DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sound Upgrade in a Lifestyle Centre

Arjun B 11:46 PM - 30 July, 2015
Hey guys,
I'm helping one of my good friends upgrade his sound system inside his lifestyle gym centres. It's about 20' x 50'. They always play high energy music (house, trance, chill, dubstep etc).
Right now he's using Yorkville YX15C's (Powered), but they are junk, and don't have enough power. He wants more power in the sound, but also more speakers for even coverage.

I offered to help him to upgrade the sound system. I was thinking of the following options.

Subs:
Yorkville PSA2s, Yorkville Ls720p, EV EKX15sp, any other 15" sub.
Tops:
EV ZLX12p, EV EKX12p, Yamaha DXR10's, Yorkville NX55p, or any other 10" / 12" speaker.

I was thinking 4 tops and 2 subs will be more than enough in his gym, giving him headroom for days. He has money to spend, but again wants to save money (who doesn't).

What do you guys think will be the best combination to use. It will be permanently installed, and I'm most likely going to wall mount the speakers up high. Any other speakers that are worth looking at? Keep in mind that I am in Canada, and so stuff like RCF or FBT etc isn't an option.
Arjun B 4:22 AM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
I would probably go for the Yorkville LS801P subs as they have a monstrous amount of power and are very easy to operate.

Yeah I know about the LS801p, I own 2 myself ahah, but theyre a tremendous overkill for this application. It's not a very big space keep in mind and they have buildings on either side. I'll link pictures in a little bit. Hes willing to spend money, but not where it's not needed. This isn't a professional sound application, its a lifestyle / gym centre so they don't need much sound as the max capacity there is about 75 people. 18" subs would simply be overkill, which is why I opted for all the 15" subs. I'm really interested in the DXR10's instead of the 12s.
Arjun B 4:27 AM - 31 July, 2015
Joee 12:29 PM - 31 July, 2015
x2

yamaha dxr12 / yorkvilie ls801p

yorks newer speaker? yorkville.com
Joee 12:34 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I would probably go for the Yorkville LS801P subs as they have a monstrous amount of power and are very easy to operate.

Yeah I know about the LS801p, I own 2 myself ahah, but theyre a tremendous overkill for this application. It's not a very big space keep in mind and they have buildings on either side. I'll link pictures in a little bit. Hes willing to spend money, but not where it's not needed. This isn't a professional sound application, its a lifestyle / gym centre so they don't need much sound as the max capacity there is about 75 people. 18" subs would simply be overkill, which is why I opted for all the 15" subs. I'm really interested in the DXR10's instead of the 12s.

ahhh, i see well this system x2 should be perfect & isn't too expensive

usa.yamaha.com

usa.yamaha.com

or you can go smaller with the dxs12 & pair it with the dxr8/dxr10

than theres

yorkville.com

yorkville.com

yorkville.com
Taipanic 2:37 PM - 31 July, 2015
I'd just go with the ETX12 tops and 15 subs and call it a day. Good sound & quality, plenty of headroom, DSP protection. Plus good usability and resale value if he ever closes the gym.
Joee 2:43 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
I'd just go with the ETX12 tops and 15 subs and call it a day. Good sound & quality, plenty of headroom, DSP protection. Plus good usability and resale value if he ever closes the gym.

good ideal also…..id say even the ekx line would be good enough
Taipanic 5:30 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed.
Arjun B 7:47 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed.

As I said, the Ls801p is too much overkill... I know that for a fact because I own 2 myself. The space is too small.
I think I might just go with the EKX line. Plenty of power, nice subs, good price and great resale value. They seem perfect for this kind of installation. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Taipanic 7:54 PM - 31 July, 2015
There's also a lot of nice install stuff by EV, Klipsch, etc... if he wanted to go that route. Even 2-4 wall mounted ZXa1s with a couple of ZXa1 subs would rock the place and be a lot more out of the way. I can hear my ZXa1 sub two houses down from my studio room with all doors and windows shut.
577er 10:53 PM - 31 July, 2015
For a quality install I'd go with the the following, keeping in mind the the system SHOULD be mono. That room holds about 30-50 people max. No need to go nuclear with the Yorkville subs.

(2 to 4) QSC AD-S10T speakers.
1 Peavey PV 118D self powered sub.

Amp rack with the following
-RANE MLM82S - plenty of inputs for headset mics and ipods, internet radio... (output channel 1 the tops, output 2 to the sub.
-QSC GXD4 amp.

For the cheapest "instal" possible just get two Peavey PR15p and leave them on the floor at either side of the room and run an XLR cable between em.
577er 2:19 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
@577er The words quality and PV118D do not go together. That line of speakers is absolute garbage. I own 2 of the passive 15"s and they sound like crap. Super muddy and distorted and can't reach any decent output level without the lows beaking up awfully. The PR series is even worse in the clarity department.
The dude has money. If he wants to go the simplest route possible, he should get 2 Yamaha DXR15s and something like a Yamaha MG10 mixer.

I'm fully aware of the quality level of the Peavy sub I recommended but if you bothered look at the photos you can see that the room is TINY and I quote "He has money to spend, but again wants to save money (who doesn't)." The "clarity" will be more than present in the QSC tops. So why buy more sub than you need? That's not exactually showing business acumen. Also a Yamaha mg10 mixer is a not going to sound better than a Rane so what's up with your quality argument? Not to mention that adding all of the functionality of a line mixer like the mg10 will almost always confuse the end users who are not DJs or audio people.
Joee 6:34 PM - 1 August, 2015
Quote:
I recommended the DXR15s with the MG10 for several reasons. First of all, have a system that is all one brand can help you resell it. Also, I own the MG10 as well as DBR15s (the DXR little brothers), and can say that they work fantastic. Lastly, the MG10 is not that hard to use, and by paintimg the master knob to be neon or something, all anyone has to do is turn that one very distinct knob up or down.

good option easy setup……easy to use who doesn't know how to work power & volume? ,i would change the mixer to a MG06

smaller & may be easier for a novice to use usa.yamaha.com
577er 7:08 PM - 1 August, 2015
I think you guys are underestimating peoples ability to screw things up re: mixers. Most people are utterly hopeless.

Ceiling mounting selfpowered speakers requires power on the ceiling, or extension cords which is ugly. Unpowered is way more discreet, Many installation speakers come with mounts which will save you a lot of time and money. No one is saying the Yamaha selfpowered stuff isn't great at what it's designed for but its not the ideal installation speaker. And you want a sub on the floor where people can feel it rather than some 15"s cranking overhead.