Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Best settings when recording with Serato and your controller

Rezonate 9:58 PM - 18 August, 2015
Hello everyone

I'm curious as to what everyone's settings are with Serato as well as their controller when recording a mix to sound at the best volume and quality.

I don't really have any output speakers at the moment so I rely on my DJ headphones for listening. My volume levels are as follows,

CONTROLLER HEADPHONE VOLUME, I just adjust according to how loud I need it to listen to my mix and basically use it as a master.
CONTROLLER MASTER, it's at minimum since I don't have output speakers.
CONTROLLER CHANNEL FADERS, all channel faders are all the way up.
CONTROLLER GAIN, I keep these slightly below it's middle pointing up because if not the orange and red limiter warning comes up.
SERATO SOFTWARE MASTER, mid point or halfway
SERATO SOFTWARE INDIVIDUAL DECKS, mid point or halfway
SERATO SOFTWARE RECORDING VOLUME, I set this about at 75% because I am still trying to figure out how to have a good volume playback level for my recordings.

Whenever I play a regular song mp3 I notice that the volume level is very strong, loud and overall perfect as far as volume. But when I playback my aif that I recorded through Serato it sounds just a bit lower but in the Serato software I noticed that if I try to increase Gain the volume limiter warning comes on.

What is the best setting to have your software and controller at?
Supagee 10:20 PM - 18 August, 2015
your master (controller) should have at least be at 12 o'clock. This volume determines the output of your recording.

your recording volume in the software should be set to just clip the first yellow.

You should be recording your mixes at a decent low volume as this gives you the room to dump the mix into a DAW and master the mix and leave enough head room to do adjustments in the over mix.

I record my mixes and radio show using a DDJ-SX and SDJ software, then once the mix is done i dump it into ableton and master the mix and add my radio bits.

hope this helps
Rezonate 12:14 AM - 19 August, 2015
Quote:
your master (controller) should have at least be at 12 o'clock. This volume determines the output of your recording.

your recording volume in the software should be set to just clip the first yellow.

You should be recording your mixes at a decent low volume as this gives you the room to dump the mix into a DAW and master the mix and leave enough head room to do adjustments in the over mix.

I record my mixes and radio show using a DDJ-SX and SDJ software, then once the mix is done i dump it into ableton and master the mix and add my radio bits.

hope this helps

Yes, thanks for the response. The playback of my mixes weren't VERY low they just weren't up to par with my .mp3 tracks (that sounded a tad a bit higher). I'll set the recording volume as well.

But once I record my mixes I just finalize them with Serato. I use a DAW as well but have never thought of dumping it into Maschine 2.3 which is the DAW that I use. They sound pretty good coming off of Serato.

Thanks again
Rezonate 10:00 PM - 24 August, 2015
If I have set every visual equalizer to just clip the first yellow of every meter, but I am still detecting some pops in my headphones here and there is there something or a setting I have wrong?

Also with that being said looking at the type of computer specs I have listed in my profile what would you say are the best Latency setting I should have selected? Or any other important settings I should keep in mind for optimal performance and recording?
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:04 AM - 28 August, 2015
Seems like a trick load of gains you are tweaking there
I use the autogain function in Serato, so I don't usually touch any of the internal software levels.
Since you have a controller,
Channel gain should be tapping into Amber, I'm usually at Zero for this
Just stay in green if you can. You can always boost the overall gsin after the session