Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Final Cut Pro X and 23.976 fps

popnwave 8:37 PM - 23 June, 2015
Am I missing something or does everyone else have issues with their stuff looking less than smooth when editing footage at the frame rate? 24/25/30/60 I have no issues with..
popnwave 10:04 PM - 25 June, 2015
the joys of reddit, helped me dial it down to needing it to come in as 25fps. so i did the frame rate conversion in MPEG StreamClip from 23.976 -> 25fps and no more jerkiness.
djpuma_gemini 4:28 PM - 26 June, 2015
Why would you bump up the fps from 23.976 to 25fps. If the source is 23.976 then your output should be 23.976.
popnwave 8:07 PM - 26 June, 2015
Quote:
Why would you bump up the fps from 23.976 to 25fps. If the source is 23.976 then your output should be 23.976.

Hehe, do you use FCPX?

It only allows 23.98 which for some reason really messes with editing without frame issues.

imgur.com

imgur.com

And then when you export, even if you tell it to LEAVE the fps alone, MediaInfo will report it as being an odd 25fps. Which looks like crap. It's an odd quirk and people using Premiere don't seem to have that issue.
djpuma_gemini 9:09 PM - 26 June, 2015
Hmm, that's odd. Figured 24p would work for it.
popnwave 9:12 PM - 26 June, 2015
Quote:
Hmm, that's odd. Figured 24p would work for it.

Yeah I may go troll the Apple support forums and see if there is some magic trick to it. Luckily with progressive video you don't get nearly the nastiness you did with frame rate conversion like you did with interlaced stuff (a la PAL to NTSC and vice versa).
DJMark 1:51 PM - 29 June, 2015
I've been using FCPX for editing for close to a year now, and I'm not seeing issues with 23.976fps videos. I just checked the last edit I did, and I get:

H.264, 854 × 480, 23.976 fps, 3.62 Mbps

Audio Tracks:
MPEG-4 Audio stereo, 44.1 kHz, 320 kbps

This was an edit/remaster of Destiny's Child "Say My Name", which I IVTC'ed from their "The Platinum Is On The Wall" DVD. It has a scene with slow horizontal movement of furniture at around 1:20 in, and I'm not seeing any jerkiness there.

Just in case anyone wonders about it, I have it at 854x480 because I've recently started doing border-fill for 4x3 videos that I like better than Mix Emergency's "blur".

I've always assumed that Apple was just displaying the rounded "23.98" but actually setting 23.976 when that rate is chosen.

Checked a few other recent 23.976 edits I've done, they all come up as "23.976" in MPEG Streamclip and I'm not seeing any apparent frame-rate issues.

The version of FCPX I'm using is 10.2.1.

A couple questions: when you create a new project, are you setting the video properties manually, or using "Set based on first clip"? (I always set properties manually). And what video codec are you using for editing (I use ProRes 4444).
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:38 PM - 29 June, 2015
I encode at 23.9 mostly.

I thought the Max recommended for optimum performance is 25 for ME with the GPU thingy.

Is there a reason why one will chose say 24/25 over 23.9?

I'm new to this.

I use Handbrake and FCP.

The settings are determined by FCP. Handbrake just compresses it further. I tried using compressor but it takes super long to make a video.

I've tried Mpegstreamclip but I decided to stick with Handbrake.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:39 PM - 29 June, 2015
Sometimes I see glitches when playing but I just assume this to be a resource thing. Say I'm scratching or using FX
DJMark 8:33 PM - 29 June, 2015
Correct procedure is normally to edit and/or encode at whatever the frame-rate of the source material is.

The main exception to that is IVTC-ing (interlaced) 29.97fps video to 23.976 (progressive). That (if done correctly) is actually just recovering the original frame-rate of the source material.

But in general, actually changing the frame rate of videos is a bad terrible idea, and is in fact a likely cause of the "glitches when playing".
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:11 PM - 29 June, 2015
Thanks DJMark.

Is Frame Rate different from Key Frames?

www.inklen.com

Quote:
Video Compression Guidelines
It is impossible to give a compression setting that satisfies all users, as factors such as computer performance, desired output dimensions and the desired level of compression artefacts are different for each user. Finding an optimal compression setting for your videos may initially involve some experimentation using different formats and compressions presets to determine the optimal settings for your computer.

A few key areas of compression will help with the performance of MixEmergency. Video should be compressed with keyframes every 12 to 25 frames. Longer distances between keyframes will result in a lot of unnecessary decoding, and can degrade the performance of MixEmergency.

The dimensions of the compressed image will depend on the performance of your computer and the output device that you intend on displaying to. For most situations 640 x 480 (or 640 x 360 for wide-screen) will be sufficient. If you experience poor performance, you may need to recompress your video at decreased dimensions.

It is recommended that you compress your video as h.264 video in a mov or mp4 container..
popnwave 1:12 AM - 30 June, 2015
Quote:
I've been using FCPX for editing for close to a year now, and I'm not seeing issues with 23.976fps videos. I just checked the last edit I did, and I get:

H.264, 854 × 480, 23.976 fps, 3.62 Mbps

Audio Tracks:
MPEG-4 Audio stereo, 44.1 kHz, 320 kbps

This was an edit/remaster of Destiny's Child "Say My Name", which I IVTC'ed from their "The Platinum Is On The Wall" DVD. It has a scene with slow horizontal movement of furniture at around 1:20 in, and I'm not seeing any jerkiness there.

Just in case anyone wonders about it, I have it at 854x480 because I've recently started doing border-fill for 4x3 videos that I like better than Mix Emergency's "blur".

I've always assumed that Apple was just displaying the rounded "23.98" but actually setting 23.976 when that rate is chosen.

Checked a few other recent 23.976 edits I've done, they all come up as "23.976" in MPEG Streamclip and I'm not seeing any apparent frame-rate issues.

The version of FCPX I'm using is 10.2.1.

A couple questions: when you create a new project, are you setting the video properties manually, or using "Set based on first clip"? (I always set properties manually). And what video codec are you using for editing (I use ProRes 4444).

I'll try converting some of the questionable material to ProRes 23.976 - and i've tried both methods when creating new projects in FCPX, manual and auto detect (thinking it knew something I didn't).

I'll try a few old files I have shelved for a while as I hunted for replacement audio.
popnwave 1:13 AM - 30 June, 2015
Quote:
Thanks DJMark.

Is Frame Rate different from Key Frames?

www.inklen.com

Quote:
Video Compression Guidelines
It is impossible to give a compression setting that satisfies all users, as factors such as computer performance, desired output dimensions and the desired level of compression artefacts are different for each user. Finding an optimal compression setting for your videos may initially involve some experimentation using different formats and compressions presets to determine the optimal settings for your computer.

A few key areas of compression will help with the performance of MixEmergency. Video should be compressed with keyframes every 12 to 25 frames. Longer distances between keyframes will result in a lot of unnecessary decoding, and can degrade the performance of MixEmergency.

The dimensions of the compressed image will depend on the performance of your computer and the output device that you intend on displaying to. For most situations 640 x 480 (or 640 x 360 for wide-screen) will be sufficient. If you experience poor performance, you may need to recompress your video at decreased dimensions.

It is recommended that you compress your video as h.264 video in a mov or mp4 container..

Yessir, key frames are like little reference points inside the MP4 file. The frame rate is just how many frames per second are displayed on the screen.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:51 AM - 30 June, 2015
@popnwave

Thanks.
DJMark 10:05 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
I'll try converting some of the questionable material to ProRes 23.976

What format were you using before (when seeing issues with 23.976)?

And has using ProRes fixed it?
popnwave 11:40 PM - 4 July, 2015
It was still in an MP4 container at the time, sometimes when labels send me crap it's off their portal with a .mov extension but it's still mpeg-4 according to MediaInfo. They are usually 300-600MB in size depending on resolution and length. Rarely they will let me get my hands on a proper ProRes but those are still so huge comparatively.
DJMark 2:33 AM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
It was still in an MP4 container at the time, sometimes when labels send me crap it's off their portal with a .mov extension but it's still mpeg-4 according to MediaInfo. They are usually 300-600MB in size depending on resolution and length. Rarely they will let me get my hands on a proper ProRes but those are still so huge comparatively.

Just convert to ProRes before editing, I'd be shocked if you noticed any degradation and I bet that fixes the problem you described.