DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Stanton Str8 150 and DDj-SZ with Serato DJ

DjDash112 11:52 PM - 19 June, 2015
I'm looking to get 2 Stanton str8 150s and I'm wondering if I could just add them onto my SZ (4 channel controller) and use the built in mixer to control my 2 150s, with HID compatibility.

I looked at the hardware compatibility for serato dj and it doesn't show Stanton 150.
Does this mean that I can't use 150's with serato DJ?

What's the best 4 channel mixer that would work well with scratching a lot?
Thanks
Mighty Dragon Sounds 10:57 AM - 20 June, 2015
You can use the Stantons as regular turntables with Time Code vinyl just like you would a Technics 1200/1210 or CDJ 800s and 1000s.....

Its just like DVS mode.

A turntable is a turntable.... the only turntable now with built in functions that work natively with Serato is the Reloop RP 8000s but again, at its core its still a turntable. The only functions added are just the digital side.

So yes, you can add them, you will need to connect them to the SZ as if it was a regular mixer, use Time Code Vinyl on the Stantons and play away.... You won't be able to use HID since HID is mainly for the CDJ side of the house.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 10:59 AM - 20 June, 2015
Quote:

What's the best 4 channel mixer that would work well with scratching a lot?
Thanks

I hate scratching on 4 channel mixers..... but if I had a choice, I prefer the 900 series Pioneer or the Rane 64. Rane mixers are king when it comes to scratching IMO.

I hear Reloop has a few decent 4 channel mixers endorsed by DJ Angelo but again, I am not a fan of 4 channels when it comes to scratching. Too may things in the way.
DjDash112 7:19 PM - 28 June, 2015
Hey I appreciate it, I was just making sure before I made a purchase on new equipment
dj_soo 9:55 AM - 29 June, 2015
All DVS needs is the control tone so all you need is something that plays it.

You could conceivably record the control tone to cassette tapes and control serato with two walkmen.
DjDash112 10:51 PM - 30 June, 2015
Do i need a ground wire for these? I have them playing through phono right now an it plays tracks just fine but when i start scratching the track indication starts to turn red. Also when i back spin for an example, the track will buffer or lag/skip. Its bad
DjDash112 11:25 PM - 30 June, 2015
I think I have figured it out though. I am using control vinyl an had the tone arm balanced like I'm spinning real vinyl. I just moved the weight forward an its perfect now
dj_soo 11:26 PM - 30 June, 2015
stantons are self grounded. Anytime you scratch, the indicator will turn red - this is normal behavious
DjDash112 11:31 PM - 30 June, 2015
Yeah I turned on the little i button in serato and it told me it was normal. I started off on controllers so vinyl is a whole new ball game
DjDash112 11:44 PM - 30 June, 2015
What's the difference between side a/b on control vinyl. Side A is 10 and b is 15 minutes but I don't see the difference if Serato is holding the records an I don't have to readjust the needle
dj_soo 9:54 AM - 1 July, 2015
the A side has a separate ring at the end which can be used to scroll through your library. Pretty unnecessary if you have a controller like the SZ that has a built-in track select knob.

I usually stick with side b until it wears out.