DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Joystick Mapping should be #1 Priority

DJ Michael Basic 9:43 PM - 7 May, 2015
Just got my new 57 and I'm super not happy about the joystick setup.

I've had the 57mk1 since launch and since instant doubles were available, I've had the joystick set up so that I point the joystick on the deck I want to double to in the direction that I want to double. So if the song is on the right and I want it to go to the left, I push the joystick to the left.

I DJ on one turntable most of the time so I'm constantly using instant doubles in this fashion. I have years of muscle memory built up to do this. Now if I do this mid set, the music will stop because currently the function switches from int to rel, and if there's no turntable on the left side, there's nothing to drive relative mode.

I fear this means that until the functionality to map the joysticks is added, I won't be able to use the mixer. I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow night, but even one slip where the music stops, as a DJ, I'm sure you know, is not acceptable.

Overall I like the mixer, but this is really bad implementation. Not making something map-able that was map-able before defeats the purpose. The idea of this mixer is to have a familiar feeling upgrade. Scratch live is being discontinued and this mixer is meant to make serato DJ feel like scratch live...so an issue like this totally defeats the purpose.

Hope it gets fixed soon.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:11 AM - 8 May, 2015
Akiem where art thou?
boogiebears 8:20 AM - 8 May, 2015
+1!

..im experiencing the same exact thing.
AKIEM 11:08 PM - 8 May, 2015
+1
(Obviously)

:/
AKIEM 8:08 PM - 9 May, 2015
Bump
DJ Michael Basic 8:21 PM - 9 May, 2015
serato.com

Here's my review of the mixer after using it at a gig.
Djkom 12:36 PM - 10 May, 2015
I don't understand your concerns guys, in this picture (
dj.rane.com)
if your song is on the right (the turntable also) you can use the right joystick to put the song on the left by pushing it to the left, no ???
But in you used to use the left joystick to do it I can understand your trouble...you have to change a litle bit the way you mix with one turntable by using the joystick of the playing deck (which is the nearest and the more intuitive in my opinion...)

But I completely agree that generally all functions have to be remappable because every djs mix differently and it's not a big deal to implement!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:19 PM - 10 May, 2015
Currently to load the song onto the left deck, you use the left joystick BUT you push it to the right...

It should be left joystick, push left, in my opinion.

However, the library load button is on both side so you can still load/double up with that.
But I guess everyone is used to the TTM57 joystick and it make sense with the mapping request if you use it in your routine.

I just adapt :)
AKIEM 4:37 PM - 10 May, 2015
Quote:
I just adapt :)

Thats easy to say.

Ive had the same configuration for a good well over half a decade now. And I am comfortable, I dont want all the hassle of 'adapting' thats why I never purchased a 61/62 in the first place.

If Im going to 'adapt' it literally puts all other mixers up in the running for my next purchase.

I dont want to adapt because I developed a 'perfect' work flow. I do not plan on changing that work flow until SDJ has a *instant doubles launch matrix system for four+ decks*
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:11 PM - 10 May, 2015
That's why I said "my opinon" and "I"adapt.

Did not say everyone has to. :)
AKIEM 6:30 PM - 10 May, 2015
Quote:
That's why I said "my opinon" and "I"adapt.

Did not say everyone has to. :)

Sure, thats why I said I might adapt to a whole new mixer and even software at this point. I adapt too.

But I dont want to adapt to a 'lessor' (IMO) configuration.
DJ Michael Basic 10:46 PM - 10 May, 2015
The problem with saying "Just adapt" is that I stiff quite often run into ttm57mkI in the club. It's not an issue of relearning muscle memory. It's an issue of adding an extra layer of things to think about...where failure is catastrophic, as in, the music stops. I, and I'm sure most other DJs, play hundreds of songs in a given night, that's hundreds of chances for failure, and a single failure can result in the silence, which is the worst failure a DJ can face.

@ DJKom if you push the joystick on the right, it loads whatever is on the left deck to the right deck, not the other way around.

As far as the library load option...that only doubles if you're still highlighting the same song, which I'm usually not. I do a lot of quick mixing that requires moving through the library quickly.

That's the main problem here. Adding a layer of thought means slowing down my process. I'm not doing tricky shit all the time, but when I am, I don't want to have to worry that doing something Ive been doing for nearly a decade will suddenly cause the music to stop.
DJ Michael Basic 10:48 PM - 10 May, 2015
I bought the 57mkII specifically because if I'm being forced to move to Serato DJ, I want it to feel as much like the way I've been DJing as possible. Otherwise I'd have purchased a 62 or something.
djrob70 11:37 PM - 10 May, 2015
Quote:
+1!

..im experiencing the same exact thing.

+1
AKIEM 12:51 AM - 11 May, 2015
Also 'just adapting' means adapting to a LESS GOOD work flow.

I spent a LOOONG time developing the "perfect" work flow.

I am certainly not willing to just adapt to a less perfect workflow.

I am especially not willing to go back to loading by pressing on a knob. And instant doubling by pressing a knob again is just not going to happen.

I would much rather adapt to a whole new system.

I can adapt and play on a 62 here and there but there is no way I am willing permanently reintegrate problems I've already solved with a better work flow.

I wish we could get a confirmation this will be fixed so I can quit considering other options including other software.
jevo9 5:55 AM - 11 May, 2015
It's a shame fellas.... I was about to sell my 62 but will wait until the second batch comes in with all these issues fixed.
Djkom 2:15 PM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
I don't understand your concerns guys, in this picture (
dj.rane.com)
if your song is on the right (the turntable also) you can use the right joystick to put the song on the left by pushing it to the left, no ???
But in you used to use the left joystick to do it I can understand your trouble...you have to change a litle bit the way you mix with one turntable by using the joystick of the playing deck (which is the nearest and the more intuitive in my opinion...)

But I completely agree that generally all functions have to be remappable because every djs mix differently and it's not a big deal to implement!

My BAD!!!! I've just bought the 57mk2 and I see the problem now to instant double the left desck to the right deck you have to use the right joystick SHIT!!!!

So the joystick HAS to be remappable or at least fix this inst dbl !!!!!!!

By the way, here are my first concerns:
1. In my memories, the channel swap on the old 57mk1 also change the control deck, no? I mean when you control the left deck with the left turntable and then press channel swap, the left turntable should control the right deck afterwards, no ??
2. The slip mode activation without any activation feedback on the mixer is quite annoying ! Since the joystick are very sensitive, you could activate the slip mode by accident...
3. Changing the mode from cue to sample, also change the mode in my AKAI AFX and vice versa ! So I cannot use the mixer in the sample mode only and my AKAI AFX in the other modes....
4. No really a concern but it would be good to have some useful feedbacks on a mini screen (let's say where the previous vu leds were in the 57mk1 between the line faders) that show the loop length, the current fx, the slip mode activation...Etc without having to look at the software....
Djkom 9:59 PM - 8 July, 2015
The combo TTM57 mkII + AKAI AFX is really mess !!! I noticed really weird things when a I change the modes from both unit...does someone else notice these issues when combine different controllers in the same time in SDJ ???? I'm sure it's a know issue...
Hope it will be fixed quickly
PopRoXxX 10:01 PM - 8 July, 2015
Check out what was said here so far ....

serato.com

Are you having this problem or similar problems to this?
Djkom 7:13 AM - 9 July, 2015
it's exactly that !!! Does any Serato member aware of this issue?
boogiebears 9:11 AM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
..does someone else notice these issues when combine different controllers in the same time in SDJ ????

..ive had a few issues using the 57mk2 in combination with other controllers - namely the DN-HC1000s and the Reloop Neon, and have reported issues with support. the combination of 57mk2 and Serato Remote has been somewhat buggy for me as well, though its nothing that i can reliably reproduce. it bugs out sometimes, and other times it doesnt.

Quote:
Does any Serato member aware of this issue?

from my last correspondence with support, they are aware of the issue and i believe the fix priority is high, but they havent quoted a date for a fix.. same thing for the footswitch and midi mapping of the joysticks, etc.. if i remember correctly, it did take some time for the 57mk1 and the 62 to get to where it is now.

..i did find a bit of an easter egg - if you could even call that. i am able to access a flip layer on the 57mk2 - though i dont know if its truly an easter egg or if its due to mis-midi-communication or what.
Djkom 10:05 AM - 9 July, 2015
Damn, this sounds really bad that Serato hasn't fix it in 1.7.6 aka the maintenance release which supposed to fix all major issues ... now with the summer holidays I guess we will not have the fix before at least september :(
PopRoXxX 6:00 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
..i did find a bit of an easter egg - if you could even call that. i am able to access a flip layer on the 57mk2 - though i dont know if its truly an easter egg or if its due to mis-midi-communication or what.

oh yeah?! how did you get to this?
boogiebears 2:18 AM - 10 July, 2015
Quote:
Damn, this sounds really bad that Serato hasn't fix it in 1.7.6 aka the maintenance release which supposed to fix all major issues ... now with the summer holidays I guess we will not have the fix before at least september :(

..what's working best for me is using unofficial hardware midi mapped to serato dj. haven't had any issues with that aside from not being able to map some of the things I'd like to.

Quote:
oh yeah?! how did you get to this?

using 57mk2 & Neon combo, push cues/samples button 3 times in a row quickly to crash serato dj. Upon crash, buttons 1 & 8 light blue. Start serato DJ, button 1 enables flip record, 2-7 are deck 1 cues 1-6, and button 8 I can't recall off the top of my head. Mode stays active until cues/samples button is toggled.
PopRoXxX 6:49 AM - 10 July, 2015
Quote:
using 57mk2 & Neon combo, push cues/samples button 3 times in a row quickly to crash serato dj. Upon crash, buttons 1 & 8 light blue. Start serato DJ, button 1 enables flip record, 2-7 are deck 1 cues 1-6, and button 8 I can't recall off the top of my head. Mode stays active until cues/samples button is toggled.

Damn!
wicked223 2:43 PM - 26 July, 2015
+100
Culprit 6:24 PM - 3 May, 2017
Did they ever fix the joystick issue?
AKIEM 8:35 PM - 3 May, 2017
Yes.
DJ Michael Basic 6:23 PM - 13 May, 2017
Its fixed and I now absolutely love my 57mkii.

Additionally, since I purchased it, all 3 fader carriers have broken at different intervals, and even though Rane has been taken over by inmusic, they warrantied all 3 without question.
legacy1281 9:39 PM - 13 May, 2017
So you can program the joysticks however you want now?
Culprit 12:44 AM - 14 May, 2017
Quote:
Its fixed and I now absolutely love my 57mkii.

Additionally, since I purchased it, all 3 fader carriers have broken at different intervals, and even though Rane has been taken over by inmusic, they warrantied all 3 without question.

Good to hear!

How are you using the effects like echo?
DJ Michael Basic 6:50 PM - 20 May, 2017
I'm not really an effects guy...I use the filter, thats about it.
DJ Michael Basic 6:50 PM - 20 May, 2017
Yes you can map the joysticks however you want.