DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Why is there no effect to remove instrumentals/vocals on the fly??

Katana 10:50 PM - 22 August, 2015
Lemme start by saying that I know that this is VERY difficult to do because of how songs are produced. But it being 2015, and with technology having come this far, I'm sure there is a way that this can be done.

I love creating remixes on the fly by mixing different acapellas and instrumentals during my sets. But in order to do this effectively, I have to have the acapellas and instrumentals that I plan to use beforehand and at an easily accessible folder so that I can go back and forth with them. Other Djs who do this know that this takes lots of time, especially finding high quality acapellas and instrumentals.

It would be sooo awesome if there was an effect that we could use that cuts out (on the fly) the instrumental and leaves only the acapella of the track that's playing, to which we can throw another beat underneath and create a nice mix. Or vice versa, use such an effect to remove the vocals of the track that's playing thus leaving the instrumental playing to which we can throw an acapella ontop of that instrumental on the fly.

There are some effects out there that exist that try to do this, but tey sound so shitty that it is unusable. Also, cutting out the bass or meddling with the mids and highs doesn't create a nice clean acapella-instrumental blend that you would get by having the clean acapella and a good sounding instrumental.

In my opinion, such an effect would infuse so much creativity and encourage more live performance of music as opposed to relying too much on pre-produced mashups that tend to leave the Dj doing almost nothing live.

I'm sure there's a way this could be possible in the near future; we need to take our performances as DJs to the next level and bring the live performance of music back!!

Thoughts?
DJ Matty Stiles 3:33 AM - 23 August, 2015
Stems but I can't see it taking off in hip hop
DJ Reflex 4:04 AM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
In my opinion, such an effect would infuse so much creativity and encourage more live performance of music as opposed to relying too much on pre-produced mashups that tend to leave the Dj doing almost nothing live.

Wait... aren't there some knobs to be twisting and some hand-hearts to be making?
d:raf 4:10 AM - 23 August, 2015
Has anyone ever tried one of these? www.ltsound.com

I remember them from these ads back in the day...

From '86: books.google.com

...to '95: books.google.com

... to '05: books.google.com

...same ads. lol
Davideon 5:41 AM - 23 August, 2015
You aren't going to get anything effective as an effect. It's not an effect anyway it's a process.

There is Some software that has just come out that claims to do this effectively via sonic analysis . But due to the cpu requirements ill be along time before it can be used ever in DJing.

I dont think it ever will be.
MPC O.G. 12:21 PM - 23 August, 2015
There is. It's called STEMS........Let the hate begin!
05spoof 12:33 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
Lemme start by saying that I know that this is VERY difficult to do because of how songs are produced. But it being 2015, and with technology having come this far, I'm sure there is a way that this can be done.

I love creating remixes on the fly by mixing different acapellas and instrumentals during my sets. But in order to do this effectively, I have to have the acapellas and instrumentals that I plan to use beforehand and at an easily accessible folder so that I can go back and forth with them. Other Djs who do this know that this takes lots of time, especially finding high quality acapellas and instrumentals.

It would be sooo awesome if there was an effect that we could use that cuts out (on the fly) the instrumental and leaves only the acapella of the track that's playing, to which we can throw another beat underneath and create a nice mix. Or vice versa, use such an effect to remove the vocals of the track that's playing thus leaving the instrumental playing to which we can throw an acapella ontop of that instrumental on the fly.

There are some effects out there that exist that try to do this, but tey sound so shitty that it is unusable. Also, cutting out the bass or meddling with the mids and highs doesn't create a nice clean acapella-instrumental blend that you would get by having the clean acapella and a good sounding instrumental.

I'm sure there's a way this could be possible in the near future; we need to take our performances as DJs to the next level and bring the live performance of music back!!

Thoughts?

Not possible because your dealing with stereo tracks. The vocals share the same stereo channels as the instruments and will also share the same frequencies with some of the instruments that accompany it.

Disclaimer: play at your own risk...P...L...A...Y

One solution that "might" be acceptable is using a DAW with a 32 band graphic eq plug-in and cut all the frequencies surrounding the vocal. You may have to do some fiddling with freqeuncies within the vocal to get somewhat close to what you want. Even still, your not going to get rid of the instruments completely but they won't be as present. Then you might have to add another eq on top of the already equalized vocals to get it to sit right over within instrumental your trying to use.

The results will very from track to track and many times it might not be to your standards.
Code:E 6:37 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:

That would be the stupidest thing ever. Steams needs to take off and every genre needs to embrace it. I'm dieing to start using steams I have been hoping for something like them for along time. I just need Steam Music videos and I will be in heaven!
 6 7:09 PM - 23 August, 2015
Stem videos? Having an instrumental video with a singer or rapper that is muted is retarded.

nm
Code:E 7:15 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
Stem videos? Having an instrumental video with a singer or rapper that is muted is retarded.

nm

So closed minded..... Doing live mashups with video's with one track instrumental and another vocal. Excalty what I have been trying todo for year. I did it for a while with the bridge but I want video also.
Davideon 8:52 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:

nm

For some reason I read that and thought about 50 Cent.
Katana 9:08 PM - 23 August, 2015
what is this 'STEM' thing and how does it work? I haven't heard of it yet.
AKIEM 9:28 PM - 23 August, 2015
MP4 already have multiple tracks. I cant see how it would be that difficult for dj softeare to just put those tracks on seperate channels.

MP4 always seemed like the best way to do stems and video.
 6 11:59 PM - 23 August, 2015
Is not about being closed minded. It's about common sense. You see someone moving their lips and you expect sound to match that.

nm
AKIEM 12:02 AM - 24 August, 2015
you would expect the vocals to match - not necessarily the music - aka a remix
AddamXavier 1:17 AM - 24 August, 2015
Quote:
what is this 'STEM' thing and how does it work? I haven't heard of it yet.

It's a Native Instruments created, open (?) format. The goal is exactly what you describe: www.stems-music.com

Currently it only works with the latest version of Traktor and you're really only gonna be able to utilize it properly on a few hardware controllers.

Here's a good video explaining what it is and how it works: news.djcity.com

I tend to agree that I am unsure about it's future. There are some cool things about it, but i see a lot of reticence from artists and labels alike to give anyone access to the elements of the songs.
djnak 4:03 AM - 24 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

So closed minded..... Doing live mashups with video's with one track instrumental and another vocal. Excalty what I have been trying todo for year. I did it for a while with the bridge but I want video also.

Smash has Acapella Vidzof popular tracks...as for the instrumental it would be better to drop a visual over or rework the video so there is no unsync'd vocals in the instrumental
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:28 PM - 24 August, 2015
Quote:

nm

I thought he meant a video where the rapper dissappears from the vid lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:29 PM - 24 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

That would be the stupidest thing ever.

Why would that be stupid at all
DJ Matty Stiles 4:49 PM - 24 August, 2015
^ I think we need to manage our expectations. It would be very cool if we could do this with top 40 / hip hop but I see it as a niche thing amongst EDM / traktor users. I hope I'm wrong.
Laz219 3:54 AM - 25 August, 2015
With the stems creator that is currently in beta, the ease of making them should mean a lot more start to turn up across all genres.
SeriousCyrus 10:12 PM - 27 August, 2015
There's a fairly simple way to do it with *some* tracks recorded in a specific manner, but it's not a one shot effect:

www.howtogeek.com
ral 5:37 PM - 28 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

I thought he meant a video where the rapper dissappears from the vid lol

that would be great

just the go-go dancers in the vidz lol
05spoof 4:27 PM - 29 August, 2015
Check out the new app called Moses, but it only divides .wav files. Let my vocals go =P
d:raf 4:38 PM - 29 August, 2015
So, I googled "Moses app".

I don't think this'll work at all: mosesorganic.org

This was closer but still no dice: www.mosesavalon.com

and this definitely ain't it: www.tabtale.com

...so, link? :)
d:raf 4:40 PM - 29 August, 2015
Oh, wait... lolz

viralpup.com
05spoof 9:59 PM - 29 August, 2015
;) lol
DJMark 3:11 AM - 30 August, 2015
If you've got a digital copy of identical-length "Vocal" and "Instrumental" mixes, you can often get something close to an a capella by precisely lining up both tracks in a multitrack editor/DAW then flipping phase on one. Works best on digitally-produced linear PCM tracks. Lossy compressed files are likely to give less "clean" results. You may need to do a bit of gain change to one of the tracks to get best cancellation effect, may also need to do some edits to keep the effect consistent for the length of a song.

Due to production/mastering variances, this technique doesn't always work the same, especially if working with tracks that were originally sourced from different releases (such as CD singles from different countries). You're most likely to have success with tracks ripped from the same CD. You're least likely to have success with tracks sourced from vinyl, the minor speed irregularities will make sample-accurate cancellation very difficult.
 6 4:52 AM - 30 August, 2015
Those DIY a capellas go in the trash the moment I spot them

nm
Katana 9:44 PM - 31 August, 2015
Quote:
Those DIY a capellas go in the trash the moment I spot them

nm

I have to agree with 6 on this one, those DIY acapellas are often pretty terrible even after the process. I have plenty times tried to do the invert phase method using the vocal mix and instrumental but the resulting acapella comes out sounding pretty bad.

However what I was reffering to was a way to do it on the fly where an effect can cut out either the vocals/instrumentals from a track playing in the software. The stem files idea sounds promising for the future; ill check out that Moses effect I haven't looked into it yet. Has anyone found the correct link?
05spoof 10:13 PM - 31 August, 2015
^ how to vid for the app
Watchwww.youtube.com
d:raf 10:25 PM - 31 August, 2015
Quote:
ill check out that Moses effect I haven't looked into it yet. Has anyone found the correct link?

I think it only works on the outdated Pharaoh platform.
DJ B-West 1:34 AM - 1 September, 2015
Native Instruments has STEMs but that's about as close as youll get