-
Ryan B 12:17 PM - 21 November, 2009
Product: scratchlive
Version: 1.9.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.5.6
---

i have a 13" macbook with 4gb ram and a 320 gb HD on OS X LEOPARD 10.5.6 which has 80gb of music on it....until now i have never had a problem until last week...i was playin as usual on 1.9.1(90% sure it was 1.9.1) and 45 mins into the night the music cut out.......the waveform went grey but the track overview was still there and the virtual deck was still playing.....so i checked my hard drive this week, ok, found out which usb was the best and used that this week on 1.9.2....3 hours into the set...the same again...but instead of panicking and restarting...i tried to load up another track to the virtual deck.....it loaded and the waveform appeared and the virtual deck was playing but the actual track didnt play in either relative or internal..the signal indicator was full grey so i knew there was something coming from the turntable...thinking of formatting the mac and going back to 1.8.3....please help
Ryan B 12:39 PM - 21 November, 2009
oh forgot to add...there was no usb drop out indicator
Ryan B 12:40 PM - 21 November, 2009
"i tried to load up another track to the virtual deck.....it loaded and the waveform appeared and the virtual deck was playing but the actual track didnt play in either relative or internal

what i mean by this is the waveform wasnt moving either but the virtual deck was spinning
Michael R 1:25 AM - 23 November, 2009
Hi Ryan B,

We have heard of this happening before, it's usually due to a hard drive stalling issue in Mac OS X. Apple have released a fix for this (Performance Update 1.0) which you can download here -> support.apple.com (click link). Please install this update and let me know how it goes :)
DJ_SPAZ 2:39 AM - 23 November, 2009
I had a very similar situation happen last night PRIME TIME on a packed dancefloor.
Only difference is decks were not spnnin in relative mode same outcome though tracks would not play in either relative or internal

I have a new 13" Macbook 4Gb ram and 500gig hardrive.

I'm on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and the performance upgrade only works on 10.6.1
I really need to find a fix for this ASAP.
DJ_SPAZ 2:41 AM - 23 November, 2009
Btw i was also on 1.9.1 upgraded to 1.9.2 this morning thinking it might help
Ryan B 7:44 PM - 23 November, 2009
my macbook is a mid 2007 model and is not eligible for this upgrade...any other ideas? workarounds? would changing to an external drive make any difference, even though the program itself will still be on the internal hard drive? would you say the hard drive stall is causing serato to crash or is it just the data(music) thats the problem?
Vesh 8:09 PM - 23 November, 2009
It might be because you were using an older version of Serato with the Leopard update. Try out the new version, I've done 4 gigs with it which were about 5-6 hours long and I didn't get any problems (I too have a new Macbook but 15" with Snow Leopard 10.6.2)... Upgrade to the new version, should fix it most likely
Michael R 2:52 AM - 25 November, 2009
Hey Ryan,

Quote:
my macbook is a mid 2007 model and is not eligible for this upgrade...

Ok, thanks for trying that out :) It would be good to know which firmware you have installed for your hard drive. Can you please do the following:

1) Click on the Apple symbol in the top left hand corner of your screen and select About This Mac.
2) A pop-up window will appear, click More Info...
3) You will now see a new window displaying your Hardware Overview. Please copy and paste this info into this thread.
4) Click on the Serial-ATA option in the left hand column.
5) You will now see more information displayed. Please copy and past the info from the bottom window into this thread.

Quote:
would changing to an external drive make any difference, even though the program itself will still be on the internal hard drive?

Possibly, if it is the internal hard drive that is causing the problem ;) We'll work on it a bit more and see if this ends up being a feasible solution.

Quote:
would you say the hard drive stall is causing serato to crash or is it just the data(music) thats the problem?

If the hard drive is stalling it will stop Scratch Live being able to read the data from the music file (hence the waveform disappearing).

Quote:
any other ideas?

Actually, yes I do have a couple ;) Are all your files analyzed, and if so do you remember (roughly) which version of Scratch Live they were analyzed with? Also if you go to the display tab in the setup screen, what do you have the audio cache set to?