Serato Video and Video-SL General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Ripping in Handbrake - 29.97 fps, 23.976 fps - what's the deal!

DJ DisGrace 2:35 AM - 9 October, 2009
I've been ripping Promo Only DVDs with Handbrake since I started over a year ago.

Some of them turn out great.... others have a crazy audio lag, making them unusable unless I remux the audio - which I don't mind doing to get them right. Not all the videos (from the same dvd) end up out of sync, just some of them.

When I open these out of sync .mp4 files in Vegas to align the audio track for the remux, the audio track is shorter than the video track! What gives! Is there a magic Handbrake setting I am missing?

It seems that more and more of my videos now end up with this lag, and I only have time to remux so many videos a week before I lose my mind!

Now I've read on the forum (a-swift's advice) somewhere that new videos are filmed at film speed (23.976 fps). However, because the DVDs are NTSC, you would assume they have been mastered to 29.97. In the past I've just selected the frame rate at "same as source" but this obviously doesn't seem to do it. I've recently been setting the framerate to 29.97, but still getting out of sync vids....

Should I be ripping and converting at 23.976???? Is there a way to predict which videos will be out of sync????

help me keep my sanity!
DJ DisGrace 2:36 AM - 9 October, 2009
I'm doing my latest DVD rip at both 23.976 and 29.97 - will post some moviebatch info when done....
a-swift 5:17 AM - 9 October, 2009
Promo Only DVDs are 29.97. Nevermind what I said about 23.97, that's how the videos are shot. They are converted before they get on DVD. Whatever the framerate, you should not be changing it in Handbrake at all.
DJ DisGrace 1:08 PM - 9 October, 2009
Thanks a-Swift.... so I can assume that videos which end up out of sync were just poorly mastered? This has also happened on a few retail DVDs (Beastie Boys, ATCQ, Run-DMC)...

I've tried ripping to VOB and converting with Visual Hub, but still get a lag with certain videos. What a pain..... remember when u used to just buy vinyl and stuff it in your crate?
a-swift 7:20 PM - 9 October, 2009
If your VOB file looks out of sync, this is pretty normal. Not easy to fix since the video sync in some parts is usually more or less than other parts. This is why I don't bother fixing them.