DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

lighting set-up

dj res-q 12:32 AM - 31 July, 2015
i wanted you guys input on a new setup i put together. Is it to much,not enough,or just right for a mobile dj setup? Any info on what i need to add or get rid of greatly appreciated....Below are the lights.....

2 ADJ pocket spot twins
2 Chauvet geyser Rgb
2 Chauvet wave 360 irc
1 Chauvet motions background & facade set

As far as DJ setup i use:
2012 macbook pro 15
Numark ns7 ii
2 ev etx 12p
2 ev etx 18sp

my backup small setup:
Numark ns6
2 mackie srm 450
2 mackie srm 1850
Joee 1:50 AM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
2 ADJ pocket spot twins

not bright enough you want look at www.chauvetlighting.com

also you can't go wrong with

www.chauvetlighting.com

www.chauvetlighting.com

www.adj.com

Quote:
As far as DJ setup i use:
2012 macbook pro 15
Numark ns7 ii
2 ev etx 12p
2 ev etx 18sp

perfect

Quote:
my backup small setup:
Numark ns6
2 mackie srm 450
2 mackie srm 1850

ok for backup
dj res-q 8:56 AM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
not bright enough you want look at www.chauvetlighting.com

also you can't go wrong with

www.chauvetlighting.com

www.chauvetlighting.com

www.adj.com

Joee if i go with this setup how many of each should i get or which ones should i get?
Joee 11:59 AM - 31 July, 2015
you could mount this www.chauvetlighting.com on this pole www.chauvetlighting.com

that makes a nice effect ……..the rest is up to you
DJFree 12:42 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
you could mount this www.chauvetlighting.com on this pole www.chauvetlighting.com

Yes I think that'll be pretty dope. Everyone loves the Gigbar and I'm very happy with the Spot Duo 150. Add ShowXpress and you'll be even more happy.
dj res-q 8:47 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Add ShowXpress[/quote
first time hearing about ShowXpress but i saw that it was a free download
DJFree 8:52 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:

Quote:

first time hearing about ShowXpress but i saw that it was a free download

Yea it's free to download and you can control most fixtures in 3D and purchase the box if you like it.
dj res-q 8:57 PM - 31 July, 2015
Yea it's free to download and you can control most fixtures in 3D and purchase the box if you like it.

DJFREE,What you think about the Motiondrape, wave 360 & the Geysers? Is this overkill
Joee 8:58 PM - 31 July, 2015
honestly i think

Quote:

than add some uplighting witch ever one fits your budget

www.chauvetlighting.com

www.chauvetlighting.com

www.chauvetlighting.com

that would be a very nice lighting show & is very portable
DJFree 9:00 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:

DJFREE,What you think about the Motiondrape, wave 360 & the Geysers? Is this overkill

Wave 360 you'll need fog....Motiondrape....NOPE....Geyser is pretty cool....but it's not a necessity....start with an all in one type of fixture....Chauvet 4bar Tri/Gigbar.....then build...IMO
dj res-q 9:03 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
honestly i think

Quote:

than add some uplighting witch ever one fits your budget

www.chauvetlighting.com

www.chauvetlighting.com

ok cool,trying to stay under 5,000

www.chauvetlighting.com

that would be a very nice lighting show & is very portable
dj res-q 9:03 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Wave 360 you'll need fog....Motiondrape....NOPE....Geyser is pretty cool....but it's not a necessity....start with an all in one type of fixture....Chauvet 4bar Tri/Gigbar.....then build...IMO

ok thanks,
Joee 9:22 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:

you good you can get a nice show cheaper

Intimidator™ Spot Duo 150 list $699

GigBAR™ IRC list $450

$1150

Freedom™ Par Quad-4 $330

X10 $3,300

for a total of $4,450

now these are list prices, evey single light can be had cheaper i just bought two gigbars for $340 each

the other uprights are even cheaper & you don''t need ten to start , you can get a really nice lighting system for around $3,000 maybe less
dj res-q 9:26 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

you good you can get a nice show cheaper

Intimidator™ Spot Duo 150 list $699

GigBAR™ IRC list $450

$1150

Freedom™ Par Quad-4 $330
X10 $3,300

for a total of $4,450

now these are list prices, evey single light can be had cheaper i just bought two gigbars for $340 each

the other uprights are even cheaper & you don''t need ten to start , you can get a really nice lighting system for around $3,000 maybe less

cool....so i only need to buy 1 gigbar and 1spot duo plus a few of the others & scrap the rest..thanks JOEE
Joee 9:33 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
cool....so i only need to buy 1 gigbar and 1spot duo plus a few of the others & scrap the rest..thanks JOEE

IMHO for a mobile dj it's the best way to go peep

the gigbar goes in this bag www.musictrends.com

the spot dual goes in here www.chauvetlighting.com

& the uplight go here www.chauvetlighting.com
Joee 9:58 PM - 31 July, 2015
@ res-q

I've never used these but have seen them in action once ,it's ten lights with a charging case & dmx interface

www.aliexpress.com
dj res-q 10:13 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
@ res-q

I've never used these but have seen them in action once ,it's ten lights with a charging case & dmx interface

www.aliexpress.com

i'll look into that also,i'm doing a Hollywood theme party in Miami on August 21st, trying to do a great light show.I had a revo 4 & a few laser but got rid of em because in Jax,fl they really never request lights
dj res-q 10:20 PM - 31 July, 2015
I leaning towards getting 2 chauvet spot duo, 2 chauvet gigbars & mount them on a truss.. the spot duo's on the end with the gigbars in the center, and 3 or 4 of the uplights
Joee 10:28 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
I leaning towards getting 2 chauvet spot duo, 2 chauvet gigbars & mount them on a truss.. the spot duo's on the end with the gigbars in the center, and 3 or 4 of the uplights

the gigbar comes with a stand & the spot dual has a round hole that will mount on the gigbar

peep the video @ 4:50 to see the gigbar in action Watchwww.youtube.com
dj res-q 10:43 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

the gigbar comes with a stand & the spot dual has a round hole that will mount on the gigbar

peep the video @ 4:50 to see the gigbar in action Watchwww.youtube.com

I just checked it out,1 might do the trick...i'm sold
Joee 10:56 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
I just checked it out,1 might do the trick...i'm sold

heres the spot duo 150 Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 10:57 PM - 31 July, 2015
the wave you were looking at also looks pretty cool Watchwww.youtube.com
dj res-q 11:04 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
the wave you were looking at also looks pretty cool Watchwww.youtube.com

i was looking at the wave 360 irc,didn't know if that would be a clutter of to many lights
Joee 11:12 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
clutter of to many lights

yea that can defiantly happen

the gigbar with the spot duo 150 (make sure it's the 150 cause they make another spot duo thats not as bright) with about 8 uplights

either quad 4, tri 6 or ez wedge will make a nice show with simple easy setup , when your ready to buy check with proaudiostar they usually give the best pricing
dj res-q 11:25 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
clutter of to many lights

yea that can defiantly happen

the gigbar with the spot duo 150 (make sure it's the 150 cause they make another spot duo thats not as bright) with about 8 uplights

either quad 4, tri 6 or ez wedge will make a nice show with simple easy setup , when your ready to buy check with proaudiostar they usually give the best pricing

will do.i'm ordering some time this week.i'll probably start with 1 of each & a few up lights.any suggestions for backdrops?
Joee 11:34 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
will do.i'm ordering some time this week.i'll probably start with 1 of each & a few up lights.any suggestions for backdrops?

i don't use one & am not familiar with them but chauvet makes one that seems pretty cool list is $600 www.chauvetlighting.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
dj res-q 11:36 PM - 31 July, 2015
i mention that in my first post but DJFREE gave the thumbs down on it. I thought it was cool too
Joee 11:42 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
i mention that in my first post but DJFREE gave the thumbs down on it. I thought it was cool too

seems to look pretty cool here Watchwww.youtube.com

i should also mention to get the full effect from these lights you will want to get a smoke or hazer machine……my preference is hazer

these are very cool also, but i think there better suited for when some one is walking out, think wrestler walking out to his theme music……lol
Joee 11:43 PM - 31 July, 2015
^ Chauvet geyser Rgb
dj res-q 11:47 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
^ Chauvet geyser Rgb

yep this is the setup i came up with on my own before making the post:

2 ADJ pocket spot twins
2 Chauvet geyser Rgb
2 Chauvet wave 360 irc

but i think i'm gonna switch out the 2 Chauvet waves for the gigbar
dj res-q 11:49 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
^ Chauvet geyser Rgb

yep this is the setup i came up with on my own before making the post:

2 ADJ pocket spot twins
2 Chauvet geyser Rgb
2 Chauvet wave 360 irc

but i think i'm gonna switch out the 2 Chauvet waves for the gigbar

and switch out the ADJ pocket spots for the spot duo 150
DJFree 11:52 PM - 31 July, 2015
@dj red q the backdrops are not versatile....borderline cheesy.....I always use pars or bars behind me or I put a t stand behind me to highlight the dance floor and my gear.
dj res-q 11:53 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
@dj red q the backdrops are not versatile....borderline cheesy.....I always use pars or bars behind me or I put a t stand behind me to highlight the dance floor and my gear.

i feel ya, i'm taking in all input & suggestions
Joee 11:56 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:

post that pic with the bar / spot duo / quad 4 so he can get a idea of what it looks like
dj res-q 11:58 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

post that pic with the bar / spot duo / quad 4 so he can get a idea of what it looks like

that would be very much appreciated....
DJFree 2:53 PM - 1 August, 2015
dj res-q 2:53 PM - 1 August, 2015
i decided to go with:

4 Chauvet freedom par hex 4
2 Chauvet geyser rgb
2 Chauvet spot duo 150
2 Chauvet gigbars
dj res-q 3:24 PM - 1 August, 2015

thats cool
Joee 3:45 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
4 Chauvet freedom par hex 4

good choice …..the hex is the best one in the freedom line it gives UV light (black light)

you didn't get the flacon? it allows you to control the light via your phone or tablet Watchwww.youtube.com

your set to go tho, you have a nice little show there when you can keep adding hex 4's the more you have the nicer the room will look, did you order yet?
Joee 3:47 PM - 1 August, 2015
a beter video explaining the flare con www.sweetwater.com
dj res-q 3:52 PM - 1 August, 2015
your set to go tho, you have a nice little show there when you can keep adding hex 4's the more you have the nicer the room will look, did you order yet?

no i didn't order yet,still doing some research on some other things.Biggest debate is to get 1 or 2 gigbars
Joee 3:59 PM - 1 August, 2015
if you do get one gigbar it seems like you will be able to mount 2 spot duo's on it like in this video www.chauvetlighting.com
dj res-q 4:02 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
if you do get one gigbar it seems like you will be able to mount 2 spot duo's on it like in this video www.chauvetlighting.com

i was thinking about mounting them on the pole between my ev 12p & 18
Joee 4:03 PM - 1 August, 2015
good ideia
dj res-q 4:04 PM - 1 August, 2015
i was thinking about mounting them on the pole between my ev 12p & 18 and put the gigbar in the center behind me
dj res-q 6:12 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
If you could afford it, I think 2 gigbars side by side would look really cool

i was thinking that too
lvmez 6:50 PM - 1 August, 2015
I rather I have 2 High end Moving heads, Pro wash lighting, 4-6 HEX uprights and DMX software.
Joee 6:57 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
I rather I have 2 High end Moving heads

defiantly a option in his budget, what do you think for moving heads $1,000 each?
dj res-q 7:03 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

defiantly a option in his budget, what do you think for moving heads $1,000 each?

whatever to have a good light show within the budget
DJFree 7:09 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Chauvet 355z's.......but he said high end......that's a different discussion.....high end is 2k +......overkill for most mobile dj's
Joee 7:10 PM - 1 August, 2015
moving head are on another level than the average dj lights, i just really like the ones i recommended

for me as a 90% mobile dj they work great, but a quality moving head show will be much better, peep a video with cheap moving heads Watchwww.youtube.com

i don't recommend inno pockets there not bright just posting it so you can see
Joee 7:21 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chauvet 355z's.......but he said high end......that's a different discussion.....high end is 2k +......overkill for most mobile dj's

got you
www.idjnow.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
lvmez 7:24 PM - 1 August, 2015
I would get a pair of these over duo spots.

www.chauvetlighting.com

www.musiciansfriend.com

A lot of new features that make them easy to use.

I would also get a pair of these (which I personally own)

www.adj.com
www.idjnow.com

You can cover an entire hall with these.

These lights on totems look VERY pro!!!
dj res-q 7:25 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
moving head are on another level than the average dj lights, i just really like the ones i recommended

for me as a 90% mobile dj they work great, but a quality moving head show will be much better, peep a video with cheap moving heads Watchwww.youtube.com

i don't recommend inno pockets there not bright just posting it so you can see

yeah i can see the difference
lvmez 7:26 PM - 1 August, 2015
The 355Z IRC's are the obvious choice, they are great but getting the 255IRC you will be able buy other lights.

The bars you guys are talking about are excellent and look very nice but they are not for every event. Spend once, cry once.
Joee 7:28 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
The bars you guys are talking about are excellent and look very nice but they are not for every even

true, there for your average maybe 200 person party
lvmez 7:29 PM - 1 August, 2015
Here is what I use. This video is when I purchased the floods and truss. I was testing them out in my basement at the time.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I know use DMX software with these lights.
dj res-q 7:29 PM - 1 August, 2015
Chauvet 355z's seem brighter but thats the only difference really noticable to me
lvmez 7:30 PM - 1 August, 2015
That's why I like the 255's.
DJFree 7:36 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
Chauvet 355z's seem brighter but thats the only difference really noticable to me

Lol that's the most important thing....I had the Intimidator 250's......I always wanted the 350's.....now I have 355's and I'm very comfortable.....I love seeing people squint their eyes making me dial them down....
Joee 7:37 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
Here is what I use. This video is when I purchased the floods and truss. I was testing them out in my basement at the time.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I know use DMX software with these lights.

you know what i must agree with you here, two of those lights two moving heads & a bunch of uprights around the room would look killer

what do you think about these? any experience with them? www.aliexpress.com
lvmez 7:41 PM - 1 August, 2015
Not bad Joee. I rather get brand name but those look legit.

I also own 8 ADJ DOTZ Pars and 2 ADJ COB UV Cannons (100W each).

I can fill any room size.
Joee 7:44 PM - 1 August, 2015
i was curious if you've ever used or seen them being used, I've seen them in action once there bright as hell battery powered dmx with a charging case & dmx transmitter for $1,700 basically $170 a light

but there are china lights, but honestly all the lights we use wether adj or chauvet are made in china aren't they?
lvmez 7:52 PM - 1 August, 2015
True. I think some DJ's on DJChat use them are very happy.
DJ Reflex 11:55 PM - 2 August, 2015
I've had the ADJ Inno Roll LED barrel rollers for a couple years now and they are still my favorite fixture. This promo video sold me on them...
Watchwww.youtube.com
dj res-q 2:42 AM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
I've had the ADJ Inno Roll LED barrel rollers for a couple years now and they are still my favorite fixture. This promo video sold me on them...
Watchwww.youtube.com

i like those
dj res-q 3:51 AM - 3 August, 2015
It seems like Chauet lighting is a lot brighter than ADJ
DJFree 11:39 AM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

i like those

I've had those.....I liked them......but they have some weight to them.....and I like moving heads better.
DJ GaFFle 12:37 PM - 3 August, 2015
Seems like the best "DJ" moving head is the Chauvet Intimadator 355Z IRC. Pricing and features are great for those...
Taipanic 3:05 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Seems like the best "DJ" moving head is the Chauvet Intimadator 355Z IRC. Pricing and features are great for those...

I'd have to agree, until moving up to the Martin, Clay Paky, High End Systems level.
DJ GaFFle 3:51 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I'd have to agree, until moving up to the Martin, Clay Paky, High End Systems level.

Correct... but those are price prohibitive to most of us at $2500+ each. Those 355Z's are less than a grand each. Some places sell them in the $800'ish range.
DJ GaFFle 3:32 PM - 5 August, 2015
Friends, don't let friend buy junk:

www.ebay.com
^^^ THIS ^^^ is the reason I try to stay away from the Swarm, Jelly, Quad, Roto and Revo-type fixtures.
Joee 3:34 PM - 5 August, 2015
Quote:
Friends, don't let friend buy junk:

www.ebay.com
^^^ THIS ^^^ is the reason I try to stay away from the Swarm, Jelly, Quad, Roto and Revo-type fixtures.

what you talkin that was hot back in 1980

:p
DJ GaFFle 3:35 PM - 5 August, 2015
LoL
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:51 PM - 5 August, 2015
Guy posting that must be on drugs!
80s for sure!
Taipanic 5:03 PM - 5 August, 2015
Hey! You can have that paid off after only 4 wedding dances!
Joee 5:04 PM - 5 August, 2015
Quote:
Hey! You can have that paid off after only 4 wedding dances!

& it's a

"COMPLETE TURNKEY DJ EQUIPMENT PACKAGE."
DJ Guayo 2:12 AM - 6 August, 2015
I was peeping the chauvet intimidator 355z. I've also looked chauvet 255 irc. The one thing I like about the 255 over the 355 is totem mode. Where it keeps the lights on the dance floor for you. But at the same time will probably have them dmxed anyway.
DJ Guayo 2:31 AM - 6 August, 2015
The 355 has zooming capabilities
DJFree 2:34 AM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
The 355 has zooming capabilities

Damn forgot about this.....the motorized zoom is legit!
Aster 12:51 PM - 8 August, 2015
Since I used all of the lights you mentiioned, here is my opinion based on the customer feedback I got:

- Chuavet intimdator wave 360 (the beams are very and doesn't shows unless you have a fog)
I really does not recommen you 4 in 1 light with 12w only light, instead --> get the 60w chauvet intimidator 255 IRC (looks more professional and you can make a custom gobo.

- Chuavet Geyser (I highly recommended this fog machine) left and right will make a nice effect.

- ADJ Inno Spot (useless) at the near future you will sell it to upgrade (better the 255 IRC)

- Chauvet Motion Drape (I recommended as a DJ back drop) you can hide all your wires behind it and create a nice and neat setup.

Get chauvet Swarm FX5 as a center piece for a good coverage, and you will have a very nice setup (2 Spot 255 irc, swarm fx5, 2 geyser and 1 motion drape) will need to add lighting stand (3x2m) and DJ table as well.
lvmez 6:53 PM - 9 August, 2015
These look very cool. Might be my next purchase.

Watchwww.youtube.com

If anyone goes to the Expo, let me know what you guys think of these.
Joee 7:06 PM - 9 August, 2015
i'll be there ……will do
DJFree 1:25 PM - 20 August, 2015
I'm really feeling the Chauvet Slimbeam's!
instagram.com
DJ GaFFle 7:13 PM - 20 August, 2015
Quote:
instagram.com

I like the look but they don't seem that bright. Did you find them adequate or will a Chinese equivalent blow it out the water?
DJFree 7:19 PM - 20 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
instagram.com

I like the look but they don't seem that bright. Did you find them adequate or will a Chinese equivalent blow it out the water?

The brightness is pretty good...this was a completely dark room which is pretty big...I used them at home in daylight and they did well....keep in mind these are accent lights...I know Ape Lights has some similar (the originator from my understanding) but they're more expensive. On this wall I would probably use 4 uplights (265 a piece) but instead 2 Slim Beams (200 a piece) can do the job.
Joee 7:22 PM - 20 August, 2015
i say a video were the guy used these light and did two colors per fixture, it looked really nice
Joee 7:24 PM - 20 August, 2015
this is pretty hot Watchwww.youtube.com do these come in battery powered wireless?
DJFree 7:25 PM - 20 August, 2015
Quote:
this is pretty hot Watchwww.youtube.com do these come in battery powered wireless?

No battery powered ones YET. That's why I only purchased two. I seen this video too. Very impressive!
DJFree 7:25 PM - 20 August, 2015
Joee 7:37 PM - 20 August, 2015
next year will be the battery powered models ……just when you think you have all the lights you want…….they make something else……haha
DJFree 7:37 PM - 20 August, 2015
Quote:
next year will be the battery powered models ……just when you think you have all the lights you want…….they make something else……haha

You're 100% right! Smh
Joee 7:40 PM - 20 August, 2015
at least this light has that wow factor……once they see it you say this is part of my advanced lighting show

witch has added cost if you would like to upgrade from the basic lighting show
Joee 2:56 PM - 21 August, 2015
looking for affordable battery powered uplighting? serato.com
Joee 3:20 PM - 21 August, 2015
^^ wrong link ..this would be the correct one, i put the first one in the wrong place…haha

---> serato.com