Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

3 Monitors

DJ Marv the Maverick 6:36 PM - 20 May, 2015
Hi,
Im thinking of this set up
1. Main laptop screen - Showing Serato DJ
2. A 7inch monitor connected via HDMI/VGA/Thunderbolt www.amazon.co.uk - displaying the ME3 decks and/or displaying the main ME3 Output (for playing at clubs where i can see any screens)
3. The Club HD (connected via another Thunderbolt/HDMI/VGA) screen displaying the ME3 Output.

I find that having ME3's decks overlayed on my laptop obscures my serato library view.

Is this set up possible on a macbook?

Thanks
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:38 PM - 20 May, 2015
3. The Club HD screen (or series of screens)
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:12 PM - 20 May, 2015
Yup it's pretty much how I run my setup.

My laptop has Serato/ME on it,
I use a MyCinq usb screen (usually have Resolume placed there),
And then sometimes out to a TripleHead2Go with 3 projectors connect.
Code:E 12:52 AM - 21 May, 2015
Very possible. any Early 2013 15" macbook pro with a dedicated video card or newer and you will have zero issues.

What computer do you have now.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:36 AM - 21 May, 2015
I have the 2014 Model 15inch MBP with the 2gig video card, 16gig RAM, Serato DJ & ME.

I initially considered having a usb screen eg AOC or BENQ but i wasn't quite sure if this will be tasking to the computer so i went for a non usb solution (VGA/HDMI). The other con was i want everything to be ultra portable. I didn't want a screen bigger than an ipad.

I don't want to run another program eg Resolume.

I don't have the 7inch monitor yet. Its still in the post. But i messed about using my ipad as a 2nd external monitor. I simply dragged ME3 decks over to the 2nd ext display (i.e the Ipad).

Now i want both external displays connected separately two the macbook to show ME3 main (mixed) Output i.e what the audience will be seeing.

In ME controls i can only select one output display. What do i need to do get the 2nd external monitor to mirror the first external monitor?
Code:E 7:35 AM - 21 May, 2015
Wait you said you wanted 3 monitors.

1. was your laptops built in monitor,
2. Was where ME was going to be displayed
3. Was the output, to the venue's video system.

Did I miss something.
Code:E 7:40 AM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
In ME controls i can only select one output display. What do i need to do get the 2nd external monitor to mirror the first external monitor?

This is confusing me. I would like in more detail what EXACTLY you would bring with you to a gig.

Right now I figure you need; Your laptop, an external monitor(For displaying ME, your aiming ofr a small screen like a 7 inch), the rest of your DJ rig. Lastly depending on if the ME monitor connects to the HDMI or via a Mini Display ports (thunderbolt). So bring a little bag (i use pencil cases) with 2 of each mini DP to HDMI, mini DP to VGA. Always have 2, those stupid adaptors fail all the time.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:22 PM - 21 May, 2015
The set up i'm aiming for

1. Laptop's display displaying Serato DJ decks (as normal)

2. Small 7inch monitor (connected via HDMI/VGA directly to my laptop) to display either the ME decks or the Main Output of ME

3. Venues display showing ME main display (Connected via another VGA/HDMI cable/adapter directly to my laptop) i.e what the crowd will see.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:46 PM - 21 May, 2015
Yes you can do it.......but go with a MyCinq screen.
Code:E 12:19 AM - 22 May, 2015
Well you can use the 2 thunderbolt ports on you mac as monitor outs. So your good to go. I'm not sure what part your having troubles with?
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:53 AM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Well you can use the 2 thunderbolt ports on you mac as monitor outs. So your good to go. I'm not sure what part your having troubles with?

How do i get the two connected displays to show the main output of Mix Emergency? Note they are both connected to macbook pro via individual ports. So i can see three displays in my mac settings (2 external and the built in display).

In the Mix Emergency settings i can select only one display as the Main Output.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:56 AM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Yes you can do it.......but go with a MyCinq screen.

Any particular reason? I ve got a 19inch HD monitor at home which i can use too.

But i went for this generic 7inch screen for portability. It will still be easy to transport and wont add any weight. I just need a better screen i can quickly look at whilst mixing live.
Code:E 10:03 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Note they are both connected to macbook pro via individual ports.

You just said you where not doing that.

ME (the program) will be displayed on one output, and the other will be your output.

So when you said
Quote:
2. Small 7inch monitor (connected via HDMI/VGA directly to my laptop) to display either the ME decks or the Main Output of ME

Wait I read that again.... the "or" is an issue. It's either 1 or the other at the start of the night.

If you want ME (the program) on there you just tell me to output to the other monitor. If you too see the output full screen on both, you tell your mac to "mirror" the 2 external displays and have the ME program on your laptops monitor.

another option would be www.amazon.com or www.amazon.com

then you would just split the one output you are using to send to the clubs video system so you could have a preview monitor.

But I really don't know why you would do this at all. If you play with ME (which you should play with it lots it has tons of features that will take a while to learn) you can enlarge the output preview window. The rest of the ME controls are not that big. So you could just make the output preview half the screen or more and put the ME controls around it.
Code:E 10:47 PM - 22 May, 2015
Beyond that you next optio to get me to have mnore that one output is to add another piece fo software like resolume or mad mapper. You then syphon ME's output into one of those programs then use that program to output to anything you like.