard controls while also trying to master the 57's built-in controls for that reason. I still use the keyboard for searching and switching modes, but that's mostly because I can't figure out where I want to assign them on the mixer (bad problem to have, right?)

And as for the TTM-56, I always kept both sides of the crossfader at full curve. The second mode on the crossfader is for juggles (I think), but doesn't work well for me for that purpose. As for the channel fader's pan mode, I tried using them to do a panning-crab-type scratch, but found that a little hard to do for more than a few seconds. In all, those extra fader modes and independent curve control don't beat having on-board Serato control.
thebman18 11:42 AM - 27 January, 2007
I happened to see DJ AM here in Detroit at Plan B nightclub on Wednesday, January 24, 2007. First of all, I must say WOW! He is impressive. He is very good at what he does. It was an awesome performance.

I also got a chance to watch him work up in the DJ booth. A friend of mine owns the club.

I happened to find that DJ AM uses the SL1 and a TTM 56. I wondered why not the TTM 57SL ? I thought, well maybe that's becuase that's all the club had, but it can't be. My friend Pete, who owns the club and also DJs, was using the TTM 57SL the other night. And, to my surprise, there it was, the TTM 57SL was sitting there turned off and not in use in the right corner of the booth.

I also got some cool photos of DJ AM mixing. I just wonder why he, as it seems, prefers the TTM 56 mixer V.S. the TTM 57SL or does he?

What do you guys think?

FYI:

-----DJ AM was also using 2 Technics 1210M5G Turntables with Shure M44-7 cartridges, Technics headphones (not sure of the model), MacBook Pro 15 inch laptop, and Rane TTM 56, and Rane Serato Scratch Live SL1 Box. He had no through outputs or MIC connected. He also had a CDJ-1000 that he later used to continue his set so he could pack up and leave. I think that belonged to the club.
Thundercat 3:58 PM - 27 January, 2007
The most obvious answer would be familiarity. The 57 is less than a year old.
thebman18 8:03 PM - 28 January, 2007
Good point. I would have to agree on that.
bumpsdick 11:22 AM - 22 February, 2007
Here in LA i see AM around once or twice a week, always using the SL1 and some sort of mixer. He's probably unfamiliar with the TTM57SL.
DJ Hugh Tyson 1:00 AM - 23 February, 2007
Yeah we booked AM at the club I work at in December, and in order to have him play, you have to have a 56. We have a Rane empath, which is very close to a 56, only with three channels instead of two. His manager said no dice, we have to have a 56, so just for his set, we had to send the manager $500, he then mailed us the 56, and refunded us $400 off AMs price.
thebman18 8:29 AM - 4 March, 2007
Wow, I guess when you're that requested than you can make those requests! But, I have to say, I also like the TTM 56. It's still great!
skratchnerd 9:07 PM - 20 March, 2007
Question: Do the extra FX work when you DON'T have a laptop hooked up?
nobspangle 9:26 PM - 20 March, 2007
Quote:
Question: Do the extra FX work when you DON'T have a laptop hooked up?

Currently you can only use the echo and the low pass filter, it's not possible to select the high pass or band pass filters without using a mouse.
Hopefully this will be resolved by a future firmware revision.
Trauma_j 12:33 AM - 21 March, 2007
just got my 57.. can't see why you'd ever need anything else. seems much more practical than carrying round sl box and mixer..

The fact that you don't have to keep leaving the decks and reaching for the keyboard is a massive bonus. I almost got *tantons *inal *cratch... SO VERY PLEASED I DIDN'T. Enjoy!!
latindj 6:15 PM - 21 March, 2007
Just ordered my 57 yesterday...I've never used SSL before and am really looking forward to it! Can you offer a NOOB any advice on how to start? I've seen the demos and have a basic understanding but is there anything not stated there that I should be weary of? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
abetheassassin 8:19 PM - 21 March, 2007
I have to use the 57 tonight for mix master mike show. but I have sl1 and box can I just "hook into the 57 mixer and play" or do I need an upgrade to do that?
nobspangle 8:37 PM - 21 March, 2007
Quote:
I have to use the 57 tonight for mix master mike show. but I have sl1 and box can I just "hook into the 57 mixer and play" or do I need an upgrade to do that?

Make sure you have at least version 1.6 on your laptop and if you are using XP you will need to install the drivers
abetheassassin 9:28 PM - 21 March, 2007
Oh Im on a powerbook g4 think it will work?
SpinThis! 10:19 PM - 21 March, 2007
@abe: what nobs mentioned. If you have 1.6 or better, that's all you need on Mac.