DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

TTM 57 SL Mark II - Low volume?

atothel 9:28 PM - 13 September, 2015
Got the Mark 2 last week and have started playing with it. Have noticed already that when recording mixes that the output through RCA (controlled by Session knob) is noticeably lower than the original 57SL. (Although I have that adjusted using the Master Output Level in Scratch Live for the original mixer).

For comparison when recording mixes the original 57 has the Aux out set at 4, whereas on the Mark 2 I have the Session out knob maxed out at 10 and I'm still not getting comparably output level wise - I can't even get this thing to clip. (Obviously I don't want that, but I'm saying... just for proof purposes.)

So my questions are...

1) Serato DJ has a Master Output Level control too - I see that on the manual. But it's not appearing on the screen for me. Is it because I have a 57 Mark 2 working with the software?

2) If so, then how do I adjust the output to give me better volume output so that I can control it with the volume control on the mixer? Maxing it out doesn't seem like a suitable plan at all.

Help required please.
05spoof 10:46 PM - 13 September, 2015
It's only available in the offline player.

Yeah session isn't that loud. Try using booth if it's not being used.
atothel 3:26 PM - 14 September, 2015
That's the problem... my booth outs are being used for my monitors.

One of the clubs I play at also only has a hookup on RCA (I know, right) so I know I'm in trouble there if it can't get any louder. I'm going to have to end up keeping my original 57 just for that club, which is not what I had planned at all.

Any more opinions from anyone else?
PopRoXxX 6:50 PM - 14 September, 2015
Did you update the firmware already?
05spoof 11:02 PM - 14 September, 2015
Does the place you gig have an outboard mixer?
atothel 2:03 PM - 15 September, 2015
DJ PopRoXXX Yes. Firmware updated to newest version.

05spoof Yeah, but messing with that is not an option. The spot is kinda set in their ways, and every other DJ who plays there (including me on the original 57) never has to mess with the mixer.

As well as that though, just recording mixes at home, I shouldn't have to increase the volume on my mixes AFTER I'm done just to get them to a respectable volume level. (And that's AFTER adjusting all my line-in recording levels to max, to try to take into account the much lower volume difference - which is basically what you're advising me to do in the club with the outboard mixer... adjust everything else to make up for the lack of volume on the main piece of equipment I use.)

:(

Never seen this issue before. Anyone from Serato care to comment or help, please?
atothel 11:42 PM - 17 September, 2015
Bump.

Anyone? Can't really use this mixer as is, so it'd be nice to get some Serato / Rane advice on my near 2 grand's worth.

Please.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:46 PM - 22 September, 2015
Hey Atothel,

I just tested this and you are correct that the session output of the 57 is a bit hotter.
I have both mixers session output running into a third mixer. Levels are just under clipping on both the original 57 and the MKII. The knob is at 6.5 on the 57 and 9 on the MKII. This is not a huge discrepancy though. I'd say maybe 3db of difference.
Question… where are you running your input levels on your mixer? What LED do you stay at or around when mixing?