DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How Should I Start My Sets?

Ralph Fader 7:08 AM - 12 October, 2015
Hello fellow DJ's,

I'm struggling with the question of how should I begin my sets. Usually, I start off with slow (75-85)BPMs then I end somewhere around (120-140) BPMs. I was recently listening to a set by Branchez (BBC Diplo and Friends) and he started out his set very fast and ended with trap and other stuff within the lower BPM range. I just wanted to throw out this question and go from there based on the responses.

PS. Forgive me if this question has been asked before. I don't really post on the forum very often.

Cheers.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:32 PM - 12 October, 2015
Quote:
Hello fellow DJ's,

I'm struggling with the question of how should I begin my sets. Usually, I start off with slow (75-85)BPMs then I end somewhere around (120-140) BPMs. I was recently listening to a set by Branchez (BBC Diplo and Friends) and he started out his set very fast and ended with trap and other stuff within the lower BPM range. I just wanted to throw out this question and go from there based on the responses.

PS. Forgive me if this question has been asked before. I don't really post on the forum very often.

Cheers.

Typically I start my sets by hitting the play button and playing a song, that really sets the tone for whats next
DJ Lowrider 2:44 PM - 12 October, 2015
I usually do something similar BPM-wise as a starting point, but depends on the type of gig/time etc. Quite often I'll drop from 150 back down to 75 + BPM towards the end of my set.
Ralph Fader 2:07 AM - 13 October, 2015
Typically I start my sets by hitting the play button and playing a song, that really sets the tone for whats next

If you don't like the question or don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion, please refrain from commenting.
Ralph Fader 2:08 AM - 13 October, 2015
Thank you DJ Lowrider for your feedback.
DJBotz 11:52 AM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:

If you don't like the question or don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion, please refrain from commenting.

I see your point Ralph, but you kinda set yourself up for that one.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:01 PM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:

Do you start your sets differently? What technique do you use?
Dj_Nix 3:06 PM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:

Beat me to it... I was gonna say hook up the equipment, boot up the computer and play a song.

But in all seriousness, it depends on you. What mood your in and the audience. It shouldn't be the same each time.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 5:15 AM - 14 October, 2015
If you mix house music, start with a song that has a long intro (where it starts with just drums and then instruments come in)
Ralph Fader 12:09 AM - 15 October, 2015
I believe that having the equipment set up and pressing play was implied. The question was meant to get a consensus about whether DJ's should start slow/end fast, or vice versa.
Laz219 12:29 AM - 15 October, 2015
I think you're falling into the trap of thinking that BPM corresponds to 'energy' in music.
I usually start with whatever the hell I feel like, which is usually some random tracks I've found and like.
Ralph Fader 12:31 AM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
I think you're falling into the trap of thinking that BPM corresponds to 'energy' in music.
I usually start with whatever the hell I feel like, which is usually some random tracks I've found and like.

I'm going to try that. Thanks for the feedback.
 6 1:06 AM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:

This is exactly how I start....

Also, I always look around the room to see who is there at the time and feel the vibe of the place. Even if it's early, there should be a vibe. If not, the above works.

nm
The Despicable Nyan Cat 12:42 PM - 15 October, 2015
If you have a song that starts something like this: Watchwww.youtube.com , you can start with that song, then once the main drop comes in on this song, mix a song that you like, and start from there.
Taipanic 5:37 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:

No offense but you're getting responses like this because this is something that should come naturally to a DJ. Being able to read the room, noting the time of night and what type of venue, target crowd, how many people in the room and their energy level, music that is already playing, etc... All of these things dictate where you could start and where to go from there. Unless you know a room & the crowd it has you should never preplan a set, like starting at this BPM and ending at this BPM. So many newbies don't get that some of this is learned, some of it has to come naturally - and not everyone "has it". I could learn to play guitar but I will never be on the level of Eddie Van Halen or Eric Clapton, etc... - I just don't have "it" in me to create epic guitar solos like they have on the fly. Goes for anything in the Arts, some people just have more natural talent and are inclined to do well. Not saying you don't but there is a bit of attitude amongst veterans towards newbies because the DJ entry level bar has been lowered so much that everyone thinks they can do it. In reality, as with any art, only some people are very good at it and the bad ones only make it harder for the good ones to suceed because they generally take less money, sound bad, play bad - lowering the perception of all DJs.
Ralph Fader 7:28 AM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:

Quote:

No offense but you're getting responses like this because this is something that should come naturally to a DJ. Being able to read the room, noting the time of night and what type of venue, target crowd, how many people in the room and their energy level, music that is already playing, etc... All of these things dictate where you could start and where to go from there. Unless you know a room & the crowd it has you should never preplan a set, like starting at this BPM and ending at this BPM. So many newbies don't get that some of this is learned, some of it has to come naturally - and not everyone "has it". I could learn to play guitar but I will never be on the level of Eddie Van Halen or Eric Clapton, etc... - I just don't have "it" in me to create epic guitar solos like they have on the fly. Goes for anything in the Arts, some people just have more natural talent and are inclined to do well. Not saying you don't but there is a bit of attitude amongst veterans towards newbies because the DJ entry level bar has been lowered so much that everyone thinks they can do it. In reality, as with any art, only some people are very good at it and the bad ones only make it harder for the good ones to suceed because they generally take less money, sound bad, play bad - lowering the perception of all DJs.

Thank you for the feedback. I am by no means a newbie. I have been doing it for over ten years now, five professionally. I asked the question because when I listened to sets by some other DJ's like Branchez and Diplo, I have heard both of them start off with really high tempo/high energy tracks, then get progressively slower. I usually DJ for older expatriate crowds overseas (30-50yrs), and the way I play has never been a problem (which is the way I learned). I was thinking that this maybe a new thing among younger crowd goers, and wanted to get opinions of DJ's who are more experienced playing for younger audiences (17-25yrs), which I am not. Also, I didn't take into account that those sets were not performed in front of live audiences, so that might not be what they would do normally.
dj_soo 9:59 AM - 19 October, 2015
it really depends on when you're playing, who you're playing for, and what kind of party you're playing.

DJs like Diplo can pretty much play anything because they are a draw and people are paying to see them be them. They are also inevitably getting big headline timeslots with openers building the energy for them to play at prime time.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:31 PM - 19 October, 2015
Artists like Dipo are usually playing festival type situations. In those situations your doing a quuck set and the most important part is the first 3 sings. you want to come out hard and grab peoples attn but after about 3 songs their gonna wonder off to another stage or fall into a k-hole anyway so noones paying attn to what your playing anyway
DJ Matty Stiles 6:48 PM - 19 October, 2015
If after 10 years you have to ask this type of question then, no offence, you should hang up your headphones.
Ralph Fader 12:17 AM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
If after 10 years you have to ask this type of question then, no offence, you should hang up your headphones.

No offence, I think your comment is painfully ignorant. I laid out the fact that I had limited experience with the younger demographic, and I was getting feedback from others that do. As an experienced DJ, I know that styles and preferences change pretty quickly. I live overseas and play to audiences that do not want to hear contemporary pop music. The question I asked was related to some mixes I've heard (that's if you bothered to read it.) and whether or not there was a new trend among younger DJ's (although I wouldn't consider Diplo young). But thank you for confirming that the education system in America has completely failed because it is clear your reading comprehension abilities are lacking.
nathans1 2:35 AM - 20 October, 2015
Put the needle on the record

When the song beat goes like this

Pump up the volume
Pump up the volume
DJ Matty Stiles 4:01 AM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

No offence, I think your comment is painfully ignorant. I laid out the fact that I had limited experience with the younger demographic, and I was getting feedback from others that do. As an experienced DJ, I know that styles and preferences change pretty quickly. I live overseas and play to audiences that do not want to hear contemporary pop music. The question I asked was related to some mixes I've heard (that's if you bothered to read it.) and whether or not there was a new trend among younger DJ's (although I wouldn't consider Diplo young). But thank you for confirming that the education system in America has completely failed because it is clear your reading comprehension abilities are lacking.

Im not from America dude. I have 2 masters degrees. Who's ignorant? After 10 years you should know that BPM doesn't correlate to energy. Be faithful and toms diner are both around 100. Why would you assume this kind of logic? After 10 years you should know there are no "set rules" as to to how to start your set. This depends on a whole range of variables from the time of the night to the theme, all the way down to the architecture of the venue. You should just "get it". That's supposed to come naturally for DJs. If you haven't by now you never will.
DJ Matty Stiles 4:04 AM - 20 October, 2015
By the way, I read everything. Nothing wrong with my comprehension. I'm just astounded at this type of question.
Ralph Fader 5:07 AM - 20 October, 2015

Im not from America dude. I have 2 masters degrees. Who's ignorant? After 10 years you should know that BPM doesn't correlate to energy. Be faithful and toms diner are both around 100. Why would you assume this kind of logic? After 10 years you should know there are no "set rules" as to to how to start your set. This depends on a whole range of variables from the time of the night to the theme, all the way down to the architecture of the venue. You should just "get it". That's supposed to come naturally for DJs. If you haven't by now you never will.

I didn't know there was a Rhodes scholar in the group. You must have gotten your degrees from the Braille Institute because now I'm convinced that you can't see. I never asked about any "set rules." Stay on topic, Einstein.
Ralph Fader 5:15 AM - 20 October, 2015
You know what? I want to apologize to DJ Matty Stiles. I shouldn't have taken your comment personal. You don't know me. I don't know you. I know what my intent was when I asked the question. I didn't appreciate your comment, but it's your right to say what you want.
nathans1 5:16 AM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
I believe that having the equipment set up and pressing play was implied. The question was meant to get a consensus about whether DJ's should start slow/end fast, or vice versa.

Its an incredibly subjective question don't you think? So many variables that can affect why, when and how you should start a set. So although a lot of people have decided to answer your question sarcastically, Its actually impossible to answer in a way that would be appropriate or helpful to your specific circumstance unless you describe that specifically. Does that make sense to you?
Ralph Fader 5:21 AM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Its an incredibly subjective question don't you think? So many variables that can affect why, when and how you should start a set. So although a lot of people have decided to answer your question sarcastically, Its actually impossible to answer in a way that would be appropriate or helpful to your specific circumstance unless you describe that specifically. Does that make sense to you?

I know exactly what you mean, but thanks for the feedback. The last few sets I had listened to made me question if I had been missing something. The answer DJ M.Bezzle gave made the most sense to me.