DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

VRX918SP vs SRX818SP...thoughts???

Rebelguy 3:05 AM - 3 October, 2015
The 818SP seems like a massive cabinet for a single 18in driver so I am leaning a bit more towards the 918SP but the VRX is an older tech cabinet. Anyone heard both and have any thoughts on the subject?
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:13 AM - 3 October, 2015
I have a friend getting a pair of 818SPs. I am going to ask her if I can do a shoot out with my VRX918SPs
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:15 AM - 3 October, 2015
my bet... is the SRX will sound better near field and the VRX will sound better long range. both great
DJ GaFFle 7:18 PM - 3 October, 2015
Quote:
my bet... is the SRX will sound better near field and the VRX will sound better long range. both great

Based on their very similar bass-reflex design, I wonder how this can be so.
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:32 AM - 4 October, 2015
SRX has extensive DSP, the VRX is designed to be flown and thats it
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:34 AM - 4 October, 2015
I'm rocking two VRX in small clubs and I'm missing that dance floor punch. sounds great at the back of the room though. I'm probably going to transition to something else, got my eye on the RCF 8003 MK2 when it drops to match my HD-32s.
Joee 7:26 AM - 4 October, 2015
Quote:
I'm rocking two VRX in small clubs and I'm missing that dance floor punch. sounds great at the back of the room though. I'm probably going to transition to something else, got my eye on the RCF 8003 MK2 when it drops to match my HD-32s.

8004 dub……& don't look back
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:03 AM - 4 October, 2015
it's the size and weight that are holding me back on the 8004. 8003-II is more along the lines of the VRX.

...searching all over for the specs though... i had them at one point
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:12 AM - 4 October, 2015
Joee 4:45 PM - 4 October, 2015
got you, another one to consider is the sub 8003 mkII 83lbs
Joee 4:47 PM - 4 October, 2015
wrong sub….thats the one you are looking @ …..lol

i forgot the model number let me see if i can find the vid
Joee 4:52 PM - 4 October, 2015
for some reason i thought they made a 18" version of this one Watchwww.youtube.com maybe not
Joee 4:54 PM - 4 October, 2015
ok, i'm all over the place…….lol

two hours sleep will do that to you……lol

heres the one i was looking for Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:45 AM - 5 October, 2015
I feel like the 708 will be a step down from the VRX. It's the 8003mk2 that I am waiting for to decide what move to make if any. It will probably be a matter of buying 4 8003mk2s and selling my two VRX or buying an addition two VRX.
DJ Guayo 2:52 PM - 12 October, 2015
had this write up on another thread as well.

I had a gig with my rcf gear HD32a (2) and 8004 (2) and the band ran qsc kw153s and qsc kw181s.

The first thing I noticed were the vocals being so much clearer on my setup. He sound carried well and much more crisp. The band was obviously louder with instruments and four monitors on the stage.

The sound guy had the digital mixer with iPad that was pretty dope. He was able to make adjustments while standing in front of the setup on the go.

The bass on the QSC sub was no match for the RCFs. I wasn't able to center cluster because of the setup.

Below are some pics of the setup and a dope floating cake.

www.flickr.com
Rebelguy 9:01 PM - 12 October, 2015
Quote:
had this write up on another thread as well.

I had a gig with my rcf gear HD32a (2) and 8004 (2) and the band ran qsc kw153s and qsc kw181s.

The first thing I noticed were the vocals being so much clearer on my setup. He sound carried well and much more crisp. The band was obviously louder with instruments and four monitors on the stage.

The sound guy had the digital mixer with iPad that was pretty dope. He was able to make adjustments while standing in front of the setup on the go.

The bass on the QSC sub was no match for the RCFs. I wasn't able to center cluster because of the setup.

Below are some pics of the setup and a dope floating cake.

www.flickr.com

I appreciate the response but the 8004s are a bit heavier then I am looking for. I also had the HD-32As at one point but returned them as I didn't really like the sound quality compared to my current system.
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:02 PM - 13 October, 2015
whats the current system?
Rebelguy 2:06 PM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:
whats the current system?

KV2 EX-12s.
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:23 PM - 13 October, 2015
it's going to be hard to beat that sound quality wise.
DJ Guayo 2:42 PM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:
KV2 EX-12s

cost a grip too. Nice choice Rebel....

Are you worried about having to lift the 8004? They are not that heavy to tilt down or up with the casters. But if you have to lift them that would be a problem for one person. We have a drop lift to get them up and down from the truck.
DJ Tracktion 10:54 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
I had a gig with my rcf gear HD32a (2) and 8004 (2)

How do you like those HD32a's and what kind of gigs do you mostly do?!

I'm currently running EV ELX15p's or 12p's as tops (with kw181 sub). I'm looking for more throw from my tops though and the 3"vc on the HD32a's I think will do the trick. I feel the sound and esp my voice on the mic get lost in places with high ceilings or long halls.

I play on a pair of RCF tt5a's often and they sound amazing but are like 3-4k each. It made me consider the tt1a and tt2a (10" and 12" versions) but still talking a couple g's per cabinet. The HD32a would be right where I'd like to be price wise.
Joee 10:57 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:

I'm currently running EV ELX15p's or 12p's as tops (with kw181 sub). I'm looking for more throw from my tops though and the 3"vc on the HD32a's I think will do the trick. I feel the sound and esp my voice on the mic get lost in places with high ceilings or long halls.

I play on a pair of RCF tt5a's often and they sound amazing but are like 3-4k each. It made me consider the tt1a and tt2a (10" and 12" versions) but still talking a couple g's per cabinet. The HD32a would be right where I'd like to be price wise.

look into these, i originally wanted hd32's but from all reports these might be better

www.rcf.it
Rebelguy 10:59 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:

look into these, i originally wanted hd32's but from all reports these might be better

www.rcf.it

Too bad they are not as good looking as the HD32As.
Joee 11:01 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:

agreed , why they didn't make the full grill kit for the 7 series is beond me, they mage one for the 3 series 12"

but if it sounds better than the HD i can get over the look
DJ GaFFle 3:37 AM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:

I play on a pair of RCF tt5a's often and they sound amazing but are like 3-4k each.

I once considered them but they're like over 90 lbs each.
Rebelguy 4:27 AM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:

Yup. I considered them as well and then I saw the weight.
DJ Guayo 12:41 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I had a gig with my rcf gear HD32a (2) and 8004 (2)

I've been happy with the HD32a. The powercon is a plus. I made my own powercon cables to go from the sub to the tops. I mostly do wedding/corporate events.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:25 PM - 16 October, 2015
I'm very happy with the HD-32. They sound great close range and have incredible throw while maintaining clarity. A little thin without a sub though.
DJ Guayo 4:57 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
I'm very happy with the HD-32. They sound great close range and have incredible throw while maintaining clarity. A little thin without a sub though.

Yup... that throw is crazy... The band member picked up my mic for a trio act (a wireless mic) short and you could make out his vocals better on the HD32a.
DJ Tracktion 4:04 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:

This....and normally I'd pick sound over looks but if it's close enough in sound than looks becomes a real deciding factor, esp when doing weddings.

Quote:

Yeah they're no joke and the handles are in a shitty spot. They are too high up on the cabinets and 80% of the weight is in the bottom half of the speaker so lifting them on to poles or anywhere basically needs help from the Hulk. The 10"s are only 55lb and considerably smaller so shouldn't be much worse than what I have now.

Quote:
I've been happy with the HD32a. The powercon is a plus. I made my own powercon cables to go from the sub to the tops. I mostly do wedding/corporate events.

::thumbs up emoji::

Quote:

Another thing I've heard about these is no "w/ sub" setting or crossover to set when using with a sub. True/false? and run in to any problems/issues if so..? If running directly from subs with a hi-pass it's a non issue but I run subs separately out from my extra output a lot.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:47 PM - 19 October, 2015
^ it's true. there is no crossover in the HD-32.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:47 PM - 19 October, 2015
or high pass cut off
Joee 4:49 PM - 19 October, 2015
none of the art 3/4/7 or hd series have a crossover/high pass filter, they put them in the sub
DJ Tracktion 5:41 PM - 19 October, 2015
Yeah. I mean, I'm not doing live sound for Billy Joel so I think any comb filtering is prob not going to be noticeable to most but who knows...

That and I could just run from my subs more instead. Just nice to have the option.