Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

midi clock sync

Special ed 4:01 PM - 3 July, 2015
hi i was wondering if theres any chance later in and update if its possible to add a midi clock sync feature in serato dj. because i would like to add and external drum machine like the roland tr-8 or even a daw software like ableton. just a suggestion thanks
stratoferris 12:53 AM - 4 July, 2015
I second this option to be added....and has been asked to be added many times before. This feature is the only thing that keeps me going back to use TRAKTOR. We need Midi Clock option to sync things like Ableton and Midi hardware. I have a Microbrute synth and Trigger Finger Pro that i would like to incorporate into my sets. With more and more Djs adding live performance remixing it is absolutely imperative to have this feature added as soon as possible.
Code:E 7:22 PM - 5 July, 2015
Please add MID clock and SMPTE
lolsawe 5:20 PM - 6 July, 2015
yeah we need MIDI clock :)
mixjockey 8:07 PM - 7 August, 2015
To sync Serato DJ with ableton, you could take a Rane64 or 62 wich have both internal midi clock generators and can both receive midi clock from serato over usb and then send midi clock back over usb to the same or another computer with any DAW.
From there, you could try to send a midi clock signal out, over separate midi interface, to any external gear, if needed.
This is the only solution I have come along so far.

dj.rane.com
Code:E 9:39 PM - 7 August, 2015
The problem is MIDI Sucks. We want something Far more precise. Now I here's a question.
Mix Emergency found a way to link to the audio files in Serato DJ so it can play the videos i time. Could that same single be translated into info that a MAX for LIVE plugin could read then use that to sync ableton and Serato DJ?
mixjockey 7:08 PM - 8 August, 2015
Midi may suck, but it is standard, and it works.
And it is way more precise and comfortable than doing everything manually,
which may also work in the end.
I have bought a rane 64 because I really enjoy this midi clock feature.
And it has everything that I ever wanted.

But what I really do not understand is, If Rane 62/64 can read a midi clock from serato DJ, where does the signal actually come from?
First I thought the mixer would generate it, but obviously there are four options from which you can decide: Whether you want to receive midi clock over "USB-A" / "USB-B" / "SeratoDJ" or "Tap manually".
So Serato seems to produce some sort of clock, which only Rane Mixers can read !?
If Rane could, Max for Live should indeed also be able to do so.
I think there is more kind of enterprise-politics behind this request, than we believe at this moment...
I assume at least that they are planning something, but do not want to talk about, as it always was...
Code:E 9:23 PM - 8 August, 2015
Quote:
Midi may suck, but it is standard, and it works.

Standard yes. Works, that is all in the interpretation. I have tried MIDI sync before and it's actuate enough for syncing samples to tracks. You almost always need to pitch bend it.
Quote:
And it is way more precise and comfortable than doing everything manually,

I disagree completely. Even when i used the bridge I still never used the sync cause it was never anywhere near close enough. It was always much easier to load the ableton control signal into a 3rd deck and mix it manually.
Quote:
First I thought the mixer would generate it, but obviously there are four options from which you can decide: Whether you want to receive midi clock over "USB-A" / "USB-B" / "SeratoDJ" or "Tap manually".

Thats a very good question I would like to know too.
Code:E 9:23 PM - 8 August, 2015
Quote:
I assume at least that they are planning something, but do not want to talk about, as it always was...

+1
Special ed 4:15 AM - 9 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

+1
Tibor_DX 10:19 AM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
I second this option to be added....and has been asked to be added many times before. This feature is the only thing that keeps me going back to use TRAKTOR.

Exactly, it's been requested on NUMEROUS occasions.
Aside some options for input, it's the one thing that Serato's lacking.

+1 from me
Bosky 3:06 PM - 17 February, 2016
Looking to get Reaktor 6 with the intention of playing my own productions/ extra drum hits etc. during sets, so I would also need a midi clock out.

I know Serato have mentioned in the past that this is something they are looking into.

Any idea of a time scale from any of the Serato guys?
J ROAM 10:53 PM - 8 May, 2016
+1 for MIDI I/O on Serato DJ
Code:E 4:33 AM - 9 May, 2016
Its already coming Have you filled out the survey?
J ROAM 2:55 PM - 9 May, 2016
That's great! No, where can I find this survey you speak of?
Code:E 12:10 AM - 10 May, 2016
J ROAM 3:43 AM - 10 May, 2016
great thread but couldn't find any survey
Code:E 3:52 AM - 10 May, 2016
Quote:
great thread but couldn't find any survey

Hi Pierre,

It's a high priority for us to work on this, we are collecting feedback about how our DJs want to use the feature right now, if you've got the time please help us out by filling in this survey: www.surveymonkey.com

Thanks!
Special ed 9:17 PM - 6 September, 2016
sera.to They listened thanks guys
Tibor_DX 9:20 AM - 7 September, 2016
Quote:

Sooo the solution is going to be exclusively hardware?
Not sure how to feel about this
AKIEM 6:32 PM - 7 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

If it is - thats a little ridiculous. Its ok to break out to hardware, but if we still could not midi clock sync to other software pfhseet...
(it would be kinda silly to link back into the computer just to link software)
Tibor_DX 8:09 AM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If it is - thats a little ridiculous. Its ok to break out to hardware, but if we still could not midi clock sync to other software pfhseet...
(it would be kinda silly to link back into the computer just to link software)

Exactly x)
Still keeping my hopes up for a complete package.. guess we'll know soon, 19 hours to go!
dibb 6:06 PM - 8 September, 2016
I've posted my guess over at djworx: djworx.com

Sequencer decks in SDJ and a Roland DJ-like Aira mixer that acts as a "bridge" between SDJ and the Aira hardware line.

Wouldn't bet any money on Midi, Aira Link support? Yes.
Code:E 11:01 PM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:
I've posted my guess over at djworx: djworx.com

Sequencer decks in SDJ and a Roland DJ-like Aira mixer that acts as a "bridge" between SDJ and the Aira hardware line.

Wouldn't bet any money on Midi, Aira Link support? Yes.

This is excatly whats coming for sure.
dibb 5:02 AM - 9 September, 2016
well the DJ-808 also got MIDI.. djtechtools.com
Tibor_DX 11:26 AM - 9 September, 2016
aaand it's what.. nobody's been waiting for lol.

That midi-connectivity better get's integrated into 2.0 dang it!
deuceleader 2:11 PM - 27 February, 2018
So can you do midi time code out in serato with out getting the tr 202 or tr 505 . or is that the only way to sync to external midi gear (tr8 or korg electribe)
Mutis Mayfield 12:35 PM - 22 March, 2018
I’ve posted a poor’s man workaround some time ago involving
Korg volca of your choice (you need to modified it with midi out but it’s trivial and plenty of diy kits available)
korg sync signal loaded into your sampler/deck as old the bridge file.

That solution was delireverd before dj808 release and after understand the fact Serato isn’t going to add midi clock into Sdj after the bridge fail.

The learnt lesson is:
Syncing protocols need to be ubiquitous (like link or osc)
Midi clock needs to be HARDWARE to be reliable.

I told you (the forum) so but instead try to understand (and learn) someone said I was on koolaid or similar. As I promised I left the forum and just came sometimes to see how is going and how wrong I was... not. :V

Serato still has a problem (different my original prediction but in the same way).
They ditched turntablism with SSL and users are still trying to go back... but it’s not gonna happen even with twelves... shame but truth.
stratoferris 1:08 PM - 22 March, 2018
Why don’t you just use the Korg Sync app? SyncKontrol by KORG INC. It has Ableton link to Midi clock ....you don’t have to own Ableton Live to use Link.
AKIEM 4:10 PM - 22 March, 2018
Quote:
I’ve posted a poor’s man workaround some time ago involving
Korg volca of your choice (you need to modified it with midi out but it’s trivial and plenty of diy kits available)
korg sync signal loaded into your sampler/deck as old the bridge file.

That solution was delireverd before dj808 release and after understand the fact Serato isn’t going to add midi clock into Sdj after the bridge fail.

The learnt lesson is:
Syncing protocols need to be ubiquitous (like link or osc)
Midi clock needs to be HARDWARE to be reliable.

I told you (the forum) so but instead try to understand (and learn) someone said I was on koolaid or similar. As I promised I left the forum and just came sometimes to see how is going and how wrong I was... not. :V

Serato still has a problem (different my original prediction but in the same way).
They ditched turntablism with SSL and users are still trying to go back... but it’s not gonna happen even with twelves... shame but truth.

exactly

I might try the volcano hack.... still doubt the work flow...
Mutis Mayfield 10:09 AM - 25 March, 2018
Maybe not 100% features for you, mate. I remember read your wishlist and contributions and also hard workflow ttablism based but for those users who want midi clock and sync between apps the volca approach is more or less what RolandXSerato done.

You have the korg signal synced in any deck/sampler in SDJ and one dedicated audio output to volca sync input. Add midi out (vulcano or diy since it’s straightforward) and you will have the desired midi clock.
Possible drawbacks:
Maybe you will need few different recorded signals for different bpms since I don’t know if stretching it via software will work properly (but it should).
That deck/sampler should be the Master or Master synced flowing all the time you need external hardware synced.
Idk if volca can send start/stop and how it works related to korg sync protocol so your start/stop button is play/stop that deck. No extra midi messagging send so maybe it will need extra work for certain setups and workflows.

It will be require further research to determine how roland dj gear work internally and serato clocking (engage/disengage) but it seems clear to me it’s not pointed to turntable being Master. To calculate bpm (and clock) from turntable manuevers it will require a beat detector (algorythm) and precise skill to make it work (since if you drift how that algorythm will understand the beat pattern?) and that’s out of the scope for any djing software. It seems turntables (as pair) are ditched from the equation and beatjuggling a echo of time so it’s easier to implement somekind of metronome and record whatever juggling to THAT clock (Flip and newer Pioneer scratch presets seems pointing a possibility to that) then bring somekind of Flip/scratch recorder edition tool and you have Mixtape coming back...

In the end ttablism techniques born as misuse of record player and the knowledge/maths rear that “notation” barely used by most users in their daily use... so with that in mind is easy to foresee how improvements are scheduled and delivered... and which are ditched due comercial interests. For Sersto Midi clock is irrelevant if you don’t use groovebox as Master and if you do it then buy a Serato product to gain access to it.
AKIEM 4:26 PM - 25 March, 2018
Im not in front of my decks atm, but I will look into it. But with my Rane57mkii I dont see how I would get a separate click track from serato SP8 to my Volcas. Aside from SP8 not syncing to decks (which Ive been suggesting since it was in beta)

serato should just fix this
Mutis Mayfield 6:58 PM - 25 March, 2018
I was talking by memory so if SP8 doesn’t sync with decks you will need to put that sync signal in one of the decks. PITA for sure all of this, mate...