DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ Remix Services: Top Secret, Lethal Weapon, Mix Factor, Wicked Mix, etc.

RiceCube 4:25 AM - 26 November, 2004
Does anybody on this board use/subscribe to DJ Remix services such as Top Secret, Lethal Weapon, Mix Factor, Wicked Mix, Funkymix, etc?
RiceCube 6:29 AM - 26 November, 2004
Javier, I saw your post somewhere else. I edit my own tracks and stuff so hit me up.

AIM: BroiledLambChops
djtwix@gmail.com
SpinThis! 4:01 PM - 26 November, 2004
i used to.. have older issues of wicked mix, funkymix, tons of x-mix.
djViBE 7:40 PM - 28 November, 2004
yeah, ive got funky, wicked and lethal...i prefer wicked the most, funky is good all around, lethal is good if you want to do your own cuz it the instrumentals are pretty much all there for the 32 count...but id suggest just making your own...its soo much more original and better, plus its always cool plugging yourself on the track
DJ 3pm 10:56 PM - 28 November, 2004
the club i used to work at had a funkymix subscription, i can't stand that they are all radio edits. if i'm at the club, i want to hear cuss words. has anyone seen any with explicit versions?
SpinThis! 11:09 PM - 28 November, 2004
depending on the issue, i remember x-mix used some explicit versions... i haven't bought any recently tho.. but you're right tho as long as i can remember ultimix/funkymix always edited their versions... kinda pointless when you play hip-hop right? (that's always pissed me off).
Supagee 12:17 AM - 29 November, 2004
they were done more for mix shows then for the club dj's as the club jocks normally got 12" singles of all the tracks and at one point hardly used the remix services in the clubs
dj Suave 11:11 AM - 18 December, 2005
Man I love this Forum...
Yeah if you need songs with Intros [ie...Lethal Weapon, Top Secret, FunkyMix] I actually make them...Clean and Dirty Versions...
AIM: djsuavejavi04
Thanks
DJMark 12:20 PM - 18 December, 2005
Some of those records have really poor pressing quality, to the point that they really suffer in comparison to the original 12" pressings. Another "make the re-edits yourself" vote here.
nik39 3:20 PM - 18 December, 2005
Good point Mark.
Supagee 9:17 PM - 18 December, 2005
ya i do alot of my own re-edits
nik39 11:24 AM - 19 December, 2005
DJMark, the only thing we need to have this, is some kind of small sequencer, so you can say, okay part 1 from point a to b, shall be repeated twice, then part 2 from c to d once, and then finally part 3 from the end of the track, then jump to the beginning. That would make editing so fly. :)
OG Supernatural 8:19 AM - 5 May, 2006
bump
OG Supernatural 8:43 AM - 5 May, 2006
Man the more I listen to all the samples of these remix's the more I agree in making your own. I was looking for something with extended intros and maybe a minor twist on the song but many of them have toooo much of a twist and are toooo busy.

What is the most popular remix series for classics/old school?
DJ 3pm 1:17 PM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
but many of them have toooo much of a twist and are toooo busy.

not to mention most of those songs have an additional drum (rhythm) track added to them.
RicecukeR 2:16 PM - 5 May, 2006
I like the Lethal Weapon series. Not much going on in their mixes, its more of the original song than a remix.
Julls 2:19 PM - 5 May, 2006
I've been a happy Funkymix user from Issue 40 to 91. I no longer buy them because I just don't have a use for them.
nik39 2:26 PM - 5 May, 2006
Lethal Weapon is okay, Funky mix sucks for me because the add additonal beats/snares and other crap.
shmok1 2:56 PM - 5 May, 2006
Problem with Lethal Weapon (like 98% of all the Mixseries) is that they only provide clean versions which I avoid to play (I'm Europe-based). I'd rather get myself the promo copies (I'm still a vinyl collector) and use the instrumentals for mixing if needed.

I hate Funky Mix, I've been working in a record store for years and believe me, there are so many DJs who couldn't even mix without those additional beat crap. Also their mixes are very likely to sound the same all the time, they just mix with the instrumental parts of those mixes. I'm not too much a fan of partybreaks in general, but the FunkyMix intros are just wack. My 2 cents.
double B 3:07 PM - 5 May, 2006
Whats wrong clean edits? I don't really think it affects the mood when cusswords are bleeped/reversed/replaced
Julls 3:09 PM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
Whats wrong clean edits? I don't really think it affects the mood when cusswords are bleeped/reversed/replaced

I agree, I have no problem with clean edits.
shmok1 3:18 PM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
yes it does. for example YYT-Saltshaker remix feat. Fat Joe, Fatman Scoop.... I only got it as B-side of the What's happnin promo and it's only the clean version - I hate it. See, the voice is a rapper's instrument. To me, it's like randomly cuttin out notes which affects the flow. I ain't got a problem with cussing and stuff either, where I live there's no need for clean radio versions..
Likwid 3:19 PM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, I have no problem with clean edits.

I'd rather play the explicit version. I wont stay away from a song if I only got the Lethal Weapon or clean, but I'd rather rock the LP version.
shmok1 3:20 PM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
I'd rather play the explicit version. I wont stay away from a song if I only got the Lethal Weapon or clean, but I'd rather rock the LP version.

same here
NotoriousM.I.T. 3:20 PM - 5 May, 2006
i agree.....not feelin the clean versions. if u play the clean version at a club and the cuss words are substitued with other words, the crowd just looks at u like wtf....
shmok1 3:24 PM - 5 May, 2006
move b***, can i get a.... nah mean??
NotoriousM.I.T. 3:55 PM - 5 May, 2006
lol....... move girl, get out of my way
Julls 3:58 PM - 5 May, 2006
Move (*glass getting broken sound*)(*car passing through sound*) get the way.
Julls 3:58 PM - 5 May, 2006
*get out the way
anewsome 3:59 PM - 5 May, 2006
i think the filing tha gap series are pretty decent. they don't add a bunch of crap to the song, just give you 8 bars of clean beats to intro and exit with.
NotoriousM.I.T. 4:05 PM - 5 May, 2006
when i usually play a song, i usually dont play the whole song...thats why i never really got why they extended the mix at the end. its nice to have the 8 bars at the beginning but also makes it much easier to dj
NotoriousM.I.T. 4:05 PM - 5 May, 2006
maybe too easy?
anewsome 4:28 PM - 5 May, 2006
exactly, the 8 bar intro is perfect for laying down over the chorus of whatever you are mixing out of. i'm usually done with the song way before those 16 bar outros though.
Dj_Smuve 6:59 PM - 4 June, 2011
Mixshow ingedients I would say is the best by far. I think they are better than lethal weapon for the way they put it together.
DJ metaphor 9:05 PM - 4 June, 2011
Quote:
Mixshow ingedients I would say is the best by far. I think they are better than lethal weapon for the way they put it together.

+1 execpt all of mixshow ingredients are clean songs though.
DJ Johnny Falvelo 1:44 AM - 5 June, 2011
Mixshow Ingrediants are not remixes. Just the singles with intro's and outro's. And yes all clean.
DJ Remy USA 1:37 PM - 5 June, 2011
whats wrong with clean at least you can play it everywhere. I used to get all dirty version but I find it a pain when I playing a spot that doesnt want cursing. Some songs need the curse words if its a part of song that everyone knows i.e. move bitch I cant play clean edit of that. But back on topic make your own intros its too easy no a days. You can even use audacity which suck but you can still make edits with audacity
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:24 PM - 5 June, 2011
Wow - Resurrected from May 2006...

I was just thinking Record Pools with DJ intros and all the guys making Edits PLUS Crooklyn Clan pay per downloads must have killed the Old School Remix Services faster than a hot knife thru butter in the last 2 or 3 years.

They used to be pretty cool - in their day.
DJ metaphor 12:42 AM - 6 June, 2011
Quote:
Mixshow Ingrediants are not remixes. Just the singles with intro's and outro's. And yes all clean.

true. is there another service like it that provides the regular versions?
Rebelguy 1:12 AM - 6 June, 2011
We still do the Lethal Weapon occasionally on strictlyhits.com. They come with the clean and dirty versions of the song.
DJ Tecniq 4:17 AM - 6 June, 2011
I was a huge fan of the lethal weapon, mix factor & wicked mix series. I had to convert most from vinyl. But now I love the fact you have them available digitally. The one mix you don't have digitally available is the energy all-star mashup mix from mix factor 66. That's gotta be the best classic rock/house freestyle mix i've ever heard by DJ Ajax? I can't tell you how many times iv'e dropped that mix in clubs it works for all types of crowds. Shame you do not have it.
DjThomas13 11:13 AM - 6 June, 2011
Lethal Weapon FTW
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:07 PM - 6 June, 2011
Quote:
whats wrong with clean at least you can play it everywhere.

I dotn mess with the clean ones because to much music now adays is 99% cuss words, i feel like i look bad as a dj when i play a track that goes.....ill and you DOG BAM BAM marc jacob and them what WE THE BEST
DJ Remy USA 10:24 PM - 6 June, 2011
Bezzle that's what diff between me and you. I don't mind dirty version but you can't dirty on the radio so you kinda don't have valid point. Everyone for the most part hears there favorite track on the radio which plays clean versions
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:07 AM - 7 June, 2011
Quote:
Bezzle that's what diff between me and you. I don't mind dirty version but you can't dirty on the radio so you kinda don't have valid point. Everyone for the most part hears there favorite track on the radio which plays clean versions

What i said was more of a point, i need all clean stuff because my spot has an outdoor speaker so i gotta keep it clean most of the night.....but i was being for real about half the new hits sounding shitty as clean versions, like i get TONS of requests for steady mobbin and that song soundd like BLEEEEP censored
Dan Vergel De Dios 1:52 PM - 20 November, 2011
ei..may i know your response regarding the best mixing software regading in editing music,,i see this software mixcraft it,,for now i just familiarising this stuff
Dan Vergel De Dios 1:54 PM - 20 November, 2011
any mixing software that you may suggest good for remixing and editing music..thankz for your pro advice..
Supermixer DJ Jamie 9:01 PM - 27 November, 2011
Ive been a dj for 20 years and have the following remix services in my collection
Ultimix, funkymix,looking back
Wicked mix
Turbo beat
Mixx-it
Powerhouse, promix
X-mix (dance, urban, radioactive, club classics, megamixes)
Mega-mixx
Disconet
Hot tracks, street tracks,
Select mix
Full tilt remix
Ghetto remix
Discotech
djelectro1986 8:16 AM - 10 June, 2012
Quote:
Ive been a dj for 20 years and have the following remix services in my collection
Wicked mix
Turbo beat
Mixx-it
Powerhouse, promix
Mega-mixx
Disconet
Select mix
Full tilt remix
Ghetto remix
Discotech

Are the in mp3 format are you willing to share/swap/sell i could some of these
Rebelguy 2:19 PM - 10 June, 2012
IBTL
ChrisD 9:52 PM - 10 June, 2012
Quote:
Are the in mp3 format are you willing to share/swap/sell i could some of these

djelectro1986, if you attempt to engage in illegal file sharing on this forum again I'll ban you.
djelectro1986 9:41 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:

Quote:

djelectro1986, if you attempt to engage in illegal file sharing on this forum again I'll ban you.

of course my last post/comment was deleted everybody's afraid to hear the other side of your story especially when there the boss and got some authority it's a power trip I'm sure this post will be deleted too but i don't give a fuck!! ChrisD I said i would follow the rules of this forum and then i shared my opinion there's no reason to delete my post because just because i had a good point and you are running shit on this forum that just means your scared of what i have to say go ahead delete this post ban me i don't give a fuck I'll be back real quick be real this is a free country don't delete my post just cause you don't like what I have to say

Thank You
Sincerely
DJ Electro
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:51 PM - 14 June, 2012
I feel a thread lock coming...
djelectro1986 10:03 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:

I bet your right but as Cypress Hill said I ain't going out like that and this is america and I will speak my mind
ChrisD 10:05 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
everybody's afraid to hear the other side of your story especially when there the boss and got some authority it's a power trip

I have no idea what you're talking about.

What I'M talking saying is that you were asking people to share music. That's illegal and is therefore something that is absolutely not ok to discuss on this forum.
Sol*los 10:07 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I bet your right but as Cypress Hill said I ain't going out like that and this is america and I will speak my mind

Making Americans look real dumb....
djelectro1986 10:20 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Making Americans look real dumb....

oh yeah like we don't look like a bunch of dumb-asses already like at the the condition were in as a nation and tell me were not a bunch of dumb-asses get of your high and mighty trip America was fucked way before i posted this i just speak my mind like it or not
djelectro1986 10:29 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
everybody's afraid to hear the other side of your story especially when there the boss and got some authority it's a power trip

I have no idea what you're talking about.

What I'M talking saying is that you were asking people to share music. That's illegal and is therefore something that is absolutely not ok to discuss on this forum.

I understand that it's illegal and agreed not to have that kind of disscussion on this forum when you reprimanded me for that i responded explaining my intentions and that it would not happened again i took offense because that post was deleted and i was under the impression that only serato forum moderators could delete post of forum users somebody deleted mine if it wasn't you I apologize
FunkyRob 10:30 PM - 14 June, 2012
BTW, this isn't America. It's the internet and technically, Serato is in New Zealand. Not sure what they did with the old one.
Sol*los 10:34 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
BTW, this isn't America. It's the internet and technically, Serato is in New Zealand. Not sure what they did with the old one.

Exactly what i was thinking.
DJPNUT 10:49 PM - 14 June, 2012
<---- "waits for comeback"
djelectro1986 11:04 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly what i was thinking.

I don't care where serato is located dude I'm from America there for I got freedom of speach to speak my mind there's your comeback djpnut
nik39 11:04 PM - 14 June, 2012
Are you sure the post got deleted? The mods on this forum are usually pretty casual and they rarely, veeeery rarely delete posts or threads. Veeery rarely. And it's not that they delete the posts which criticize Serato.
DJMark 11:13 PM - 14 June, 2012
The moderators here have always, very consistently said they won't tolerate having "file sharing" organized on this forum.

It's not an "America" or "Freedom of speech" issue at all. Serato owns the forum and website, and are free to set whatever rules they see fit.

Compared to most other "company run" forums, Serato handles this one with a very light hand.
djelectro1986 11:17 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
Are you sure the post got deleted? The mods on this forum are usually pretty casual and they rarely, veeeery rarely delete posts or threads. Veeery rarely. And it's not that they delete the posts which criticize Serato.

I typed it it was long I'm pretty sure i posted it although I could be wrong that's why i apologized to ChrisD if i was wrong but I'm not 100% sure i didn't hit the wrong button
ChrisD 11:19 PM - 14 June, 2012
I didn't delete any of your posts. No one did.

I can see deleted posts and there are none in this discussion.
reggae delgado 11:22 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
The moderators here have always, very consistently said they won't tolerate having "file sharing" organized on this forum.

It's not an "America" or "Freedom of speech" issue at all. Serato owns the forum and website, and are free to set whatever rules they see fit.

Compared to most other "company run" forums, Serato handles this one with a very light hand.

Amen!
And getting mad and arguing with mods about the subject will attract very few folks to your side.
djelectro1986 11:40 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
I didn't delete any of your posts. No one did.

I can see deleted posts and there are none in this discussion.

ChrisD I apologize to you then something else must have went wrong
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:49 AM - 15 June, 2012
Uhhhh oooooo kayyyyyyy.....

Watchwww.youtube.com
ChrisD 12:52 AM - 15 June, 2012
Quote:
ChrisD I apologize to you then something else must have went wrong

No probs dude.
FunkyRob 12:53 AM - 16 June, 2012
Delete this post.

I dare you!
FunkyRob 12:55 AM - 16 June, 2012
Wicked Mix shut down quite a while ago. I used to buy them things religiously back in the day.

At the time it was the only way I could get 5 or 6 songs for $12

I was very fond of the colors on the "Classic Collection"
djelectro1986 5:59 AM - 16 June, 2012
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

haha good shit thats funny
djelectro1986 6:00 AM - 16 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

haha good shit thats funny

I meant the video when i said "good shit" just to be clear
Blazey 12:29 AM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
ei..may i know your response regarding the best mixing software regading in editing music,,i see this software mixcraft it,,for now i just familiarising this stuff

Try This Sequencer software Call MAKING WAVES Great software for Remixing. Make Beats Slice and Dice make intros, outros, and All That goodies. Ableton live is Also good for Remixing but You May Not Get The Original mastered sound from the track when you render the file to wav with Ableton, whiles MAKING WAVES leaves the Original Sound untouched.The are many Sequencers out there thou but I Recommend, You check MAKING WAVES. google it
Joshua Carl 7:50 PM - 19 February, 2013
these were great tools FOR YOU BACK!

like most i would sit at the shops and wait for the bootleg singles (remember those white label hiphop records that usually came out a week before the singles.... spots usually kept a folder with what tracks were on them)

you would drop 4.99-6.99 x2 on the doubles.
then the pressings were bad, and the official single would drop with the Instrumental & acapella... so theres another 4.99-6.99 x2

then a month later the remix service would drop it ....
(I personally liked no-hype with intros built from the instrumental)

so in some cases instead of carrying 5 singles x2 (10 records) you could have them all on 1 record..... it was like hitting the lottery when you had a lethal weapon with 4+ playable jointz!

how easy it has gotten!

(I still Carry Xmix Urban with the Old School to New School mega mix on vinyl... thats my Oh shit! or swap DJs record... and Pump up the volume)
dj_soo 9:08 PM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Try This Sequencer software Call MAKING WAVES Great software for Remixing. Make Beats Slice and Dice make intros, outros, and All That goodies. Ableton live is Also good for Remixing but You May Not Get The Original mastered sound from the track when you render the file to wav with Ableton, whiles MAKING WAVES leaves the Original Sound untouched.The are many Sequencers out there thou but I Recommend, You check MAKING WAVES. google it

I don't think you're using ableton properly if you're not getting good sound
DJ Remy USA 9:48 PM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Over compressing the sound probably like most do and the wave forms come out all tiny and distorted
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:47 AM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:
(remember those white label hiphop records that usually came out a week before the singles....

Were they called Killer Kuts or something - now you've got me wanting to go in the basement and look...

Quote:
you could have them all on 1 record..... it was like hitting the lottery when you had a lethal weapon with 4+ playable jointz!

I had to LOL at that one - usually 2 hits, maybe 3 plus one mediocre cut you'd play since you had it - but 4 hits on one Lethal - that was a lottery hit - LOL
Blazey 4:12 AM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO What do You Mean By Not using Ableton "Proberly"?
You mean by Adding another Compressors and EQs on an Already Mastered Track to get a Good Sound? or by adding another Parallel compression on Already mastered Track to get it Distorted? is that what You Mean By not Using Ableton "Properly"? I Don't know nothing about Mastering (ZERO) But What I do Believe is that, original Mastered Track does not Need those tools for A Remix unless You Want to Re-master it Again which Makes no Sense to Me Because The file is Already compressed or mastered.
nik39 6:18 AM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
(remember those white label hiphop records that usually came out a week before the singles....

Were they called Killer Kuts or something - now you've got me wanting to go in the basement and look...

Quote:
you could have them all on 1 record..... it was like hitting the lottery when you had a lethal weapon with 4+ playable jointz!

I had to LOL at that one - usually 2 hits, maybe 3 plus one mediocre cut you'd play since you had it - but 4 hits on one Lethal - that was a lottery hit - LOL

+1.

Killah kuts, crib underground...
nik39 6:18 AM - 20 February, 2013
I always wondered how they were able to bootleg them a lot earlier than the og promos. And why they have never been shut down.
dj_soo 8:22 AM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You mean by Adding another Compressors and EQs on an Already Mastered Track to get a Good Sound? or by adding another Parallel compression on Already mastered Track to get it Distorted? is that what You Mean By not Using Ableton "Properly"? I Don't know nothing about Mastering (ZERO) But What I do Believe is that, original Mastered Track does not Need those tools for A Remix unless You Want to Re-master it Again which Makes no Sense to Me Because The file is Already compressed or mastered.

meaning you don't know how to use it?

if you're making remixes, of course you're going to eq things.

If you're just doing an edit of the track, then you don't need to compress or EQ anything

I'm probably guessing you're not warping properly to begin with.
Joshua Carl 5:16 PM - 20 February, 2013
they actually had a series called "old school classics" which was a back saver too.
(the bootleg people) maybe a dozen issues or so.

and then of course there were reruns which were done very well IMO
DJDaveOtt 5:49 PM - 20 February, 2013
I know a DJ that had a ton for sale. He sold his CDs on craigslist and facebook DJ pages...
Blazey 4:54 AM - 21 February, 2013
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I Will Not Boast and Call Myself A Pro like You. But the little that I know is enough For me.

Again There is No Need to add EQs on an Original MASTERED TRACK unless you want to create your own loops with a different source Like kicks, Hi Hats, and snare which is NOTE Sliced or Choped from the Original Track Then you will need Those tools to go with.

If you're just doing an edit of the track, then you don't need to compress or EQ anything
Glad that You agree with Me There.

lol Warping on Ableton is as easy as A B C So stop guessing :P
DJMark 11:05 AM - 21 February, 2013
There is NO reason any reasonably recent version of Ableton Live should be putting out "bad" sound if used correctly.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is misinformed, or maybe just spitting out bad information for some ulterior purpose.

I Also Don't Get People Who Type Like This with Random Capital letters Starting Some words, but I Guess that's Some Whole Other Subject (possibly best involving a therapist).
DJDaveOtt 5:25 PM - 21 February, 2013
The reason for the bad sound my be that you can't polish a turd
dj_soo 11:33 PM - 21 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I Will Not Boast and Call Myself A Pro like You. But the little that I know is enough For me.

Again There is No Need to add EQs on an Original MASTERED TRACK unless you want to create your own loops with a different source Like kicks, Hi Hats, and snare which is NOTE Sliced or Choped from the Original Track Then you will need Those tools to go with.

Glad that You agree with Me There.

lol Warping on Ableton is as easy as A B C So stop guessing :P

The amount of people who warp whole songs on beat warping mode is greater than you'd think
Dj Solz 6:01 PM - 19 December, 2013
Does anyone know where i can find these collections to purchase?

Wicked mix
Turbo beat
Mixx-it
Powerhouse, promix
Mega-mixx
Disconet
Select mix
Full tilt remix
Ghetto remix
Discotech
Rebelguy 6:34 PM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
Does anyone know where i can find these collections to purchase?

Wicked mix
Turbo beat
Mixx-it
Powerhouse, promix
Mega-mixx
Disconet
Select mix
Full tilt remix
Ghetto remix
Discotech

discogs.com
Dj Solz 6:41 PM - 19 December, 2013
Hey Rebelguy

Do you know if there in mp3 format or 12"

Thx