DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Hum Problem last night... Any Ideas ?

Bigga Bounce Ent 3:26 PM - 1 October, 2009
Ok I have a DJM-500. Had it for years with no issues whatsoever. I have 3 other weekly gigs and have never heard this hum before.

But last night I took the RCA output of my 500 and put it in to an Allen and Heath mixer (Belonging to the Resident DJ, I was A guest), leaving me with a pretty loud hum. then I took the XLR output and put plugged it into his RCA resulting in the same problem.... So I then took my power bar and moved it into the same receptacle to see if it was a grounding issue... but the hum still remained.

Im Stumped !! Any one got any suggestions on how to lose the hum ? I'm returning to this club in 2 weeks...
Socross 3:42 PM - 1 October, 2009
Whenever you get a hum, the first thing you should try is unplugging your laptop. I've found that most grounding issues start there.

Buy a 3-to-2 prong adapter, it elminates the ground post and will kill the hum if it's coming from your laptop.
Bigga Bounce Ent 3:47 PM - 1 October, 2009
^^^ I never thought of that

Actually i think its the mixer :(

I just plugged it in to my monitors at home and I'm getting the same buzz with nothing plugged into it.

anyone know if this is cheap to fix or should I consider looking for a new mixer ??
latindj 4:07 PM - 1 October, 2009
^pull the chord out first and try it, could be your laptop power supply going bad. also try pulling the battery out. eliminate the lappy before you chuck the mixer...
Bigga Bounce Ent 5:55 PM - 1 October, 2009
I didn't have my lappy plugged in. just the mixer going to the monitor....
latindj 6:17 PM - 1 October, 2009
ah, gotcha.....
Bigga Bounce Ent 7:37 PM - 1 October, 2009
Yup.... So the question remains, is this a cheap fix??
Certified Quality Entertainment 7:44 PM - 1 October, 2009
A lot of hum issues I've had have been with too much gear plugged into one outlet. Sometimes you don't have a choice since there is only 1 or 2 outlets available. But try spreading out your gear, that might help. It has always helped me out in the past.
Bigga Bounce Ent 8:32 PM - 1 October, 2009
its just the mixer and the monitor at this point.
Socross 8:36 PM - 1 October, 2009
you might also try different cables to elminate them as suspects.

If it is the mixer, you should look on pioneer's website, they have a list of authorized repair shops (hopefully one will be in your area) - with any luck, they will just need to replace the outputs on the back.
ZESH! 9:04 PM - 1 October, 2009
So the mixer is mobile?
Do you unplug your mixer FROM the mixer?

wiggle that plug around (at the mixer)
If not, try the wire at the socket.
the hum you hear is most likely a short (probably not grounding properly anymore)

If you hear a difference, and it's at the mixer, you might have to get it serviced.

If you're capable, open it, you might find where the wire or soder at the board needs to be repaired.

Also try your other cables...like the main one to your amps
DJ Super Mario 9:58 PM - 1 October, 2009
Use this... It's a god send anytime you have to go RCA out... Works like a charm and almost guarantee will fix your ground loop issue...

www.radioshack.com
Bigga Bounce Ent 12:06 AM - 2 October, 2009
Ok Ill give these suggestions a try thanks guys :)

Im gonna try the cable swap idea first,

ZESH if its not grounding properly is it prolly something i can put a solder iron to ?? and would i see it visually ?
ZESH! 1:02 AM - 2 October, 2009
You should be able to see it when you crack the mixer open. Bfore you do, check and see if the female end is loose (pause)...heheheh

It might be the power wire itself. Can you get another from somewhere and test it? (don't plug any wire into just because it fits). Or have the power cable itself tested

Anyway, the answer is yes, as long as you're confident enough to try.
Bigga Bounce Ent 1:32 AM - 2 October, 2009
im goin in !! haven't been with a loose Female in a minute !!! forgot what it feels like HMM
latindj 2:36 AM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
im goin in !! haven't been with a loose Female in a minute !!! forgot what it feels like HMM

you really can't feel much....

:(
Bigga Bounce Ent 3:06 PM - 2 October, 2009
LMAO !!

Man this thread went downhill FAST !
-xx- 5:41 AM - 3 March, 2015
Soooo, any updates?? There are SO many threads regarding ground looping hum problems, but none about this issue. I also have a DJM-500 that is suddenly buzzing through the XLR outs. And only the XLRs. The RCA and 1/4" lines sound fine, but when a monitor (SRM-450) is plugged in via direct XLR, both L and R XLR outputs on the SRM-450 are buzzing. It does sound around a 60hz AC buzz, but louder than what s coming from the SRM-450 itself, with nothing else connected to mixer. Is this a transformer making noise, a bad XLR bus/pair of ports? Something else not grounded? Everything looks very clean and well connected inside. All POT nuts and other hardware well screwed down. WHERE is the buzz coming from??
DJMark 8:59 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
I also have a DJM-500 that is suddenly buzzing through the XLR outs.

I'd suspect the power supply electrolytic capacitors, given that the unit must be at least 10-15 years old.
Bigga Bounce Ent 10:53 PM - 5 March, 2015
Man so long ago I totally forget, I ended up taking it in for service. Can't recall how much they charged me or what the problem actually was. But I do remember them saying something about the caps pooching out.