Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Why can't we get an improved analysis engine?

Deejae Smooth 11:24 PM - 30 June, 2015
1.7.6 just came out and after analyzing a few new files, it still has the same problem that every other version before has had.

Some of the most basic, four on the floor drum patterns throw it for it a loop and cause me to have to spend time correcting the mistakes made by the software after the analysis.

I just don't get it.
Denne 6:44 AM - 1 July, 2015
Yeah the analysis engine could be better, agreed.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:47 PM - 1 July, 2015
Hey man,

We're working on this currently for an upcoming release. Can you let us know any particular examples of tracks that are getting analysed particularly badly? It'll help us with our improvement work.

Sam.
Deejae Smooth 12:07 AM - 2 July, 2015
Pitbull Calle Ocho is probably a good example.

I'll post more as I think of them.

This has been a problem for so long that you guys had to have run across this by now if you have an working Djs on staff..
Deejae Smooth 12:11 AM - 2 July, 2015
Transition tracks, that start off at one tempo and end at another. It never gets those right.

My biggest suggestion and the way I would code for this problem: Analyze the first 4 bars of the song, isolate only the kick drum and set the tracks grid off of that and call it a day.
Joe Fresh 12:42 AM - 2 July, 2015
I often have issues with house/EDM tracks that have a triplet rhythm to them. The BPM is 128, but Serato analyzes and finds a BPM in the 95-98 range.

An example is the new track from Elephante ft. Rumors "I Want You". Its BPM is 128, but Serato thinks it's 96. Here's the track - soundcloud.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:25 AM - 2 July, 2015
Thanks for the feedback guys. We're making some changes and doing work to help with tracks like this which should be rolling out in the near future. This all helps :)

Sam.
Dj Wunder 1:25 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Hey man,

We're working on this currently for an upcoming release. Can you let us know any particular examples of tracks that are getting analysed particularly badly? It'll help us with our improvement work.

Sam.

The 1st grid maker almost always gets set at the first "sound" in the song, no matter how faint or insignificant it may be, even if it is immediately followed by a nice fat kick on the 1.
Deejae Smooth 2:07 AM - 2 July, 2015
Yeah first sound isn't always helpful. Drums. It should be looking for a kick or hi hat for the first down beat.

Another good example is Nicola Fasano Feat Pitbull Oye Baby.
Watchwww.youtube.com

Serato thinks it's 99bpm...
DJ Fluke 613 2:32 AM - 2 July, 2015
Funny how you guys mention Pitbull. I have the same issue with his I know you want me track.
Denne 5:51 AM - 2 July, 2015
Not 100% sure if I remember correctly but I think I had problems with the following Songs:

David Guetta feat. Sam Martin - Lovers On The Sun (Original Mix)
DVBBS & Borgeous - Tsunami (Original Mix)
W&W - Rave after Rave (Original Mix)
W&W - Thunder (Original Mix)
BleedR 11:02 AM - 2 July, 2015
Crooklyn Clan - Oh No (Dirty)
PopRoXxX 5:49 PM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Transition tracks, that start off at one tempo and end at another. It never gets those right.

My biggest suggestion and the way I would code for this problem: Analyze the first 4 bars of the song, isolate only the kick drum and set the tracks grid off of that and call it a day.

Transition tracks are actually better when you grid them yourself. Just take the time and you'll see. All my transition tracks are on point since I started doing it. You can even watch the BPM change during the actual transition.
bigd801 10:35 AM - 3 July, 2015
I'm having a similar issue. Analyzer is not, or me, not giving me the key all the time. It's a little weird old tracks have it, new ones dont. Not to be too picky, all of the FX are beat grid dependent. So if that's case, this over sight should have been addressed awhile ago. An occasional song, ok fine fiddle with and get it done; but I'm finding a bunch of songs that need to be fixed.

Thanks for your time,
D
Deejae Smooth 3:46 PM - 3 July, 2015
The beat warp markers for Transition tracks certainly make it easier to work with those but the point of my post is that if the software could actually track the kick drum, it would know where to place the markers. ;)
Deejae Smooth 4:26 PM - 3 July, 2015
"The 1st grid maker almost always gets set at the first "sound" in the song"

Another reason this is absolutely the wrong way to do it. For a LOT of video remixes, the "remixer" feels the need to put some stupid a$$ commercial at the front of the video so we know for sure who did the remix (like the crowd hearing it will know or care)...

So the software sets the first marker at the beginning of this commercial instead of the actual first kick drum of the track.

If Serato has any working Dj's on staff, that should have run across these problems by now...
Deejae Smooth 4:43 PM - 3 July, 2015
PPK - Resurrection.

Literally nothing but a kick and high hat yet the software thinks it's 70 instead of 140.
938MyDJ 6:37 PM - 3 July, 2015
If you will analyze all the files listed on this thread within DJay 2 Ipad Version, you will be surprised with the results. Even on tracks played by a live drummer with slight changes of tempo, you will still see the gridlines aligned on the downbeats. DJay 2 seem to adjust the lines automatically from the way I see it. The Pro Version for Mac computers might be the same or even better.

Just saying...

I am very used to beatgridding in SDJ and I love the workflow of it.
But just like everybody else, I believe it needs improvements to minimize the manual labor of beatgridding at least even just for the newly release tracks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:41 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
PPK - Resurrection.

Literally nothing but a kick and high hat yet the software thinks it's 70 instead of 140.

This is because you've not set your range correctly. If you set the range 78 - 155 it should analyze these tracks as 140 not 70.

sam.
slimmjimm 3:42 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Pitbull Calle Ocho is probably a good example.

This was the first thing I thought of.
the lush 10:09 AM - 4 July, 2015
Why do we even have to set a BPM range? Even free software like Mixxx doesn't have that & gets almost 100% of 4/4 beat grids correct & also gets about 95% of hip hop & breakbeats spot on too.

If they can do it for free...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:21 PM - 4 July, 2015
It's a feature so you can choose the tempo range you want your tracks to sit in. If you like to mix between 60 BPM rap songs and 120 club tracks, you might want to set your range higher so all your music is analysed at 120 rather than having to jump between these half/double tempos in your library.

It shouldn't be that hard to just choose your range though depending on the music you're analysing :)

sam.
nik39 11:50 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
It's a feature so you can choose the tempo range you want your tracks to sit in. If you like to mix between 60 BPM rap songs and 120 club tracks, you might want to set your range higher so all your music is analysed at 120 rather than having to jump between these half/double tempos in your library.

It shouldn't be that hard to just choose your range though depending on the music you're analysing :)

sam.

It's not always that easy. There are hiphop tracks at 50bpm, then tracks at 100bpm up to.. Almost 150bpm.

If I were going to narrow down and set ranges specifically for groups of tracks... Then what's the point of auto Bpm?

It would be nice if there was an automated way. Maybe a serato cloud intelligence? :)
the lush 12:12 AM - 5 July, 2015
I understand the basis of why but in a more practical sense why not just have open parameters then we can sort them out? As above I have chill records around 55 BPM, club tunes around 125-130 & newer hip hop at 140 so no parameters would be ideal for my library. Or even a really wide option like 30-180 BPM if there actually has to be one so it catches everything.

I'm a fully vinyl DJ until recently & whilst I still don't use sync or really even look at the beatgrids, I've always had BPM labels & it's quicker to count it manually than reset it for hip hop/breaks.
Deejae Smooth 7:44 PM - 5 July, 2015
I don't want to have to set a range for each track that I have to analyze.

I do them in batches and have the range drop down set to None because I'm expecting the software to figure it out.

Sorry but to me, this is still back to the problem of the software not detecting the drums properly. If it could do that, it'd be able to tell the bpm accurately.
DJ Baby Boy 10:56 AM - 6 July, 2015
I have had issues with quite a bit of tracks that are 70BPM reading as 93BPM after being analyzed ... Feeling Myself by Beyonce & Nicki is one that I can think of off the top of my head as it was the most recent but there have been numorus others as well also Cooler Than Me - Mike Posner always shows up as 97 instead of 130 ... In regards to the "ranges" one thing I did to help with the issue of a 60 being analyzed at 120 and vice versa is when I add tracks to my library and edit the tags accordingly I use the Composer tag and put Lower BPM there so after I'm done editing tags and updated all the id3 tags I can go back type in Lower BPM in the search bar and sort by BPM and the tracks that are obviously wrong I select all of them set the range and then analyze those again by themselves ... That system has worked really well for me ... I do the same with Higher BPM for DNB and Trance as well ... Hopefully that'll help some of you
DjBliZz 5:31 PM - 6 July, 2015
Yeah every once in a while a 128ish BPM track gets analyzed as 98 BPM. It's weird but that's why you must always trust your ears before technology when beatmatching.

As for the complaints about the 70 vs 140, that's just something you have to decide to do for yourself. Whatever preference you like. 70 and 140 is really the same thing. I keep my range at 68 - 135. For those tracks that are 136 - 145, all I do is click on the BPM in the library and press alt + up so it goes from 70 to 140 quickly and easy.

For those talking about beat grids/beat warp markes for transition tracks, could you please explain this for me or point me in the right direction. I have been angry with transition tracks in serato for years and have only ever been told by serato staff on here that there is simply nothing they can do about it. It sounds like you guys have figured out how to make SDJ show the end BPM of a transition track or actually show it changing BPMs. I need to know how to make this possible. Almost every set I play when using a transition, I forget that SDJ hasn't detected the BPM change and when I activate an effect it is set to the starting BPM. My work around (when I remember) is to throw the transition track playing into Prepare, change the BPM to what it is at the end based on how it has been labeled, and then change it back to the starting BPM after I mix out of it. I don't like doing that, so if there is a way to not do it this way, as I am assuming from a couple posts here, please let me know.
PopRoXxX 7:27 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
As for the complaints about the 70 vs 140, that's just something you have to decide to do for yourself. Whatever preference you like. 70 and 140 is really the same thing. I keep my range at 68 - 135. For those tracks that are 136 - 145, all I do is click on the BPM in the library and press alt + up so it goes from 70 to 140 quickly and easy.

This +1

Quote:
For those talking about beat grids/beat warp markes for transition tracks, could you please explain this for me or point me in the right direction. I have been angry with transition tracks in serato for years and have only ever been told by serato staff on here that there is simply nothing they can do about it. It sounds like you guys have figured out how to make SDJ show the end BPM of a transition track or actually show it changing BPMs. I need to know how to make this possible. Almost every set I play when using a transition, I forget that SDJ hasn't detected the BPM change and when I activate an effect it is set to the starting BPM. My work around (when I remember) is to throw the transition track playing into Prepare, change the BPM to what it is at the end based on how it has been labeled, and then change it back to the starting BPM after I mix out of it. I don't like doing that, so if there is a way to not do it this way, as I am assuming from a couple posts here, please let me know.

1) Go into Edit Beat Grid mode on SDJ
2) Make sure the beginning of the track's beat grid is set as it should be BPM wise
3) Set a red 'set' marker on the measure before the transition starts
4) Set a red 'set' marker on the measure that the transition starts on
5A) Set a red 'set' marker at the end of the transition where the new BPM starts
- OR -
5B) Set a red 'set' marker for every measure of the transition up until the new BPM starts
6) Adjust beat grid accordingly after you set the last red 'set' marker for the new BPM to make sure the rest of the track is perfect.

I do step 5B, that's why I put the "or" in there. And it's actually really easy if you just let the song play and hit the keyboard shortcut "x" for every measure as it plays. I did step 5A for a long time until I noticed (and liked) seeing the BPM change for every measure of the transition on SDJ and my gear. So I took that route in the end. Loops, loop rolls, FX, etc will all be spot on after this :)
DjBliZz 7:56 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

This +1

Quote:

2) Make sure the beginning of the track's beat grid is set as it should be BPM wise
5A) Set a red 'set' marker at the end of the transition where the new BPM starts
- OR -
5B) Set a red 'set' marker for every measure of the transition up until the new BPM starts
6) Adjust beat grid accordingly after you set the last red 'set' marker for the new BPM to make sure the rest of the track is perfect.

I do step 5B, that's why I put the "or" in there. And it's actually really easy if you just let the song play and hit the keyboard shortcut "x" for every measure as it plays. I did step 5A for a long time until I noticed (and liked) seeing the BPM change for every measure of the transition on SDJ and my gear. So I took that route in the end. Loops, loop rolls, FX, etc will all be spot on after this :)

Wow! Thank you kindly!!! How new is this feature? Basically, how long have I gone feeling defeated when there was this solution? Hahahaha. You sir just made my week and it's only Monday.
nik39 9:48 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

This +1

Quote:

- OR -

But the displayed Bpm in your library will still show the wrong Bpm. Can you confirm this?
DjBliZz 9:59 PM - 6 July, 2015
I just tried this on one track (I'm at my day job so I could only just test it out quick) and it changed the BPM in my library to the End BPM instead of the Start BPM. That's not good. So I manually changed the BPM in my library back to the Start BPM and it erased the beat grid I just made and saved. Maybe I did something wrong but I need it to show the Start BPM in the library and only show me the end BPM while it's playing.
PopRoXxX 2:51 PM - 7 July, 2015
If you want it to show the start BPM, you need to do all of the above and then lock the beat grid by CMD+click on the first column on the far left (the column that shows the icons for video, corrupted, iTunes, etc files). The lock will appear and you should be able to change the BPM value without messing up the grid.

All my tags are proper AF. So they actually state the beginning and end BPM in the tag. So I honestly prefer the end BPM showing in the BPM column so I know where I'm going to end up at while I'm searching my library.
DjBliZz 12:29 AM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
If you want it to show the start BPM, you need to do all of the above and then lock the beat grid by CMD+click on the first column on the far left (the column that shows the icons for video, corrupted, iTunes, etc files). The lock will appear and you should be able to change the BPM value without messing up the grid.

All my tags are proper AF. So they actually state the beginning and end BPM in the tag. So I honestly prefer the end BPM showing in the BPM column so I know where I'm going to end up at while I'm searching my library.

I am very good with keep up my tags. But I like the starting BPM to show in the BPM tag. That way when I sort to find what I can mix with that I'm already playing I can get to the track faster and see all my options all together. But everyone has their library set up different. There's no one way to organize a library.

Thanks for the cmd click info. I never actually knew what the lock icon was for. I appreciate it! Thank you.
Deejae Smooth 2:48 PM - 11 July, 2015
Reading through these comments, doesn't it seem as though Serato needs to do a whole hell of a lot more work on library management? Think about all of the additional settings we should have to control how we want this stuff to work. Not to mention an engine that can actually track the drums in a song, where they are instead of where it thinks they should be.

It amazes me that Serato keeps putting out updates fixing other things but these library problems have been there since the beginning.
Denne 7:59 AM - 12 July, 2015
I'm with you on this. I don't like library in Serato very much. People complain all the time and nothing happens. Same story with the day/night mode :(
Deejae Smooth 4:42 PM - 11 August, 2015
Version 1.7.7 just came out and no mention of beat grid analysis in the release notes. It shouldn't feel bad, library management wasn't in there either.
Mr. Goodkat 8:04 PM - 11 August, 2015
everything in serato dj should work perfectly, for every user, all the time.

c'mon serato when you gonna get it together !! :P
PopRoXxX 8:09 PM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:

No one should EVER have to do any work on their own when they open SDJ. From prepping offline to playing shows. SDJ should ALWAYS do it for you no matter what. SMHLOL!!!!
BleedR 11:47 AM - 12 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

No one should EVER have to do any work on their own when they open SDJ. From prepping offline to playing shows. SDJ should ALWAYS do it for you no matter what. SMHLOL!!!!

You guys are trying to be funny, but I wanna see your facial expression when SDJ crashes while you have an important gig!
PopRoXxX 3:30 PM - 12 August, 2015
Haven't had crashes on final releases in years. And Universal multiple times a week is pretty important with Comcast, NBC and G&E constantly watching you.
Deejae Smooth 4:43 PM - 12 August, 2015
not to mention show10..
PopRoXxX 4:46 PM - 12 August, 2015
Quote:
not to mention show10..

For sure! Just throwing out there that every show we do is important Smooth. All eyes are watching us at all times. lol
Deejae Smooth 5:12 PM - 12 August, 2015
yeah man
bmeza 1:12 AM - 14 August, 2015
Hey is there way to analyze one song at a time automatically when I hit analyze it starts but my lap top is working hard over heats and shuts down any ideas on this
Deejae Smooth 1:21 AM - 14 August, 2015
drag the song(s) to the analyze button.

what i usually do is drag the new tracks from a finder window on to the audio or video crate in the library and then i can tell by the date added which ones to select and drag to the analyze button.
Deejae Smooth 1:24 AM - 14 August, 2015
btw..if Serato would give us an auto update feature, we wouldn't have this kinda stuff going on.

imagine a world where you tell serato your crate(s) (I keep all my music in one crate and all my videos in one crate) for your library and it knows to scan those crates each time it starts, find the new files, add them to library and then...and then..analyzes them for you!

wow..what a concept..
Laz219 1:49 AM - 14 August, 2015
There is a perfectly good reason analyzing is a manual selection- watch your processor spike when you start analyzing. Sure way to cause dropouts if it could just activate itself.

New tracks are analyzed on load anyway, so if you're playing a track you haven't had a chance to analyze, not like you're missing the overview.
bmeza 1:55 AM - 14 August, 2015
Good points my friends but me just being lazy and want to hit the button sit back and watch serato do its thing but it dose 2 at a time and then bam over heat
Laz219 2:01 AM - 14 August, 2015
Quote:
Good points my friends but me just being lazy and want to hit the button sit back and watch serato do its thing but it dose 2 at a time and then bam over heat

What computer are you using?
bmeza 2:06 AM - 14 August, 2015
Haha Toshiba satellite it works runs serato Dj fine just can't analyze on auto
Deejae Smooth 12:45 PM - 14 August, 2015
Quote:
New tracks are analyzed on load anyway

I wasn't talking about loading a new track that had never been analyzed before.

I was talking about a true auto update feature where Serato already knows the folders that contain your audio/video files, scans them, adds new tracks to the library and then initiates the anaylze on them.

That has nothing do with trying to load a track into a deck.

A properly designed auto update feature would only run when the software starts up and there is no controller/mixer connected.
Mike Czech 10:04 PM - 19 August, 2015
Quote:

This method doesn't work for me.

I get this message at the bottom of the screen in bold orange gross text.

"Error: Unable to edit tracks, all selected tracks are locked."

I'm on 1.7.5, I didn't see anything in the latest updates that changes this. Thoughts?
DjBliZz 6:08 PM - 9 September, 2015
Quote:
btw..if Serato would give us an auto update feature, we wouldn't have this kinda stuff going on.

imagine a world where you tell serato your crate(s) (I keep all my music in one crate and all my videos in one crate) for your library and it knows to scan those crates each time it starts, find the new files, add them to library and then...and then..analyzes them for you!

wow..what a concept..

I believe this is semi-possible already. I remember seeing a post where someone said you can load all your tracks into a certain folder in the Serato folder and they will automatically be added to your library when you open Serato. I have never tried this, but if it works you could then make a few Smart Crates to populate the newest added or however you want to set them up. So it seems like the function is there but it might need to be tweaked a bit. I don't care for auto update folder/crates, I prefer to do that myself. Each month of each year gets its own folder and I just drag that folder to Serato and it creates a new crate with that name. As I add to that folder, I just select all in the folder and drag them all the the corresponding crate. It only adds the new ones. Analyze and ready to go and sort into whatever specific crates I want to include them in, as well as any of the smart crates I have going on. In my opinion, there are plenty of other features that they should work on before a massive auto library update folder sync feature.

Back to the main topic, I think working in a key analyzing feature into PnT Plugin is the way they are going to go with their current business model of plugin add-ons for "advanced" features. It just seems like a perfect fit for a PnT feature. I would like to see that as well as a key shifting feature built into PnT soon.
Deejae Smooth 1:28 AM - 14 September, 2015
Serato has never had that capability. The closest it has ever come to what I'm talking about is that it reads the iTunes library every time it starts up so if you add something in iTunes, it'll pick up on that.
deejdave 1:37 AM - 14 September, 2015
DjBliZz is absolutely correct Serato certainly DOES have an auto import feature although it is very primitive. serato.com
DjBliZz 2:18 AM - 14 September, 2015
Quote:
DjBliZz is absolutely correct Serato certainly DOES have an auto import feature although it is very primitive. serato.com

I've never tried it before, but I wonder if all tracks have to be in the root "Auto Import" folder of if it can read from sub folders. If it can read from sub folder AND create crates from said sub folders, that would be the perfect solution.
dj_foo 9:36 AM - 15 September, 2015
I use this code.google.com

I manage all my music myself within folders and sub folders. For example my folder structure is:

House/Deep House/New

etc. etc.

Once I have managed my files I run itch sync BEFORE opening Serato DJ. All I need to then do within Serato is add my comments. I also uncheck the "custom crate columns" option so that it remembers what I want in each folder.

Its not automated, but its pretty damn quick. It creates a crate and subcrates equivalent to the folder structure within OSX.

Hope that helps
DJ Tecniq 9:48 AM - 15 September, 2015
Quote:
I often have issues with house/EDM tracks that have a triplet rhythm to them. The BPM is 128, but Serato analyzes and finds a BPM in the 95-98 range.

An example is the new track from Elephante ft. Rumors "I Want You". Its BPM is 128, but Serato thinks it's 96. Here's the track - soundcloud.com
Same thing happens in Scratchlive to certain files. 128 but are analyzed at 96...terrible
Mr. Goodkat 7:57 AM - 16 September, 2015
why do even stay with serato dj tecniq? you only rail on it, why not switch to traktor or mixvibes or anything other than serato?

btw, not mad, just wondering. the posts come off as really disgusted and miserable? some people are like that in life so may be thats it? again just wondering. if you are, you are making people equally miserable and disgusted. Not with serato, just your personality.
deejdave 2:06 PM - 16 September, 2015
I can think of two others who serve the same purpose.
DJ Tecniq 10:48 PM - 16 September, 2015
Quote:
why do even stay with serato dj tecniq? you only rail on it, why not switch to traktor or mixvibes or anything other than serato?

btw, not mad, just wondering. the posts come off as really disgusted and miserable? some people are like that in life so may be thats it? again just wondering. if you are, you are making people equally miserable and disgusted. Not with serato, just your personality.
LOL I have both Scratchlive and SDJ. The fact the problem lies in both softwares is unbelievable...Just my two cents. carry on
DJ Tecniq 10:50 PM - 16 September, 2015
Quote:

And please let's be real...we're talking Scratchlive 2.5 and this same issue happens in SDJ? Why the hell hasn't this been fixed yet...There is no excuse my friend just being completely honest.
Mr. Goodkat 10:51 PM - 16 September, 2015
but why not switch to traktor or another competitor? or at least try it for a while? i find that taking things that really piss me off out of my life, makes my life better. maybe try vinyl? cdj?
DJ Tecniq 10:56 PM - 16 September, 2015
Quote:
but why not switch to traktor or another competitor? or at least try it for a while? i find that taking things that really piss me off out of my life, makes my life better. maybe try vinyl? cdj?
I came from vinyl..not a fan of cdi's I use turntables. And traktor I'm not interested in at all. But thanks anyway.
DJ Tecniq 10:57 PM - 16 September, 2015
cdj's*
DJ Tecniq 11:04 PM - 16 September, 2015
Quote:
maybe try vinyl?
Nothing new to me as you see I'm using vinyl in this short clip
www.facebook.com
BleedR 7:46 AM - 17 September, 2015
Rekordbox has dynamical Analysis. It's pretty nice btw!