Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

recording with serato

naturalflavour 12:53 PM - 11 June, 2015
hey im currently trying to digitalize my record collection.

i connect my serato to my lap top

i connect chinch cables from turntable to input 1 L/R

i connect input 1 L/R out to my mixer open serato and select thru to playback the input signal on my mixer

i open my DAW (reason) and select serato as an interface select input 1 and record the vinyl,
but since i have nothing determining the level of the input except the serato box i was wondering why and how serato decides how loud it will record my input signal.

because normally i use my interface to do it because my mixer is before the interface input so i can determain bass highs lows and how loud the input signal will be

i try to be as loud as possible not crossing 0db normally and listen to the record see where the loud parts are for example trumpets in jazz that are way much louder then the rest to adjust them to not peaking above 0 db but this makes the rest of the record less loud obviously.

so if i dont add anything to boost the income signal my serato records at around -25db to -4db rarely peaking to -1db

im wondering if this is too quite or what would you recommend doing differently. because normally i record my records louder, but i think its also cool to have them a little more quite with more headroom and i guess you could say have it on a constant level also with everything you record in general so that you dont record one record louder than another.

so how does seratobox decide how loud the loudest point of the input will be?

im using a technics 1210mk2 with those ortofon qbert special edition scratch needles and the weight for needle pressure is adjusted to around 2,5