DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ Ragoza AKA DJ Construc is about to take the DMC US Finals....

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:51 PM - 30 June, 2015
He already took Florida...

Sat Aug 22nd, 2015 - Webster Hall - NYC -

Sponsored by RANE....

www.djjohnnym.com

lol @ Mastermind going up against a DMC champ....

Oh, and here he is cutting up "Good Times"....

****sigh*****

www.facebook.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:27 PM - 30 June, 2015
Quote:
He already took Florida...

Sat Aug 22nd, 2015 - Webster Hall - NYC -

Sponsored by RANE....

www.djjohnnym.com

lol @ Mastermind going up against a DMC champ....

Oh, and here he is cutting up "Good Times"....

****sigh*****

www.facebook.com

I saw it this morning. Good luck.
Joee 5:46 PM - 30 June, 2015
@ DJ Ragoza AKA DJ Construc ,good luck dude, i always said your cuts are on point
 6 6:21 PM - 30 June, 2015
Glad to see a forum member not throwing cakes or putting on a mask.

You can do it Ragoza aka Construc aka Uncle Fester

nm
DJ GaFFle 11:58 PM - 30 June, 2015
Congrats Ragoza... is this the same competition DJ Precision is in? If so...

... good luck with THAT!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:49 AM - 1 July, 2015
Well, since JohnnyM posted the finalists - I figured I'd go youtubing to see who is who...

Ran across this one - Dwells: Watchwww.youtube.com

H's only been spinning since 2011, went to a DJ school to learn and he made a crack about old 50 year old DJs and the need for bringing something NEW and innovative to the competition.

I was expecting some DJ Shortee x Inferno x QBert shit but.....

Thoughts?
Joee 1:08 AM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
H's only been spinning since 2011, went to a DJ school to learn and he made a crack about old 50 year old DJs and the need for bringing something NEW and innovative to the competition.

i think some of said 50 year olds have more skill than the set he put down….he should pay attention to them 50 year olds …….because he didn't bring anything new to the table
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:58 AM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:

Man look...

Give that dude 2 regular pieces of vinyl, and THEN 'let's see how he stacks up against those "50 year olds"...lol.

Cash Money and Jeff are PROBLEMS....

PS...

Did you see they actually posted a shot of the SERATO Forum @ 1:44 in the Youtube clip with deejaycee creating a post about "Do you feel like your(**sigh**) cheating?" back in Sept 2009.

Y'all are infamous....
DJ GaFFle 2:02 AM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
Did you see they actually posted a shot of the SERATO Forum @ 1:44 in the Youtube clip with deejaycee creating a post about "Do you feel like your(**sigh**) cheating?" back in Sept 2009.

Y'all are infamous....

HaHa! Sort of embarrassing when it's put on Front Street.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:13 AM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
Y'all are infamous....

We are a big deal.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:23 AM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:

Wow, posted on my phone quickly while distracted and didn't preview before posting - MEANT - DJ Shiftee x Enferno x Qbert shit

and "He's only been spinning... DOH!!!!!

Quote:
Give that dude 2 regular pieces of vinyl, and THEN 'let's see how he stacks up against those "50 year olds"...lol.

Not even that - I'm looking for him to beat the shit out of some buttons while occasionally touching some vinyl like on all those pretty Native Instruments videos.

Hate to say it but the DMC battles are a bit stale compared to the RedBullThree Styles...

I just posted a vid in a thread earlier today - Watchwww.youtube.com

Although a lot of Threestyle is custom edits and premixed (just like the DMC battle dubplates of the 80's and 90's) - that is some next level digital shit - tone play, effects, loops, cue triggers, etc

Like I said - I was expecting dude to beat the shit out of some buttons or something
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:07 AM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Y'all are infamous....

HaHa! Sort of embarrassing when it's put on Front Street.

Man, you'd think since this is the Premier Helpdesk for all things under the sun from "How to beat a Drug Test" to battling "Race on Race" crime, and throwing in a few Serato hints erry now and then...cats would AT LEAST know how to use proper grammar....

smh.
DJ GaFFle 11:04 AM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

i think some of said 50 year olds have more skill than the set he put down….he should pay attention to them 50 year olds …….because he didn't bring anything new to the table

Yeah... "Respect the Architect(s)" - Biz Markie

For the last 20yrs, THE doPest scratch DJ on planet has been Qbert and he's nearly 46yrs old! I vaguely watched dude's comments but any "new jack" should recognize, the dopest DJ's been done it (since the 90's mind you). The game is much easier now with cue points, skipless (relative-mode), looping, effects, triggers and such. They've even got the roadmap already laid out for them with schools and Youtube videos to glean from.

I'm glad to at least see the competition/battle aspect continue and hopefully progress. They gotta keep it raw and funky though with "some" original and "recognizable" tracks. None of these dubstep-laiden routines with a bunch of Star Wars / Transformer movie sound effects. DJ Dwell did a good job of putting flavor tracks in his routine.
Chrisjin 1:16 PM - 1 July, 2015
good job man...kill that shit
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:30 PM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah... "Respect the Architect(s)" - Biz Markie

For the last 20yrs, THE doPest scratch DJ on planet has been Qbert and he's nearly 46yrs old! I vaguely watched dude's comments but any "new jack" should recognize, the dopest DJ's been done it (since the 90's mind you). The game is much easier now with cue points, skipless (relative-mode), looping, effects, triggers and such. They've even got the roadmap already laid out for them with schools and Youtube videos to glean from.

I'm glad to at least see the competition/battle aspect continue and hopefully progress. They gotta keep it raw and funky though with "some" original and "recognizable" tracks. None of these dubstep-laiden routines with a bunch of Star Wars / Transformer movie sound effects. DJ Dwell did a good job of putting flavor tracks in his routine.

Define 'flavor tracks' for me. Because I think I get what your saying and if im right I feel the exact opposite way
Logisticalstyles 4:25 PM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:

I agree.
DJ GaFFle 5:24 PM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
Define 'flavor tracks' for me. Because I think I get what your saying and if im right I feel the exact opposite way

"NY Sh--"
"Dipset Anthem"
"Champ"... classic breakbeat
"93 til' infinity"

Those are some Hip-Hop / funky tunes and no, I won't go in on defining flavor tracks (if you don't know flavor, I can't help you).

I will say flavor tracks are NOT anything from the likes of Deadmouse, Tiesto, Skrillex, and the bunch. I don't want to see the future of DJ battles sounding like this: Watchwww.youtube.com ← Did he even touch the computer to change tracks or were his battle records just one long pre-programmed Ultimix? One should at least have some variety in a set IMO.
DJ GaFFle 5:25 PM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
"NY Sh--"
"Dipset Anthem"
"93 til' infinity"

These were in DJ Dwell's set.
 6 5:25 PM - 1 July, 2015
"if you don't know flavor, I can't help you"

well said

nm
dj_soo 5:36 PM - 1 July, 2015
Dwells winning the dmc in nyc was a little controversial when it happened - thing is, he mainly won because qbert was one of the main judges and backed him.

I've seen him develop since he was posting vids at 14 and yea, he's got a ways to go in terms of cleanness of technique, and he's not going to be the next a trak imo, but he's learning and improving and he's only like 16 now...
Joee 6:03 PM - 1 July, 2015
classic flavor track to me…pete rock & cl smooth - they reminisce over you (T.R.O.Y.)

classic flavor track to DJ Dwells …bobby shmurda - hot n*gga
Taipanic 6:55 PM - 1 July, 2015
Didn't really care for DJ Dwell's routine. Not clean, many parts not musical or on beat, tricks for trick's sake. Scratching wasn't on par with the top dudes, seemed like only a few scratch types, not enough variety. Using FX for this type of battle stuff is hard to pull off, really need to have the FX add to the mix with some awesome sound change, not just a flanger, echo, or jet effect. He's young and it shows but he's got a long time ahead of him to get his battle sets up to that next level.
Just a review, I don't claim to be able to match most any of it, not my thing as far as DJing goes.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:42 PM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
I've seen him develop since he was posting vids at 14 and yea, he's got a ways to go in terms of cleanness of technique, and he's not going to be the next a trak imo, but he's learning and improving and he's only like 16 now...

What ever happened to Russell and Sara - those two kids that could scratch their asses off?????

Watchwww.youtube.com

They should be old enough for DMC now???
CMOS 8:45 PM - 1 July, 2015
They got an A- on a test so the dad burned all their DJ gear.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:05 PM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

"NY Sh--"
"Dipset Anthem"
"93 til' infinity"

Those are some Hip-Hop / funky tunes and no, I won't go in on defining flavor tracks (if you don't know flavor, I can't help you).

I will say flavor tracks are NOT anything from the likes of Deadmouse, Tiesto, Skrillex, and the bunch. I don't want to see the future of DJ battles sounding like this: Watchwww.youtube.com ← Did he even touch the computer to change tracks or were his battle records just one long pre-programmed Ultimix? One should at least have some variety in a set IMO.

See if im reading you right ive been thinkinh the opposite. Im not against the classics but my biggest problem (on a personal level) with the big battles now is noone is being original or progessing forward musically. I know 90s was the best time ever for music or whatever but when I watch these comps I am personally looking to see someone do something that will inspire me in my current sets but all I seem to see are people playing songs that have been played out for 12 years and doing routines that have been done to those songs for 12 years. All im hearing now are people who seemed to be really inspired by AMs sets cause thats all im hearing.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:43 PM - 1 July, 2015
Smh @ battling using today's "hits". Nothing is even worth making a routine with. Most routines area made with "timeless" jawns. Today's music is disposable. By the time they perfect the routine, nobody would want to hear the song.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:44 PM - 1 July, 2015
*are made with
 6 12:10 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Smh @ battling using today's "hits". Nothing is even worth making a routine with. Most routines area made with "timeless" jawns. Today's music is disposable. By the time they perfect the routine, nobody would want to hear the song.

You know. I don't agree with this. So much of today's "hits" is still around. Just look at all the stuff that's been played over the years that qualifies as classics now. They may not be classics of our time but are certainly classics of their time.

nm
 6 12:11 AM - 2 July, 2015
And btw, someone with real skills could battle using POLKA music if they so chose, and they would get props if the skills were there.

Now, I'd like to see someone do that with vinyl too. lol

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:53 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You know. I don't agree with this. So much of today's "hits" is still around. Just look at all the stuff that's been played over the years that qualifies as classics now. They may not be classics of our time but are certainly classics of their time.

nm

Oh really?

Name one...
 6 12:55 AM - 2 July, 2015
Teach Me How To Dougie.

How many more do you want?

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:56 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Teach Me How To Dougie.

nm

Teach me how to Dougie is OUR classic man...

Stop playin...

Try again...
 6 12:57 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Teach Me How To Dougie.

nm

Teach me how to Dougie is OUR classic man...

Stop playin...

Try again...

2011 is our classic?

Come. On.

You lost.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:01 AM - 2 July, 2015
Teach Me How to Dougie came out in 2010 bruh, but that's only a year's difference.

So what OTHER "Classics" came out? lol.
 6 1:17 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Teach Me How to Dougie came out in 2010 bruh, but that's only a year's difference.

So what OTHER "Classics" came out? lol.

The ALBUM came out in 2011. The single, came out in 2010.

Still..... 5 years ago. THEIR CLASSIC, not ours.

Gangnam Style ... 2012. - Guaranteed to matter now and a few years from now aka classic
Turn Down For What .... 2013 - Guaranteed to matter now and a few years from now aka classic

What me to keep going?

nm
 6 1:18 AM - 2 July, 2015
Harlem Shake ... 2012 ----- You play that... still gets people moving... in other words, another classic.

LMFAO - Sexy and You Know It... 2011?

These are songs that will still be relevant (classic style) in many years to come.

nm
 6 1:19 AM - 2 July, 2015
lmao @ saying anything less than 5 years IS our classic.

Your classics are ... what Barbra Streisand? lol

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:31 AM - 2 July, 2015
For example check out FCZs set here. Dope set imho but look at the crowd, the only people into it are the older people and theres only a few of em.....could just be a rough crowd or the fact that everyones there for the comp but it just seems to me if people would start doing really creative shit with shit thats actually relevant, it would be more impressive and garner more respect.....just my 2 cents
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:33 AM - 2 July, 2015
Yeah, the SONG came out in 2010, who cares when the album came out? lmao...

Gangnam Style is NOT a classic.

Turn Down For What is NOT a Classic.

Harlem Shake is NOT a classic.

Those are all songs that were hot for a quick minute....

Turn Down for What is "Kinda" aitte....but face it...

Your crowd just like old sh*t....smh.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:41 AM - 2 July, 2015
Recent possible Classics??

Clique - Kanye and Big Sean
Fuckin' Problem - ASAP Rocky

Older possible classics?

I'm the ISH - DJ Class

Shit, I'm trying to think of more - 2000 and later music IS DISPOSABLE
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:45 AM - 2 July, 2015
"I'm the ISH - DJ Class" ok, that qualifies...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:47 AM - 2 July, 2015
Ok I cheated and used google (old man privilege)

Hot in Here - Nelly 2002

In Da Club 59 Cent - 2003

Still Fly - Three 6 Mafia 2002

I want to also say Kanye - Flashing Lights
 6 1:47 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:

lol @ MY crowd... yeah

Cause my crowd consists of how many billions of views on youtube for Gangnam Style?

lmao!!!!

NM
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:47 AM - 2 July, 2015
I think it was a 5 year window man....lmao.
 6 1:48 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:

Then include LMFAO - I'm Sexy and You Know It

nm
 6 1:49 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Ok I cheated and used google (old man privilege)

Hot in Here - Nelly 2002

In Da Club 59 Cent - 2003

Still Fly - Three 6 Mafia 2002

I want to also say Kanye - Flashing Lights

Those are not really today's classics either...

Play those at an elementary school. They won't know what those are.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:49 AM - 2 July, 2015
Mmmmkay.....

Bruh, Gangnam Style was aitte for a hot minute...

That's it...

If your people like it...then your job is easy....

lmao at using Youtube as your music barometer....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:50 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Ummmm.....no.
 6 1:50 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Mmmmkay.....

Bruh, Gangnam Style was aitte for a hot minute...

That's it...

If your people like it...then your job is easy....

lmao at using Youtube as your music barometer....

lol @ thinking that's MY MUSIC barometer

You wanted an answer. I GAVE YOU A BUNCH. You lost.

Admit it old man. Oh wait. That's right. You. Can't. Admit. A. Loss.

;)

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:51 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:

nm

Welp, there you go...

Sixxx's top classic are determined by that demographic...

Say do you survey them BEFORE nap time or after?
 6 1:51 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Ummmm.....no.

Why... cause they're not Barbra Streisand? lol

nm
 6 1:52 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Welp, there you go...

Sixxx's top classic are determined by that demographic...

Say do you survey them BEFORE nap time or after?

No. You asked for TODAY'S classics. I can give you classics from any year.

I'm a DJ. Looks like you're not.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:52 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
You wanted an answer. I GAVE YOU A BUNCH. OF BULLSH*T...

lol... I'll agree with that...
 6 1:52 AM - 2 July, 2015
"They may not be classics of our time but are certainly classics of their time."

There. So you can read it again.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:52 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:

nm

***yawn***

You should try using jokes from this year as well...
 6 1:53 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

U Mad

:)

nm
Quote:
Quote:

nm

***yawn***

You should try using jokes from this year as well...

you should try sticking to SONGS from this year, relevant to what I say...

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:53 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
"They may not be classics of our time but are certainly classics of their time."

There. So you can read it again.

nm

lol...

It's ok man...

Them kindygartners keep you on track huh?

lmao.
Looks like you're mad now that I proved you wrong. :)

My job is done here.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:54 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

U Mad

nm

No, I'm not mad...but you are...

matter of fact...here's a cape...

Now you can be ..

SUPER MAD!!!!

lmao....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:55 AM - 2 July, 2015
smh @ you thinking you're dealing with AKIEM...or someone of that caliber...

lol @ your Garanimal playlist.....
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:56 AM - 2 July, 2015
Some of the "Girlie" tunes never get credit...

Again - stuff I like vs what will be classic - hard to tell:

Rihanna - Pour It Up
Beyonce - 7/11

Older again...

Crazy In Love - Beyonce
Jay Z - I just Wanna Love U
Juvenile - Back That Ass Up

Oh Kewl - a Sixxx and JohnnyM battle of wits...

POPCORN TIME!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:56 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:

nm

Nothing you say is ever relevant...so....lol.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:57 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:

POPCORN TIME!!!

No popcorn here, but you might wanna ask Sixxx if he needs a juicebox...lmao.
 6 1:58 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
smh @ you thinking you're dealing with AKIEM...or someone of that caliber...

lol @ your Garanimal playlist.....

mad post
 6 1:59 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Nothing you say is ever relevant...so....lol.

mad post
 6 1:59 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

POPCORN TIME!!!

No popcorn here, but you might wanna ask Sixxx if he needs a juicebox...lmao.

another mad post.

Too easy. No wonder Remix got to you so quick. lol

nm
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:45 AM - 2 July, 2015
6 you are usually on point...not so much this time.
 6 3:31 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
6 you are usually on point...not so much this time.

It may not be music WE consider classics or music we even like but this isn't about us old cats.

Think about it. In a DJ battle, unless you know what the DJ is doing, you won't get it. The other aspect of the battle has got to be what he plays. This is why in today's battles, the audience is looking bored for the most part. But, play to them as you're killing it with your skills and you'll get a better response.

nm
Dj Shamann 3:34 AM - 2 July, 2015
Yeah sorry 6, you lost me on that elementary school shit, who gives a fuck what they listen to? If we're going to talk today's club/party classics, they need to be at least old enough to get in without having to enter by the buddy system with notes pinned to their jackets.

I'd agree there are a stack of classics that will be (like Dougie) though.

But it's odd that we're having this convo after a teenaged Dj called out 50 year old DJs, and then proceeded to play music that 50 year old DJs would (and have) played a million times over. I skipped past it.

On topic, s/o Construc/Ragoza, keep progressing with it (I'm still going to wear my headphones though)

:p
 6 3:39 AM - 2 July, 2015
Elementary kids. They're the future. As shitty as their music taste is (now), they're the future and we can't overlook that.

nm
Dj Shamann 3:47 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Elementary kids. They're the future. As shitty as their music taste is (now), they're the future and we can't overlook that.

nm

That's not what I'm saying though, if we're talking about today's classics, we should be talking about today's club/party crowd. yeah the little kids may know it now, but they also listen to Reel 2 Reel because of these shitty kids movie soundtracks. it's going to be a whole different ball game when they grow up.

The kids formative years when they start moving towards adulthood is more important. High school and up, to the lesser, the jr. high kids

Plus, didn't we all have this convo recently about track resurgence?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:48 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:

LOL - Couldn't resist - youtu.be
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:54 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

That's not what I'm saying though, if we're talking about today's classics, we should be talking about today's club/party crowd.

I know its different for each demographic but the people I play for aint checkin for old ll cool j or dipset tracks
Dj Shamann 3:56 AM - 2 July, 2015
Even though I got into Hip-Hop around the Beat Street era,and I was into roller skating music it was still well before my time to understand what was really going on at that point. When I was in HS, it was Wu-Tang and Boot Camp and shit like that. Because I'm a DJ I have a deeper appreciation for late 70s, early 80s Funk/R&B/Hip-Hop, but most people that have even got a few years on me are only asking for 90s shit at "Old School" jams.

I'm a Motown/Staxx fanatic too, that was long before I was born, but I'm a DJ. Can you tell me any normal 20 year olds now that are dying to hear BDP when they go out? They were still alive for it, it just want their formative/explorative years.
Dj Shamann 3:56 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
I know its different for each demographic but the people I play for aint checkin for old ll cool j or dipset tracks

That's what I'm saying

(I elaborated as you posted)
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:00 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

That's what I'm saying

(I elaborated as you posted)

Yup,I agree.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:05 AM - 2 July, 2015
All I am saying is most audiences today arent music conisoours so juggling good times like djs have been doing for the last billion years dont impress them like it might impress us (professioal music junkies) because they dont have a connection to it....mabye if every dj wssnt doing it would be a surprise but when every dj is trying to be original by coping a dj spinbad routine from 1998 it gets lost. I think it would serve better to do something just as creative and amazing with music thats currently relevant. Is today's music disposable, sure is, but I dont think you should treat your routine like a 57 chevy. Make a routine, show it off, move on. You dont see louis ck doing the same hour of jokes for a decade. Move on and be creative
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:06 AM - 2 July, 2015
Remember back in the 90's - the conscious Hip hop (ATCQ, etc) is what WE all know and love but the bangers in the streets was all that No Limit hot garbage or some of those Hot Boyz and Mannie Fresh stuff?.

Drop "Down for Ni66as" or some Mystkal....??? And Then What - Jeezy?

I was thinking what the equivalent of that stuff would be??/

Wipe me Down? - Watchwww.youtube.com

Donk - Soulja Boy? - Watchwww.youtube.com

Some of those hood bangers will be the next generation "throwbacks" like our 90's???
Dj Shamann 4:15 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
All I am saying is most audiences today arent music conisoours so juggling good times like djs have been doing for the last billion years dont impress them like it might impress us (professioal music junkies) because they dont have a connection to it....mabye if every dj wssnt doing it would be a surprise but when every dj is trying to be original by coping a dj spinbad routine from 1998 it gets lost.

I'm with you.

But there's plenty of new music to make routines now, without resorting to premade electronica beats that are designed to make the Dj sound more intricate than he is.

Perfect examples from these boards alone, who are relevant: Dj Vekked (multiple DMC champ/participant)

Spare Change (forgot his official name, but I've seen official routines and they're ridiculous)

And while we're at it, how about the guy that this thread is about? Contruc (I'll get used to Ragoza soon): Current contender for US finals.
Dj Shamann 4:22 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
but the bangers in the streets was all that No Limit hot garbage or some of those Hot Boyz and Mannie Fresh stuff?.

I was actually going to go there. I mentioned in another thread that some of my "throwback" sets are going N.O.

It's because the people who are hitting their late 20s now are tired of working their shitty job all week and want to get drunk and relive the nostalgia from the late 90s/2000s.

But can I blame them? Ruff Ryderz was the hot club music for my gen at the exact same time, difference was we were old enough to get in the club, the dudes that now want to hear "Back that Azz Up" weren't.

LOL @ The Master P movies though, they were dubbed and spread around like wild fire.
Dj Shamann 4:23 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
I was thinking what the equivalent of that stuff would be??/

Wipe me Down? - Watchwww.youtube.com

Donk - Soulja Boy? - Watchwww.youtube.com

Some of those hood bangers will be the next generation "throwbacks" like our 90's???

LOL dude, it's almost here.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:29 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:

nm

LMAOOOOOOOO.......
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:42 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

LMAOOOOOOOO.......

Not sure why your laughing., whens the last threestyle/dmc you attended
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:45 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
And while we're at it, how about the guy that this thread is about? Contruc (I'll get used to Ragoza soon): Current contender for US finals.

Actually, that's a VERY GOOD POINT....

I was talking to Ragoza AKA Construc some time ago (7 months about), and the discussion was primarily about routines and such. I mentioned that in preparation for battle, he might be thrown a curve in some of these battles....

For example, in one battle, DJ Scratch was a judge or something, and he basically handed the DJ's straight VINYL copies of "Nobody Beats The Biz", with prepositioned cue points on the wax and all, and told them to go for broke. Half of them were lost, or sounded basic at best....

Now a dude coming up on STRICTLY DVS may not know how to handle something seemingly so "easy" as that...so I advised him to get some REGULAR vinyl if not just for practice, but to shore up his arsenal.

I also advised him to learn some "Standard" breaks and cut them up, (i.e. Good Times), because it's a revered STAPLE, and SOME cats may not be able to understand how complicated some of his scratches are simply by cutting "ahhh" or "fresh" over a beat, but when you cut a WELL KNOWN BREAK, you have the chance to bring YOUR level of expertise and "different" way of cutting to a recognized piece.

If you notice in his vid, he had on HEADPHONES....

When have you ever seen Construc wear HEADPHONES?

Never! Which means, he's using different parts of the record (vs a known cue point) and can add his own flavor to that WELL KNOWN BREAK....

Some people will say, there's only so many different ways to cut up a record....

If you're TRULY cutting edge, then you'll make one more....

****Drops mic and leaves it smokin' ******
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:47 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

LMAOOOOOOOO.......

Not sure why your laughing., whens the last threestyle/dmc you attended

Dude, I see those things online all the time. Hell even Ragoza was practicing for one....something "happened" to his submission, but still...

It's not something I'm into because of the audience that it caters to...

It's a Party DJ battle.....no necessarily skills...but crowd enticement.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:01 AM - 2 July, 2015
not necessarily skills
 6 5:21 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

That's not what I'm saying though, if we're talking about today's classics, we should be talking about today's club/party crowd. yeah the little kids may know it now, but they also listen to Reel 2 Reel because of these shitty kids movie soundtracks. it's going to be a whole different ball game when they grow up.

The kids formative years when they start moving towards adulthood is more important. High school and up, to the lesser, the jr. high kids

Plus, didn't we all have this convo recently about track resurgence?

I don't recall that conversation.

Either way, I do quite a bit of elementary stuff and these kids REQUEST stuff that's IN THE CLUBS and that's PLAYED ON THE RADIO.

Come on now. I haven't played Reel To Reel to a bunch of kids in... never actually. lol

nm
 6 5:22 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

That's not what I'm saying though, if we're talking about today's classics, we should be talking about today's club/party crowd.

Exactly.

nm
 6 5:23 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
All I am saying is most audiences today arent music conisoours so juggling good times like djs have been doing for the last billion years dont impress them like it might impress us (professioal music junkies) because they dont have a connection to it....mabye if every dj wssnt doing it would be a surprise but when every dj is trying to be original by coping a dj spinbad routine from 1998 it gets lost. I think it would serve better to do something just as creative and amazing with music thats currently relevant. Is today's music disposable, sure is, but I dont think you should treat your routine like a 57 chevy. Make a routine, show it off, move on. You dont see louis ck doing the same hour of jokes for a decade. Move on and be creative

I agree

nm
 6 5:23 AM - 2 July, 2015
" But there's plenty of new music to make routines now, without resorting to premade electronica beats that are designed to make the Dj sound more intricate than he is."

and I agree with this too

nm
Dj Shamann 5:29 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Come on now. I haven't played Reel To Reel to a bunch of kids in... never actually. lol

I haven't played *anything* to a bunch of kids in... never actually because fuck that shit.

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

nm

But that's exactly what i was saying too. I think you just caught up on me questioning the elementary shit.

I agreed with the Dougie shit, just read my elaboration to get the full point.
 6 6:04 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't played *anything* to a bunch of kids in... never actually because fuck that shit.

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

nm

But that's exactly what i was saying too. I think you just caught up on me questioning the elementary shit.

I agreed with the Dougie shit, just read my elaboration to get the full point.

Just off the top of my head, these were songs that were requested (among many others) at the last elementary dance I DJ'ed. These are 4th and 5th graders btw. You can't tell me their parents are not exposing them to shit they shouldn't be listening to. lol

I Don't Mind - Usher
Lifestyle - Rich Gang
Talk Dirty - Jason Derulo
Turn Down For What - Lil Jon
Teach Me How To Dougie - Cali Swag District
IDFWU - Big Sean
Post To Be - Omarion

nm
Dj Shamann 6:31 AM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
You can't tell me their parents are not exposing them to shit they shouldn't be listening to.

I didn't say they weren't, I know hoodrats that let their kids listen to all kinds of shit they shouldn't, but that's subjective and it wasn't the conversation I was having.

You agreed with Bezzle, who was agreeing with my sentiment that nobody at new club age wants to hear shit like Cool J or Dipset. Again, subjective depending on the crowd, but not a far off the mark in terms of today's general crowd.

Dipset was hot 15 years ago, like, really on top, Jim Jones kept going until 2006ish-8ish, but it was a wrap after that.

15 years ago, a 21 year old was in elementary school. I doubt he wants to hear Dipset Anthem now (even in a region like mine where it was hot)

For Jim Jones sake, 2006 (ballin) a 21 year old was 12, jr. high age. This is where we hit middle ground because the song MIGHT still play and why I say it's more about formative adulthood years than what they were doing at the kiddie dance after watching Minions.

When I was 21 and "Old School" came on my friends didn't want to hear Just Ice, they wanted Wu
 6 3:40 PM - 2 July, 2015
You cannot compare our time to their time. Our songs hanged around longer. Their attention span is a lot shorter than ours was back then and technology has a lot to do with it. It's easier now for them to get access to anything vs us and we had napster!

So, it's easier for them to listen to stuff that we didn't listen to that we didn't have access to when we were young.

Regardless, just wait and see. All the songs I mentioned will be called classics as time passes, again, whether we like the music or not.

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:55 PM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
You cannot compare our time to their time. Our songs hanged around longer. Their attention span is a lot shorter than ours was back then and technology has a lot to do with it. It's easier now for them to get access to anything vs us and we had napster!

So, it's easier for them to listen to stuff that we didn't listen to that we didn't have access to when we were young.

Regardless, just wait and see. All the songs I mentioned will be called classics as time passes, again, whether we like the music or not.

nm

In addition to tech making access easier, I think moreso why music is disposable now adays is because tech makes it easier to create. Its one guy picked by a label who had to have a studio and 2 years to craft an album vs now where 10 million kids have the tools to craft that same album in a week in their bedroom.
Taipanic 5:28 PM - 2 July, 2015
and of course most of these cats are paying little to nothing for music & software. If every other occupation/hobby had the entrance bar so low like we do now we'd all be race car drivers, jet pilots, club owners, etc...
DJ Remy USA 6:05 PM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:

You trippin Johnny, Turn Down For What is totally gonna be a classic for this gen. The Harlem Shake will emerge as classic for this gen too, it was too game changing. Harlem Shake open the door for othe electronic acts to drop commerical hits. Anyways agree to disagree on that.
Taipanic 6:32 PM - 2 July, 2015
A few more surely to be "classics" of the current generation:
Shots
Animals
Low
G6
Boom Boom Pow
Uptown Funk
DJ Remy USA 9:04 PM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Shots
Animals
Low
G6
Boom Boom Pow
Uptown Funk

Agreed all classics from this era especially Shots, G6, and Low.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:36 AM - 3 July, 2015
Taipanic aqnd Remy - what coast are you guys on or where you from.

I'd have to side with Johnny - those ARE California or Left Coast mainstream classics?

Johnny is from Jersey and I am midwest (Detroit). Here's the thing - cuts like G6, Boom Boom Pow and Gangham Style NEVER really crossed over to the Hood or Black folks like Low, Turn Down For What or Shots...

A good barometer for a TRUE classic hit is being able to work in Black OR White Clubs like Low (Boots with the Fur), Uptown Funk, or Shots (because of Lil Jon) - and even then they are borderline - not MUST PLAY (like a DJ Class BUT too soon on Uptown Funk)

Maybe some of the other urban jocks will chime in with opinions but that list is way less than classic in some areas?
Taipanic 3:26 AM - 3 July, 2015
I'm from FL. I was listing tracks that were big party hits that will likely still bring a smile and dancers a decade from now. I wasn't thinking specifically Urban. When we're talking about generations, we're usually talking mainstream. Agree most of the "hood" classics are probably not known by 75% of the general population. I also wouldn't include Gangham Style - it was more of a novelty song, IMO.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:29 AM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
Taipanic aqnd Remy - what coast are you guys on or where you from.

I'd have to side with Johnny - those ARE California or Left Coast mainstream classics?

Johnny is from Jersey and I am midwest (Detroit). Here's the thing - cuts like G6, Boom Boom Pow and Gangham Style NEVER really crossed over to the Hood or Black folks like Low, Turn Down For What or Shots...

A good barometer for a TRUE classic hit is being able to work in Black OR White Clubs like Low (Boots with the Fur), Uptown Funk, or Shots (because of Lil Jon) - and even then they are borderline - not MUST PLAY (like a DJ Class BUT too soon on Uptown Funk)

Maybe some of the other urban jocks will chime in with opinions but that list is way less than classic in some areas?

Man look....I'm STILL LMAO @ Gangnam style....

Eh, to each his own.....

But I'm saying....
dj_soo 9:30 AM - 3 July, 2015
Gangnam style will be the Ice Ice Baby of this generation. Loved, reviled, and then played again for kitsch.

For my white crowds, Don't Stop Believing goes off and I doubt that will ever be played for black crowds - regardless, it's still a classic for the demographic.
 6 3:33 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
Gangnam style will be the Ice Ice Baby of this generation. Loved, reviled, and then played again for kitsch.

For my white crowds, Don't Stop Believing goes off and I doubt that will ever be played for black crowds - regardless, it's still a classic for the demographic.

Yup

nm
 6 3:34 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Shots
Animals
Low
G6
Boom Boom Pow
Uptown Funk

Agreed all classics from this era especially Shots, G6, and Low.

Yup

nm
 6 3:50 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
Eh, to each his own.....

But I'm saying....

This is the equivalent of AKIEM's "whatever"

Cats can't admit when they're wrong.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:50 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Eh, to each his own.....

But I'm saying....

This is the equivalent of AKIEM's "whatever"

Cats can't admit when they're wrong.

nm

Again, you THINK you're talking to AKIEM, wrong dude bro...

Gangnam style is NOT a Classic....However it IS like Ice Ice Baby - from MY CROWD's perspective...

A gimmicky song....period.

lmao @ building your Billboard Classics from a Kindergarten Workshop....
 6 7:16 PM - 3 July, 2015
And ice ice baby IS a classic

So thanks for proving my point

Boyah!!!

nm
 6 7:16 PM - 3 July, 2015
Boo yah!!!

nm
 6 7:17 PM - 3 July, 2015
lol @ calling a CLASSIC not a CLASSIC because you only DJ for old people at the AARP

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:40 PM - 3 July, 2015
smh.... Ice Ice Baby is a classic to YOU.....lmao...

For the rest of us...

It's just old...
latindj 8:47 PM - 3 July, 2015
Everything is anything to anyone depending on their own personal views and thoughts. Doesn't make everything wrong from anyone unless you just like to argue for the sake of argument. Doesn't make it right either. Just makes us human with distinct individual tastes and personalities. If you don't like my taste, don't swallow. :)
 6 8:50 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
Everything is anything to anyone depending on their own personal views and thoughts. Doesn't make everything wrong from anyone unless you just like to argue for the sake of argument. Doesn't make it right either. Just makes us human with distinct individual tastes and personalities. If you don't like my taste, don't swallow. :)

hahahaha

nm
 6 8:54 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
smh.... Ice Ice Baby is a classic to YOU.....lmao...

For the rest of us...

It's just old...

You're just arguing because you're old and you have nothing better to do.

All music services call it a classic. It's not a classic to you because

it's not

Wait for it

BARBRA STREISAND

lmao

nm
 6 8:55 PM - 3 July, 2015
Here's another song that is a classic and Johnny knew nothing about it.

Zapp & Roger. More Ounce To The Ounce

That tells you that Johnny is comfortable with whatever classics are only played at the AARP in HIS NEIGHBORHOOD.

nm
 6 8:55 PM - 3 July, 2015
Bounce....

nm
Dj Wunder 9:09 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
Well, since JohnnyM posted the finalists - I figured I'd go youtubing to see who is who...

Ran across this one - Dwells: Watchwww.youtube.com

Thoughts?

Got this far then skipped the rest...

FACT: I haven't progressed past the Baby scratch (but it's on point doh!!)

FACT: I grew up watching/studying/supporting the X-ecutioners, Skratch Pickles, Beat Junkies, etc..

FACT: This kid is no Skratch Pickle

FACT: He's young, and if he'd keep his mouth shut he'd be pretty impressive

FACT: He talks a bunch about changing the game and moving shit forward, then proceeds to do nothing game-changing or forward thinking
chasetimeless 10:59 PM - 3 July, 2015
@johnnym sounds like a parent who doesn't connect with the current generation lol
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:59 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:

Actually one of the Crooklyn DJs did a mash up of Don't Stop Believing over a Planet Rock beat - I dropped that a few times in the hood at the right time when Mash ups were the "hot thing"...

Don't Stop Believin' In Planet Rock - Journey vs. Afrika Bambaataa) - Watchwww.youtube.com

It was actually a mixed crowd - thinking back...
DJ Remy USA 12:08 AM - 4 July, 2015
Im from D.C and in regards to classics they range across all genres so G6 is a classic for a certain audience just like Drake's Best I ever had is classic for another audience.

I dont agree with that gangnam style track....no props on that one.lol
DJ Remy USA 12:10 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
lol @ calling a CLASSIC not a CLASSIC because you only DJ for old people at the AARP

nm

LMAO
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:15 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
You're just arguing because you're old and you have nothing better to do.

lol @ you considering this "arguing"...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:17 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Here's another song that is a classic and Johnny knew nothing about it.

***sigh*** again that was a CALI thing...

Out HERE they were called Zapp...(No Roger)...

I can't help that NY didn't care about Cali.....lmao.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:18 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Bounce....

nm

LMAO @ you trying to type some "Classic" *ish that EVERYBODY knows, and ..

screwed it up...

Man look...

You need a nap, that AM Kindergarten Day Party did you in..huh?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:19 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
@johnnym sounds like a parent who doesn't connect with the current generation lol

And WHO are you again?

Oh, you're that kid that failed Kindergarten...

Another one trying to be in the conversation...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:20 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
I dont agree with that gangnam style track....no props on that one.lol

Exactly....
chasetimeless 1:33 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

And WHO are you again?

Oh, you're that kid that failed Kindergarten...

Another one trying to be in the conversation...

lol i got a masters and a phd though, u might need to stack up on some ensure cause your neophobia is catching up to u lol. to answer your question Danza cudoro is a classic plus trap queen is a classic the same ways some will say two live crew me so horny is a classic
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:00 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
lol i got a masters and a phd though,

Really?

Quote:
u might need to stack up on some ensure cause your neophobia

You should brush up on that Grammar tho...

Here, lemmie help - www.elearnenglishlanguage.com

Let me know if you need a School House Rock link as well....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:01 AM - 4 July, 2015
lmao @ somebody with a PHD thinking Trap Queen is a "Classic" IN THE FIRST PLACE....

and it's been out for a total of 5 minutes.....in the 2nd place...

smh...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:02 AM - 4 July, 2015
Indubitably... :-)
 6 2:22 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:

Boom!

nm
 6 2:36 AM - 4 July, 2015
Shhh. Don't bother the old man.

He likes Barbra Streisand for Dog's sake. His music card got revoked a loooong time ago. lol

nm
 6 2:45 AM - 4 July, 2015
And btw, he calls Barbra Streisand CLASSIC rock

Full circle.

Bam!

hahahaha

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:27 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Boom!

nm

LMAO @ you using AKIEM'S old azz jokes....lmao...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:28 AM - 4 July, 2015
Oh man, YES, you three need your own Reality TV series ASAP....
 6 6:57 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
And btw, he calls Barbra Streisand CLASSIC rock

Full circle.

Bam!

hahahaha

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:36 PM - 4 July, 2015
yawn....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:40 PM - 4 July, 2015
But you're the KIndergarten KANG...lmao.
 6 2:08 PM - 4 July, 2015
Barbra Straisand. Classic rock!

Seriously! And this fool wants to say what is classic and what is not.

lmao!!!!!!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:11 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
 6 10:49 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:

lmao!!!!!!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:54 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Dj Shamann 11:08 PM - 4 July, 2015
So yeah, how about that Ragoza? Go Construc, good luck in the finals homie!
 6 11:13 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

lmao!!!!!!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:39 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
 6 1:21 AM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lmao!!!!!!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:18 AM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
HighTopFade 4:59 PM - 5 July, 2015
Just viewed a few of DJ Rogoza's videos. Pretty good. Good luck out there!
 6 10:53 PM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lmao!!!!!!

nm
AKIEM 12:53 AM - 6 July, 2015
LOL using my jokes LOL
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:15 AM - 6 July, 2015
Can we get some ORIGINALITY up in hurr?

Y'all were doin' good for a min....
 6 1:52 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lmao!!!!!!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:27 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:49 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
So yeah, how about that Ragoza? Go Construc, good luck in the finals homie!

This...
Dj Shamann 4:28 AM - 6 July, 2015
I watched the Good Times vid again, it's weird because Construc scratches like I do, non-conventional (if that makes sense, i mean, I learned by listening, not by click flares or whatever)

but his speed and cleanliness is unreal

If he wins the DMC does that mean the Serato forums win too?
 6 5:29 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lmao!!!!!!

nm
Dj Shamann 5:47 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:38 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:

Maybe that's what's bugged out about his scratching...

I didn't realize it was "unconventional", all I knew since that those Sparechange / Uncle Fester vids was his cuts were RAZOR sharp, crystal clear and for lack of a better word, detailed, yet understandable.

That's why I asked him to do some regular breaks like "Good Times" so those that weren't "really" understanding what this dude is doing because he's using some obscure beat or scratch phrase, can now have a barometer that is universally accepted.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:39 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Duh, of COURSE we do....
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:53 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
I watched the Good Times vid again, it's weird because Construc scratches like I do, non-conventional (if that makes sense, i mean, I learned by listening, not by click flares or whatever)

He still cant read a crowd for shit :p
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:11 PM - 6 July, 2015
Oh, and I think it's HILARIOUS that Sixxx would show respect to AKIEM, by trying to use his (lame) old azz joke, (but joke nonetheless), when AKIEM refers to you as a FEMALE aka Chixxx.

Lmao - Respect due.....

It's gets NO better than that....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:14 PM - 6 July, 2015
WAIT! lmao...

ON TOP OF IT ALL, Sixxx tore Joee* a new one for what again?

LMAO...

Biting off of ME and not being ORIGINAL....

lol...

Oh, man that's enough interweb for the day...lol...
AKIEM 4:26 PM - 6 July, 2015
lame
Carry on...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:38 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't realize it was "unconventional", all I knew since that those Sparechange / Uncle Fester vids was his cuts were RAZOR sharp, crystal clear and for lack of a better word, detailed, yet understandable.

That's why I asked him to do some regular breaks like "Good Times" so those that weren't "really" understanding what this dude is doing because he's using some obscure beat or scratch phrase, can now have a barometer that is universally accepted.

<Disclosure - I can't scratch worth a shit>

Hmmmm, I thought it was me, - I WAS very impressed by his speed and ability BUT was thrown off by the scratches not being "rhythmic" or seemed to be slightly "off beat" musically - kinda didn't flow with me musically.

That doesn't mean shit I guess in a DMC competition it seems (speed and ability wins over "flow"??) but I seriously thought I was overlooking something, I'm glad somebody said something.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:43 PM - 6 July, 2015
I'd have to say Construc IS more "rhythmic" than most cats that do the standard "Scratch over a beat" drill, but that's just my opinion....
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:22 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmmm, I thought it was me, - I WAS very impressed by his speed and ability BUT was thrown off by the scratches not being "rhythmic" or seemed to be slightly "off beat" musically - kinda didn't flow with me musically.

That doesn't mean shit I guess in a DMC competition it seems (speed and ability wins over "flow"??) but I seriously thought I was overlooking something, I'm glad somebody said something.

agree
DJ Ragoza 1:08 AM - 7 July, 2015
Thanks for the love!
DJ Ragoza 1:14 AM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

agree

I actually take that as a compliment coming from DJ's who can't scratch. I used to think the same thing about Q bert until I understood more about scratching and now I love his cuts. It's not off beat, it's a syncopated style. Sometimes I accent the cuts on the "ands" of the beat if that makes sense. Syncopation = funk but I can see how that might not sound right to the untrained ear.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:21 AM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
I actually take that as a compliment coming from DJ's who can't scratch. I used to think the same thing about Q bert until I understood more about scratching and now I love his cuts. It's not off beat, it's a syncopated style. Sometimes I accent the cuts on the "ands" of the beat if that makes sense. Syncopation = funk but I can see how that might not sound right to the untrained ear.

Glad you cleared that up - and ABSOLUTELY NO DISRESPECT - I come from a House and Techno music background and my musical ears are used to everything in a syncopation (4/4 beats) so at around the 1 minute mark -I am looking for the chops and silence to land more on beat and at the same tempo vs the sheer skill that it takes for you to make those cuts and motions that fast and accurate.

YOU ARE A BEAST ON THE SCRATCH - NH and no disrespect
 6 4:11 PM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lmao!!!!!!

nm

"Streisand is one of the best-selling music artists of all time, with more than 72.5 million albums in the United States and with a total of 245 million records sold worldwide, making her the best-selling female artist among the top-selling artists recognized by the Recording Industry Association of America.[14][15][16][17] (The only female in the top ten, and the only artist outside of the rock 'n' roll genre.)[18"

Classic Rock he says lol

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:49 PM - 7 July, 2015
Originality is the KEY....lmao.