DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJing at a school (teen) party

Peecis 1:26 PM - 1 August, 2006
I am a mobile DJ targeting mostly school parties for teens. The biggest challange when throwing a party at a school is to make everyone happy. Because there are so many different musical tastes. One likes rap and hip-hop, one likes metal and nu-metal, some like the good ol` 70s-80s, some want something alternative and some want me to play local (latvian) music. I get really conufused. Thanx to SSL's superb search system I can easly find the desired song. But anyway, it is very hard to work if there is always somebody yelling at you: "Hey, DJ! Put this on!"... After 3mins: "Don't listen to him! He's the only one enjoying that. Put this on!" And it is like that most of the time. Can someone give a tip how to handle this situation?
Peecis 1:40 PM - 1 August, 2006
What makes it even more difficult: there is NO majority! The whole crowd of teens is divided into +/- equal groups. And each group has something particular what they want. Should I listen to everyone and simply put their desired song in the "prepare" window and play it later?
JayB1200 1:40 PM - 1 August, 2006
i djed a party once for a kids peace group and the age range was from 6-50, i had all kind of request and the kids were runin up like every 5 minutes requesting songs,it was really annoying, especially when they were requesting a song that was curently playing. Just play what they ask for and keep them happy, be careful not to play to much "hard" hip-hop that they request keep it in the top 40 and you'll be cool. a funny thing that happened i turned on a strobe light and this ohter light and one of the teachers ran up to me telling me to turn it off cause it can trigger seizures with some of the kids, i felt kinda bad but it was kinda funny.
double B 2:00 PM - 1 August, 2006
If you are talking about house parties I don't have any occurences like that. When was that last time a bunch of "gangsters" invited a bunch of rockers to a party? So usually just play some hyphy music and I'm good. :) I try to stay away from top40 usually
Peecis 2:07 PM - 1 August, 2006
So, there is no magic move. I simply have to follow orders. Hmmm... Well, that's life! My dream is to encourage the teens listen to something alternative, you know, off-the-charts music. Should I give it a try or is it worthless?
Peecis 2:15 PM - 1 August, 2006
Quote:
If you are talking about house parties I don't have any occurences like that. When was that last time a bunch of "gangsters" invited a bunch of rockers to a party?

Not house parties. School parties. It's when the high-school students graduate, the school itself has a birthday or it's when a Valentine's day comes, or X-Mas, you name it. In Latvia, it is still a common thing to hold events at school. Besides teens under 18 are not allowed (sometimes even under 21) to go to clubs. So what would they do? Go home, OR attend a school party with all the lights, loud PA and so on? School party I guess. So this is how "gangstas" and rockers get together. And I am surprised: there have been NO fights between the opposing sides.
tig ol' bitties 2:16 PM - 1 August, 2006
follow orders? fuck that.
your the DJ, your in charge. Jus mix it up. Read the little fuckers. Its difficult cuz its not really a "themed" night so your having to approach it at all angles.
See what they are wearing is my suggestion.
If they are all long haired grungy kids then obv play more rock stuff. if they sag there pants below their asses and are rocking blow outs, lean towards playing more hip hop or whatever.
No matter what you play your gonna have people coming up to you. Just play a mix of shit at the beginning and see what seems to be working best and stick wit it until it starts losing steam then switch it up.

as for your question. it all depends i guess. if they seem to be feelign the top 40 crap then that might not work, but if you throwing in shit no ones ever heard of and they seem to dig it more power to you.

good luck bro, and yo since the girls are under 18 dont even take requests not like its gonna benefit you. hahahaha
AMF 2:54 PM - 1 August, 2006
Quote:
So, there is no magic move. I simply have to follow orders. Hmmm... Well, that's life! My dream is to encourage the teens listen to something alternative, you know, off-the-charts music. Should I give it a try or is it worthless?

Worthless.
DJ 3pm 3:57 PM - 1 August, 2006
i just did a teen party last week. hardest thing was organizing and finding all my radio edits. even some of the 'funkymix' type stuff that i had was dirty (i swear that junk was all clean, oops). also note that 'radio' and 'clean' versions of songs are different, find out if you need any special accomodations needed and be able to explain to a chaperone (sp?) that you can say 'ass' on the radio; get over it.

musical tastes do vary so much in that sort of group; much different from just playing out a club or something. i found the songs that worked best for me were mash-ups, you can please two music different music lovers at the same time. what worked well for me:

[attention forum police: i know the legality of these songs is borderline, but damn they sound good]

50 cent- in da club vs. bee gees- stayin alive
dr. dre vs. grease (dj dysfunctional)
green day- american idiot vs. bodyrockers- the way you move
doors- riders on the storm vs. blondie- rapture (go home productions)
double B 5:09 PM - 1 August, 2006
Oh I thought you were talking about teen house parties! Then yeah school events are way different
dj scotty d 3:52 PM - 4 August, 2006
if you want to find clean versions use yoor comment box and type in rated r or dirty dont type nothing for clean or visa versa then type in your search box clean or dirty and they will appear
JayDJ130 4:14 PM - 4 August, 2006
I've DJ'd tons of school dances and the one thing you have to remember is that you are in charge of the music. Tell people to write requests down, put a pen and paper down for them. This will take the focus off of you so you can do your thing. I usually have someone with me so they can talk to the kids. Just tell them you'll see if you have the song. Tell them you don't have it even if you do, they won't know. If people are dancing, you're doing a good job. Definitely mix it up, but for that age you should keep it pretty mainstream. They don't want to hear some obscure song they've never heard. They'll stop dead in their tracks and just stare at you. lol. They wanna hear what's on the radio and on TV with a few classics thrown in. That's been my experience at least. And remember, there's always gonna be that one kid who's gonna bug the hell outta you no matter what, even when you play their song. So hold your ground and rock the party!!
andrew b 9:00 PM - 4 August, 2006
just bring someone who can be the "request taker" and make sure he is in tune with what to play and not to play so he can say yes or no to the kids.
decaman 12:06 AM - 5 August, 2006
Quote:
a funny thing that happened i turned on a strobe light and this ohter light and one of the teachers ran up to me telling me to turn it off cause it can trigger seizures with some of the kids, i felt kinda bad but it was kinda funny.

lol
djskeetz 5:13 AM - 5 August, 2006
little school girls, yummy.
DJMark 5:38 AM - 5 August, 2006
Lorrence, oops I mean djkeetz, this is another one of those times.
djskeetz 5:50 AM - 5 August, 2006
Quote:
little school girls, yummy.
djskeetz 5:51 AM - 5 August, 2006
yay Mark!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:37 AM - 6 August, 2006
Quote:
I've DJ'd tons of school dances and the one thing you have to remember is that you are in charge of the music. Tell people to write requests down, put a pen and paper down for them. This will take the focus off of you so you can do your thing. I usually have someone with me so they can talk to the kids. Just tell them you'll see if you have the song. Tell them you don't have it even if you do, they won't know. If people are dancing, you're doing a good job. Definitely mix it up, but for that age you should keep it pretty mainstream. They don't want to hear some obscure song they've never heard. They'll stop dead in their tracks and just stare at you. lol. They wanna hear what's on the radio and on TV with a few classics thrown in. That's been my experience at least. And remember, there's always gonna be that one kid who's gonna bug the hell outta you no matter what, even when you play their song. So hold your ground and rock the party!!

listen to JayDJ130 folks... ^^ does tha trick.

speaking of 'that one kid', i did this one teenie b-day where this one cat rolled up all confident and serious and stood behind my ttables and grabbed/cue the wax and asked if 'i was tired, and that he can help and take over'

now that i think about it, i shoulda took down his contact info... with that kinda attitude, i'd mos def consider tha kat to extend my business (to mentor and train)
DJC 3:01 PM - 6 August, 2006
Get A Clip Board, Pen And Paper a good amount of Paper Tie the pen to the clip board so they cant take it. Have them Write down the song . works like a charm for me.
JayDJ130 3:34 PM - 6 August, 2006
thanks mike
Sal_Flip 4:03 PM - 6 August, 2006
Pen and Paper always does the trick. I do alot of school dances and it is much easier when you dont have to listen to 500 kids all request the booty call or candy shop.