DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to Program a 4-5hour Multi-genre Dj set?

Katana 9:29 PM - 23 August, 2015
Wassup guys, for the past 7 years, I have been playing mostly 3hour dj sets (11pm-2am) in mostly top 40/hiphop clubs. I recently moved to a new bigger city where the musical tastes are completely different. The crowds here are open to all sorts of genres from hiphop to reggae to top 40 to dance music, dancehall, afrobeats; you name it.

I am literally in heaven coz i can pretty much play whatever i want as opposed to in the past where i was tied down to only top 40 and hiphop. However, there is so much that i can play that i'm getting overwhelmed trying to play a bit of everything.

I am thinking of several ways that I can program my 4-5hr sets so that i can touch a bit of at least most of the popular genres. My first idea was to play maybe 20-30min sets of each genre throughout the night as i rotate through them, So for example i start off with a 20min hiphop set then move to a 20min dance set then proceed to a 20min reggae set etc and keep rotating like that throughout the night.

And Because the spot usually get packed at around 12 midnight (i'll be playing from 10pm-2am), I can start off with a build-up set of all the really popular songs (regardless of genre) for like the first 30-45min, then proceed to playing 30min sets of each genre on rotation.

Any other ideas that you guys may have for programming a 4-5hr multi-genre set? Looking for different perspectives so I can try them out, and also other experiences from Djs on here that play for long hours in the club.
Taipanic 3:44 PM - 24 August, 2015
You should try to keep at least 2-3 songs of a Genre together if you can but it really depends on the crowd and your requirements. You have to read the room and see what people are grooving to. Is this a club that needs to keep a full dance floor or a more casual spot? This is where experience and knowledge of music come into play and an ability to flow from one Genre to another. Every night in every venue is different, you can't really pre-program this type of stuff.
DJ Benny B NYC 9:03 PM - 24 August, 2015
No matter what genre you play I would do this:

10 PM to 12 PM - play upbeat good songs that people don't know
12 to 12:30 - play big recognizable songs that are old
12:30 to 1:30 - play new songs and/or big old songs
1:30 to 2 - play big recognizable songs that are old

I generally do at least 10 to 15 minutes of a genre unless we are talking like hip-hop, r&b, pop etc (basically the same genre). This sounds good to me:

"So for example i start off with a 20min hiphop set then move to a 20min dance set then proceed to a 20min reggae set etc and keep rotating like that throughout the night."
DTweed 11:38 PM - 24 August, 2015
Honestly don't pre program you will limit yourself by thinking you have to play hip hop at specific times. Read the crowd and see what they're enjoying. You might be doing a 20 rap set then kill the mood by switching formats.

Definitely have crates specified for genres to play as a set but don't say crate 1 is from 10-10:30. Also you will get bored, spark your creative juice and play off the fly it will keep you and the crowd energized
Steve_TBD 12:21 PM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
No matter what genre you play I would do this:

10 PM to 12 PM - play upbeat good songs that people don't know
12 to 12:30 - play big recognizable songs that are old
12:30 to 1:30 - play new songs and/or big old songs
1:30 to 2 - play big recognizable songs that are old

I generally do at least 10 to 15 minutes of a genre unless we are talking like hip-hop, r&b, pop etc (basically the same genre). This sounds good to me:

"So for example i start off with a 20min hiphop set then move to a 20min dance set then proceed to a 20min reggae set etc and keep rotating like that throughout the night."

Agreed!
Dj Rehab 6:44 PM - 27 August, 2015
Definitely have crates specified for genres to play as a set but don't say crate 1 is from 10-10:30. Also you will get bored, spark your creative juice and play off the fly it will keep you and the crowd energized

This is the truth! Predetermined sets are just crazy, some people that like Biggie may also like some rock or Twerk, you have no set rules really..........This crate for a certain time stuff is really limiting creativity.
Code:E 6:57 PM - 27 August, 2015
I play 10-2 every week and I do it a little differently.

10-11: Recognizable hits from 2-5 years ago, occasional throw back. Much quicker switches between genres so people dont get board well the club is filling up.
11-1130 (ish): crank it up, all daceable stuff. never any slow jams, no slow grindy hip hop, Its always girls 1st tot he floor and they dont want shit. You are trying to build the dacne floor at this point, people will want to see the dance floor going when they come in. They are of if the bars look empty as long as you got a solid dance floor.
1130-1:15 (ish): this is my bulk of the night. When playing by myself I take people on an adventure. Up and down though the BPM range. In here I can play some grindy hiphop, big EDM tracks with proper brake downs, Fully commit to a genre for a good 20 mins, This part of the night I always play in key and never radio mix any tracks. I can go off on mini tangents (never more than a 1 min long) some beat juggling, or live looping transitions into different genre's to cycle the dance floor. Its always important to keep the bar busy, which means you need to keep people in the club but not everyone on the dance floor all night.
1;15-2: this is my time, request are done and over with, people are so drunk you can go a little left field and play so of your favs. I am (for lack of a better term) an EDM guy. This is where I (and if I'm battling) we go hard. Nothing but banging track, usually mixed very quickly until the end of the night. To clarify EDM as I see it, Tracks from all BPM ranges, banger jumping around going wild tracks. Dubstep and trap to mid tempo Dillion Francis, major lazer type stuff, to 128 anthems, and more and more big sounding future house anthems. Also I throw in a throw back hip hop mini set int he middle of it somewhere. Again quick mixes for everything verse chorus out.
We dont have or do a cool down time around here. you never bring them down or make them want to leave before the drinks stop being served, so I know many other will need a cool down set at the end, but that up to your venue. Nearly every Saturday (our big night) there's a one more song chant. And we play some cheesy classic track or one last banger with the house lights on.

On the note of
Quote:
generally do at least 10 to 15 minutes of a genre unless we are talking like hip-hop, r&b, pop etc (basically the same genre). This sounds good to me:

Excatly this^ 110-80BPM shit is all the same generally. My "hip-hop" folder really is a mainstream club folder without any "dance" music. Pop, Hip hop it's all the same I try to stick to BPM ranges for a period of time rather than genre's. 10-15 is a good length of time.
I also have a create for everything I play before 12 and other for everything after 12.

I see the rangers like this:
135-122 BPM (2 groups inside that range, Mainstream and Dance Music)
120-110 BPM (2 groups again, mainstream, and faster midtempo Dance shit)
109-90 BPM 1 group, I jump between genres at will in here, Mid tempo dace stuff mixes with everything hip hop and top 40 in this range.
90-80 BPM really I only have hip hop in this range, the occasional EDM, drum and bass, dubstep tracks show up in here, But I dont play them too often.
80-70 BPM Rap/Trap and Dubstep. Again I see these all the same and switch between them all regularly.

As a rule for me no track is faster that 140 or slower than 70. But there are always exceptions. 99% of my tracks get BPM'ed between that range, Bugatti and some other rap/hip hop will full in that category of below 70 and definitively not 140, same as a old Tiesto track that 142 wont get played as 71. Again those are exceptions.

Playing nothing but reggae or afrobeat, or hell dubstep/trap/128EDM shit for any long length of time i find boring. That's why I look at BPM ranges and rather than genres.
Katana 10:10 PM - 31 August, 2015
Thanks alot for the different perspectives guys! I appreciate it and I'm getting plenty of ideas. I like Benny B's layout as well as Code E.

For those who say I should play on the fly, I fully agree. I'm not looking to have a pre-planned song-by-song 4hour set haha. I just wanna make sure I have a layout or structure to my set such that I can be strategic instead of showing up at the club and getting overwhelmed because there's so much to play.

The decision i'm trying to make is between structuring my set by genre or by BPM ranges. Bpm ranges allow you to mix up genres nicely but you may end up giving one too much priority over another. At the same time, by genre gives each genre priority but it may make your set not to flow naturally and you may drag one genre out for too long without realizing it.

I'm trying to decide what framework i can use between the two.
CMOS 10:43 PM - 31 August, 2015
I usually make a plan, walk in the gig, throw on first song from plan, throw plan out the window, read crowd.
DJ Irv 11:38 PM - 31 August, 2015
Quote:
I usually make a plan, walk in the gig, throw on first song from plan, throw plan out the window, read crowd.

Sounds like my plan.
 6 12:01 AM - 1 September, 2015
Quote:

lol - That is usually what has happened to me. But, in a way, preparing for the gig kinda makes reading the crowd and knowing what to throw easier.

It's kinda like a refresher course of what you have that may work... and it does.

nm
Taipanic 7:19 PM - 1 September, 2015
I'll make a separate crate for each venue I play, with what usually works in that room or what general direction I think I'll be going musically. I usually keep those crates around for a while so I have other clubs I've played at crates' available too. That's in addition to all my regular Genre & dated crates.
Jim Davis Productions 7:43 PM - 1 September, 2015
You guys should try doing weddings... you'll end up with a series of songs like:

1. Temptations - Ain't Too Proud to Beg
2. Dion - Runaround Sue
3. Taio Cruz - Dynamite
4. Calvin Harris - Blame
5. DMX - Party Up

So that's a BPM range of like 80 to 128 and a decade range of 1960s to 2010s, haha.