DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

ev ekx18sp vs qsc kw181 & elx112p vs ekx12p

Mr.Jace 11:07 PM - 27 June, 2015
I just came from guitar center. The ekx18sp finally was put out for display and it was sitting right next to the qsc kw181. So, I decided to a/b them both. They were sitting next to a wall(half space) . I used my cell phone to play music. I used the ev tops for sound, everything was at unity, ekx18sp was on music mode. Cross at 100hz. Here is what I got, the ev ekx18sp did indeed sounded better than the kw181, but the problem I noticed about the ev is that it limits early. My cell phone caused the ev to blink limit WITH MY CELL PHONE?! The qsc kept on going, I turned up the kw181 from 0 to +10 and the limit light did not come on at all. No clipping and I was playing modern dance music. On the ev ekx18sp, I adjusted the music mode to live and it helped with the sound output, but the meter was still showing. Club mode sounds distorted, so I put it back to music. I asked the sales guy can I hook up a mixer to get better idea on output, but the GC was too busy with the heavy crowd. Personally, the kw181 is a better speaker even though the ev sounded better. I would guess two ekx18sp would only handle about 130 people max where two qsc kw181 can handle 200 people estimate. I am planning to go back tomorrow for another test, for me kw181 beats the ekx18sp. It's not in the same league. Now for the ev tops. Both elx112p and ekx12p sounds alike. Both were flat and full range, ekx12p and elx112p the ekx has a slightly more punchy sound while the elx112p is just warm. Once again, I cranked up the volume and the ekx12p was close to limiting because of the meter, it was 3quarters full with just using a cell phone. I walked around the room and it seems like the elx112p has a slight better throw than the ekx12p but the ekx sounds a little better. It's too close to call. I feel if you already own the elx112p , I doesn't seem worth replacing it with the ekx12p. Like I said,I will go back tomorrow and fiddle around with it more. I'll see if I can hook a mixer to it to test it properly. I am a little upset on the output of the ekx18sp.
dj_soo 12:25 AM - 28 June, 2015
I've heard that the best setting for the ETX subs is "Live" mode as the Music tends to limit a lot quicker.
Mr.Jace 1:01 AM - 28 June, 2015
Yeah the ekx18sp sounded like it will be better cleaner and louder in live mode.
Joee 2:37 PM - 28 June, 2015
nice review
JDforKing 2:51 PM - 28 June, 2015
I've used my ev elx115p on my last couple of gigs and i must say these speakers do not limit quickly (great observation). For what i paid for them i see them as a great value ($800 for the pair). I do have other set ups but these have become nice assets to my collection.
Mr.Jace 8:26 PM - 28 June, 2015
I just got back from GC. I tested the subs again with a mackie mixer this time. Ekx18sp vs kw181. I have the qsc in deep mode for this test because in normal mode, the qsc sounded punchy with very little deepness, deep mode the sub sounds like what a sub should sound. Yesterdays test the EV can not hang with the Qsc in music mode due to the limiter blinking early and the qsc just ran over it output wise. Qsc never limited. Ev sounds fuller and thicker in music mode, it sounds better than qsc. Now, Today I tested these subs again but this time I had the EV in live mode. Now the Ev can get louder, not quite as thick as music mode, but live mode the bass just sounded cleaner. I cranked both subs in mono with one sub on left channel, other sub on the right. Qsc was on deep at unity and ekx18sp at unity 100 hz crossed in live mode. Played some pop, dance music. Both subs now sounds almost the same. Qsc sounded a little deeper. I slowly brought the volume up, and surprisingly the Ev was now somewhat able to keep up with the qsc. Qsc was hitting lower while Ev sounded overall better. Volumed pushed harder, and the Ev started limiting again but it was loud. Qsc didn't limit at all. The GC Sales guy ran in and told me to turn it down, I was disturbing other costumers and other salemen can't hear over incoming phone calls . So my test had to stop. Lol . Output wise, kw181 wins. Sound quality I have to say ekx18sp wins. Build quality, qsc hands down wins because the ev ekx18sp has a cheap feel to it the way its built. Control knob wiggles a bit like its loose. Seems like it can break off easy if you bump it during loading and unloading, where as the qsc has a heavy duty feel to its control volume and switches. Ev is lighter at 72 pounds vs the qsc weighing at 88 pounds. The size, kw181 and ekx18sp box size is the same height, same width, with the qsc only being one inch longer in depth (without the caster on qsc). So, it is safe to say the ev ekx18sp is now the new king of being the most portable powered 18 sub on the market. Price? Ev is $999 and Qsc is $1399. Overall, the Ev is a better value, if money is not an issue, I would personally chose the kw181 because its been proven to be reliable. Hope this helps.
desmorider 10:16 PM - 28 June, 2015
Don't jnow if this is the case on the ekx line but it seems that the limit indicator on the speaker is a pre clip, and you should be able to push it harder before actual clip.
desmorider 11:04 PM - 28 June, 2015
Jnow=know
Mr.Jace 11:06 PM - 28 June, 2015
Quote:
Don't jnow if this is the case on the ekx line but it seems that the limit indicator on the speaker is a pre clip, and you should be able to push it harder before actual clip.

Yes, there is two different limit signs on the ekx, lower case letter limit indicates a warning that you are close to the actual limiting if you turn the volume up any louder. If you see LIMIT in capital big bold lettering in the dsp means its hitting the real limit. Just like the zlx line. My cell phone made the ekx sub blink the lower case limit, made it flicker only a few times. Today with a mixer, I made the ekx sub LIMIT where as the kw181 was able to get louder, i didnt see the limit blink on the qsc. At that time of testing, GC sales guy came and fussed at me to turn it down. Ekx can get loud only in live mode. Music mode the limiter was much more sensitive. Club mode to me its just a worthless setting. I didnt get to look at the elx vs ekx for a second test, the GC somewhat put me in a bad mood the way he got excited with me
Mr.Jace 11:29 PM - 28 June, 2015
Elx vs ekx tops i didnt get to test again. salesman got on my nerves the way I was approached. When I was able to get the limit warning to flicker with my cell phone, the sub was set on music or club mode. Not live, live setting will give you best sound and volume. I think the music and club setting is over processed with bass.
eric5323 12:01 AM - 29 June, 2015
I know firsthand that the KW181 will also limit when the DSP is set to "deep" more easily than in normal mode. I used to get around this by EQ-ing the 20-60 Hz range up a few decibels. Same effect on the dance floor but the limit lights wouldn't be flashing. I'm certain the same could be done with the EV line. Just look at the deficiencies in the lower end of the freq response graph in "live" mode and EQ in small increments.

i.imgur.com <--Graph for EKX-18...I'd keep it in live and EQ up the 20-70 Hz range, but that's me. Forget anything above your crossover point. Probably 100 Hz? Looking at that graph, club mode is outrageous!
DJ NoNseNse 6:14 AM - 30 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, there is two different limit signs on the ekx, lower case letter limit indicates a warning that you are close to the actual limiting if you turn the volume up any louder. If you see LIMIT in capital big bold lettering in the dsp means its hitting the real limit. Just like the zlx line. My cell phone made the ekx sub blink the lower case limit, made it flicker only a few times. Today with a mixer, I made the ekx sub LIMIT where as the kw181 was able to get louder, i didnt see the limit blink on the qsc. At that time of testing, GC sales guy came and fussed at me to turn it down. Ekx can get loud only in live mode. Music mode the limiter was much more sensitive. Club mode to me its just a worthless setting. I didnt get to look at the elx vs ekx for a second test, the GC somewhat put me in a bad mood the way he got excited with me

I got a chance to demo both at my store and me and my other coworker both agree that the ekx18sp is the better option. Btw I think any employee would of done the same thing. It can be very disturbing to customers and employees to play it very loud in the store. It's best to have an employee in charge of it during non peak hours.
DJ NoNseNse 6:18 AM - 30 June, 2015
I was playing ekx18sp pretty loud and it wasn't clipping so you must of had it really loud. I think you should look into the etx18sp. That might fit your needs.
Mr.Jace 3:34 PM - 30 June, 2015
Quote:
I was playing ekx18sp pretty loud and it wasn't clipping so you must of had it really loud. I think you should look into the etx18sp. That might fit your needs.

When you turned up the ekx18sp, did you have it on live mode? I know the live setting, it gets loud. It keeps up with the qsc and the EV sounded better. With my experience, the music mode made the bass sounded distorted, specially in club mode, but that's just how I heard it. I know everybody hears differently
Mr.Jace 3:43 PM - 30 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I got a chance to demo both at my store and me and my other coworker both agree that the ekx18sp is the better option. Btw I think any employee would of done the same thing. It can be very disturbing to customers and employees to play it very loud in the store. It's best to have an employee in charge of it during non peak hours.

Yeah, I got a little carried away. Just for the record, I made the sub limit, not clip. I would never allow myself to risk damaging speakers. ;-)
desmorider 8:54 PM - 30 June, 2015
Quote:

So,
Do you work at GC?
Dj Mcwhite 2:12 PM - 1 July, 2015
Had been using my Zlx's wrong for a long time, just found out months ago about setting them in live mode instead. How bad is it to run them into the first limit indicator?
DJ NoNseNse 2:12 PM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

So,
Do you work at GC?

Yup
Mr.Jace 3:48 PM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
Had been using my Zlx's wrong for a long time, just found out months ago about setting them in live mode instead. How bad is it to run them into the first limit indicator?

Zlx should be ok only if the pre limit warning is flickering. The clip indicator is what you don't want to see. That will damage speakers, even amps.
DJAndrewYates 6:08 PM - 7 August, 2015
This is interesting with the 'Live' mode discussion on these subs. I actually though it sounded really nice in music mode at the events I've used it at this far. I'm going to take it tonight and take a video of it in all three modes - checking the output. I know 'Club' mode is outrageous, and 'Live' mode does seem to support more headroom so let's look at it!

BTW, as of today 8.7.15 these EKX18-SP's are on sale for $799 on Amazon.com
Discobee 6:33 PM - 7 August, 2015
^^ Oh snap I'll need to look at this, thanks
Discobee 6:45 PM - 7 August, 2015
Just bought one thanks for the heads up DJ AndrewYates! $789, free 2-day shipping and no interest for 12months. Woooooooooza!
DJAndrewYates 8:57 AM - 9 August, 2015
The sub was in a location where I couldn't video it like I wanted to, but I did try all three DSP modes on the same track (Pryda-Rebel XX) in a real life club setting Friday night. Indeed, "LIVE" mode surpassed my expectations. I was way off track to not try it earlier or pay close attention to the graphs. The EKX18-SP is officially in the LOUD category at this point. Without rambling on too much, just set these things in "LIVE" mode fellow users, you won't regret it. Wow - I mean it's no LS801P, but I'm impressed and looking for a second one for sure.
Mr.Jace 4:12 PM - 9 August, 2015
;-) I know huh!!! That's my review. Live mode gives you a flat even loud natural sound. Music sounds good too but a little hifi for my taste. Live mode will give you the most from this sub. I'm happy you like your sub.
Joee 4:16 PM - 9 August, 2015
Quote:
The sub was in a location where I couldn't video it like I wanted to, but I did try all three DSP modes on the same track (Pryda-Rebel XX) in a real life club setting Friday night. Indeed, "LIVE" mode surpassed my expectations. I was way off track to not try it earlier or pay close attention to the graphs. The EKX18-SP is officially in the LOUD category at this point. Without rambling on too much, just set these things in "LIVE" mode fellow users, you won't regret it. Wow - I mean it's no LS801P, but I'm impressed and looking for a second one for sure.

seems like this my be the new budget sub to beat? it can be had for under $800 new ,not bad based off of your review……looks like they learned from the elx118p
DJAndrewYates 8:17 AM - 10 August, 2015
I don't know where that $799 price came from for a few days on Amazon, it's $899 now, and will likely be back at $999 soon. Wondering if EV has pushed this current sale of the 18's to get some buzz going around. The fact you can get two of them for under $2000 for how they sound is impressive.
Joee 12:03 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
I don't know where that $799 price

i never pay retail ……i can get it new under 8
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:52 PM - 10 August, 2015
#Nobodycares

lmao.
Joee 12:56 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
#Nobodycares

lmao.

why you be lying so much? you know damn well everyone like to save money
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:58 PM - 10 August, 2015
#Nobodybelievesyou.
Joee 1:04 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
#Nobodybelievesyou.

you be lying……….let me see $220 + tax thats what you paid, thanks to me you took that back & got it for $165

so what did you save upwards of $60+ dollars? yeah you don't believe me….hahaha, fyi i paid $125…..haahaha

you be lying!!!!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:13 PM - 10 August, 2015
#Nobodybelievesyou
#ProfessionalSuggestionbox
#NoReceipts
Joee 1:17 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
#Nobodybelievesyou
#ProfessionalSuggestionbox
#NoReceipts

if i told you the price i got on a single ekx18sp you really wouldn't believe me…hahaha

i have all my receipts man……lmao
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:38 PM - 10 August, 2015
lmao @ "If I told you"...

#Nobodyisasking
#Nobodycares
#Nobodybelievesyou.
Joee 2:54 PM - 10 August, 2015
"Nobodycares"

says the guy that keeps responding……..lmao

FYI, when people don't care they pay no mind

Quote:
DJAndrewYates 4:17 AM - 10 August, 2015 "I don't know where that $799 price came from"

Joee 8:03 AM - 10 August, 2015 "i never pay retail ……i can get it new under 8"

funny how i was speaking to someone else but you just had to respond with

Quote:
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:52 AM - 10 August, 2015 #Nobodycares lmao.

why? if i was speaking to someone else? please carry on #Nobodycares your FEE MALE side is starting to show….lmao
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:09 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:

Oh, now you wanna get all "Misty" because of a statement I didn't even QUOTE you on? lol.

Hey, if you're so into your feelings that you think EVERYTHING I respond to has to do with you, then enjoy yourself...lmao.

It's funny how stuff I do here ONLINE causes cats to go OFFLINE and do things....like go to Hawaii and buy cars for their wives....lmao.

#Desparateforinternetbuddies
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:12 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:

Oh my, well here's an example!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do rich, spoiled kids with $7000 worth of frontend DJ equipment never even read their manuals?

LOL

You really think they do? Come on your not that ill informed are you?

Oh, quite the opposite...

There are QUITE A FEW out there who "Don't read the manual" and are proud of it....

WORD!

i bought my wife a new car saturday……. neither one of us even looked @ the owners manual

going to trade my ride in for a acura next week……i do not plan on looking @ the owners manual on that one neither

#EarlyMorningCOM-MO-DEE
Joee 3:16 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, now you wanna get all "Misty" because of a statement I didn't even QUOTE you on? lol.

Hey, if you're so into your feelings that you think EVERYTHING I respond to has to do with you, then enjoy yourself...lmao.

It's funny how stuff I do here ONLINE causes cats to go OFFLINE and do things....like go to Hawaii and buy cars for their wives....lmao.

you typed all that?

Quote:
FYI, when people don't care they pay no mind

Quote:
Quote:

Oh my, well here's an example!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do rich, spoiled kids with $7000 worth of frontend DJ equipment never even read their manuals?

LOL

You really think they do? Come on your not that ill informed are you?

Oh, quite the opposite...

There are QUITE A FEW out there who "Don't read the manual" and are proud of it....

WORD!

i bought my wife a new car saturday……. neither one of us even looked @ the owners manual

going to trade my ride in for a acura next week……i do not plan on looking @ the owners manual on that one neither

#EarlyMorningCOM-MO-DEE

so you all moody cause i was agreeing with you this nice fine day?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:42 PM - 10 August, 2015
#Nobodycares
#ProfessionalNobody
#LMAO
Discobee 4:48 PM - 10 August, 2015
Fellaz I just refunded the EKX I purchased from Amazon for $789 (it had not ship out yet) and got a brand new one from ProAudioStar in Brooklyn, NY for $699 free shipping and no tax (outside of NY). Saved even more $$ on the EKX!
Joee 4:54 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
Fellaz I just refunded the EKX I purchased from Amazon for $789 (it had not ship out yet) and got a brand new one from ProAudioStar in Brooklyn, NY for $699 free shipping and no tax (outside of NY). Saved even more $$ on the EKX!

good buy dude……

Quote:
i never pay retail ……i can get it new under 8

well under 8 ……lol
Mr.Jace 5:26 PM - 10 August, 2015
Wow, I wonder what kind of deal someone can get for an ekx15sp?
Joee 5:28 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
Wow, I wonder what kind of deal someone can get for an ekx15sp?

under 7
JDforKing 5:33 PM - 10 August, 2015
I wonder what's the reason for the price drop. I'm thinking it has something to do with the $100 rebate ev is offering on ekx stuff august 1st-31st. It seems proaudiostar is applying that rebate to their already discounted prices.
Joee 5:34 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
I wonder what's the reason for the price drop. I'm thinking it has something to do with the $100 rebate ev is offering on ekx stuff august 1st-31st. It seems proaudiostar is applying that rebate to their already discounted prices.

no price drop, at least i don't think so i got pricing on these boxes before they shipped
JDforKing 5:35 PM - 10 August, 2015
i saw the 699 listing for the ekx18sp on eBay but realized its not an upgrade to my jbl prx718s, more of a lateral move. It's tempting because that seems like an incredible deal.
Joee 5:36 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
i saw the 699 listing for the ekx18sp on eBay but realized its not an upgrade to my jbl prx718s, more of a lateral move. It's tempting because that seems like an incredible deal.

what about pricing on the jbl? if you can get two ev's for the price of one jbl

than ev would defiantly be the way to go
JDforKing 5:41 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I already have two of the jbl prx718s(www.jblpro.com).
This is the older model before the xlf. It was only in production for about a year. I don't use them often but i'm about to start. I did a wedding reception of about 200 people with 1 and 2 yamaha dxr8s and it sounds better than my yamaha dxs12s coupled. I'll still use the dxs12s for smaller weddings or get rid of them and get the ev ekx15sp of the jbl prx715xlf.
JDforKing 5:42 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I already have two of the jbl prx718s(www.jblpro.com).
This is the older model before the xlf. It was only in production for about a year. I don't use them often but i'm about to start. I did a wedding reception of about 200 people with 1 and 2 yamaha dxr8s and it sounds better than my yamaha dxs12s coupled. I'll still use the dxs12s for smaller weddings or get rid of them and get the ev ekx15sp of the jbl prx715xlf.

*or
Joee 5:54 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
This is the older model before the xlf. It was only in production for about a year. I don't use them often but i'm about to start. I did a wedding reception of about 200 people with 1 and 2 yamaha dxr8s and it sounds better than my yamaha dxs12s coupled

same here, back when i was using two zxa1 subs the one 15" rcf sub 705-as sounded better than the two ev 12"

i will be buying some rcf gear tomorrow, question i keep asking myself, do i get two evox 12 with two 15" subs?

or do i get one 18" sub 8004?

but than again, if i change my car ……i will most defiantly get the smaller 15" i'm looking @ a TLX not 18" sub friendly……..lol
DJ Guayo 10:26 PM - 10 August, 2015
8004 Joee... lol
Joee 10:41 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
8004 Joee... lol

i'm going to the acura dealer tomorrow ….if i leave with a new TLX than evox 12 it will be for me……lol

come on witch would you rather drive? this #1 www.us.all.biz or this #2 topautospeed.com ??????
Discobee 7:55 PM - 7 September, 2015
Took my 1 EKX 18" sub out for some recent weddings these past two weekends. I will confidently say this subwoofer beats the QSC KW181 (yes I have heard the QSC and have owned 2 before). The bass was deeeep and resonated far and was tickling my entire body with certain songs that I played. Don't need more than one for weddings.....I never went higher than -10dB on the sub's gain and it was so friggin' loud and satisfying. (major hotel chain ballroom with tall ceilings). My DJ friend who helped me was also pleasantly pleased at how a little sub like that can produce such incredible deep low low bottom. Best $700 sub currently out there.

Buy it, you will not regret it.
GNB 5:43 PM - 1 October, 2017
Advise please : clearest, deepest, best quality bass folks, "music" or "live" on the EV EKX-18SP. I receive mine next week. I do not DJ but will be using it in a large family & music room with 2 x DBR-10s Yamahas on tripods most of the time. I also do some light gigging in the year, it will be used for a pa system with the Yamaha's for an older light rock band from time to time in small venues like banquet halls. I am not looking for loud, just nice warm bass with lots of depth. I am thinking setting the sub on "live", with back settings of -10db, 100hz crossover, that's about it. "club" mode is not being considered. Comments would be appreciated. Lots of very good reviews on the EV EKX-18SP, that was the reason I went for it. Thanks ! GNB
dj_soo 7:51 PM - 1 October, 2017
Music mode sounds better than live imo. That said, just flip through the settings and choose what you like best.
GNB 8:48 PM - 1 October, 2017
perfect, thanks ! Also, I saw something on the Internet today. My EKX-18SP will be primarily used for the most part, in a 1,000 detached bungalow, which is a multi-purpose building with my home-office and a Family Room for music. I know the EKX is overkill for this size of room but I will also gig with it too as part of a pa system. Placement of the sub in this room is getting confusing. Some say centre between the 2 speakers on tripods, others say in the corner. I just came across a video which also said to elevate the sub off the floor and place it on a small stand like 25"x25" to get it off the floor. The sub will essentially be on a wood frame floor, just like in a house, and apparently, some of the bass will be absorbed through the wood floor which is covered by broadloom. By elevating the sub off the floor, say on a small platform on small legs, maybe 3-4" off the floor, it will produce better bass. Now, I am totally confused. The building is 25 x 40 rectangular and my speaker set up is on one 25' end wall. What would be the best set-up for the sub; in the centre ? in a corner ? placed on a small stand to get it off the floor ? surely the DJ's on the forum have had to deal with speaker positioning for the best results, I could sure use some advise on where to put the sub in my music room for the best results. GNB
dj_soo 9:42 PM - 1 October, 2017
Move it around and see what sounds best.

You get more volume with boundary reinforcement (I.e. corner loading) but it depending on the shape of your room, it can sound uneven. Centre placement works best for dancefloors imo because it allows the greatest amount of "feel" for the dancers.
GNB 10:15 PM - 1 October, 2017
Ever heard of elevating the sub off a wood floor ? Might be an idea. For instance a small back yard wedding might require the DJ to set up on a wood platform or on a wood deck. Wouldn't the wood absorb some of the bass ? I think a corner is probably best for my room but now I am wondering if placing the sub on a small stand (which I could easily build) to get it off the floor might make a difference. Geez. Some may have read on this forum that I bought a Yamaha 15 sub with band pass design. Not too happy with it overall. Loud yes but low bass ain't great. Oh well my son can use it in his band. I hope the EV EKX 18SP has much better reproduction in the low end. GNB
dj_soo 7:31 AM - 2 October, 2017
Elevating might give you a bit of a cleaner sound at the cost of volume.

EKX18SP goes down to about 40 at -3 so at quieter volumes, you'll probably get deeper lows at moderate volume than if you were blasting it at a show trying to cover 100 people.

The Yamaha sub is a bandpass design which tends to sacrifice frequency smoothness for volume. The byproduct is that it tends to be much louder in a very narrow frequency range and peter out when you go beyond that range.
GNB 10:33 AM - 2 October, 2017
Deep bass just isn't there with the 15 Yamaha. So I get the Ekx 18sp this week. Thank you very much DJ soo you have been very helpful. I think the new sub will go in the corner. I see you are in Vancouver, beautiful city, been there many times. GNB
dj_soo 3:47 AM - 3 October, 2017
where you from?

I was considering the EKX18SP for a while but opted for the Cerwin Vega CVX18S just because I got a fantastic deal on it and am considering a 2nd.

The jury is still out on the reliability or longevity of it, but they sound great and have some good output from the one gig I've used it on so far.

I've never head the EKX18SP, but the ETX15SP sounded fantastic to me and I would have gone that route if I could fit a pair in my car.
GNB 1:49 PM - 3 October, 2017
Thunder Bay Ontario buddy. I have family on Vancouver Island. I saw your web site. You are definitely hard core in the music business. I am retired now but love music. Had a rock band in Toronto for years while doing my university program. Cheers ! GNB
GNB 2:30 PM - 3 October, 2017
The Yamaha 15 is definitely loud but lacking in bottom. Oh well my son can use it. Decided on the Ekx18SP from its ratings and specs. Never had EV equipment but many out there have and like the product. ETX 18 is for the pros it would be a monster for me and I didn't want a small sub for my pa use in banquet halls. . I thought the EKX18SP would be perfect and it is a new generation speaker. Use it at low volume in my building and can move it around on my utility cart for gigs. I listen to light jazz and chillin out lounge music during the day this genre usually goes nice and low. I want clear warm bass reproduction from satellite radio 90% of the time but also a sub for gigs that's the reason I did not just want a hifi type living room sub. I already have a high end Bose surround system in my home.
GNB 10:17 PM - 3 December, 2017
I would like to upgrade my DBR 10 Yamaha’s to either ELX 12 or EKX 12s to go with the EKX 18 sub I now have. I am looking for high quality sound reproduction mainly, not necessarily loud because gigging will only be intermittent in a small band. Question: is there a substantial difference in these 2 models to warrant the additional expense ? Also, does the ELX 12 have a fan ? Thanks ! Is there that much difference between 1200 watts vs 1500 watts ?
eugguy 2:23 AM - 4 December, 2017
Used a pair of ekx 12p’s and a ekx 15sp powered subwoofer last night. It was a perfect combo, and played plenty loud and had very good sound quality.
GNB 3:16 AM - 4 December, 2017
I guess I was referring to the ELX 200 12 inch vs EKX 12. One is $749 each the other is $899 each in Canada. There is $300.00 for 2 between the models. 1200 watts vs 1500 watts. I am looking at sound quality, not necessarily loud. Is it worth another $300 for the Ekx speakers ?
eugguy 7:43 PM - 4 December, 2017
Yes, absolutely. A step-up in quality from the elx to the ekx. In sound output as well as quality at higher spls.
GNB 8:50 PM - 4 December, 2017
thank you for that. I guess that the additional expense is worth it. I also wanted to not mix the manufacturer. I already have the EKX-18sp sub and it was well worth the price. Absolutely beautiful low warm bass. The EKX-12's will be next on the list to complete the package, I can sell the Yamaha DBR-10s locally. Cheers. GNB
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 9:29 AM - 5 December, 2017
Hi Gnb, I have the ekx12p’s and ekx18sp and like u love the sound.

For live sound and not DJ a party, that setup is almost limitless. Indoors. Although did a few outdoor gigs for 250 parents and friends of a daycare and was surprised with the long throw they had.

Inside te house I’m sure u won’t be able to turn them up much though.

Good luck with the 12s
GNB 2:23 PM - 5 December, 2017
Thank you for the great comments especially when you have the set-up I would be getting. Mostly inside use but I do play in a small band too and have done outdoor venues, that’s why I wanted some power too. The EKX are getting favourable reviews. The ELX can probably handle things well but for the added expense, I like the idea of an internal fan and I read that a wood cabinet has better tone vs a molded cabinet. Perfect. Thanks very much. No doubt if I wait, the next generation of speakers will be 3000 watts each but 1500 watts should be more than adequate for me 👍 thanks again. GNB
GNB 3:55 PM - 5 December, 2017
Next generation might have a new model EV TNT's, Stihl ear plugs come with the cover charge at the door and flack jackets available for rumble. at least if men have anything to do with the design and specifications. Always bigger and better then the last models. LOL, cheers !
Culprit 3:19 AM - 7 December, 2017
drive.google.com

This is my current dillema at the moment.

The cost of 4 stacks + a qsc amp at 2 ohm stable vs 2 stacks kw153 w/ kw181
Culprit 3:20 AM - 7 December, 2017
also, those figures dont include tax, and could be off, so correct me if im wrong

left side stacks are QSC right side stack is YAMAHA W/ QSC AMP