DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

57 MKII audio delay?

DJ Doug Collins 6:45 PM - 23 May, 2015
Setup:
CDJ1000MK3 or 1200-M5G
Rane 57 MKII
Macbook Air (2015) w/ 8gb RAM

Just getting going with my 57MKII (Been using 57SL since day 1, so I'm not a newbie, I promise). Out of the box and after tweaking the latency to 2ms (1ms caused a drop out almost immediately), I still feel like there is a delay in audio when scratching and beatmatching on CDJs. I'm running a brand new Macbook Air with 8gb of RAM, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue. Just kind of curious what kind of settings you guys who are already doing gigs are using with your 57MK2, or seeing if anyone else is having the issue with a significant delay in audio. Thanks in advance.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:34 PM - 26 May, 2015
Hey Doug,

Although its not as imperative to calibrate when using CDJs I would still do it. That may be your issue. Also make sure the Master Tempo is turned OFF on the CDJs.
iamDjWahdo 1:43 AM - 28 May, 2015
Hey Doug. Hey Zach. I just purchased the 57MK2 about two weeks ago and used it at a gig this past weekend and experienced the same delay issue. I would get a perfect beat match in the headphones and as I go to mix in the track I discovered that on the output main it was slightly off. The actual visual display was off as well.
When I manually synced the mix and then put the headphones back on I noticed the slight delay was now in the headphones.
I spoke with Zach and set the latency to 2ms also but it seems to still be off slightly.
It doesnt seem like its going to be a quick fix so I guess I have to go back to my 56 for this weekends gigs.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:31 PM - 28 May, 2015
Hey Wahdo,

If you haven't already, please post your own help request so it gets in front of Serato.
If this is an issue it needs to get looked into by them.

DJ Doug Collins 7:17 PM - 28 May, 2015
I dropped mine to 2ms without any dropouts and what seemed to be less of a pronounced delay while using it at 2 club gigs this past weekend. The delay didn't seem to be as pronounced on a large system as it did in my studio area at home. I'm going to experiment some more.
DJ Doug Collins 7:33 PM - 28 May, 2015
Posted this in another post as well, but was curious to know if anyone else is having issues with exceptionally low headphone volume when compared to the 57SL. I have experimented with the bass/treble function on the control panel, which has helped a bit, but it still seems like I shouldn't have to be turning the headphones up to 10.
iamDjWahdo 2:05 PM - 30 May, 2015
I used the 57 MK2 last night at a gig again even though I vowed not to until the issue was resolved and I will say that at 2ms It was almost unnoticeable but I was still able to detect the delay.
The headphone issue I overlooked during the first couple of uses because I was overwhelmed with dealing with the delay issue but yes I had to pump up the volume knob high at times to get to a decent cue volume.
Going back to my 56 for now.
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:44 PM - 1 June, 2015
Yes.. the headphone amp isn't as loud as the original 57 but the headphone amp is plenty loud in the MKII. Turned all the way up its 120db of volume which will ruin your hearing.
If its not loud enough for you I would suggest purchasing an external headphone amp.
Or.. the better option.. turn down the monitors so the Cue volume isn't competing with them.
DJ Doug Collins 4:22 PM - 1 June, 2015
I did some adjusting with the treble and bass on the control panel and was able to keep the cue volume down to about 7 the other night without much issue, so that's good. I still, however, had a weird dropout issue in the middle of the night, albeit only once. It's kind of hard to explain. It seems as if a charge of electricity runs through the computer and/or mixer and I have to put it in internal mode then back to REL.

Someone mentioned elsewhere the Macbook Air runs such low voltage ("power management on steroids" was how they described it) that it may cause issues with latency. Know of anyone else having issues with Macbook Air by any chance?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:30 PM - 1 June, 2015
I have not heard of any issues with the MBA.
What happens when this "charge" goes through?
Do you still see a circle in the scope view in Setup and are you still getting close to 100% tracking (found in the lower right of the scope view)?
Prestoe 7:56 AM - 26 June, 2015
I'm amazed, i have read in a few places that the headphone vol is low on the 57mk2.

As an owner i personally can't turn mine up much past 3 without my ears almost blowing, i tried to get to 4 the other day and had to wind it back after 5-10 seconds.

I can't even fathom turning that knob to 10 man.. i'd say this is a hardware fault or your headphones suck.
dj Krazey leo 11:23 PM - 30 June, 2015
+1 i can't turn mine up either, maybe i also got lucky but so far my 57 mk2 has been plug and play after software install on a mbp early 2011 model .