DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Question: How to connect two laptops with Serato?

Dainja 1:32 PM - 3 June, 2006
Just want some help in doing this. I usually spin together with other DJs and we still haven't figure out how to connect 2 computers and 2 Serato Scratch Live to a single mixer and 2 turntables.

What we've done so far is to import songs from one computer into the other and spin everything from one computer. But that is not really a good option. We want to be able to use 2 laptops.

Is there a good way to hook this up without having to use two complete setups (4 turntables, 2 mixers).

Please help me out! Can I use some sort of usb hub to hook up two laptops to 1 scratchlive or what should I do!?

I appreciate all kinda tips and tricks!
IanJ 2:02 PM - 3 June, 2006
"Y" cables as far as RCA's technically a usb hub would work but I would test it out at home before doin a gig
djrocket 2:27 PM - 3 June, 2006
Just take some regular vinyl or cd's to make the transition. This way, if you're playing and your buddy is next, just mix in the regular vinyl/cd. While it's playing unplug your lapy plug his in them he can start his set by mixing in from his Serato. To minimize the switch time he should have his lapy on. One song should be enough time for the transition. Practice at home to get it down pack.
Dainja 2:54 PM - 3 June, 2006
The thing is that we spin alot of back to back so switch computers is not really a good option. The "Y" cable / usb hub thing sounds like a better plan. Can anyone confirm that it will work?
Revolutionary 3:32 PM - 3 June, 2006
I don't think a USB HUB would do you any good as SSL usually doesn't work with them.

What about external HDs?
nobspangle 3:44 PM - 3 June, 2006
1. Don't use Y cables to combine outputs - see here www.rane.com
2. A USB hub won't work because you can only connect USB A sockets (the ones you get on a computer) to USB B sockets (the ones you get on printers, scanners and the SL 1)

If you have a mixer with 4 line inputs, you can simply plug setups into the mixer.
Failing that you can use line switch boxes, one on each input to switch between the two SL1s.

If you don't mind sharing a laptop, stick your music onto external drives and you will see all your music.
sixxx 3:52 PM - 3 June, 2006
Best thing is to power your SL1 with a power adapter. Throw a couple of regular records, unplug one laptop, plug the other laptop. You're good to go. It can be done very fast.
Diñolito 4:44 PM - 3 June, 2006
As the topic starter said, it's not ideal if u play back to back.
djrocket 4:49 PM - 3 June, 2006
Quote:
As the topic starter said, it's not ideal if u play back to back.

I think what we're saying is: there is no other way that we of to get this done. Maybe setting up 3 mixers and 4 tt's would work best.
Dainja 10:42 PM - 3 June, 2006
Damn. Serato needs to come up with a better way to solve this. So a 4 line mixer wuld work? And two scratchlives and a line switch box to change between seratos? I will try this.
djkrayz 12:54 AM - 5 June, 2006
as long as u have a 4 channel mixer you can use y cables to split the turntable rcas to goto each of your serato boxes and just return the phono from one serato box back to your mix. then hook up your line outs from serato to the mixer and you should be kew. make sure that if your boy leaves early to unhook the y cables because you will get interference from the open y cable causing your serato to go nuts.
MusicMeister 2:53 AM - 5 June, 2006
Use a pair of switch boxes. Hook up the turntables to the switch box, and then the switch boxes to each of the SSL boxes. Use the 'output' as the input from the turntables and the inputs as the outputs to the SSL boxes (it works - trust me I've done something similar).

You can then switch the turntables one at a time from computer to computer.

Basically, you'll be playing on TT2 and then your buddy is up. Switch TT1 to his SSL box and he will start beat matching his song. When he's picked up the new song on his laptop you can switch the second turntable and you'll be all set.

Almost forgot, you'd have to use a another set of switch boxes for the connetions from the SSL boxes to the mixer. This would let you use a battle style mixer for the setup. As long as you don't play music on both computers at the same time you might be able to use RCA 'y' cables to connect the SSL boxes to the mixer but that will be dependent on the wiring of the SSL boxes.

Not the most elegant solution but it will work.
Dainja 8:16 AM - 5 June, 2006
Cool. Thanks for the advice. Both Y cables or switch boxes will work but we still end up with having to use a 4 channel mixer. But I guess thats just how it us atm.

Thanks guys.
MusicMeister 2:36 PM - 5 June, 2006
You can use a two channel mixer if you combine the inputs coming back to the mixer from the SSL box. It would only make sense though if you already had a battle style mixer and didn't want to purchase a 4 channel unit.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:06 PM - 5 June, 2006
Quote:
Use a pair of switch boxes. Hook up the turntables to the switch box, and then the switch boxes to each of the SSL boxes. Use the 'output' as the input from the turntables and the inputs as the outputs to the SSL boxes (it works - trust me I've done something similar).

You can then switch the turntables one at a time from computer to computer.

Basically, you'll be playing on TT2 and then your buddy is up. Switch TT1 to his SSL box and he will start beat matching his song. When he's picked up the new song on his laptop you can switch the second turntable and you'll be all set.

Almost forgot, you'd have to use a another set of switch boxes for the connetions from the SSL boxes to the mixer. This would let you use a battle style mixer for the setup. As long as you don't play music on both computers at the same time you might be able to use RCA 'y' cables to connect the SSL boxes to the mixer but that will be dependent on the wiring of the SSL boxes.

Not the most elegant solution but it will work.

good post mm :)

imagine trying to hook up THREE ssl dj's into one dj setup scratchlive.net. just the thought of it makes my head hurt (as well as my wallet :)
SolKim 8:15 PM - 5 June, 2006
Its not that difficult, just switch out Serato Boxes. While the current DJ is playing, just unplug the the Turntable and Line cables thats not being used into your Serato box and then repeat those steps once you begin playing with the other turntable.
MusicMeister 9:08 PM - 5 June, 2006
Use the same setup I mentioned. If you use switchboxes for all the connections you'll be able to swap out up to 4 SSL DJ's w/ a push of a button.

Just pick up the 4 input/1 output A/V switchboxes at Radio Shack and use them backwards without the video. Works like a charm.
panchito 12:50 AM - 30 August, 2006
I know this is an old already discussed subject but, my homeboy dj dez hooked up 2 laptops 2 sl1 boxes and 2 turntables on one mixer, it's a 4 line 2 phono mixer but it might help someone out in the future.

take sl1 box #1 and plug in the turntables as usual now take the line outs and put them in the mixer on line 1 & 2. take the thru connections and plug them into sl1 box #2 take the line outs of this box and put them on line 3 & 4 of the mixer and the thru to phono 1 & 2. Worked great we were able to switch betweeen both laptops and vinyl with no problem.

I hope this is not to confusing and remember it has to be a multy input mixer it will not work with a 2 channel.
shmok1 9:08 AM - 30 August, 2006
good lookin out panchito, wll give it a try! so you're able to play back to back without switching RCAs or USB cables, right?!
panchito 7:11 PM - 30 August, 2006
Quote:
good lookin out panchito, wll give it a try! so you're able to play back to back without switching RCAs or USB cables, right?!

thats correct....

you can even play tracks from one laptop on one tt and tracks from other laptop on the other tt or vinyl or any combination.