Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

A-Swifts Tutorials

djbigboy 6:24 PM - 8 October, 2009
He did a recap somewhere but I just put these links all together. Thanks for him again for helping us all out. I am hoping someone can sticky this post. If there are any new ones, hopefully we'll be able to add to it.

List of Tutorials:

Tutorial #1 (The FCP Sessions)
www.vjaswift.com

Tutorial #2 (A very quick time-remapping tutorial)
www.vjaswift.com

Making A Dj Logo in Motion:

www.scratchlive.net
vjaswift.com

All About Remuxing
www.scratchlive.net
Flash: www.vjaswift.com
QT: www.vjaswift.com
a-swift 6:49 PM - 8 October, 2009
Thanks for putting these together. I feel like one is missing though. I can't place it.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 11:14 PM - 8 October, 2009
Good idea- thanks!

**Stickied**
djrayray0981 11:34 PM - 8 October, 2009
WOW!! A-Swift got a Sticky. About time.
djpuma_gemini 7:00 PM - 9 October, 2009
Damn, big ups to a-swift, you've been sticky'd. (no homo)
a-swift 2:34 AM - 10 October, 2009
hey. that's pretty cool. a sticky for swifty.
a-swift 2:41 AM - 10 October, 2009
As long as we have a sticky, I'll take some recommendations for future tutorials. Kenny Q has already put his vote in. He wants a tutorial on how to put together awesome DVDs using DVD Studio Pro.

Any other recommendations?
PopRoXxX 2:59 AM - 10 October, 2009
I would like to learn how you do all those cool background displays like in your video mixes where you video is part of the background not just everything. Like your most recent video mix you posted, the intro where your video is part of the abstract background! $weetne$$!!
a-swift 4:18 AM - 10 October, 2009
Quote:
I would like to learn how you do all those cool background displays like in your video mixes where you video is part of the background not just everything. Like your most recent video mix you posted, the intro where your video is part of the abstract background! $weetne$$!!

All about greenscreen / compositing. Maybe I should do one on that.
bandoma 6:23 PM - 10 October, 2009
who is this a-swift character?
Funkytownstopsix 7:36 PM - 10 October, 2009
When the teach appears the student will listen...
PopRoXxX 10:52 PM - 10 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

All about greenscreen / compositing. Maybe I should do one on that.

Greenscreening will be cool. But I'm also talking about where it says "A-Swift - Live Video Mix" and how your video is incorporated into the background with all the shapes and effects going on (almost 3D like) at the very beginning of your latest mix. I've seen some other guys with this stuff at the beginning and ending of their mixes. I know it's post production work. But it's freakin' sweet. But also good props on the greenscreening with you mixing in front too!
a-swift 2:29 AM - 11 October, 2009
Quote:

Greenscreening will be cool. But I'm also talking about where it says "A-Swift - Live Video Mix" and how your video is incorporated into the background with all the shapes and effects going on (almost 3D like) at the very beginning of your latest mix. I've seen some other guys with this stuff at the beginning and ending of their mixes. I know it's post production work. But it's freakin' sweet. But also good props on the greenscreening with you mixing in front too!

I think you've got a good idea going. That effect was done with a simple Motion template so I can't take credit for it. A tutorial on how to put together stuff like that with the Motion templates would probably get a lot of use though.
PopRoXxX 5:15 PM - 11 October, 2009
yeah. i thought it might be motion. that's some cool stuff. definitely willing to learn! thanks again "swifty" :-P
Dj K.Smith 9:04 PM - 11 October, 2009
Swift I wanna see a tutorial for us mac rookies who wanna replace their internal hard drives with a bigger hard drive...
a-swift 10:52 PM - 11 October, 2009
Quote:
Swift I wanna see a tutorial for us mac rookies who wanna replace their internal hard drives with a bigger hard drive...

I already made this tutorial, if you're using a pre-unibody macbook pro. Made that one like 8 months ago!

www.vjaswift.com
Dj K.Smith 12:06 AM - 12 October, 2009
They're both unibody mac's...

Early 2009 macbook and a late 2009 Macbook Pro...

Hook that up dreadlock, lol...
a-swift 12:46 AM - 12 October, 2009
Quote:
They're both unibody mac's...

Early 2009 macbook and a late 2009 Macbook Pro...

Hook that up dreadlock, lol...

When I buy a unibody, that's when I'll make a video on now to replace the hard drive for one. Not planning that anytime soon.
Millz 1:42 AM - 12 October, 2009
The question is...has anyone taken the cd rom drive out of their new macbook pro's and replaced it with a 2nd hard drive...Im getting to the point where I either 1. have to go from a 500 internal to a 1tb internal or take my cd rom drive out and put in a 1tb. Yes I know I can put the files on the external drive, but there is a method to my madness....
DJ-Phat-AL 3:08 AM - 12 October, 2009
^^ what he said

I was considering doing the same with my pre-unibody mac.
Millz 3:25 AM - 12 October, 2009
the problem with my unibody is that applecare says if I either 1. do it myself or 2. have an apple certified person do it, it will void my warranty...but a friend of mine did it, and when he had a problem with his mac non related to the hdd, he took out the hdd and put back in the cd rom and apple had no clue...
Funkytownstopsix 3:39 AM - 12 October, 2009
Say Phat if you do it to your pre uni let me know what you did... I would give my cd rom in a heart beat to add a 750...
Millz 3:40 AM - 12 October, 2009
..it would just be my luck that i would fuck something up haha
Funkytownstopsix 2:57 AM - 13 October, 2009
swift who is your sever provider my server has went slow all of a sudden..
Funkytownstopsix 3:35 AM - 13 October, 2009
I mean who is hosting your website.... Mine all of sudden sucks.... shoot me some info.
a-swift 5:43 AM - 13 October, 2009
Dreamhost. Highly recommended. Tons of space. Tons of bandwidth. Pennies a year. Fast.
Funkytownstopsix 12:41 PM - 13 October, 2009
Last question what package...
a-swift 4:29 PM - 13 October, 2009
They change the packages so I don't know.
Funkytownstopsix 4:34 PM - 13 October, 2009
Are you on a deticated sever or vnp.....or just a reg shared with unlimited banwith that they offer... Sorry to bugging u teacher...
a-swift 7:39 PM - 13 October, 2009
Quote:
A-Swift tutorials are the new crack.

the first hit is always free!
AO_Mixtape_DJ 11:26 PM - 13 October, 2009
is there a way to split up long dvd mix? by chapters on a certain spot that i choose?
DJ-Phat-AL 12:54 AM - 14 October, 2009
cinematize works great for that.
a-swift 2:13 AM - 14 October, 2009
Quote:
is there a way to split up long dvd mix? by chapters on a certain spot that i choose?

DVD Studio Pro let's you add chapters wherever you want. Or you can specify the chapter markers in FCP and DVD SP will import them, or compressor. Using the Final Cut Studio apps is pretty easy to specify the chapter points to be where ever you want.
Funkytownstopsix 2:33 AM - 14 October, 2009
how bout chapters in an mp4 is that possible.
a-swift 3:26 AM - 14 October, 2009
Quote:

yes, final cut studio can put chapters in your mp4 or aac audio files. this is how video podcasts are done.

this is how long DJ mixes really are supposed to be done when you put them up for download. nothing worse than an hour long dj mix with no chapter points so you can fast forward through it. just one long ass mp3 file.

also, all of my mp4 movies that i encode at home from dvd, have all the original chapter points preserved in the mp4. this is how it should be done.
Funkytownstopsix 3:48 AM - 14 October, 2009
thanks teacher...
AO_Mixtape_DJ 5:35 AM - 14 October, 2009
nice, thanks again for the insight and help.

i didnt know i could do it in FCP.

will look into that...
Culprit 4:16 PM - 14 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

yes, final cut studio can put chapters in your mp4 or aac audio files. this is how video podcasts are done.

this is how long DJ mixes really are supposed to be done when you put them up for download. nothing worse than an hour long dj mix with no chapter points so you can fast forward through it. just one long ass mp3 file.

also, all of my mp4 movies that i encode at home from dvd, have all the original chapter points preserved in the mp4. this is how it should be done.

::jumps on the bandwagon for fcp::
a-swift 7:55 PM - 14 October, 2009
Quote:
I stopped tracking my mixes a long time ago. It makes you listen to the whole mix rather that just skip through it all. Usually if someone gives me a mix that's tracked then I just skip through it where as if it's one long file I usually just listen to it all (unless it's garbage then it gets thrown out the window)

well chapter points on a CD are still a must. i hate when djs give me a mix CD it's one hour long track!
StevenWayne 4:36 PM - 22 October, 2009
just saw this sticky....long overdue man, good job
Mr.Nice 2:50 AM - 23 October, 2009
I am speechless at how much this intro to FCP has helped me. THANK YOU :)

The one thing it didn't cover though is exporting to the best VSL settings, are there any tutorials on exporting from FCP?
a-swift 2:55 AM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
I am speechless at how much this intro to FCP has helped me. THANK YOU :)

The one thing it didn't cover though is exporting to the best VSL settings, are there any tutorials on exporting from FCP?

What's up Nice. Thanks for checking out the tutorials.

Exporting is really covered pretty well on the forums here. Also, I don't use FCP to make my mp4 files. I export to Uncompressed from FCP and use ffmpeg on linux to make my mp4 files. Since that workflow is not real useful for most people, I let the people who are compressing on the mac comment about the best settings to use.
VJBill 5:58 PM - 23 October, 2009
a-swift. Mad props for your willingness to share your knowledge with the community. Very much appreciated! I have a question - the guy on your Tutorial #1 (The FCP Sessions) reviewed his batch program to rip/tag/encode videos auto-magically. Can you provide a link or info to where and when we can get our hands on it. I am sick of staying up all night typing song title/artist/BPM info.
Mr.Nice 9:20 AM - 24 October, 2009
Thanks Swift, once again really appreciate all this help!
a-swift 7:28 PM - 24 October, 2009
Quote:
a-swift. Mad props for your willingness to share your knowledge with the community. Very much appreciated! I have a question - the guy on your Tutorial #1 (The FCP Sessions) reviewed his batch program to rip/tag/encode videos auto-magically. Can you provide a link or info to where and when we can get our hands on it. I am sick of staying up all night typing song title/artist/BPM info.

nik39 is the guy who had that program. he's still working on it. we're ALL waiting for it. he'll post it here when it's ready to go.
s42000 4:10 AM - 6 November, 2009
sweeeeeeet !
DJ Ambassador Jr. 9:25 PM - 27 November, 2009
a-swift YOU RULE!!!! Thanks these tutorials are CRUCIAL!!
a-swift 11:46 PM - 27 November, 2009
Thanks ambassador. Tell a friend!
Dj Ace 7:22 AM - 4 December, 2009
its better to get FCP instead of other FCE?
a-swift 5:58 PM - 4 December, 2009
FCE is missing some crucial functionality. I'd even take it step further and even say that Final Cut Pro is not even enough. You really want Final Cut Studio. Save up and buy it. It's not that expensive and it's worth every penny and then some.
Funkytownstopsix 8:09 PM - 4 December, 2009
Not that I am an editing guru but A-Swift is right. I have FCE and FCP and I can do way more in FCP, motion came with FCP and really that's the only thing I use, the programs look the same but trust me they are not. As a matter of fact I had to get FCP to do something I could not do in FCE that Swift helped me with last year sometime. Start with PRO but damn Studio cost... : ) really they all do so that's why Swift does the edits I just buy what I want... Keep up that editing A-Swift.... when is the next class?
a-swift 12:02 AM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:
Keep up that editing A-Swift.... when is the next class?

I got something coming up. Now,... will we be able to edit the sticky and get it linked up top?
DJ-Phat-AL 6:00 AM - 6 December, 2009
BTW... I for whatever reason couldn't get quicktime to work with the remuxing of mp4 videos on a PC. I tried three different computers and different MP4 videos. The easiest FREE method is a program called YAMB. You can demux and remux and everything on this application. I know A-Swift mainly shows apps relating to MAC so for those who are not 100% using MAC's as their main workstation I would suggest YAMB if you have problems with Quicktime not working out right.

yamb.unite-video.com
a-swift 7:58 PM - 6 December, 2009
Yeah that's weird Al. I assumed that the PC version of Quicktime would work the same way if you've upgraded to Quicktime Pro, although I never tested it as I don't have any Windows computers.

I did just go through my steps again from the tutorial and the Quicktime method is solid. Still my favorite way to remux mp4.
Funkytownstopsix 11:23 PM - 6 December, 2009
Come on Phat all wheres the tutorial....what up with that... :)
DJ-Phat-AL 12:13 AM - 7 December, 2009
I don't have all the High-Def cameras and green screens to film me giving a tutorials. That's all A-Swift! If he only knew PC's stuff.... hmmm...
dj vmb 9:55 PM - 7 December, 2009
Quote:
Yeah that's weird Al.

clever
DJ-Phat-AL 10:46 PM - 7 December, 2009
ha... just got that.
FunkyRob 7:31 AM - 10 December, 2009
LOL, is he white and nerdy?
DJ-Phat-AL 7:45 AM - 10 December, 2009
more like brown and gifted
DJ DisGrace 1:53 PM - 11 December, 2009
finally had some time to watch the remux vid.... def picked a few time-saving pointers.

Thanks A-Swift!
dj vegas 9:22 PM - 12 December, 2009
www.vjaswift.com not working i think lol!
a-swift 10:30 PM - 12 December, 2009
Why is that funny DJ Vegas? Try downloading the mp4 file directly.

www.vjaswift.com
DJ'Que 12:03 AM - 19 December, 2009
its working i just watched it.
DVDJ ©RUSH 10:45 PM - 19 December, 2009
I would be more than happy to do a tutural while your down here Swift on Green Screen I'm actually just about to finish up official fatman scoop dj class new years anthem video all green screen. However please don't expect killa graphics on this one for my turnaround in post production wasn't very much. It will be exclusive to SV.
PopRoXxX 10:50 PM - 19 December, 2009
sweet!!!
a-swift 11:10 PM - 19 December, 2009
Quote:
I would be more than happy to do a tutural while your down here Swift on Green Screen I'm actually just about to finish up official fatman scoop dj class new years anthem video all green screen. However please don't expect killa graphics on this one for my turnaround in post production wasn't very much. It will be exclusive to SV.

Yeah man, I've been doing a LOT of greenscreen stuff lately. I'd pretty much say I'm an expert at it by now. Using Shake almost exclusively for creating mattes now too but can get the job done quick and dirty in AE, FCP or Motion. Those are OK for compositing but they all suffer from being "Timeline Based" applications, Shake is node based.

Anyway, not sure if I'm bringing my camera or not. It's really expensive to ship.
a-swift 11:58 PM - 19 December, 2009
Guys, it's been a while since the last tutorial. Honestly, every time I think of a good idea for a tutorial, there's already a million other tutorials that cover it. I'll come up with something good though.
DJ-Phat-AL 11:58 PM - 19 December, 2009
Make a tutorial on how to make tutorials!!
a-swift 12:00 AM - 20 December, 2009
Quote:
Make a tutorial on how to make tutorials!!

Haha. Don't joke, I actually thought about dissecting one of my videos and doing kind of a how-to on how I did all the compositing, and everything.
isaiahjeremiah 2:23 AM - 20 December, 2009
the videos aren't loading for me in safari.. its just showing the quicktime symbol. Any ideas ?
jbnyc 3:20 PM - 20 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah man, I've been doing a LOT of greenscreen stuff lately. I'd pretty much say I'm an expert at it by now. Using Shake almost exclusively for creating mattes now too but can get the job done quick and dirty in AE, FCP or Motion. Those are OK for compositing but they all suffer from being "Timeline Based" applications, Shake is node based.

Anyway, not sure if I'm bringing my camera or not. It's really expensive to ship.

what kind of camera do you have swift?
a-swift 5:25 PM - 20 December, 2009
Quote:

i have a few cameras. the good one is called a viper though. yeah, i know,... you've never heard of it.
a-swift 5:26 PM - 20 December, 2009
Quote:
the videos aren't loading for me in safari.. its just showing the quicktime symbol. Any ideas ?

i think it's my web host. sometimes it' trippin. you just picked the wrong day to check out the videos. i'm thinking about re-hosting them all on vimeo.
isaiahjeremiah 7:54 PM - 20 December, 2009
its workings now, but for some reason my fcp wont install. iI says i dont meet the system requirements and i have a mpb unibody.
VJ Justin Allen 8:01 PM - 20 December, 2009
It's a shame that Shake has been discontinued.
a-swift 8:47 PM - 20 December, 2009
Quote:
It's a shame that Shake has been discontinued.

agreed, the Shake replacement apps are very good (nuke for example) but you can't beat $500 price of shake. Hands down, the most powerful app you can buy for $500. Also it's easily one if the most powerful yet simple apps ever made. Usually simple apps are just that. Simple, no power. Like iMovie.
a-swift 8:49 PM - 20 December, 2009
And Apple is kidding itself if it thinks Motion is anywhere near Shake in capability. AE crushes Motion but I'll always say the the FCP Studio is best all around. You just might need to get AE to fill the gaps.
DVDJ ©RUSH 9:02 PM - 20 December, 2009
i want shake
NOW
DVDJ ©RUSH 9:02 PM - 20 December, 2009
ha
jbnyc 3:23 AM - 21 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

i have a few cameras. the good one is called a viper though. yeah, i know,... you've never heard of it.

matter fact i do, i do music videos thats why i asked, i have a canon sl2, nothing close to a viper or an arri but im a big fan of cinematography, im subscribed on few mags, so i read a lot about cameras, i asked you cause im like "why does he needs to ship the camera for" now i know lol, can i see some of your work with the viper? :)
a-swift 4:23 AM - 21 December, 2009
Quote:
"why does he needs to ship the camera for" now i know lol, can i see some of your work with the viper? :)

when i recorded kris p. spinning in kansas city, i carried on the viper and a change of clothes in my carry on. what a nightmare that was since i was paranoid something would break, even with me carrying it by hand, it was well packed but you only have so much room with a carry on. the trip to crush's birthday though is 3 days clothes, plus I have my DJ gear. no way I can carry all that on plus a camera, forget about tripod, monitor or any of the other stuff I need to shoot with.

most of the stuff i posted online from the viper was all run and gun stuff, nothing lit properly, color balance all over the place, super low light, etc. clubs are about the worst place possible to shoot video in.

we just wrapped a short film on thursday, shot with the viper. lots of good footage there. i wasn't the dp, he flew down from alaska to shoot it. he was impressed with the rig though. it was a 10 day shoot, shot on Zeiss digiprimes and a digizoom. I promised the director no leaks of footage until it's been through post. I can show you some behind the scenes footage though. It was a lot of fun, my first time putting the viper on a techno-crane. that was awesome.
jbnyc 4:43 AM - 21 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

we just wrapped a short film on thursday, shot with the viper. lots of good footage there. i wasn't the dp, he flew down from alaska to shoot it. he was impressed with the rig though. it was a 10 day shoot, shot on Zeiss digiprimes and a digizoom. I promised the director no leaks of footage until it's been through post. I can show you some behind the scenes footage though. It was a lot of fun, my first time putting the viper on a techno-crane. that was awesome.

thats awesome, i love short films! are you editing the whole thing? and would love to see some behind the scenes, can you talk about the film? what is it about? i wrote a short film but i dont want to shoot it wth the canon, im saving for a sony pmw ex1, its an awesome camera. for now im working on a show for my daughters, i stopped doing music videos for now, til i get a better camera, if you want to check few of them check them out,tell me what u think, be gentle, is an xl2 lol

www.myspace.com
a-swift 5:17 AM - 21 December, 2009
Quote:
i stopped doing music videos for now, til i get a better camera, if you want to check few of them check them out,tell me what u think, be gentle, is an xl2 lol

i bought my JVC HD100 to shoot music videos with. That is one awesome camera but after looking at the quality of videos today, I decided an HDV camera is just not good enough. 1/3 sensors are just not sharp enough. So I put everything on hold until I got the right gear to do it right.
a-swift 3:24 PM - 21 December, 2009
Quote:
would love to see some behind the scenes

sent you a link in a PM.
dj vegas 7:45 PM - 23 December, 2009
Quote:
Why is that funny DJ Vegas? Try downloading the mp4 file directly.

www.vjaswift.com
The "i think" part is funny to me because i thought its some how my fault not yours! Someone els had the same problm tho.
jbnyc 9:15 PM - 23 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
i stopped doing music videos for now, til i get a better camera, if you want to check few of them check them out,tell me what u think, be gentle, is an xl2 lol

i bought my JVC HD100 to shoot music videos with. That is one awesome camera but after looking at the quality of videos today, I decided an HDV camera is just not good enough. 1/3 sensors are just not sharp enough. So I put everything on hold until I got the right gear to do it right.

well i think it depends the budget on who the video is for, if its for a mainstream artist your viper its the one hehe, but if you are gonna shoot a video for an up and coming artist who has 1500 for a video (if you are lucky to find one cause rappers are cheap nowadays lol) then your jvc is perfect for it!! my 2 cents, and good looks for the link
a-swift 12:42 AM - 24 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well i think it depends the budget on who the video is for, if its for a mainstream artist your viper its the one hehe, but if you are gonna shoot a video for an up and coming artist who has 1500 for a video (if you are lucky to find one cause rappers are cheap nowadays lol) then your jvc is perfect for it!! my 2 cents, and good looks for the link

Honestly, I look very closely at the videos from the biggest names in the business who have unlimited budget. Artists like Britney and Rihanna who have videos that are obviously made by discerning directors and in a studio system that does not compromise quality. Those videos are crazy sharp and with top notch post.

I read the production notes from a lot of work so I know what they're shooting with.

I also look at music videos shot with crap equipment. They don't look good. I know how hard it is to do all the work involved with shooting something, it just makes no sense how you would go through all that preparation and work involved, only to capture your permanent record on subpar equipment.

A fully loaded RED rig can be had for $300 a day so there literally is no excuse for shooting a video on crap equipment.

I'm fully aware of the downside of rentals though. Kinda hard to get spontaneous footage of an impromptu performance when you don't have a rental with you. Again, I know the best camera for the job is the one you have with you.
jbnyc 1:51 AM - 24 December, 2009
i never heard of a place in new york that rents a fully loaded RED rig for 300 a day, but if you know of one i would really appretiate it, cause i would like to start shooting with real cameras lol, plus is not that easy to land music video production unless you know people that knows people, unfortunally i dont know people that knows people, so i have to escalate my way up, from shitty videos to ok videos to dope videos, and buying equipment on my way up, its hard for a father of 5 to keep up with djing and videos you know?lol
DVDJ ©RUSH 10:22 AM - 24 December, 2009
Quote:
i never heard of a place in new york that rents a fully loaded RED rig for 300 a day, but if you know of one i would really appretiate it, cause i would like to start shooting with real cameras lol, plus is not that easy to land music video production unless you know people that knows people, unfortunally i dont know people that knows people, so i have to escalate my way up, from shitty videos to ok videos to dope videos, and buying equipment on my way up, its hard for a father of 5 to keep up with djing and videos you know?lol

videoequiptmentrentals.com
a-swift 3:36 PM - 24 December, 2009
I just looked on craigslist, found a couple.
Dj SlimBrady 10:51 AM - 25 December, 2009
a-swift is there any good video tutorials on vegas movie studio pro that you know of. I see you are a mac user, but im just thinking that you may have a dj friend that is using pc. i am having a few problems. The sad thing is im the only dj in my town doing video so i dont know what to do, and all the video djs in my neighboring town are fkn stuck up and full of them selves. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
SlimBrady
a-swift 6:35 PM - 25 December, 2009
Quote:
a-swift is there any good video tutorials on vegas movie studio pro that you know of. I see you are a mac user, but im just thinking that you may have a dj friend that is using pc. i am having a few problems. The sad thing is im the only dj in my town doing video so i dont know what to do, and all the video djs in my neighboring town are fkn stuck up and full of them selves. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
SlimBrady

Haha SlimBrady. I know the type man. All a lot of video djs are stuck up and full of themselves. Luckily we have the forum homies on here to help us all out. I know a few Vegas users. djpuma_gemini is a Vegas dude and he can probably help you out. Post a thread in this forum, describe your problem and he'll probably see it.
Dj SlimBrady 11:45 PM - 25 December, 2009
djpuma_gemini: a-swift tells me you are a vegas user. I really could use some help. I have vegas movie studio 9 platinum pro pack. I am new to editing videos. Ive been djing videos for about 2 yrs and just now getting into editing. Im trying to start off slow by just doing a logo and have a major problem. when im done i render my project or hit the make a movie button and save my project to the sony mp4 setting. it saves and when i play back in quick time the video clip looks fine but my text is pixelated, worst part when i load the file to serato and drag it into the player, video-sl crashes. What am i doing wrong?
SteadFast 10:12 AM - 26 December, 2009
I just tried to do my first remux and i'm having some trouble. I have an mp4 that I switched out the audio using quicktime, but now the words are off when the artist is singing. How do I fix this?
a-swift 3:16 PM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:
I just tried to do my first remux and i'm having some trouble. I have an mp4 that I switched out the audio using quicktime, but now the words are off when the artist is singing. How do I fix this?

You must not have watched the whole tutorial. I explain that you need to line up the old audio and the new audio. I don't show it on the Quicktime method because it's shown in the previous method. No need to waste time in the tutorial showing how to line up audio AGAIN. The lining up audio is the same, no matter which remux method you use.

You must have skipped the step where I say take the unmuxed old audio and the new audio into an audio editing program. Add or remove silence to the beginning of the NEW audio so that it starts exactly at the same time as the old audio.

Obviously, the new audio needs to have the exact same structure as the old audio. That means the verses all need to be the same, in the same order, etc. If the song structure has changed, a simple remux will not work. You'll need to do a full blown edit.
SteadFast 9:33 PM - 26 December, 2009
Yea it looks like I will have to do a full edit. When I go to save the mp4 it says the time value is incorrect.

FCP does not read mp4s correct? So when I change the format of my mp4 to work in fcp will I lose quality?

I'm new to the video side so thanks for your patients with me a-swift!
Mozilla 9:39 AM - 14 January, 2010
Trying to a remux and when I get to the point in streamclip where you say to "hit demux" the demux is greyed out.

I am running snow lep and I am thinking that maybe you are not. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.
a-swift 4:55 PM - 14 January, 2010
Quote:
Trying to a remux and when I get to the point in streamclip where you say to "hit demux" the demux is greyed out.

I am running snow lep and I am thinking that maybe you are not. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

I'm running snow leopard too. Is the source file that you are trying to demux, a genuine MPEG2 file or some other type of encoding? Demux only works with proper MPEG2 files. If it's another type of file, you'll need to use another type of demux method, which I really didn't get into very deeply in these tutorials, since most of us are working with 1 of 2 types of sources, VOB from DVD subscriptions or mp4 from online video pools.
Mozilla 5:26 PM - 14 January, 2010
I was trying to demux a mp4 file from mymp3pool. I changed the file name to mpeg and had the same result. I bought QuickTime pro and mpeg2 clip thinking that was the problem and same result. Really frustrating and was wondering what do you rate the difficulty of remuxing from 1-10 with 10 being difficult? Thanks again.
a-swift 9:38 PM - 14 January, 2010
Quote:
I was trying to demux a mp4 file from mymp3pool. I changed the file name to mpeg and had the same result. I bought QuickTime pro and mpeg2 clip thinking that was the problem and same result. Really frustrating and was wondering what do you rate the difficulty of remuxing from 1-10 with 10 being difficult? Thanks again.

I rate demuxing a level one task. It really doesn't get any easier. MPEGStreamclip does not demux mp4 files, it works on mpeg2 only. You can name the file anything you want, you can even name it to an avi file and that won't change what kind of data is in the file. You can't change a file type just by changing the name.

Quicktime can demux a compatible mp4 file, and the method of demux is also covered in the tutorial.

Use the right tool for the job and I think you'll find this demuxing method is the most straightforward and fast way to replace the audio in a video file with 100% quality preserved.
Gianni_uk 8:05 PM - 16 March, 2010
oh.......my.....god.......Aswift is a legend! learned more watchin his videos tonight than readin manuals all week....!!
Steve Dub. 11:29 PM - 16 March, 2010
I say if Swift doesn't post a new tutorial soon we remove his sticky. nm
Funkytownstopsix 8:12 PM - 17 March, 2010
Quote:
I say if Swift doesn't post a new tutorial soon we remove his sticky. nm

+1

Funny thing is I don't try everything but I watch the videos at least 3 times. Then I get around my video friends and tell them how I do it... LOL well how swift taught me...
a-swift 6:48 PM - 18 March, 2010
Man, I deserve a sticky either way but you're all right. I do need a new tutorial. Finding topics and time to do it is hard though. Most of the stuff I want to do is covered (badly in some cases) by other tutorials already out there.
carter 7:17 PM - 18 March, 2010
I'm all for an IVTC in Compressor lesson. Love the sticky. I've watched these a few times already. Thanks.
DJ-Phat-AL 8:38 PM - 18 March, 2010
Well if A-Swift was a PC user there could be many more tutorials! But... he isn't...

And if I had the time I would crank out tutorials on the PC side of video production.
KMXE 10:49 PM - 18 March, 2010
Quote:
I'm all for an IVTC in Compressor lesson. Love the sticky. I've watched these a few times already. Thanks.

Agreed - im trying to find out how to IVTC a video with many pattern breaks and mixed telecined/progressive material so if this was also covered that would be awesome.
dj blackbelt 12:07 PM - 25 March, 2010
great tut man, thanks a lot!
Steve Dub. 5:47 PM - 31 March, 2010
Quote:
great butt man, thanks a lot!

hmmm.....
Blake Carrington III 8:09 AM - 12 April, 2010
[post removed]
DJ DisGrace 2:19 PM - 12 April, 2010
a-swift 6:18 PM - 12 April, 2010
Blake, I really wish you had not posted that in my tutorials thread.
dj blackbelt 12:14 PM - 20 April, 2010
Ok.
don't u think this tutorial should have started off by doing inverse telecine (IVTC) since they say you should NEVER edit any footage before making in progressive ???

That is why i'm not using Final cut but Vegas Pro Atm.

I tried to prepare my footage with Avsynth and save the uncompressed .avi from VirtuaDub but Final Cut Pro cant open but Vegas Pro can open.

plz let me know what u guys think.
a-swift 12:52 AM - 21 April, 2010
FCP does not support AVI files. Likely never will, for a lot of good reasons. Luckily, no one is asking Apple to include AVI editing capability. No cameras that I know of acquire in this format. No media delivery that I can think of is done in this format. Many features of advanced codecs can't be used with AVI either. Outside of the windows platform, support is very poor.
carter 5:20 AM - 21 April, 2010
Convert to ProRes as per the tutorials and haven't had a single problem with Final Cut. Thanks again Swift.
dj blackbelt 12:19 PM - 22 April, 2010
Ok, Please remember my only goal is try and get quality music videos just like anyone else.

I also do not intend to offend anyone.

Let me also add that the techniques used in this tutorial are helpful for Mac or Windows user.

There is a topic called Analysing Your DVD Footage from the forum attached below which states:

Instead of jumping straight into editing your video or making clips to edit with, will have a look at the footage you have so that you are aware of some of properties of it so you know what to do with it later. Inexperienced editors will often just edit with footage and then when they have finished realised they have a major quality issue that is hard to fix once everything is edited together. That's learning the hard way
www.animemusicvideos.org

To me it looks like Mr Swift just jumped into making clips to work with without doing the above step.

Quote:
Convert to ProRes as per the tutorials and haven't had a single problem with Final Cut. Thanks again Swift.

Convert to ProRes?? The tutorial say you convert to a High Quality Quicktime file to use in Final Cut then use the reconnect media option to relink later with the original .vob so you avoid have generational loss in the output file that you can later on convert with compressor to mp4.

To Mr A Swift.
I quoted you saying
Quote:
nik39 and I tried convincing everybody that the pulldown was ruining their videos years ago but no one seemed to care. they were happy to deinterlace the pulled down material (ruining it even further).

i'm glad to see some of you finally taking notice that the you need to remove the pulldown before editing or converting to mp4.

i just wish all dvd material was the same so the same process could be used for every video."

i also quote you saying "
Quote:
before my last tutorial i did, i actually was going to post a tutorial on pulldown removal. the topic was pretty much ignored by everyone so i just moved on to something different.

i'm just glad people are starting to take notice. the absolute worst are the sites that happily ruin pulled down material by deinterlacing it, and then selling the videos like that. this is the worst because once they've been deinterlaced, you'll never get back the 23.98 frames in tact.

i have plenty of ruined videos from the early days so i know what i'm talking about."

i also quote you saying
Quote:
maybe a tutorial for mac users is still in order though. compressor, after effects, custom scripts and shake can also remove pulldown on the mac. after effects is the only one though that can auto-detect the cadence AND allow you to override the detected cadence and supply your own pattern. compressor just auto-detects and you pretty much need to supply the cadence to shake in order for it to work.

also, i didn't watch his tutorial but I'd be concerned about source material that was shot with the so called "advanced pulldown" or 2:3:3:2 cadence. Obviously if the pulldown removal only knows how to deal with 3:2 (or 2:3, whichever you prefer), then it will seriously bungle source frames with 2:3:3:2 pulldown.

Anyway, glad to see people doing this. Now get someone from all those crap sites ruining videos to read this thread."

in the same forum someone asked you this
Quote:
"also for us mac users, has anybody been had this level of precision using ivtc within compressor? thanks in advance.."

you replied
Quote:
"on the mac, compressor will auto detect the cadence when doing reverse telecine. it's very easy.

after effects will let you autodetect the cadence, and override the detected setting if you like."

you also declared
Quote:
I'd put my mac tools against anything in windows. There's not much I can't solve with MPEGStreamclip, FCP, Compressor, After Effects, Shake, ffmpeg and mencoder."

and lastly i have quoted you saying

Quote:
"Update on Mac tutorials for IVTC fellas:

I've done a BUNCH of research on this and I've come to the conclusion that you can't IVTC music videos on the mac. Every single music video I've tested, all have broken cadence. There is no reason to believe that ANY video would have a single cadence that isn't broken.

The only way to IVTC files with broken cadence is to use an adaptive IVTC tool. That is, one that detects scene breaks and picks up new cadence as it identifies it. There is no software for the mac that does this, that I know of. If such software does exist, please let me know and I'll do further testing with that.

I use 3 different applications for removing 3:2 pulldown. AfterEffects, Shake and Compressor. All do a fine job. I like Compressor for simplicity. I like AfterEffects for it's auto guess cadence and manual override. I like Shake for its scriptability. None of them can account for broken cadence though. Which means, if trying to IVTC a music video, you'll almost certainly end up with a frakenstack of frames that are much worse than the 29.97 frames you started with.

If anyone has updated info, please let me know."

Ok, given that you never analyzed your footage before editing like the above forum states, this means that using your tutorial, we will have quality issues on the final mp4 files that you are encoding in compressor.

Remember, your update on Mac tutorials for IVTC was in a windows thread so i think what i am asking applies to everyone whether they are on windows or Mac platform how they are editing and encoding to get the best quality.

I still feel like i left out a bit of supporting evidence and questions.lol
Funkytownstopsix 1:02 PM - 22 April, 2010
Ohhhh shit... What the hell...... : ) Swift taught me how to reconnect to vob's when editing so I am a little lost on the above statement. Of course I am not defending Swift but if there is a better way to do this BlackBelt let me know when you start your thread so we can test it. Also please do a video so we can visually see how you do this step by step.
dj blackbelt 1:22 PM - 22 April, 2010
Hey Bro.As you can see, I am actually still a bit confused as well since i have been doing a lot of research as well.

what i do not understand is why A Swift never analysed the dvd footage when using . Otherwise i agree with the reconnect media option if you are reconnecting to footage that has already been analysed in DGindex and maybe you have already done IVTC to the footage.

I do not need to do a tutorial to analyse your footage because it has been done already by DJ Brett B here serato.com

I do not think i have to start a thread because i want A Swift to verify the details so we can all learn.
Funkytownstopsix 1:47 PM - 22 April, 2010
I said a step by step, just because you found it in a location does not mean everybody will or know of it. That's why a step by step from beginning to end would be more helpful then sending people all over the place to compile it. This is why swifts tutorials rock we see it as we go. It's cool to point stuff or say there is a better way but since you want to do that go all the way out there and post your tutorial so it can be scrutinized as well. Be sure to post your thread or pm it to me.
dj blackbelt 2:50 PM - 22 April, 2010
Hey Funk.

I was talking to A Swift since you see i have quoted him i was just jogging his memory from past threads so we get on the same page.

If you want basic step by step on how to analyse any sort of footage you get whether its from Promo only or footage you just ripped from DVD, here is the basic guide..Watchwww.youtube.com

Ps :No editing, just analysing footage and ecoding to mp4 for widows users.

And as far as i am concerned there has been no method better than this for mac users.

I am not trying to diss this tutorial, i'm rather trying to get some common ground with mac or windows users here.

No attitude please.

I agree with you, swift's tutorials rocks, but we are learning the hard way"

Even Swift agrees he doent know everything so lets relax.
I'm only trying to get all of us to understand this stuff more.

If i do anything tutorial in the future, which i am planning.I will post it up.Hopefully all who loves quality videos will particitipate.

Big Up to A Swift same way.
carter 4:08 PM - 22 April, 2010
ProRes IS a HQ mov file.
dj blackbelt 4:10 PM - 22 April, 2010
Quote:
ProRes IS a HQ mov file.

Yeh cheeers for that.
Do you get my argument though?
Funkytownstopsix 4:11 PM - 22 April, 2010
No attitude just tired of people pointing out stuff and then leaving as is. I think it's good to learn from the windows side as I am a PC guy. All I said is if you do it do it all the way I rather you start from beginning and go to the end so I can see exactly how it's done. Don't know how you got attitude from that. I was saying if you had a thread do it right so I can come and check it out, I for sure don't know jack but I have learned a lot for every video ever posted by anyone on these forums. So post your so I can learn damn...

FYI am a President of a Club and every meeting when some one comes up with something new I put them on the spot to do it as soon as I do they want to past the buck to this person that person and say you can get that info from here and there. When in fact they just should have came with everything to present not just hear say or showing me what someone else done. That might have bleed over when answering your post but honestly that's how I feel with my dealings with anyone. No tude dude. I want better quality if I can get so lets go there. Once again when you get your thread let me know pm me....
dj blackbelt 5:19 PM - 22 April, 2010
Oh man take it easy.

Sounds to me you are not even checking the links i provided even though you claim to be a PC guy.

Why dont we do the tutorial together so we learn as we go along? just a suggestion.

I Hope u have a chance to look at this link before we go any further because even when i do a tutorial i will still use the same steps of analysing footage.

Watchwww.youtube.com

i can go ahead try to simplify this same tutorial and if u really feel i have to.
dj blackbelt 5:23 PM - 22 April, 2010
Why should i waste time trying to do a tutorial that has already been covered well?

All i can do now is provide links so we can discuss faster.

Most of my quotes are for A Swift anyways so i will wait to hear his response before i go any further.
dj vmb 7:12 PM - 22 April, 2010
. No tude dude.
dj vmb 7:13 PM - 22 April, 2010
lol
a-swift 11:11 PM - 22 April, 2010
I've never done a ivtc tutorial so hopefully my comments didn't lead you to think I did. I've done lots of other tutorials though and continue to answer emails and private messages from people needing help with all of this stuff. Of course I don't know everything, anyone who tells you they do is full of shit. But, I think most people here respect what I have to say, and would tend to believe me when I state something as fact.

I guess I don't have any other comments here. If you have a specific question for me, just ask.
KMXE 11:54 PM - 22 April, 2010
Quote:
Instead of jumping straight into editing your video or making clips to edit with, will have a look at the footage you have so that you are aware of some of properties of it so you know what to do with it later. Inexperienced editors will often just edit with footage and then when they have finished realised they have a major quality issue that is hard to fix once everything is edited together. That's learning the hard way
www.animemusicvideos.org

grrrrr..... more reading over and over again, more trying to understand concepts, more thinking about whether i need to re-do my videos to improve on them

damn - buying records back in day was all you need to do - now you gotta be video editing professional! LOL!

Thanks for this link - any new info is always a good read and always good to re-evaluate your own workflow

im still not 100% happy with my vides but i dont know what else to do! hopefully i can find something to improve it
dj blackbelt 8:11 AM - 23 April, 2010
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
www.animemusicvideos.org

grrrrr..... more reading over and over again, more trying to understand concepts, more thinking about whether i need to re-do my videos to improve on them

damn - buying records back in day was all you need to do - now you gotta be video editing professional! LOL!

Thanks for this link - any new info is always a good read and always good to re-evaluate your own workflow

im still not 100% happy with my vides but i dont know what else to do! hopefully i can find something to improve it

Hey Bro.
I saw your other posts as well in the other forum and i understand your concerns.

The fact that you want to use mac as your primary workstation for editing and everything. "Just like me, i guess"

I Still have a PC lying around so i guess i can still survive editing on PC.

Why are still not happy with the quality man?If you have followed the tutorial well and do a bit more research, you will be loving it like me.
You were asking a few questions before and Brett B answered the well for you.

Research i have done has proved to me that you can never IVTC your footage with high accuracy on a mac compared to PC.-Prove me if i am wrong?

Even a swift stated that as i quoted him above.

I have already posted the method that is producing the best results above.

Its a bit of a learning curve but if you want qualty videos, go ahead and try it.

I am by no way affiliated to the person who did that tutorial but its awesome.Here is link again.
serato.com

Back to Mr Swift

Quote:
I've never done a ivtc tutorial so hopefully my comments didn't lead you to think I did. I've done lots of other tutorials though and continue to answer emails and private messages from people needing help with all of this stuff. Of course I don't know everything, anyone who tells you they do is full of shit. But, I think most people here respect what I have to say, and would tend to believe me when I state something as fact.

I guess I don't have any other comments here. If you have a specific question for me, just ask.

I did not claim you ever did IVTC tutorial before.
I even quoted you before declaring to mac users saying

"Update on Mac tutorials for IVTC fellas:

I've done a BUNCH of research on this and I've come to the conclusion that you can't IVTC music videos on the mac. Every single music video I've tested, all have broken cadence. There is no reason to believe that ANY video would have a single cadence that isn't broken.

I know a lot of people would rather just listen and avoid questions because no one here is a professional editing blockbuster movies.
A lot of guys here are average guys who hates anything complicated.

Please don't hate me for saying this unless you can prove me wrong.

The Final Cut Pro Session is NOT CORRECT because you did not analyse the DVD footage to find out if it is progressive, interlaced or if the footage has 2/3 or pulldown, then remove the duplicate frame to make your footage is progressive and remove any interlacing before editing begins.

I am not trying to diss A Swift for saying that because everyone contributed in the meeting and no one asked any questions.

Now that we know the tutorial is like 7/10 since we are gonna have major quality issues in the final mp4.Should the tutorial still remain in the Sticky?

Sticky material should be 100% correct.So if serato admins puts incorrect material on the sticky section in the forum, that makes me start to doubt a lot more regarding the software we all love."Serato and VSL"

If they do not understand so why put it in sticky section.

I have no problem with the other tutorials that i havent checked, verify and stick a stamp of approval.lol
Funkytownstopsix 4:22 PM - 23 April, 2010
Say Swift looking at Dj's Bretts method do you think this can be achieved with MAC software only? I know your pretty stout when it comes to Mac software but I guess I should say can it be done with free software? Last I know your busy but when is the next session..... Peace.
carter 4:42 PM - 23 April, 2010
1. FCP is Mac only. You're talking about scanning a vob file with Windows software. The whole point of this was to show Mac user methods to edit vob files with the least amount of degradation to the file. This is not an overall tutorial on how to prepare and edit files on a universal platform. I think you're going to be hard pressed to find 2 people that employ the same techniques to get their mp4 output.
2. When you extract a vob from a dvd using the source frame rate, you're going to end up with a file that's either 25 fps (Pal), or 29.97 (NTSC). The 25 fps framed material should only need to be deinterlaced and converted. With the 29.97 material it is much different. And as was mentioned in the IVTC thread, that even if it does have the pulldown added it can be shot with multiple cameras and the cadence can be different in different parts of the video. So by removing the 5th frame all the way through you might not actually be removing duplicates but actual frames. That's the issues with the IVTC method. It can work on 75% of videos and still have that 25% where it completely messes them up.
3. Quality is in the eye of the beer holder. All of my videos go through MPEG Stream clip and I preview, crop, and deinterlace before sending to batch. If I'm editing it goes out as a ProRes 422 .mov file. If it's going into my "originals" folder it goes out as a 640x360 h.264 mp4. I haven't noticed any kind of "major quality" issues with either one of these methods. To the contrary, both have worked extremely well. Even keeping the 29.97 frame rate on ripped vobs and an average key frame around every 25 or so frames I have not had any quality issues.
4. I understand you wanting the best quality and wanting to make sure that what Serato stickies is good information. Well, this is good information and whether or not you realize it, all this amounts to is a call out. You could have asked your question or posted your responses in a separate thread, but you didn't. You didn't make the distinction between full time Mac users and full time windows users because your methods obviously combine the two using software on both platforms. Well that's not the way it works. Some people have that at their disposal while others don't. I prefer to stay Windows free...even Parallels and Boot Camp free.
5. New info IS always good and it makes us reevaluate the way that we maintain our libraries and convert our videos, of course. It's just the Fox News style in which you delivered your message. As if he's created some great travesty by not including something you feel is very necessary. Again, different methods and different outcomes.

Not all of us want to go back through and reanalyse our vob collections. I have a ton of vobs and the last time I did them I swore not to redo them again simply because there's no real major improvement on the quality of the output by changing my methods. I'm not broadcasting in high def 720 or 1080 and the last time was just to convert everything over to 640x360 for widescreen. And as with mp3s, it really depends on the quality of the original file as well.
So while I say thanks for the links and the new information, I also say you should have started your own thread so that we can comment on your methods and your information instead of making this about how swift got it wrong.
Charlie Five 4:54 PM - 23 April, 2010
word
dj blackbelt 3:12 AM - 24 April, 2010
Quote:
1. FCP is Mac only. You're talking about scanning a vob file with Windows software. The whole point of this was to show Mac user methods to edit vob files with the least amount of degradation to the file. This is not an overall tutorial on how to prepare and edit files on a universal platform. I think you're going to be hard pressed to find 2 people that employ the same techniques to get their mp4 output.

I know that FCP is Mac only, and i fully understand the purpose of the tutorial
That is why i stated above that FCP or Vegas use must check out because the editing steps used in the tutorial kinda applies to Vegas users too.Which is just a simple 8bit edit.

Quote:

2. When you extract a vob from a dvd using the source frame rate, you're going to end up with a file that's either 25 fps (Pal), or 29.97 (NTSC). The 25 fps framed material should only need to be deinterlaced and converted. With the 29.97 material it is much different. And as was mentioned in the IVTC thread, that even if it does have the pulldown added it can be shot with multiple cameras and the cadence can be different in different parts of the video. So by removing the 5th frame all the way through you might not actually be removing duplicates but actual frames. That's the issues with the IVTC method. It can work on 75% of videos and still have that 25% where it completely messes them up.

Now we are in the same boat.
From my experience, removing the 5th frame works up to 99% on 29.97 PO material that i get.
Im still to find a video that got ruined by this method.

Send me a file to pm if you can prove that.

After comparing shitloads of batch methods where you ignore any Interlacing or Pulldown, with mp4s that i removed interlacing and the duplicate frame before encoding.The quality is just golden, u will love it.

That is why i am preaching about this method.lol

Whether you decide to stay windows free its up to you, but A Swift declared there is no way to IVTC on a Mac.

The fact that you choose to stay windows free is up to you and the fact that you do not want to redo your vob collection again.If you are happy with what you have fine.

I decide to put the new info i found here because this topic is in Sticky and i want Sticky topics to be 100% accurate.
I also quoted A Swift from other forums so i can see if he admits to making a mistake in the tutorial or he comes up with the answers that i am looking for.

As a matter of fact, i really want everyone to contribute the same way they did when the tutorial was in progress so we can all learn.

If A Swift has no answers and everyone else cant answer my questions, it proves the tutorial is not 100% correct.

i also believe the link i posted above about analysing files and doing IVTC to files that needs it is what we should all do before editing.
Whether you use windows or mac.

Fox News style whatever you are talking about, thats your problem.
Im only looking for answers like anyone else on this forum.
carter 9:41 AM - 24 April, 2010
I can give you a short list of vobs that I ran through MEGui if you'd like, but I'm not uploading any files. For now I'll go with just a few videos.
Kevin Rudolf feat Birdman - I Made It. There's no 5th frame to decimate and the cadence is off. So if there is no 5th frame to decimate, the only thing you're actually doing is deinterlacing.
Lady Gaga - Telephone. Same thing, there is no 5th frame to decimate, and the cadence on this one is really off. But I think it has more to do with the way that it's edited.
Some older ones from various sources....all 29.97...LL Cool J - I Shot Ya remix, Salt N Pepa - None of your Business.
These are just ones that I left in the vob folder from testing...BEP - I Gotta Feeling was in there too. Also 29.97...no duplicate. Might have something to do with them filming in HD instead of SD and being able to actually shoot at 29.97. Not sure about the older ones. So unless I'm missing something here, decimating the 5th frame is deleting a frame that's supposed to be there...which causes a stutter in the video file. And if you're not decimating the file with AvSynth, all you're doing to it is deinterlacing. Which if doing it through AvSynth is the way you choose to do it then that's your choice. But it doesn't mean it's the end all be all for preparing videos for edit. And the FCP tutorial is great for showing what to do with the files once they're in the program. You can really choose any method you want to get them there. I prefer using an mov and some guys I know demux and use the m2v files so there isn't any generational loss. But they make up for that on the render.
a-swift 11:05 PM - 26 April, 2010
Quote:

These tutorials were meant to be HELPFUL, as a free service to help out other users who are struggling with how to get started video editing. They are in no way supposed to be an authoritative source for how to do anything perfect or even anything close to that.

You guys that are going through the tutorials frame by frame, looking to see where I made a mistake or mis-spoke about something are taking these way too serious.

If you really want to know how to do something perfect, I'll be glad to show you. I'll draw up a consulting contract and I'll spend as much time teaching you as you have money.

It's internet jackasses like these who pick apart a free and helpful tutorial, that makes me just not want to bother spending my time helping people at all.

Quote:

From my experience, removing the 5th frame works up to 99% on 29.97 PO material that i get.
Im still to find a video that got ruined by this method.

It's not correct, period. No further need to discuss if removing the 5th frame is a correct ivtc.

Quote:

Whether you decide to stay windows free its up to you, but A Swift declared there is no way to IVTC on a Mac.

I never said that, please don't put words in my mouth. I said, that I haven't found a reverse telecine method that can consistently handle broken cadence found in music video VOB files. I have plenty of tools that can do ivtc on mac and they all work beautifully if the cadence is not broken.

Quote:

I decide to put the new info i found here because this topic is in Sticky and i want Sticky topics to be 100% accurate.
I also quoted A Swift from other forums so i can see if he admits to making a mistake in the tutorial or he comes up with the answers that i am looking for.

Admits to a mistake? What are you talking about? These are free tutorials, meant to help people get started with video editing. There is a shit ton of topics I don't discuss in the tutorials like colorspace, gamma, frame rates, codecs, and all kinds of other stuff.

Frankly, I'm amazed that you have this much time on your hands going through the forums and trying to find where I've ever made a mistake or missed a point. Obviously, you take these free tutorials way too serious.

Quote:

If A Swift has no answers and everyone else cant answer my questions, it proves the tutorial is not 100% correct.

Dude, I still don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with all of these "A-Swift is wrong, admit it!!!!" topics, but here's what I recommend you do:

Make your own tutorials, don't watch mine, don't critque mine and unless you have something constructive to add to this thread, take it somewhere else

When I started editing videos, I spent way too much time learning stuff by trial and error and there wasn't any good info on where to get started here on this site, so I made some tutorials and now you're spending all this time picking them apart?

You need to get over it.

--Swifty.
dvdjcrush 12:16 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:

Dude, I still don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with all of these "A-Swift is wrong, admit it!!!!" topics, but here's what I recommend you do:

Make your own tutorials, don't watch mine, don't critque mine and unless you have something constructive to add to this thread, take it somewhere else

--Swifty.

+10,000
carter 2:40 AM - 27 April, 2010
This internet jackass has nothing but respect for what you did on these tutorials. Still learning FCP and Motion and these helped out a lot. The quote you linked on mine was meant for blackbelt and not you.
a-swift 2:46 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
This internet jackass has nothing but respect for what you did on these tutorials. Still learning FCP and Motion and these helped out a lot. The quote you linked on mine was meant for blackbelt and not you.

His comments were intermixed in your thread. I wasn't directing any ire your way. You're not the one digging up old posts trying to find somewhere that I gave bad advice or something,
Funkytownstopsix 2:50 AM - 27 April, 2010
all i gota say is that it took you long enough..... damn
dvdjcrush 2:57 AM - 27 April, 2010
Can't we all just get along? You Haven't MADE IT till YOU'RE HATED!!! Do your thing Swift!!! If some people had a third of the talent from your little finger they would STFU!!! This is not directed at anyone in particular but if my post bugs you, well if the shoe fits...
Culprit 6:12 AM - 27 April, 2010
I wish we could have a mod just come in and clean up the crap black belt posted :(
dj blackbelt 7:22 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Can't we all just get along? You Haven't MADE IT till YOU'RE HATED!!! Do your thing Swift!!! If some people had a third of the talent from your little finger they would STFU!!! This is not directed at anyone in particular but if my post bugs you, well if the shoe fits...

+1

At the end of the day, i have learnt a lot from all you guys.Peace.
dj blackbelt 7:26 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
I wish we could have a mod just come in and clean up the crap black belt posted :(

i'm not sure what part you call "crap" because if you have time to double check what i was taliking about you sure will learn a lot too.
dj blackbelt 7:34 AM - 27 April, 2010
To swifty, thanks for the response even though you sounded a little bit grumpy.lol

don't hate me for asking questions man, i'm sure gonna be asking you more questions in the future regarding other topics if you dont mind.

I thought you said you don't mind questions? anyways dont worry about it.
I definitely do nat have any more time to spend inhere.

Peace.
dvdjcrush 8:26 AM - 27 April, 2010
dj blackbelt research is key no need to to blast someones mistakes. If any... You will gain lotz of knowledge from here weather from someone giving help and reserching and maybe finding something misquoted or whatnot. Just gotta be careful how you phrase things. If you feel the need that you find a fault PM that person. Some people here defend others in a ruthless way at times. Just FYI i don't believe you meant any harm. However A-Swift is an associate of mine and man if you only knew this mans schedule alone. The raw courage for this man and his knoledge on Video is simply amaizing for real. The fact that he is even willing to share the 1% that he knows is a gift to everyone here that has been less fortunate and advance our art of video artist.

Sorry for rambling on. dj blackbelt in no way is this anything negative towards you as you said lessons learned. Let's move forward...
DJ-Phat-AL 9:50 AM - 27 April, 2010
BTW... A-Swift doesn't get paid for him spreading his knowledge around....

so you really can't complain at something that is free in the first place.

A-Swift is the MAN!!!

... and I know we gotta plan our B-Day bash soon... been busy with stuff.. tell you later about it.
dj blackbelt 11:36 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
dj blackbelt research is key no need to to blast someones mistakes. If any... You will gain lotz of knowledge from here weather from someone giving help and reserching and maybe finding something misquoted or whatnot. Just gotta be careful how you phrase things. If you feel the need that you find a fault PM that person. Some people here defend others in a ruthless way at times. Just FYI i don't believe you meant any harm. However A-Swift is an associate of mine and man if you only knew this mans schedule alone. The raw courage for this man and his knoledge on Video is simply amaizing for real. The fact that he is even willing to share the 1% that he knows is a gift to everyone here that has been less fortunate and advance our art of video artist.

Sorry for rambling on. dj blackbelt in no way is this anything negative towards you as you said lessons learned. Let's move forward...

+1

def didnt mean to cause any harm.
Still i advice everyone to keep on researching.

I will say this again maybe for the 5th time, big up a Swift for the tut.
a-swift 10:31 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:

don't hate me for asking questions man, i'm sure gonna be asking you more questions in the future regarding other topics if you dont mind.

I take questions ALL DAY long. My cellphone number and email are posted right on the front page of my damn website. Trust me, people use them. I get random calls on my cell phone from people I've never met. I get random emails from people I've never met. I have 4 pages of PMs on this forum alone.

So yeah man, if you got a question,... shoot: aaron.newsome@anewsome.com

There is my email address.
Culprit 12:48 AM - 28 April, 2010
dont forget to pay the invoice in 30 days ;)
mizu 2:10 PM - 12 May, 2010
just want to chime in and say i appreciate everything you do!
a-swift 2:49 PM - 12 May, 2010
Quote:

thanks man.
Tumi 6:39 PM - 13 May, 2010
Quote:

dear mama lol ;-)

swift, when is your next tutorial? this stuff is good man!
MSF 7:56 PM - 18 May, 2010
Swifts tutorials got me going in the right direction.. For that, I am grateful.
I would not be able to mess with FCP without Swifts tutorials.
Free Man 7:28 PM - 3 June, 2010
subscribe
nik39 10:35 PM - 25 August, 2010
First of all... Thanks for the very helpful tutorials a-swift! Really good job. It is easy to follow you words, you are doing a great job!

I have one question about the use of "reconnect media" from FCP: Is there a similar functionality for Sony Vegas?
D-Twizzle 4:33 PM - 26 August, 2010
click the project media tab, right click the video and choose replace.
nik39 6:28 PM - 26 August, 2010
Gotcha, thanks D-Twizzle :)
djaction 4:43 AM - 30 August, 2010
a-swift you are the f'ing man!
a-swift 5:46 PM - 18 December, 2010
an update guys. the Motion tutorial has been redone. not remade, the content is the same, the edit was just fixed because a few things bugged me. link is still the same.

Watchwww.vimeo.com
djchrischip 9:09 AM - 22 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I already made this tutorial, if you're using a pre-unibody macbook pro. Made that one like 8 months ago!

www.vjaswift.com

I am going to be attempting to do this with my 08 pre unibody by installing a 500 gb WD 7200rpm drive (i currently have a 160 gb 7200 rpm drive)

I have no electronics background and am petrified tht I am going to screw something up...

Also I am going to need to purchase a copy of Leopard 10.5.8 bc tht is wat i have on it now

I am currently happily running Serato 1.9.2 and VSL 1.1.... everytime I use the video plug in I was having issues with USB dropouts when I coonect to a secondary display 4 some reason... but tht is unrelated

I really hope I can put everything together right and not screw this up lol
Dj Nyce 8:46 PM - 22 January, 2011
changing a hard drive is as easy as changing your clothes.

also you don't have to purchase 10.5.8. Install what you have and use the updates to update to 10.5.8.
djchrischip 9:38 AM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:
changing a hard drive is as easy as changing your clothes.

also you don't have to purchase 10.5.8. Install what you have and use the updates to update to 10.5.8.

@nyce I never got a Mac Operating System Disk... here in lies my problem, once i boot up the new hd I will get the blue screen of death bc its a blank drive with no Operating system
Dj Nyce 2:21 PM - 23 January, 2011
lol. then yes do you do need an install disk.
djchrischip 5:15 PM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:
lol. then yes do you do need an install disk.

hahah k no doubt.. its so funny my lap top has NEVER been on the internet except to DL serato n VSL
dj-jv 9:44 PM - 24 January, 2011
thank you, swifts for you tutorials...very nice!
djchrischip 10:23 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
thank you, swifts for you tutorials...very nice!

+1
FunkyRob 4:18 AM - 31 January, 2011
I'm a bit lost following the part on the fit to fill section of the FCP sessions video.

He ran into some kind of trouble and then fixed it.

I'm just not getting it.
FunkyRob 9:00 AM - 6 February, 2011
OK, so I figured out how fit to fill works.

But.... My video becomes badly interlaced once it renders. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
Dj Nyce 1:59 PM - 7 February, 2011
Quote:

But.... My video becomes badly interlaced once it renders. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

what type of file are you importing into FCP? Is that file interlaced? What are your sequence settings? What are your compressor settings?
DJMark 10:43 AM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:

Assuming that you're editing non-interlaced video, make sure in "sequence settings" you have the "field dominance" set to "none".
Dj K.Smith 4:56 PM - 18 April, 2011
Ok I remuxed my 1sy video today and it worked... BUT, the original song is longer than the video clip... How do I trim that extra off?

Also, I have an audio file that's longer than the original audio from the vob and they don't seem to sync correctly... Im using the quicktime pro method so any help is appreciated...
FunkyRob 6:34 PM - 19 April, 2011
^^ remuxing won't work in this case. You're going to have to "edit" the video.

We're talking cutting and pasting other parts of the video over the extra audio to fill in those areas with video so you don't have a black screen.
Dj K.Smith 6:48 PM - 19 April, 2011
Quote:
^^ remuxing won't work in this case. You're going to have to "edit" the video.

We're talking cutting and pasting other parts of the video over the extra audio to fill in those areas with video so you don't have a black screen.

In that case I need a vacation to learn how to do that stuff then... But in terms of swapping audio I'm glad I revisited this thread because that QT7 method is super straight forward...
DJBIGWIZ 7:41 PM - 19 April, 2011
what happened to A-Swift? Haven't seen him here in a while.
DJ DisGrace 7:41 PM - 19 April, 2011
Quote:
Ok I remuxed my 1sy video today and it worked... BUT, the original song is longer than the video clip... How do I trim that extra off?

Also, I have an audio file that's longer than the original audio from the vob and they don't seem to sync correctly... Im using the quicktime pro method so any help is appreciated...

U can always edit the audio to make it fit the length of the video file. Just drag both video and replacement audio into an editor. Line them up. Export as an .mp4 but audio only. Remux with the original video file.
Culprit 7:42 PM - 19 April, 2011
Quote:

yah he been mia for a minute..
Dj K.Smith 8:03 PM - 19 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

yah he been mia for a minute..

Actually when I was doing this on SUnday he answered my texts and gave me some extra advice... I need more time to practice but I know I feel much better with the edits that are same length audio fixes than video edits... I stretch my time thin as is already... LOL
Dj K.Smith 8:05 PM - 19 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

U can always edit the audio to make it fit the length of the video file. Just drag both video and replacement audio into an editor. Line them up. Export as an .mp4 but audio only. Remux with the original video file.

The example DisGrace is Natalie Cole's "This Will Be"... I found the vob and it had crappy audio. I have a 320 version of the song but it's like 16 seconds off and doesn't sync correctly. I know there is a way to fix this so if you or anybody feels like walking a rookie through, please let me know... Facetime on iphone, ustream chat or stickam, LOL....
DJ DisGrace 8:38 PM - 19 April, 2011
which editor do u have?

Often the music video and album version have slightly different tempos, so u need to stretch the audio to fit the video, and fade it out early to make it match the video
Dj K.Smith 8:40 PM - 19 April, 2011
Quicktime Pro 7
Dj K.Smith 8:41 PM - 19 April, 2011
I also have Final Cut Express HD
DJ DisGrace 8:29 PM - 21 April, 2011
K.Smith, did u ever get time to figure that out?

I was thinking about making a Vegas/QTPro remuxing tutorial....
Dj K.Smith 10:08 PM - 21 April, 2011
Dis, I did it in QT7 because it was just an audio swap and the tracks lined up perfectly. As far as editing and all that, I'll leave that to the big boys...
DJDeathtouch 3:20 AM - 19 July, 2011
So Im on mpeg stream clip, A Swift said to change settings to pro res file but I dont see that option?? what should i use?
DJDeathtouch 3:25 AM - 19 July, 2011
I use the apple fcp uncompressed 8 bit and it file turned into a huge file .mov 22 ghz
djpuma_gemini 2:31 PM - 19 July, 2011
you only have pro res as an option if you have final cut pro installed on your machine.
Free Man 4:09 PM - 19 July, 2011
Quote:
you only have pro res as an option if you have final cut pro installed on your machine.

on that note... I was Dj'n a wedding on saturday. The videographer was using a Canon D60 and told me that if he uses a video camera that it doesnt have a very good look, and looks more like a home movie. but the D60 looks "professional"

That sounded odd to me... any imput?
DJDeathtouch 5:53 PM - 19 July, 2011
I have final cut Express HD wats the difference?
Dj Nyce 6:05 PM - 19 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

on that note... I was Dj'n a wedding on saturday. The videographer was using a Canon D60 and told me that if he uses a video camera that it doesnt have a very good look, and looks more like a home movie. but the D60 looks "professional"

dslr's have a more shallow depth of field, a larger image sensor, and interchangeable lenses. all of these features allow dslr to look better than any prosumer hd camcorder. the only camcorders that look better than dslr's are the pro camcorders (the ones you can't get at best buy) and the uber pro (i.e red's or p2 varicam).
DJDeathtouch 6:40 PM - 19 July, 2011
my bad I meant to say when u convert in the (mpeg stream clip) I dont see the (pro res) option by default it says (apple motion jpeg A)
Free Man 7:50 PM - 19 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

dslr's have a more shallow depth of field, a larger image sensor, and interchangeable lenses. all of these features allow dslr to look better than any prosumer hd camcorder. the only camcorders that look better than dslr's are the pro camcorders (the ones you can't get at best buy) and the uber pro (i.e red's or p2 varicam).

what about the more pro models that are used by videographers. can't think of any models right now...
djpuma_gemini 9:40 PM - 19 July, 2011
Quote:
my bad I meant to say when u convert in the (mpeg stream clip) I dont see the (pro res) option by default it says (apple motion jpeg A)

yes as stated above pro res comes with final cut pro, if you don't have it installed you can't see/use it.
DJDeathtouch 10:50 PM - 19 July, 2011
so if u install I will have that option in mpeg stream clip? how do u install it? and I have fcE hd
djpuma_gemini 1:57 PM - 20 July, 2011
you have to purchase final cut pro (not pro x) or if they have a trial, you could probably just get the trial to install for the pro res codec.
DJDeathtouch 4:43 PM - 20 July, 2011
ah man ok lemme try..
chaka 2:14 AM - 1 April, 2012
Quote:
He did a recap somewhere but I just put these links all together. Thanks for him again for helping us all out. I am hoping someone can sticky this post. If there are any new ones, hopefully we'll be able to add to it.

List of Tutorials:

www.vjaswift.com

Tutorial #2 (A very quick time-remapping tutorial)
www.vjaswift.com

Making A Dj Logo in Motion:

www.scratchlive.net
vjaswift.com

All About Remuxing
www.scratchlive.net
Flash: www.vjaswift.com
QT: www.vjaswift.com

Is there a DL link for that German dude's custom app in Tutorial #1? I didn't even get the name of it
djpuma_gemini 3:39 PM - 11 June, 2012
Does anyone have swifts tutorial on fit to fill.
I remember watching along during the live stream, but can't remember how he did it.
Code:E 10:43 PM - 15 March, 2013