Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

VCI 300 vs VCI 100 (opinions please)

Crox 8:21 AM - 30 June, 2009
Ok , so I cant seem to decide between these 2 controllers. Price is not an issue here, the real main factor is reliability. Im planning on using it live in a club. Have/do any of you guys owned both controllers and could please do a fair comparison?
I dont care about fx and how many virtual decks the software allows you to spin on, I just want a solid controller that wont let me down. Not trolling or anything here just a bit lost :((
thanx guys
casket hands 10:50 AM - 30 June, 2009
not even close as far as I'm concerned. VCI-300 hands down. if you are deciding between using traktor or itch though, be aware that itch does not have FX at this point. We dont need anymore "I bought the VCI-300 then returned it because it didnt have FX" threads.
I far prefer itch to traktor.
kraal 2:54 PM - 30 June, 2009
Crox from your post and concerns if they are your true feeling then you will want the vci-300.
the only reason I would tell anyone at this point to choose the vci-100 over the 300 is if they are looking for effects or using software instead of itch
seratosnatch 2:58 PM - 30 June, 2009
They are different beasts for different needs. I have both and use one for Itch the other for Traktor..I love Itch and the 300 and like Traktor or 100 for different moods.
Itch is a bit easier to setup in a club as it is all ready to rock. The VCI-100 needs an additional sound card and TSI to run well with Traktor. I do not like the VCI-300 and Traktor.
seratosnatch 3:00 PM - 30 June, 2009
VCI-300 is also 14 bit resolution on pitch and jogs and feels pretty darn close to the wax, where as on the 100, the jogs are a bit toyish and small and feels a bit weird.
300 for me is sweet with Itch and Itch's future looks bright and tight.
Crox 7:53 PM - 30 June, 2009
Hey guys! thanx for all your responses, I appreciate it. As I said, I dont mind the iTch not having any fx etc, the only concern of mine is the VCI300's reliability. I thought maybe since the vci100 model has been in production for quite a while then many of its bugs and issues have been resolved by now. I dont mind the thing freezing up on me once in a while when Im just playing around with it at home but I sure as hell wanna try to avoid the embarrassment when Im out spinning in front of large crowds.
Just got my MacbookPro, ordering my VCI-300 next week :)
thanks again for your input.
J-Reign 9:17 PM - 30 June, 2009
Yeah, I have both too. I feel the 300 is more a professional piece as to the 100 which is a project piece imo. The 300 and Itch are more polished and ready out of the box. With the 100 and Traktor, You gotta tweak it to your liking, which I enjoy and you can freak the hell out of your mix, minus the 14-bit midi. Sync is your best friend with the 100 and Traktor Pro. I mainly use the VCI-300 and use the VCI-100 as a back-up. No probs for me. Coming from a vinyl/turntable background, VCI-300 hands down.
djcerla 9:32 PM - 30 June, 2009
I have both... while the 300 (+ITCH) is a "battle weapon", I never managed to trust and "feel" the 100 (+Traktor) enough to actually use it live.

It's taking dust now.
dr pokoly 10:18 PM - 30 June, 2009
quick reply from my side. due to some various reason, i had to give up my vci 300 for a few weeks and i borrow the vci 100 from a friend, used it for two gigs....and man o man....i vowed never to use it again. im more of a purist dj and prefer beat matching myself...and with the vci 100 / traktor it just wasnt possible to use the jog wheels to manually beat match.

another side bonus is the built in sound card compared to the vci-100.

the vci-100 feels like a toy compared the the vci 300.
seratosnatch 6:41 AM - 1 July, 2009
I have tried Traktor dj'ing with my VCI-100, the 4 deck thing with sync and loops and fx..it is fun, but slightly feels fake and not like I am dj'ing, but more like a live show.
I never looked as much at the crowd but at the controller and the screen. I could feel the crowd did not look as impressed as my vinyl day sets. I recently did another gig on Itch and another on SSL, and the energy came back. I had to work, think and got my oxygen flowing..the crowd could feel it and makes a difference. Itch has never had any stability problems so far in any clubs (knock on wood)..I like it because I can reply on it, the sound is awesome and I do not have to think about the setup in a club prior to my set. It is always the same and no need to think about what gear they have in the booth.

Itch & 300 for me is near perfect for my needs just needs fx and it be a solid 10!.
FutureMedia 9:32 PM - 18 August, 2009
I bought the VCI-300 Itch pak but wonder if I should have bought the VCI-100 Tracktor pak instead. Seems like Traktor Pro is a better software solution than Itch but perhaps Itch 2.0 will be a Traktor killer - I hope.
FutureMedia 9:46 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
I bought the VCI-300 Itch pak but wonder if I should have bought the VCI-100 Tracktor pak instead. Seems like Traktor Pro is a better software solution than Itch but perhaps Itch 2.0 will be a Traktor killer - I hope.
I apologize for my stupid post I made before reading all these posts. Obviously I made the right choice. Just too ignorant to know. So why is DJ TechTools so slow in delivering a MIDI Map for Traktor Pro on the VCI-300? Is Traktor Pro overrated? I guess-hope the missing effects in Itch issue will be over by October or November.
kraal 12:08 AM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
So why is DJ TechTools so slow in delivering a MIDI Map for Traktor Pro on the VCI-300?

cause ean golden and boys are more about modding the vci-100 than anything else.... i mean the even sell thier modded versions of the vci-100
Zong 5:38 PM - 29 June, 2010
A solid 300 MIDI map for Traktor Pro would be awesome. Anybody got one?

Also, I got my 300 SORTA working with Traktor Pro last night thru my computer's internal audio card. I have no idea how to isolate a headphone mix though! does anyone have a solution?
kraal 5:40 PM - 29 June, 2010
Quote:
A solid 300 MIDI map for Traktor Pro would be awesome. Anybody got one?

Also, I got my 300 SORTA working with Traktor Pro last night thru my computer's internal audio card. I have no idea how to isolate a headphone mix though! does anyone have a solution?

got to NI forums i am sure they can help you there... and also djtechtools forum has info on this
Zong 5:41 PM - 29 June, 2010
I'll check it out, thanks!
haze324 6:42 PM - 29 June, 2010
i just posted on on the DJTT mapping section. It's not as sexy as the 100's mapping, but it works very close to the native buttons on the 300 for Itch and the Jogs work great. Its still a work in progress....so feel free to leave me some tips.
Zong 6:49 PM - 29 June, 2010
I will try this tonight, thanks for sharing your work!

p.s. I've participated on a number of forums, from automotive to electronic music to paintball to computers etc. etc. etc. The helpfulness of this community absolutely blows me away thus far.
kraal 7:00 PM - 29 June, 2010
Quote:
I will try this tonight, thanks for sharing your work!

p.s. I've participated on a number of forums, from automotive to electronic music to paintball to computers etc. etc. etc. The helpfulness of this community absolutely blows me away thus far.

i agree
haze324 7:05 PM - 29 June, 2010
no sweat man. enjoy....I think for the 300 to work well with Traktor you need an extra controller like an X1 to really get the most out of the application. But for two decks, some simple effects use, great jogs, and the keyboard mapped to drop samples from decks C and D, this mapping does a pretty good job.

enough guys have helped me out too!
JonnyLove 7:29 PM - 29 June, 2010
used both and the vci is a far far superior product. Plus it is the only 1 of the 2 that works with itch. Which I feel is quickly becoming the software of choice over the rest for controller based dj's
Zong 11:58 PM - 29 June, 2010
haze - I imported your .tsi and the MIDI map section is just blank - i.e. no buttons work...

is it for Tractor PRO?
haze324 12:05 AM - 30 June, 2010
yes. Traktor Pro.

I can email it to you. I'm gonna download what I posted and then reload it.

If you can post up on the DJTT forum so we keep Traktor talk off of the Serato forum
:)
Zong 12:15 AM - 30 June, 2010
deal, thanks!