Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Layout reflect Hardware

MutterOberin 1:35 PM - 6 October, 2015
Dear Serato Team,

I think there are a lot of controller DJ's out there. Besides pure controllers we have all the people with turntables and an additional controller (SP1 for example) like me.

I asked myself why the general layout does not reflect the hardware. What I mean by this is pretty simple. When I set the SP1 to "Hot cues" I am about to use that feature. So SDJ could switch and present all the 8 cue points next to the virtual deck. When I switch to "Manual Loop" I would like to see all the loops. At this moment it is obvious that I am not interested in seeing cue points anymore.

The default gives me all cues and two of the loops. That's fine for overview. But when switching the modes of the performance pads (either controller or SP1 and similar) I would like to have special views reflecting what I am focusing on, in that moment.

Otherwise I have to manually "sync" what I see in SDJ and what I use on the hardware.

Just an idea, what do you think?
deejdave 2:02 AM - 7 October, 2015
I think you are forgetting that one of the essential skills in DJing is multitasking. THIS is the point of having (simple at the least) views of all functions even when one or the other is selected.
MutterOberin 1:15 PM - 7 October, 2015
I agree on the "multitasking is an essential skill" point. But I don't see why the software should not support the DJ in focusing on what he wants to see during performance.
deejdave 2:18 AM - 8 October, 2015
It would alienate anyone trying to multitask no? If you are trying to use loops and cue points at the same time wouldn't you be a little inconvenienced if one was no longer viewable just because you clicked on one or the other?
MutterOberin 4:06 PM - 8 October, 2015
That is totally right.

But on the other hand there might be situations where it is absolutely ok to "loose" information about one specific aspect in favor of having more information about another. It depends I would say.

Consistency and "all in one" versus specialization and focus. Looks like there are arguments for both sides.

Thanks for you opinion! Made me think about it again.
serkan 5:38 PM - 10 October, 2015
I can see how this is useful but think it should be optional or MIDI mappable.
Personally I don't mind if this is not being done as it lets me focus more on the controller than on the laptop screen.
deejdave 11:41 PM - 10 October, 2015
Quote:
I can see how this is useful but think it should be optional or MIDI mappable.
Personally I don't mind if this is not being done as it lets me focus more on the controller than on the laptop screen.

Pretty much yeah. Although we all seem to agree if this ever made it to Serato being optional it couldn't be all that bad.
serkan 7:56 PM - 12 October, 2015
Sure not :)
MutterOberin 5:05 PM - 5 April, 2016
Another idea:

The cue points are in two vertical lists. I do not know any hardware having two vertical button rows. Instead the buttons are in two horizontal rows. Might be an idea to switch the SDJ layout so it reflects what people have on mixers and controllers.
deejdave 10:51 PM - 5 April, 2016
Quote:
The cue points are in two vertical lists. I do not know any hardware having two vertical button rows

CDJ's.